Chin Implant Revision - Tysons Corner, VA

I've always been photogenic but as I've gotten...

I've always been photogenic but as I've gotten older I put on weight in unsightly areas such as my chin which caused my face to also appear rounder. The doctor suggested a small (5 mm) implant in addition to neck lipo.

I am not sure how I feel about my chin now. I almost think the placement is a little too low which makes a small 5 mm look larger than it really is. At some angles it looks good and at others it looks masculine. Also, I feel the doctor may have over lipo'd my neck which is still healing from all the lumps and unevenness. That will be another picture for another time.

I want to provide this update. I have decided to...

I want to provide this update. I have decided to have the implant placed higher. The implant was originally intended to be a preemptive strike for jowls, hence a pre jowl implant. The doctor shaved the implant before placing it higher so there is not too much extra projection.

I'm less than a week out from surgery and have significant swelling. I will continue to keep you updated.

My surgeon originally placed a 5 mm silicone pre...

My surgeon originally placed a 5 mm silicone pre jowl implant in a lower position in order to lengthen what we concurred was a "too round" face. For years the noticeable break between the jawline and the chin has bothered me. The side profile I liked, but the front was too long and I felt it looked unnatural for my heart shaped face.

We decided that rather than remove it, we would try placing it a higher position in order to eliminate the break between the jawline and chin, and to better fill out any jowls while giving me back my original shape.

I went under general anesthesia (about 90 minutes, I believe), and as soon as I awoke, the doctor handed me a mirror (I'm probably one of those rare people who awake bouncing and happy). I was very pleased with the change, so much so I couldn't stop smiling and looking in the mirror when I got home. However, swelling set in the next day, and the bottom of my face looks as if I have a golf ball stuck inside my chin. There is also swelling under the neck and along the jawline. It looks like there is a golf ball in my chin, and the swelling has lengthened the face one again and makes it appear asymmetrical.

I am really hoping this is temporary. My boyfriend says I look younger with the new shape (being closer to my face) but I worry about the extra side projection when I smile. Frankly, there was nothing wrong with my face in the first place. I think lipo under my neck would have been sufficient to bring out the natural contour of my face.

I will give it until early next year. If I dislike it, I plan on having it removed.

I will update with photos.

It's been several months since my implant revision...

It's been several months since my implant revision and I want to say that it is not worth it. It curls up and when I pout, it wrinkles. A recommended Botox injection pushes my bottom lip inward, making it appear thinner than it really is. When I try to pout, it wrinkles horribly at the bottom and middle. It looks like my chin has been pricked by pins multiple times. In fact, it looks like a pin cushion.

Since this doctor's pride will not allow him to remove it, I will be forced to pay more and find someone else. I already have the doctor in mind.

I am very disappointed and I am worried I might end up with unsightly scarring, sagging, or witch's chin.

Still not happy

I want the implant removed but the doctor refuses to remove it and I am pretty upset to the point where I will write a new review and reveal him by name. It does not matter if HE thinks it looks good. The point is, I DO NOT, and time is a wastin'. I am getting worried about what it will look like should it take this many years to fix the problem.

I consulted with another doctor and it will cost $2500 to remove the implant. The doctor agreed that it is too big for my face. And quite unnecessary! I am so worried that I will be disfigured because of a stupid, unnecessary chin implant.

Totally miserable

The implant is looking worse. It gives me slight jowling. I thought the purpose of a pre jowl implant was to prevent jowling. I am very depressed. The original surgeon agreed to waive the doctor's fee finally but the anesthesia will cost $2000! RIDICULOUS! I can't believe they are charging this much for an hour's work of surgery. Their fee was never this high.

I am seriously considering removing it myself. I wish there was a local doctor who would do the work for no more than $1000.

So miserable.

Chin implant removed - finally!

I have found a surgeon in Beverly Hills to remove my chin implant. I underwent the surgery only two days ago (Thursday) and so far I have no pain, just swelling, and zero discomfort. He did a very nice job with bandaging, too. Upon consulting with him, he said the implant was not placed in a proper position, nor was it affixed to the bone! I repeat, it was not affixed to the bone. He could actually slide the implant and because it was done improperly, he remarked that he wouldn't be surprised if it caused a speech impediment, to which I replied that yes, it actually has impaired my speech.

What is frustrating is I had pointed this out to the original surgeon and he dismissed it with "you don't want your mouth hanging open." I have no idea what that answer was supposed to mean, but it didn't address the issues at hand.

I will be posting photos after the bandages come off. The current surgeon said there is a possibility of deformity and if so, I would have to get another implant, but because he's a face surgeon, I trust him and defer to his expertise.

Recovering from chin implant removal

My removal was on 2nd of April. The bandages and stitches will come off and out next week. Here are some pics of after the surgery.

Bandages off after chin implant removal. One week out.

Not sure if he was the best choice of doctor for this particular job. I am getting a second opinion with someone who specializes in chins.