Fraxel ReAura Home Device Ruined my Skin...Any Legal Advice Please - UK

You might have heard that Fraxel has recently...

You might have heard that Fraxel has recently launched together with Philips a fractional laser device that can be used at home. It is called ReAura and currently is not available in the US. It is only sold in the UK and Netherlands. However, I am sure it will be soon be in the US, unless the FDA does not stop them. I hope they will.

I won't go into what the machine does or does not (it mimics in-office Fraxel procedures, but less powerful).

Needless to say, the machine ruined my skin. BIG hyper-pigmentation patches formed on both my cheeks.

Philips offers a telephone skin care consultant, who I contacted when I developed those patches. After sending the consultant (who is not a dermatologist but a aesthetic therapist) pictures of my skin, they told me over email not to worry about the pigmentation, as that was normal as an initial 'spurge'. They advised to carry on to treat my face twice a week as recommended and that at week 6 those marks should fade.

I followed Philips' advice for one more treatment, during which those pigmentation got even darker and bigger. After contacting Philips again, they agreed to pay for a dermatologist to asses my skin. The dermatologist diagnosed me with melasma, and reported that: 'The melasma might possibly have been triggered by a combination of the home laser treatment plus sun exposure and individual susceptibility".

Philips replied that nowhere in the report: "It does state that the laser has caused the skin condition and given that Miss ????'s responses to the skin assessment would not have revealed any contraindication to purchasing the product, we could not have known or predicted that she was susceptible to melasma. Therefore, Philips will not be funding any additional treatment."

I now find myself with a horrible skin condition to treat, and with a hefty bill to pick up (hydroquinone/tretinoin topical prescription treatment + other lotions and potions), which from what I read on here, I might have to use for a long long time.

I am disappointed and not satisfied by Philips response. It is certainly the case that there is a connection between my use of the Fraxel ReAura and the appearance of the melasma. The fact that the dermatologist could not establish direct causality because she didn't physically see me using the machine does not mean that this is not the cause.

I've witnesses it with my own eyes on my own skin, and that is a good enough reason for me to prove my rights. If necessary I am prepared to perform a ReAura Fraxel treatment under medical examination, which I am sure will only prove that the device causes the formation of melasma on my skin.

Can anybody offer any legal advice? I'd really appreciate it.
Many thanks.
Laura

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I am an aesthetic practitioner and I think the reaura at home kit is a complete waste of time. If you want results, go to a clinic and for the same price you can have an intensive laser treatment administered by a professional, who would indeed be able to pre-warn you about possible melasma caused by laser treatment, because, unfortunately, this can happen. More and more of my clients come in with similar problems because they are being misold products by a makeup shop which promises them results which only an in salon treatment can provide and only a professional can help advise clients with the pros and cons of a laser treatment. I would be interested to know if in your initial consultation if it warned you of risks associated by laser treatment i.e. possible scarring, burns, blisters, increase in pigmentation or even a complete loss of pigmentation It is always hard to treat pigmentation because there is always a chance that it may go or may increase or decrease the problem, or in your case, trigger off underlying pigmentation that was not visable on the surface, but having a Visia consultation may well have picked up. If you have signed something that did mention this, then you won't be able to do anything, however, if you were not told the risks associated with this treatment then you may well have a case. I am also surprised that this machine was strong enough to cause this damage in the first place as treatments as aggressive like this should not be allowed to be undertaken by an unqualified person. Did they mention to wear sunscreen and avoid direct sins light whilst using this machine?

Thank you for posting your review.  I am sorry for your bad experience with this process:(