Invisalign Day 5 - Still Unsure

Day 5 with Invisalign, still not sure. For all the...

Day 5 with Invisalign, still not sure. For all the money and effort, it better be worth it. I was very excited to get them, but the first visit, when they gave me the trays and did the work was quite traumatic. In a conveyor belt, mass production, do-it-as-fast-as-you-can type of facility, you can only hope that they are doing the best job.

They had to put buttons in 10 of my teeth (I was not aware of this before). I was pretty upset about this because I play a wind instrument. But I was really upset, because when they were done, they were left so rough they felt like stones on my teeth. I had been told that there would be a very slight shaving between a couple of teeth. But then the ortho came by really fast with what felt like a chainsaw and sawed large gaps between some of my very good teeth, which I didn't find crooked to begin with. Now it's so obvious that one tooth is shorter than the other, and it was a soppy job sawing, so it looks kind of fake. Then, with not much direction, I snapped on both aligners. I started crying right there.

That night and the next morning, no matter what, I could not get one of the trays off. They did take me in early morning, and they helped take it off. Also, the ortho polished the buttons until they were smooth. After that, it is going okay. But the bottom tray seems to be oversized in the back, and it scrapes the bottom of my tongue. I think that for the tons of money we spend on these things, they could at least have smooth edges. I'm even thinking about getting some very fine jewelry sandpaper and sanding them down myself.

Anyway, after this huge expense, and the at least year and a half (and then some) that I will be somewhat uncomfortable and going through this trouble, I'm really hoping that it will all be fine, and that my teeth will look better at the end, and still be healthy.

At this point it's too soon to know if I recommend. My first impression was: a little quick and sloppy, conveyer-belt, as-quick-as-possible. Also, I see that I am paying more than most of those listed, and I wonder why.

You can take a metal nail file and gently file down any rough edges on your trays. I've only had to do that once. Your mouth will get used to the trays and the buttons. I'm on tray 5, wearing them for two weeks each. The first three days of the new trays are the most uncomfortable. Take an aspirin, put your new trays in at night and go to bed. I think your cost is on track. Mine are 5,200 USD for 13 trays for 7 months. If you are unsatisfied with your dentist, tell them to slow down and explain everything to you. That part you control. Ask to see the computer image of your finish and I suspect you will be very pleased.
I agree - for the money and effort, it better be worth it! Mine cost $5880 for a year and a half treatment (which is going to end up longer) and one year retention - it just depends on length of treatment and severity. The process gets easier as weeks go by. I have 8 buttons on the top teeth, and after a week or two, they won't feel so foreign in your mouth. I also have a few traditional braces on the bottom for now. You will feel a lot of pressure with the first few aligners because your teeth aren't used to moving. I dreaded putting in new aligners, but now I feel pressure for the first day and not much else after. When you switch, put new aligners in before you go to bed so you don't notice the pressure. And I had to go back the next morning to the orthodontist too for them to get my first tray out. I spent over an hour trying to on my own but couldn't. It gets better - I'm on aligner 16 and wasn't sure I would make it this far when I began!
It will be fine!!!!! I just finished my treatment and have been on the retainer for two months now (which I still wear 24/7). I had a mouth full of buttons. In the beginning, I had to use dental wax because of the way my teeth were the trays wouldn't lie flat over two of the teeth and I was cutting my gums. The first week I almost gave up. I also had spaces made between teeth. All I can tell you is that it was so worth it in my opinion. My teeth are so much better, my bite is better and I smile all the time. Give it a couple of weeks, another tray or two. You will get so used to it that it won't bother you anymore. The time goes by really fast too. You'll be so surprised when it's over.