42 Year Old Stay-home Mom of 2 (3 & 5 Years Old) -

My surgery is just 4 days away and I feel like I...

My surgery is just 4 days away and I feel like I am planning my life as if I am moving into a fallout shelter. Not only am I stocking up on necessary items my family may need, but I am trying to shop for items I will need to eat, clean my incision, entertain (magazines/books) and use for my comfort. right now, I am nervous as to what type of menu I should plan to have on hand the days right after my tummy tuck. suggestions please!

4 days post-op tummy tuck & lipo to flanks & inner thighs

I am in shock as to how good I feel after only 4 days post surgery. I was definitely in need of help the day I came home from surgery to get in/out of bed & up/down from the toilet. By day 2 I was able to do it all on my own but in very slow motion! Day 1 I was alarmed by the fluid (which is draining out of a tube from low in my pubic area) that was soaking my garment. I thought I tore my stitches but I learned that the hole made for the tube is not a snug fit therefore, the fluid leaks out at that skin/tube connection. I just put a panty liner over it and find that if I move quickly or bend over to far, that is when it leaks out on my skin. At the same time the drain reservoir which is supposed to collect all the fluid has been easy to handle. Day 1 it filled up faster and days 2,3 & 4 it has been much less. I was really happy to take a shower yesterday , day 3. I was careful in removing the dressing that cover my taped up stitches. I still have no feeling in my stomach on the stitch line. I accomplished a shower alone and stood in the bathroom for 15 min after to make sure I was not only towel dried but air dried (incision line) so I didn't dress and cover up damp tape, etc.
I had been uncomfortable and felt more and more bloated because I had not had a bowel movement and it was day 3 yesterday. Knowing that the pain meds caused constipation, I decided to go down to 1/2 the dosage early in the day. By afternoon yesterday, I decided to not take any pain meds and I was just fine the remainder of the day and slept thru the night. Today, day 4, I have not needed any pain meds and FINALLY had a bowel movement. What a relief!!!!
I still have not gone outside and my kids have missed after school activities since I don't feel comfortable driving yet. I hope to get out on Mother's Day (5 days from now). My drain is scheduled to be removed the day after. I have to say that right after surgery and all of day 1 I noticed the major positive difference to my body's shape. I'm more swollen now so I'm patient in seeing the good results from surgery one day soon!

Staggering Percocet and Xanax was the answer for me. 5 days of pain then just pure happiness to have the pooch gone :)
I was the same way. I felt like I was preparing to have another baby lol. As far as yourself you won't really need anything for the surgery. Most ps provide the compression garmet and you just change the drains for the first week. Just clean the house, prep a little food for your hubby and kids, and go food shopping and you should be good. I literally had to force myself to eat the first week. You have no appetite. I mostly ate cheese sandwiches, crackers, or pretzels just so I could take my pain meds without getting nauseous. One thing that helps is alcohol pads. If you keep them by your bed and smell one when you're nauseous it takes it away. The first 3-4 days are going to suck but after that it's easy. Every day gets better and by 4-5 weeks you'll feel 100% again. I'm a stay at home mom to 3. My kids are 4,3, and 15 months. I'm 5 weeks post op and I just started exercising lightly again. My swelling is getting better and I love my stomach in the morning. My scar is also super faded already. Don't worry or stress in a few weeks you'll be so happy you did this. Good luck!!!!!
Hi, i m on d same side as u. Booked my TT with muscle repair and lipo for june 11th. And i m dead scared. Cant sleep thinking abt d recovery after.
I had a full TT in Feb with extensive hernia/ muscle repair. I worried night after night about the surgery. I really wish I hadn't because it was pretty easy. Ask your PS about Experal (nerve block injection given during surgery). It kept me numb for a good 3-5 days. I never took any pain meds. I enjoyed watching movies and relaxing. : ).
Thanks jan40. I m gonna call today to find out abt it wat he says.
Hi called my PS but they dnt use pain pumps or nerve block injection. So sad to hear this :(
Don't worry. My doctor didn't do either one. The pain really isn't that bad at all. You're uncomfortable for 3-4 days. But I was expecting excruciating pain and it really is no where near that.
Mine didn't either, but the vicodin staggered with Valium is keeping me comfortable. There is a little pain but it is manageable. Just drink lots of fluids to keep the swelling down. I didn't drink enough last night and woke up with more pain because of it. Make sure you have lots of ice packs in the freezer. They are really helping with the swelling and incision site stinging.
That depends on you and your body and how much muscle repair is needed and the surgeons skill, but for me after the first 48 hours I was managing to feed myself again with my feet as I don't have any arms. You will be sore and a bit uncomfortable but in my opinion with paracetamol and ibuprofen you will cope well. Avoid codeine based meds unless you really need them as these make you quite constipated and if you have had much muscle repair it may be hard work going to the loo. Try not to worry and see if yoou can get some support with the kids for the first few days once you are home.
Remember that it is only temporary... This is something that you will be able to enjoy the rest of your life :)
Good luck on your upcoming procedure. As far as food is concerned, my appetite wasn't much like the first week so I mostly ate like apple sauce. Get a power lift recliner, it is a must!!! Arnica gel works good for the bruising. The pain pills are constipating so you can buy some dulcolax to help you make #2, buy some tank tops (MAKE SURE THEY ARE NON RIBBED- the lines make you itchy) and wear them inside out under your post op garment. Get a back scratcher. Female urinal EZ-PEE found on amazon for like 7$. Get non stick gauze cuz its a bit*h removing gauze that is stuck to your already sore parts...
What special diet??? They are not operating on your intestines just lopping offf some spare skin and perhaps a bit of fat into the bargain?? The constipation comes from codeine based pain killers. Avoid these and just use paracetamol and ibuprofen and you'll avoid those problems. It is not painful, just a bit sore !!!!!
Not sure what you are speaking about... I said nothing about a special diet. Just that I was only able to tolerate apple sauce after my procedure. Since I have had the procedure, I do know firsthand that the intestines aren't lopped off. Being that I am a registered nurse I also know that constipation comes from the codeine in pain killers that contain codeine. I also know as a nurse pain is subjective- so what hurts patient A, may not affect patient B. So maybe apap or ibuprofen may work for you- just not for everyone. Aside from that it seems that you feel the procedure is not painful- just a bit sore. That is where nursing goes wrong. You can't assume someone elses pain level. You can only assess what their perception of their pain is.
I appreciate all you say and didn't realise you had a nursing background or I wouldn't have bothered mentioning the codeine, although it may be helpful to those who are not in the 'know'! Pain is certainly subjective as many of my fellow Thalidomiders (I guess being a nurse you are familiar with what I am talking about here) know as most of us suffer chronic pain related to the mis use of our bodies in an effort to live 'normal' lives. My husband also suffers from fibromyalgia, so yes, I am totally aware of the subjectivity of pain but comparisons can be drawn I.e. The pain is less than a C section ....... So this may help those who have all ready had C sections to be able to gauge what pain to expect. Also those who have already had surgery of some sort will probably cope better with pain levels than those who haven't as our bodies begin to know what to expect. This is typical of joint replacement patients. As for special diet, someone did comment on this and I have obviously mixed up two different threads with your comment relating to apple juice. Sorry if my comment offended you, none was intended.
I just had a full TT with hernia repair three months ago. I had lots of smoothies in the first two days. I was able to pretty much eat anything beyond that. Ask your PS about Experal. It is a nerve block injection given during surgery. It kept me numb and pain free for days. I never took any of my pain meds....only one muscle relaxer at night to sleep. The surgery and recovery were both easy and I wish I hadn't have worried about it so much. I had severe diastasis and pretty much feel almost normal at 3 months. Good luck!
My surgery is on 5-1-14 and I've been running around trying to get weeks "ahead" also! Trying to anticipate my husband and kids needs for the next several weeks while guessing about what I'll be able to do after the surgery has been more stressful than worrying about the actual surgery! Hang in there :) Good luck! Oh, after my previous surgeries, I kept bland foods around for the first week or so. Things like yogurt, crackers, instant oatmeal, protein shakes, jello, soups. I doubt you'll really be very hungry at first. It is more like just having a little something to avoid taking meds on an empty stomach. Oh,I was also advised to avoid anything carbonated at first.
Thank you for responding! My surgery (tummy tuck & lipo) is 5-2-14! I'm already finding it hard to fall asleep at night cuz I'm getting really nervous about the recovery period. My husband wants to take the kids for an overnight visit with him to his parents so I can have a quiet home the 2 days following surgery. Is that a bad idea? Home alone 24-48 hours post-op? Also, any suggestions on what to tell my 5 yr. old daughter? I have said nothing about my procedure but figured the flu in bed could work for a few days with her? I know she will talk freely about "my mom's tummy was cut open" if she knows the full story.
The idea of a quiet house sounds pretty appealing but I know that with my c-section (which is an easier recovery from what I've been told) I couldn't get up by myself for at least 36 hours. You'd need to have someone else with you if he goes. I told my kids that I'm having surgery. They are 7 and 8 (and could easily discuss it at school) but there would be no way to hide having such a major surgery. I didn't tell them about my pregnancy for the first 10 weeks when they were 6 and 7. They noticed I was tired a lot and was throwing up from the morning sickness. One day I overheard them talking about "if mommy is dying." I had no idea they'd be so observant and would worry. So my husband and I decided to never try and hide something so big from them again. However, I don't want everyone we know to know my personal business so I just told them that mommy's muscles tore during my pregnancy with their sister (true) and that I'm having it fixed. I told them that I'd feel really tired and sore at first but would be all better soon.
Trust me C sections are far, far worse!!!! This was a walk in the park. I only needed paracetamol and then could have managed without. I had TT and breast lift all in one go! I don't have any arms and use my feet as hands and I was out of bed and on the commode within just a few hours of getting back from surgery. The only help I had was a hand behind my head to just pull me off the pillow, the rest I did myself just pushing with my legs. WHY is everyone making it sound so horrific .. It is not painful!! Sore and a bit stiff yes, but no more lol
I ate Greek yogurt with fruit for breakfast, green salad with chicken for lunch and a vega-protien shake with almond milk for dinner. That worked for me - I always felt full very quickly and I had a bm every day - never had the constipation that so many people go through. I am 3.5 weeks post-surgery and I still don't really have my appetite back - I'm not working out yet though, so that could be part of it.
Thanks for the meal suggestions. Are you getting around ok, 3.5 weeks later? Do you experience much pain walking, sitting down, getting out of bed, etc...?
I am doing great now. My experience was : Days 1-3 - sore, hunched over, pretty helpless and extremely swollen. You'll think this lasts forever , but it doesn't - be strong! Days 3-7 - standing straighter ( but not totally straight), able to shower by myself, getting easier to get up and down off the chair, toilet but still needed a hand getting out of bed. Still very swollen. Days 7-10 - really turned a corner - moving faster, almost standing straight, doing everything by myself. Still swollen - but staring to go down very little. Went back to work Day 10 and nobody knew I had surgery. Weeks 2 and 3 have been good - swelling is gradually going down - VERY SLOWLY, I am being careful with what I eat as to not gain weight since I'm not working out. I'm cleared for light exercise with no core work, but it makes me swell up, so I'm going to wait until next week. At 3.5 weeks I would say I 75-80% - I move around fine, my abs are still just a bit sore, swelling is still there, but I can finally get some of my looser pants on. I can sleep in my own bed. I have good energy during the day and am doing everything I did before except working out - but that's coming back soon.
"Sleep in my own bed"....will I not be recovering right away when I come home from surgery in my own bed?
A lot of people spend the first week or two in a recliner. I didn't have a recliner, so I bought a Contour Backmax and slept in the guest room because it took up too much of my regular (queen) bed that me & my husband normally sleep in. Also, I slept very sporadically, so I would turn the light on & read in the middle of the night. Once I was able to lay on my side (close to the 3 week mark) I was back on the regular bed. Still can't twist and turn the way I used to to get comfortable, but it's way better than being in that reclined position on my back all night. Still can't lay flat in my back - doctor's orders.
Laying on my side by end of first week and my horizontal scar goes hip to hip. Laying flat I. Bed by the third night ..... What are they doing to you all in the US lol