Starting to Feel Nervous About Results...

I had abdominoplasty, breast lift, and breast...

I had abdominoplasty, breast lift, and breast augmentation surgery about two months ago, and although I'm basically happy with the lift/augmentation, I am getting more nervous and upset as each day passes when it comes to the tummy tuck. First of all, my surgeon completely downplayed the recovery - you will be basically unable to move for 3 or 4 days afterwards because your abs will be in such pain. Getting up from bed and getting into bed are excrutiating! Next, the drains are icky (for lack of a better word), uncomfortable, and very difficult to dress around. I had to go and buy a whole elastic-waist skirt wardrobe because the tubes didn't fit into any of my clothing without tugging on their entry points. Lastly, I was told I could shower right away, and I'm convinced that this is why my incision became infected at about the 4-week point. The center of my incision, where the infection was, is now a large circle of scar tissue about the size of a quarter. Okay, so all of that is a nuisance, but my real terror is that I'm going to need a revision. The doctor didn't have to construct a new belly button for me because my belly button was, apparently, 'high' to begin with. Now everything below my bellybutton is taut, and the area above my belly button is even looser and crepier than it was pre-op. I can no longer wear a bikini because it's so obvious. When I spoke to the doctor's staff, they told me it was too soon to tell and that it was probably just swelling, to which I replied that I would think that swelling would tighten the skin, not make it looser. Now the doctor says he is going to do laser tightening on the loose area, but not for at least 2 more months. I'm not convinced that this will remedy the problem. I've basically had to force myself to stop thinking about it, because it only makes me more and more upset. Another question I have is, who pays for any revision needed? I will be incredibly pi**ed off if I have to outlay any more cash, since I've already paid over $15,000 for my breasts and my tummy. Does anyone know the answer to this? Thanks for listening to my story, I know it's a little long!

(It pains me to do it because I so hate how I...

(It pains me to do it because I so hate how I look, but I am posting my 'after' picture here so that anyone who is interested can see exactly what I'm talking about!)

Okay - I am now 6 months out from my tummy tuck surgery, and because the sagging and crepiness on my upper abdomen has not resolved (surprise, surprise), my plastic surgeon is performing laser tightening on that area.  I had my first laser treatment last week and have not noticed any difference as of yet.  Apparently I will have at least 3 treatments, spaced a month apart.  I am quite unhappy with my results, and as I said in my original review, I feel that the doctor unilaterally decided at the last minute to give me a 'mini' tummy tuck so that a new belly button would not have to be constructed.  He avers that he did, in fact, stitch my abdominals, thereby making it a 'full' tummy tuck, but I'm not sure I even believe him at this point!  I don't know what to believe.  All I know is that I am not overweight, I work out regularly, and I have done abdominal exercises nearly my entire adult life, and after undergoing this tummy tuck, my stomach is still slightly distended and my skin is loose and saggy.  At what point do I take off my gloves and let the surgeon know that I'm not just marginally unhappy with the results, I'm EXTREMELY unhappy with the results?

Also, my incision had a 'dog ear' on one side that the doctor removed in his office.  Is the dog ear to be expected, or is that, too, the sign of a poor job?

Any comments would be much appreciated!

Hi , i do not know what your doctor promised you or what did you accord , but evaluating your pictures what I see is He did not do a full abdominoplasty and when we do small interventions we get small or poor results , this is what happened to you , your abd needed a complete abdominoplasty or tummy tuck , but not a mini TT, because the excendent skin in the upper part above your belly bottom there is no way to remove it unless you raise the abdominal flap until the distal part of the sternum , to do this you have to create a new belly bottom and your belly bottom is the same one you had your whole life do not make much effort waisting money you need to have a full abdominoplasty to get rid of this results
I was looking up something on google and this post came up. I know exactly what your going through. I look the same as you but in my eyes worse. I have been like this from a colon procedure where the doctor punctured me and I started bleeding to death. I had to have er surgery and the doctor that did that did not close me right so for the last 2 years I had to have 4 hernia surgeries. I cry everytime I look in the mirror. I'm 5'2 fit and my stomach was my thing. Was always flat and tight because I worked it out 4 times a week all my life. Now I can't wear any of my great swimwear. After the last surgery they put in a 12x12 piece of mesh and every time I ask the PS if he can fix it he says no since everything has grown around the mesh they will never be able to do a TT on me. My stomach looks almost the same as yours and if you could see all the photos of me and the infections from all the surgeries I had you would not believe it. I'm still looking for a PS that can help me out with this but so far I haven't found one. This had ruined my life in every aspect. My heart goes out to the way you feel.
Sorry to hear about your experience . Looking at your photo ... I would not be happy either. There should not be any sagging skin after a tummy tuck. You should only be experiencing tightness, the same feeling you experience after an abdominal workout at the gym. I would certainly tell your ps how you feel and I dont think laser is going to tighten you up. You paid good money to have the work done and you expect better results. Go back and have it sorted out. It's bullish-t that you have to wait month after month . I would not accept it. Good luck x
I completely feel for you. It saddens me to hear that you didn't receive great results as you should have. I am somewhat going through the same type of thing although it's only been 3.2 weeks post op TT for me, I am deeply in fear that my surgeon didn't do a good TT. I'm like you, I am thin, pretty fit. My skin sagged due to 4 pregnancies. No matter how thin I got, my skin just sagged. Now, my so called, "new and improved" stomach looks thus far like a bad job. I am so upset. I have a significant indentation from where the upper stomach meets the lower stomach. It's so weird and although, again, it's still early, I really don't see how this will smooth out. I saw my PS yesterday and she really didn't offer up any explanation but rather kept defending herself even though I wasn't on the attack, I was just questioning why the major difference from upper belly to lower. She actually told me that the majority of women do not get smooth results and that those who have, probably ran into complications with wounds, etc!!!! I told her that I viewed video diaries of HUNDREDS of women whom have had TT and they had no issues and looked amazing. Even women much much larger than myself, had AWESOME results. I am so frustrated because if I have to have a do over, I don't have the money to do that and she said to me that if I wanted her to "touch" it up should it not improve on it's own, she would but there would be a charge of course. I hope you get that Dr of yours to refund your money and maybe you should seek another Dr to fix it. Best of luck to you and I really do feel your pain.
wow I am really crying now after reading all these posts. I know exactly how you feel. I had a mini and although my lower ab looks good with the execption of puckering and a "dog ear' as they call it on one side. The upper looks much worse now and the sagging droops around the belly button and into the lower area in the upper half of the lower ab. I am just sick about this and I am so sorry for you.
siouxmac I'm sorry that you had a disappointing experience, your story is touching and saddens me. I only hope and pray that your PS will correct his errors and redeem himself, I can only imagine how difficult it is to put your body back in the same hands not knowing if he is even Capable of giving you your desired results but I commend you for you bravery. Make sure you make notes to take them with you discussing ALL of your issues that need to be corrected and your expectation, leave not one stone unturned and go over ever detail with him twice to confirm his intentions and post op outlook. I would even bring wish pictures to show him and if he's not confident in his abilities to deliver then ask for a refund and seek out a better PS with reviews and B&A that are more favorable to what you want to achieve. Best wishes
Hi, Sorry you've had such a bad tme of it..I say tell the surgeon you are most unhappy with your results, as soon as possible!!! and he will have to fix it immediately, as NO cost to you ofcourse! Can you explain what 'dog ears' are Best of luck Sam
SamanthaD when you get a tummy tuck the end of the cut from one side to the other depending on the cut and when stitched back together as healing closes the incision the ends where the stitching is kinda flaps over in healing like a dogs ear that's where the terminology comes from. I'm not sure if keeping a Faja or silicone strips would help minimize in a higher risk case but I've seen several reviews where the girls suffered from dog ears on their TT.
Thanks so much for that : )
NP all Love
Im so sorry for your experience I hope that It gets fixed properly and you will get the joy of being happy with your results.
Hello, I have just had a tummy tuck here in Australia and my scar is hip to hip. To me it looks like your PS has done a mini tuck as you can tell by the lenghth of your scar and the loose skin still above your belly button. My belly button was brought in though another hole and my ab muscles were tightened and all the skin is pulled tight so no loose skin should be above your belly button. I was in surgery for about 2/half to 3 hours..If you have paid for a full i would go back and have a go at him..I'm surprised a surgeon would actually do this, not nice..I hope everything works out for you..
I wish you luck in getting all this behind you and looking great!
wow, I went looking for pictures of TT results due to being unhappy with my results. I have to say how obvious it is that you did not get a full TT. Though my results were poor due to my surgeons error, at least I know she was doing what she thought would work. Yours' seems just plain lazy! Does he think you are a moron to not notice he didn't do the top half? He did not release the upper skin and pull it downwards. Had he done that he would have had to make you a new belly button. Ie: more work. If he did tighten the upper muscles he would have had to release them from the skin so pulling the skin down would have not been much more work, therefore I doubt he did that either.
do you have pictures posted on here?
Having this done thursday. In RI who was your doctor?
I had a TT two weeks ago and my incision is hip bone to hip bone. My surgeon covers all aftercare/revision for a full year. I hope your surgeon was able to revise your abdomen with the expected results!
can you let us know how your revision surgery went?
Thank you all so much for your various comments - your insights have been invaluable to me. I ultimately went for both a second opinion and a legal consultation. My PS maintains that he tightened my abdominal muscles all the way up to my breastbone, so in his eyes he performed a 'full' tummy tuck. It is patently obvious that I didn't receive a full TT, but I stand nothing to gain by accusing my PS of lying. The second opinion I received (which cost $150) was that my original surgeon didn't perform a full tummy tuck, so that wasn't particularly helpful. My subsequent meeting with an attorney was an eye opener - he basically said that malpractice insurers don't settle until they've forced you into court, eaten up years of your life, ridiculed you for your vanity, and cost you thousands and thousands of dollars on expert opinions, etc. That's not what I want at all. As it stands now, my PS is performing revision surgery on me on March 31st. I will not have to pay his fees, but I do have to pay for all of the hospital fees, which total approximately $3,000. This absolutely infuriates me, but I don't feel that I have a choice. He holds all of the cards in this situation, unfortunately. Why my surgeon would want a client out there who is extremely unhappy (i.e., me) just to save himself $3,000 is a mystery to me, because I will have nothing complimentary to say about him when all is said and done, and we all know how quickly word spreads. Very short-sighted of him, in my opinion. If this were a matter of him tweaking something that I was marginally unhappy with, okay, I would get that. Sadly for me, this is not a matter of tweaking, my stomach is unsightly and botched by anyone's standards. For me to have to undergo a SECOND surgery, with all of the attendant risks and downtime, AND pay for it - well, let's just say that I am beyond pissed. My surgeon could have almost completely ameliorated my upset by paying for the hospital fees out of the over-$15,000 I paid him last June. In any case, please, all of you, think good and healing thoughts for me on the 31st! I want nothing more than to simply move on (with a nice, flat abdomen, preferably)when this is finally over! Thanks again!
I wil pray for you I had my surgery about 4 wks ago now and am hoping my minimal disappointment will diminish with swelling lets hope this time his/her vanity will make them give u a beautiful result on the revision
There is very little doubt by your photo that you had a mini. I had a mini about 2 yrs ago and the scar was short like yours. I recently had a full tt because of the skin right above my belly button. I am not really happy with my results I'm 6 1/2 weeks post op and my upper abs are sticking out and there is still loose skin. I dread confronting my ps too. It's a lot of money for a poor result. Good Luck and plz post how it goes....
Based on your photo it appears to me he only did a mini tuck. I had a full tummy tuck and my scar is hip bone to hip bone. I would research options such as legal...Good luck!
Thanks for your response. If you paid for a full tummy tuck then you should ask him to give it to you or you should demand your money back! I would ask for your OR records to determine how long it took him to do the operation (his cut time to close time). In my hands, a mini tummy tuck is performed in around an hour, including muscle repair below the belly button. With a surgical assistant I can do a full tummy tuck with full muscle repair above and below the belly button (not floating) in around 2h:15m. In my honest opinion, your belly button does not look like it was floated down. Frankly when surgeons are doing full tummy tucks they don't routinely float the belly button. They usually make the scar around the belly button. For some women who have high riding belly buttons, cutting around the belly button leaves a scar around the belly button and a second vertical scar in the midline somewhere below the belly button but above the tummy tuck incision. Floating the high riding belly button is one way to avoid this, but it is not common. Also, looking at how short your incision is, I really question whether you can tighten enough vertically with such a short incision. In my hands your incision would have ridden up along the angle of your groin to your hip bone area, even if I was using the high lateral tension operation. Any surgeon worth their good name would provide you with at least one attempt at revision. In my practice, I revise without recharging a surgeon's fee (within one year), but the patient pays for OR and anesthesia use. Just maintain a good level of communication with your surgeon and his staff.
Hello again! Mother of 5 - I love your 'be as firm as your desired abs' advice! Thanks for your comments. Dr. Shah - I believe my PS DID 'float' my belly button down without cutting around it. He was able to do that because according to him, it 'sat high' to begin with. I'm curious why he would do that if it wouldn't ultimately produce an attractive result? Also, I am not a smoker and I was not trying to avoid the full TT procedure. I was fully aware of the likely results of the TT, including the extent of the scarring. It seems that now I have both a nasty scar (replete with dog ear) AND a saggy abdomen! As it stands now, money is an issue, and I'm afraid that involving a second opinion would end up costing me thousands of dollars more. I also understand that having the surgeon that did a poor job initially now perform any revisions is a big risk, as well. This is my conundrum! I definitely feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. My second laser tightening session is on Monday, January 5th - any suggestions on how I should handle voicing my displeasure with my PS? I'm loathe to make him defensive! Again, thank you all for your insights.
From your pictures, it appears that you have had a mini-tummy tuck only. Unless your surgeon performed a procedure where the belly button gets "floated" down without cutting around it, you only had the lower part of your abdomen tightened. Good luck with the laser skin tightening as it probably won't be that successful. If I were you, I would get a second opinion after six months. Several questions I have are: 1. Are you a smoker? and 2. Were you trying to avoid the full tummy tuck procedure after going over your surgical options with your doctor? Manish H. Shah, M.D. Denver, Colorado