Septo-rhinoplasty scheduled for Nov. 1st. Having some reservations. - Tukwila, WA

Hey all. I have a septo-rhinoplasty scheduled with...

Hey all. I have a septo-rhinoplasty scheduled with Dr. Antonio E. Mangubat in Tukwila, WA on Nov. 1 coming up in a few weeks. This is my second surgery, I had a breast lift about a month and a half ago done by the same ps and I decided to go with him for my nose. I've always hated my nose; I have a very round, short tip, and a wide bridge with a slight bump on it....it feels big to me. I've wanted to change it since I was young, so it's something I've thought about for a long time. Breast surgery was my first priority and a real big boost for my self-confidence, and now that I've done that I would like to finally get my nose done. Rhinoplasty is something I approached with some hesitation and caution, it involves changing something that is in plain sight for everyone to see and it makes me nervous, as I'm sure it does most people on here. Some of the horror stories on here are making me uneasy! Haha! But there are risks to everything, I suppose.

I attended my consultation a little more than a week ago. I discuss my concerns and thoughts with my ps, and he in turn used that visual computer program that is so rad - he took my picture and reshaped my nose so I could get a better idea of what the end result would be like. I was so WOWed! Some of the changes I thought I needed didn't make sense or even occur to me. He told me that if my nose were actually to be lengthened using a cartilage (or bone, if necessary) graft, that it would balance my features out much more beautifully. He will be shaping the tip more as well, filing down the small bump on my bridge and the sides.

After my consult I was ready to get it done! I was really apprehensive about telling my boyfriend though.... I had never expressed to him before how I felt about my nose. Eventually we talked and he was so surprised that I would have insecurities about it. He was so understanding and said that even though he didn't think I needed it he would support me either way. Best thing I needed to hear...I really wanted him to be willing to be on board with me through all this. God, I love him.

So I have my preop appt in about a week. I'm excited to start going shopping for all the things I need. And let me tell you, I WILL be starting some Colase or some kind of laxative the day before surgery....after any kind of general anesthesia for that matter!

I failed to ask my doc if he would be doing an open or closed surgery for this. It is my understanding that an open procedure would take a lot longer to heal... and he said that everyone is different, but that the recovery should be fine. I'll ask at my appt next week.

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to read my story. If any of you have tips or suggestions on what to expect, they would be much appreciated. Don't be a stranger!

So, I got a call today from my ps's office asking...

So, I got a call today from my ps's office asking me if I could reschedule my operation a day earlier...on Halloween. Well, at least I don't have to worry about a costume or going out in public if I want to, right? Hahaha. I didn't really have anything special planned anyway. It's an extra day to recover before going back to work so I'm excited it's moved up a day.

Since I last posted on here I've been having a lot of anxiety about getting my nose done, to the point that some times I even begin to like it. Funny huh? I've been having doubts about my ps, not because he said or did anything that would make me question whether or not he'll do a good job, but because he is not a facial plastic surgeon. I've noticed a lot of people here go with an ENT or surgeon who specializes in facial plastic surgery and I am feeling self-conscious that I didn't make the right judgment call. I just feel extremely on edge that I might be making a big mistake and end up with something that I'll regret. I am sure though, that this is normal for most people...? Especially involving something that is smack dab in the middle of your face. I'm getting a septoplasty which, in my particular case, is going to be done not to correct septal deviation, but lengthen and project(?) my nose further outward. I've read that this is a difficult procedure requiring lots of skill and experience. My ps has 30+ years experience and I do feel like I can trust him to work on my body. He is reassuring but has also been realistic and straight forward with me from the start, which I appreciate. No smoke and mirrors.

Anyway, suffice it to say, I guess I haven't thought things through as seriously until now....but I believe a lot of the nervousness and doubts I'm having might be misplaced and just be pre-surgery jitters. Anyway, I could really use some positive feedback or thoughts. Thanks, guys.
Dr. M

Plastic surgeon who performed my breast lift. I originally heard about him through my mom.

Hello Kelpie, What did you decide to do? Is your big day still the day after tomorrow? If so, best wishes!
Hi - I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds too much here, but if you are having reservations about your doctor's potential lack of skill when it comes to rhinoplasties, my advice would be to listen to them. As has been said on these forums and others like these, rhinoplasty is a difficult surgery. I had mine done when I was 18, and he did a bad job, despite having told me with all the confidence in the world that it was a surgery he could take on. He was simply unqualified to do it, as are a lot of doctors, but didn't tell me that. I don't mean to scare you, but if you're going to have a rhinoplasty (especially a more difficult one requiring projection, etc.) I would seek out the names you hear over and over again as being rhinoplasty experts, who do nothing but rhinoplasties/facial surgery, and have consults with some of those doctors before deciding. The consequences are just too serious to do it any other way, in my opinion. Again, I'm sorry if I sound severe, it's just that I am in the rhinoplasty revision boat, having to have another surgery, and I wish someone had told me these things when I was choosing a doctor. From all of the research I have done - months and months - I think the revision rate for rhinoplasties is fairly high and you have to protect yourself against getting a bad nose job as best you can, through lots of research and choosing a qualified surgeon. Just my 2 cents, I hope I didn't sound pushy or judgmental.
Honestly such a reasonable and common feeling to have pre-op..you wonder whether or not your nose is as bad as you think it is, and whether or not it`s even worth having surgery on, etc etc. But believe me, good surgeons will have results that are natural yet effective. If you`ve had concerns and insecurities about your nose`s appearance for a long time, I would say just do it! Obviously know your surgeon and make sure he`s the right choice before saying `yes` to surgery, but other than that, it will honestly be one of the best decisions you ever make! :) People hype it up to be such a huge decision, it`s honestly an easy surgery and such an effective one..I had doubts about my septorhinoplasty, and now I`m thinking why the heck didn`t i do it sooner!!! haha Regardless on what you choose, best of luck !! :)
Come on!!! Easy surgery? Tell this to all the people who are living a nightmare because they ended up with a botched nose, even when perform with top surgeons. Rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult surgeries in the cosmetic industry. Moreover, if you have a thin skin, you can get rosacea, which is a distressing, chronic skin condition that affects the skin of your face. Mistakes happen... and, unless you have a very ugly nose that traumatizes you, it's better not to do it. The girl who started this post, DO NOT need any surgery. She's already beautiful with a very nice nose that makes her face look gorgeous, elegant and with something more than the typical barbie girl. I could be you mother, kelpie. And this would be my advice if you were my daughter.
sorry for my mistakes... I'm writing quickly and English is not my main language. :)
Gotta weigh in again...not trying to set up an argument here, but I have to agree with misslila2. Your surgery may have gone well and was easy for you, but there are lots of people on this board and others who are living with the ramifications of a bad rhinoplasty. It IS a big decision, because if it doesn't go well, you are not only out the money, but you need to save up again for a revision, and go through the whole, difficult process again (anxiety over surgery, time off work, recovery, swelling, etc.). And in the meantime, you have to live with the bad results, usually for at least a year. I am really not looking forward to a revision, and I wish someone had told me then to choose my doctor more carefully. I wouldn't wish what I've gone through on my worst enemy.
And I think you have a great nose and I am a nose critic after living with an ugly one ( :
I live in WA myself and put this surgery off several times. I needed Septorhinoplasty due to a crooked nose because it was broken several times. I was so scared about going to an ENT because they don't have a fancy site with tons of before and after pics. After five years and looking up everything and everyone in WA that could do this surgery I did go with a doctor who specialized in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in the ENT department at the UW. Got lucky that it was all medical and covered by my insurance not only that but he kept my nose looking like my nose while taking away the ugly parts. Only a little over two weeks out and I am happy. My nose is straight I can breath and the hump on top is gone. I did not want my kids asking why I took the nose that looked like the nose they have and chaged it. Don't live with breathing problems I waited way to long!
Please review all if his rhinoplasty before and after shots. Look at people who had noses like yours and or ended up with noses you like. Photoshop your photo into a nose you want and or a nose that you love on somebody else. Just be sure that nose will look good on you. Maybe he is great at rhinoplasty too. But seeing his before and afters will give you a better idea. Also, discuss what and how he will be dreaming with your nose and what techniques to take you from before to your best after. Hope this helps. You want to be very sure because a virgin nose is best and revision is much more difficult and costly.. Hope this us good food for thought.
Just my opinion, but I live my surgeon who did an amazing job on my breasts but i did not go to him for my rhinoplasty. I chose a double board certified facial plastic surgeon specializing in head/neck/nasal. She does rhinoplasty exclusively so that helped me know that no matter what happened or what challenges she was experienced enough with having done a thousand, and also had trained in specialized techniques to deal with very complex issues, like broken nose, thick bulbous skin, as well as predrterminung the look of the goal to strive towards...
Write me anytime. I just had mine. Be sure to take photos if how you want your nose to look after so there can be no mistake of what you wanted. If you ared getting a lot of work done expect to be shocked, panicked and freaked out by your appearance for at least 20 days. But then it starts to look very good very fast. Best wishes and keep me posted!
I think the jitters are par for the course. Have you seen a lot of your PS before/after photos for rhinoplasty? And did any of his patients have a nose like yours? I think that's what I would consider before choosing a surgeon, but maybe it's just cause my nose has a lot of issues :-( (My surgery is scheduled for Dec. 18 and the PS told me it could be up to 4 hours long!)
Good luck to you! Keep us posted on how it goes!
I definitely will. Thank you so much!
You are super beautifull... if you have breathing problems, just do the septoplasty, but not the rhinoplasty. I have had 2 failed rhino and I regret having all of them. Good luck.
Aw, thank you misslila, you're very sweet. I'm so sorry to hear that you've had some negative experiences with rhinoplasty...I imagine that would be extremely upsetting. Some of the reviews on here are absolutely heartbreaking to read. I saw a girl on here and thought her original nose complemented her ethnicity beautifully. She had a rhinoplasty that went bad, but in spite of her situation, even though she didn't like what she saw in the mirror she tried to make the best of things until she was in a position to afford a revision. My heart really went out to her. I made the decision to have this surgery very quickly without doing as much research as I should, and it is only in the past week that I've been feeling very cautious about putting my face in someone else's hands. I appreciate your heartfelt advice and will definitely give the matter some more sincere thought. Much love and thanks.
Yes, please... think about it very carefully. After my first rhinoplasty, I was ecstatic. But, over the years, my nose collapsed and lost its beautiful appearance. Due to these changes, I have lived a life being so self conscious with my nose, that I believe I haven't enjoyed things enough. 10 years after my first surgery, I decided to have a revision rhinoplasty: the worst decision of my life. In the past, I was doing some modelling. Now, I have a botched nose in the middle of my face and my joy and my enthusiasm for life have disappeared. Media make us think that plastic surgery is an easy game that guarantees happiness and beauty: that's a lie! You cannot imagine the amount of destroyed lives due to bad surgeries or to non sustainable ones. You are naturally beautiful... in my humble opinion, in the surgery room, you might lose more than you might win. Be grateful for your beauty and enjoy your life. I honestly believe you don't need to take any risk. I wish you the best.
Excited for you! I live in the same area but am traveling out of state for my rhino.
Oh really, where to? And is it coming up soon? I'm sure it's a lot cheaper other places outside the general Seattle area, but oh well...

Welcome to RealSelf! Breast lifts and rhinoplasties are really different, so make sure your surgeon has lots of experience doing rhinoplasties and that he can show you plenty of befores and afters, too.

Check out this post about supplies to get before your surgery.

And don't be afraid of the open rhinoplasty. You need to do whatever will give you the best result so you never feel the desire for a revision.

Thanks, appreciate the advice. And thanks for the post about what supplies to get. At this point I'm a little clueless on how to fully prepare as I haven't been to my pre-op appt yet.