2 Yrs Post Late Stage Tattoo Removal~Give Yourself Time (And Be Realistic)

Ok, so I don't even know where to start. I guess I...

Ok, so I don't even know where to start. I guess I will start out by thanking everyone on here for their stories. I discovered this website a few months ago at about my 6th session into laser tattoo removal. Seeing your stories and words of advice has helped me and now I would like to be able to help someone else too by sharing my story.

So in Dec 2011, I decided I wanted to get a tattoo removed on my wrist. It is an all black outline spiral about 1.5" (I am Caucasian). I just got a new job and was making good money, so I figured it would be best too just laser it off. I remember researching my options...and there was so much to chose from...from laser types, to clinics, not to mention all of the b/f & after photos on the web. I kept hearing the Medlite C6 was one of the best, so I called a local med spa that had it. I guess I was more concerned about using this specific laser than worrying about the clinic. From my understanding, the ink just gets broken down, and dispelled by your body. Cool, I could handle that. So upon my consult, the consultant looked at my tattoo and said it could be gone in 4-6 sessions max, spaced every 2 months apart. I figured a year of torture was not bad...and when she offered me a package deal of 5 treatments at a cheaper cost (it was still expensive), I went with it. I did ask A LOT of questions about the process, the pain, the results, my expectations (100% clearance), side effects, and even how it works in regards to the laser settings. She reassured me about all of my concerns. She was very assuring that I would get 100% clearance and in under a year. I should have known better though when she basically just told me "ahh, the laser breaks up the ink and then you bandage it and out you go".

Either way, I went with it. I started my 1st session in Dec 2011. They did offer me the numbing cream or the lidocaine injections, but I opted only for the numbing cream. Honestly, the cream did not help much at all. It hurt really bad the 1st time, I guess b/c of all of the ink. I was bandaged up and out I went. I had no idea though, that it would burn the skin so bad. I just was so hopeful that underneath it all, my tattoo would have faded. It did fade, so I continued along every 2 months, but did not use the numbing cream again. Nearing my 3rd and 4th treatments, I did notice that the ink was not fading as much anymore. It was very slightly, but not at the rate it started out fading. Still, the trauma to my skin was always just as bad every time. I kept thinking, if I make it to #6, I will be done. I was also a little upset b/c every time I went in for a session, I was treated by a different technician. They each had their own techniques too. Some just passed the laser one time, others two. One treatment would be more damaging than the other, some would heal faster, and some had better/worse results. One technician even asked me how it was treated the last time...like I was supposed to know? I got discouraged and told my consultant that I wanted one tech to treat my tattoo from here on out. She was ok with that, but I was a little disappointed by their bedside manner. So after the 5th treatment, it was still there. Only then, there was this redness starting to form over the whole tattoo. I knew it was due to the laser burn, so I actually stopped treatment for 4 months. The redness did subside slowly, but still remained. Then I decided, let's get this over with. I wanted to continue treatment with the MedliteC6 (didn't know of any others in the area using it) so I called back to schedule another session (#6) which healed kind of the same: little results, redness reoccurred. I waited then 3+months. I figured I would try 1 more time, and I set up #7. When I was there, I told the tech that I was really over the whole process and that I was worried it would never be gone. She just said, hey it could take 10+ times, and no guarantee...which was not what my consultant ever mentioned. I was upset, and told her that this would be my last time. I shouldn't have, b/c I know she turned up the laser hoping to get me the best results....but doing so made me have major trauma to my skin. I remember the scar covered the whole area of the tatt, even on the areas of my skin where there was no ink. It was bad. I think that was the session that caused the hyperpigmentation. Needless to say, I never went back to that place again. I also recently found out that they changed the name of their spa (hmmm...shady)

Anyways, 4months after #7, I was still stuck with this outline. Only now, I was beginning to realize the redness/browning was very apparent and did not go away like it used to. Recovery from #7 was the worst too, and I knew it was b/c of the tech. I reached out to get some second opinions, I even contacted the manufacturer of a few lasers and they all said that the Medlite C6 was a good machine, it's just that not all technicians can operate one properly. I finally came across an actual Doctor. He was very kind and sympathetic to my situation and said that the technicians who treated me we too aggressive, which led to the hyperpigmentation. He said that the consultant should never have promised me 100% removal or given me a set number of required treatments. He said most treatments will take 10+ times at minimal. He also said that if their machine was not calibrated properly, it would not do it's job to the best of its ability. I asked his honest opinion on continuing treatment w/o further trauma and he told me it could be done and would fade w/ another session, but that it was still too red from the last treatment. He advised me to come back in a month. The redness did go down some, so he opted to treat it. I was nervous, but surprisingly, it did not hurt nearly as bad and did not get nearly as red. It still frosted though, so i know it worked. I truly believe the 1st spa did a poor job: poor technicians, poor equipment, poor treatment.

So now here I am, 3 weeks post treatment #8. It has healed really well considering how it used to heal (in regards to the lasting trauma), and it has faded some, but still not to my liking. The lines look blown out/wider and brown...I can only hope this is a result of the final bits of ink. I do know, however, that I am waiting a minimum of 4mos in b/w treatment now and I will only go to the Doctor for treatment (if I continue treatment). My skin is just too exhausted. If I see substantial fading and this redness subsides, I may be open to it. I know (hope) it will continue to fade as it's only been 3 weeks post treatment. However, if this redness remains and the ink doesn't fade much, I think I am just going to be done with this whole process. My Doc did tell me, however, that it is imperative to wait a minimum of a few months (4-5) b/w treatments in their final stages. He said the body does most of the work to cleanse the ink. He also said that the redness would subside, but that that could take up to a year or more from the final treatment! I just wish I had gone to him from the get-go and was informed of all of this...I feel deceived by the 1st med spa. Either way, I know I am in good hands now and I know that I have options...to either wait it out for months and go treatment by treatment or get a cover up. Regardless, I have to let TIME do its thing.

Anyways, I guess what it boils down to from my experience:
1. this process sucks and it takes A LONG time
2. 100% fading is NOT guaranteed.
3. Be wary of who you allow to treat you. I would stay away from med spas.
4. Wait long times in b/w treatments (3-4 mo) as the ink will still fade and give yr skin time to heal.
5. Take care of yourself with plenty of exercise/water/aftercare.
6. Get multiple opinions from an experienced DOCTOR.

I also wanted to add that I personally would NEVER go through this again on any other tattoo. This is no joke. It hurts. It's very costly. It takes a toll on you physically and emotionally (I do believe the release of the ink toxins can play a role too...so I'm not just talking about the pain of the laser). And in order to get the best results in regards to 100% possible fading and healing, you are looking at YEARS of treatment, and at least a year to allow the remnants (redness/browning) to subside. I do like tattoos, I just didn't want this one b/c it was a poor design and on my wrist (very noticeable and poorly done). I do have a few other tattoos that are done technically very well, and I would never get rid of them. I have advised a few others on here to rethink the laser, especially on really nice tattoos that are larger. I guess just knowing that undergoing removal on a relatively smaller tattoo is this bad for me, I would want to help someone out there who thinks this is just a matter of getting over the pain of the laser session and the initial healing. Let me be the first to tell you that is much much more. It gets to your head.

I do wish everybody luck out there going through this, and it's great to know that a community like this exists. It has helped me a lot and I hope my story can do the same for someone else.

*I only started documenting my removal from after treatment #5 b/c I believed that it would have been gone by then. Once it wasn't, I wanted to see for myself if it was fading and then started taking photos/documenting. I am going to post pics below, sorry for the variance in lighting.

5 weeks post session 8I figured s

Hey guys...so I have been commenting a lot and figured I should update too. Since my previous pics are all basically my results months after each treatment, I'm going to post some pics to show my progress 5wks after my last session (#8). Still some slight discoloration (redness) and ink remaining, but overall I am happy with the results :) Healing was a breeze compared to last couple of treatments, so I am optimistic that my skin is in good hands now w/ my current doctor. Since I am going to wait it out a few more weeks/possibly months until my next session, I am hopeful that the ink will continue to fade and that the redness will subside. Hopefully 1, maybe 2 more treatments until this is over! I am happy though, and as long as I continue to see fading and ink remaining, I will undergo the laser.

First 2 pics are of today. Second 2 pics are side by sides. Again sorry for variance in lighting, I must be part chameleon or something. I am going for 100% removal here, but we'll see!.

TYPOS

Don't know what's up w/ the last title, sorry. Must have hit ctrl+c or ctrl+v somewhere along the update. It should simply read: 5 Weeks Post Session 8.
the end.

Check-in w/ Dr, possible blast (#9)...

Hello everyone- I hope you all had a great New Years and Holiday season! I am very hopeful that 2014 will be the year to put this mess behind me once and for all :) I am scheduled for a check-up w/ my Dr this week to get his feedback on where he thinks I stand. It has been approximately 15wks since my last blast session- in that time, I have noticed it fade ever so slightly. The main thing I did notice the most though, has been that my skin texture has mellowed out A LOT in that time; the redness (even the brown) has subsided majorly and the texture is basically back to normal. I seriously believe that allowing all this time in b/w treatments has made each blast session more effective, as the laser does not have to struggle w/ any kind of scar tissue (or textural differences) to get thru in order to target the ink way at the bottom. I still see remnants of ink left, esp on the right side of the tatt as the left side has all but vanished for the most part. If the few remaining darker areas could get to where the other faded lines are, I will be happy to cease treatment. Still, I am open to his suggestions, as he told me last time I got lasered that I may not even need any more treatments and that it is possible it could fade out over the next year....yet I think one, maybe 2 more blasts should do the trick coupled w/ a nice amt of sunshine in the summer to all but camouflage the "ghost".

I am very optimistic in general though, as I continue to see this thing fade w/ no complications. I also agree w/ what many others have said in regards to documenting - it is imperative to do such as the fading occurs practically at a snail's pace - so it can only basically be "seen" in the time lapse of weeks/months. I hope everyone is doing well w/ their removals; I keep seeing updates and positive results so I'm happy for everyone. It is a rough journey indeed, but patience is key as we all very well know. I will update again after my appt. Take care

Blast #9

Ok- so I went in for my check-up and Doc said I was good to go for another blast. The pain was not nearly as bad as the last session but that's b/c there is such little ink left I assume. After it was blasted, I looked down at it real quick b/f it was bandaged (I never watch when I am getting it lasered- the laser bugs me out haha)...it looked frosted and well treated, but not overly treated. So basically, I have no idea what to expect tomorrow after I take the bandage off..? I may still need another treatment but, again, I am advised to wait 4+months in b/w treatments...yet, I personally found the fading to be the best at like the 3rd month concerning my last session, so who knows it could all hopefully just fade into oblivion.

I will update w/ pics tomorrow to show the damage and will continue to update throughout the next few weeks after it heals. I am stoked though, as the laser is not picking up much more ink so I am seeing an end to this...I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

The Damage from #9

So here's what lies beneath...still get that pinpoint bleeding- but overall, the trauma doesn't look that bad and it looks at though it will clear up in about a week or 2. It is not sore unless I bump it and it not on fire or anything. All in all, I'm pretty happy w/ what I see. It's really hard to tell but b/c I know my tatt well, I still see a few deposits of ink behind the redness...I am hoping this ink was hit last night and is on its way out...drinking massive amts of water as I type... :) ;) ;p

1wk Post #9

Only a week out, but figured I'd update...so far the area is healing very well. Again, redness is apparent and some of the scabbing has yet to fall off. Underneath it all though, I am very happy. When I massage lotions/oils into that tatt and the redness goes away for that second, I am very pleased to see that 90% of the tatt is no longer even visible. I know from my last treatment that the redness and browning did fade away, so that does not concern me like it once did. The way I see it now is that, b/c of the laser trauma, I have to replenish/maintain this skin and work massive amts of lotions/oils into it to keep it fully moisturized, maintain the texture and promote fading.

I do have a feeling this may have been my last treatment, even though I see a few deposits of ink in the upper right area of the tatt. Hopefully this will fade out w/ the next few weeks/mos- but even if not, i'm not sure if that would bother me b/c the tatt as a whole doesn't appear legible anymore...more like a mini scar so I am cool w/ that. I guess more time will guide me to decide that decision...I'll update again after a few more weeks..I hope all of you are doing well :)

Bf & After

Sorry to keep updating...I finally found an old pic of me when my tatt was visible bf any laser treatment. The tatt is like 10yrs old but the pic is like 4yrs old. I had to crop it and blow it up so it's all pixelated out but you get the point. Even now looking at it, I'm blown away by the progress..the outline was SO dense (and terrible..what was I thinking??) but I am hoping it's a way to show others the progress and see that this removal process is possible.

BF pic

10wks post treatment#9

Hey guys...so I've been patiently waiting on the sidelines (still checking in here and there) and figured I should update. It's been approx 10wks post treatment #9 and I am still waiting it all out, waiting until at least mid-May (4 months post treatment #9) to gauge the fading and perhaps get one more blast. As I have mentioned and noticed throughout this whole journey- this takes massive (MASSIVE) patience and the results dwindle nearing the end, which is really the kicker through it all :(....

Still however, when I compare pics of where I am now and where I was in mid Jan (15wks post treatment 8) I do see progress. On the downside, it appears as though I see less and less progression in terms of fading (1st treatment I saw the most, 2nd I saw less, 3rd, less, etc etc...) anyways..blah. I am just really happy to be at this point, as I feel as though it is very illegible and something I could cope and live with. I have to admit, winter here on the east coast was brutal this year (it made history!) and I failed to be as active as I usually am. I am an avid cyclist, so I had to resort to hiking which kept me really busy needless to say (although I was bundled like an eskimo) however I prefer to bike...so basically, I have to admit I wasn't as active as I would have liked to have been as I'm not much for gyms. Anyways, I am still very happy w/ my results. It's slowly getting warmer and I have biked a few times so I am getting back into my groove thankfully :) I also must add that I am very, very pale now as my tan from the summer is gone and perhaps that makes the ink remnants stand out more??? So needless to say, I am hoping that getting some sun in the next few months will help camo this residual ghost.

Again, I may be open to 1 more treatment, but i don't think I could handle more than that, as this journey is wearing me thin. If I do go forward, I will have my doc put it on a high frequency and lower spot size or whatever to target the last bit of residual ink. I am still hopeful though- as I may still see fading throughout the next few months, but regardless, i am in no immediate rush for another session. Again I will stress, at least for me, my regime consists of waiting an letting my body kill off this ink. I honestly believe my body works just as hard as the laser- it's just that the laser is instant combustion in terms of the ink and the body is not...the body takes time to clean this mess up. I still see results/fading so I'm happy. Although the results are minimal, I will post pics of now and a side by side of last session's healing (#8) to now (#9). Good luck to everyone out there....

BTW....

...oh and btw, yes, for all of you out there....I am very much detail oriented and slightly OCD so when I seek out "complete removal", I mean complete removal, as I am not looking for a cover up. Sorry if you guys think I am "done" or whatever, but as compulsive as I am, I am not done until I see no traces- and I still see a few blips. So here goes nothing...I guess we'll see. If I end up w/ small ghost traces or bits of ink, I'll be down w/ that as a reminder of this journey (although I'd rather they all just go but it is what it is).....All I know is that I'm reaching my breaking point, ready to be done w/ this and so far, I'm pretty confident I will be content w/ the my results forever (1 more treatment or not) from here on out by the summer so I am stoked to acknowledge that.

It's been a long a$$ journey...no pun intended w/ that $$$ sign lol!!! For real though, be patient and please allow yrself time, love yr bodies and treat them well after this laser, ugh!!! ?

Get treatment by a Doctor instead of a med spa.

What a journey, I too am in the process of removing my wrist tattoo. What laser are you using? Your results are amazing! Your pictures are definitely giving me hope!
Thank you- I read yr story and saw yr blog- you seem to doing really well and I think you will see really good results w/ patience! I am using the MedliteC6 laser- it's a great laser in my opinion and taking time in b/w sessions really helped me see the best results. I hope you are doing well :)
GREAT REVIEW!!! It's so hard to find someone that keeps up with post op pictures. Most stop posting after a few treatments. If I can get mine to to look as good as yours I'll be happy.
Thanks :) it has been a very long journey and I needed to see if I was seeing continued progress. I'm glad it helped. You should post a review if you are getting treatment..it's helpful to see your progress- and if not, at least keep pics for yrself as fading occurs at a snail's pace.
Hi, great review! I was really keen to read it because I believe your tattoo is rather similar to mine. It looks like you've made great progress and i'm interested to see how it turns out for you! I definitely hope mine fades that much by treatment number 9, i'm nearly 3 weeks post treatment number 2 (by a doctor) and I feel like i'm not seeing much happen (I think they are being very conservative in their treatments), so reading this kind of raises my motivation and helps me realise it is a lengthy process but it can be done. Thank you!
Hey bluejayway- thanks! I feel like this blog not only helps me but others who are going through this (as minimal as my tatt is), so I'm glad it helped :) I saw yr review and you are def very early on. How long are you waiting b/w treatments? From my experience, I didn't see much fading early on persay- more like I saw a greater reaction to the ink in the early stages, and it would fade out over the next few weeks/months. It's really hard to tell unless you document w/ photos, which I see you are doing. Yr Doc may be being very conservative w/ treatments in order not to cause any scarring so that is wise of him, still you do want to see progress and a reaction to the laser. Do you see yr tatt "frost" after each treatment? This whole process is extremely long and you are very early in so you need to try and maintain as much patience as you can- that is the hardest part in my opinion.
Thanks for replying! Between my 1st and 2nd treatment, I waited 6 weeks although I did plan to wait longer but it was a combination of seeing no reaction and a special they had on during the month which prompted me to go again after just 6 weeks. I'm hoping to wait at least 2 months before my 3rd treatment, but that'll depend on how much fade I see I guess, if it continues to fade i'll be motivated to wait a little longer! I did see frosting during both treatments so that's a relief! On the bright side of all this, it definitely teaches a lesson in patience. Good things take time.
Yes, I waited 8wks b/w sessions 1-5, as that was recommended for me from the start at my 1st clinic. After the 5th session however, I noticed less fading and more scarring so I decided to wait longer and get second opinions/consults- and it wasn't until I did that that I found out how beneficial it was for me (waiting longer), which is why I now recommend it after the first few treatments. Just be wary of scarring- 6wks seems kind of close, but if yr Dr is not using that much power, you may be safe w/ that. It's good you saw frosting at least- that means it's working :)
Hey! I just read your update. I've been wanting to ask: if the laser hits the skin and there is only a tiny amount (or none at all) of ink left in the skin, will it bring a higher chance of scarring/pigment changes because there is little or no ink there to absorb the laser and the skin absorbs it all instead? I mean, what DOES happen toward the end of someone's laser tattoo removal journey, like where you're at right now? Also, I had my first treatment today. If you have time, I'd appreciate it if you gave my update a read :) Thanks!
Hey- well supposedly the laser only targets the ink (contrast) so if the laser does hit skin that has no ink, it shouldn't react at all. I personally think the trauma to the skin comes from the laser settings changing (being stronger) to target the deeper ink, which is the ink that remains nearing the final treatments...so having to pass through the clean layers of skin to get to that bottom dwelling ink is not only difficult for the laser, but more powerful and therefore more traumatic in a sense. It's not so much that my last few treatments were really bad (I've had worse when I had more ink), I think it's more that it becomes more difficult for the laser to get down to last bit of ink as it has to fight b/w any scarring (if there is any), the depth of the ink itself, and the fact that there is less to pick up on. Again, i am no expert in this, I can only gauge from my experience and my sense of physics. Congrats on yr 1st treatment down!!! I will def take a look at yr review :)
My technician pointed the laser at my un-inked skin, nothing happened. I didn't feel anything, it didn't zap. The laser targets the ink only. As for towards the end of your ink removal journey, my technician said the intensity will be upped so that it pin points the ink farther down in your skin. Each time you go the technician points the ink at the next layer of ink. And then blasts away. Good luck...soon you'll be nude...but not yet...:)...aloha...k
Hey man! I had a look at your review, and I am so jealous of you success. But 9 treatments in 2 years? Why did you choose to wait so long between treatments? I honestly couldn't be that patient. Your dedication is truly inspiring.
Hey thanks- yes I feel like I have come a long way, a lot further than I even imagined I would honestly! Like I said in my blog, I was originally quoted at about 5-6 treatments max (a year) spacing them every 2mo apart and I paid upfront for 5 so I was kinda stuck w/ that place in which case looking back, I regret being trapped w/ them b/c I didn't feel as though they had the best treatment for what I was paying. The techs there were all over the place and would vary treatments/techs and forget previous laser settings and I started to notice scarring/redness nearing my 5th/6th treatment. I honestly only chose to go there b/c of their laser but once I found a Dr who also treated w/ the Medlite C6, he told me that spacing treatments every 4+ months was actually beneficial. I also found that out from after my 5th treatment- when I was done w/ the package plan I had paid for and was apprehensive to move forward (or believe anything they had said previously) b/c I knew I needed at least 3 more...so I took time off to consult elsewhere and in that time, I noticed it continue to fade as well as the scarring/redness subside. I am a big advocate for waiting 3-5mo b/w treatments b/c you reduce scarring/redness, save money and continue to see results. I guess everyone is different but this is what worked for me. Also I found myself getting kinda ill (literally) from the laser trauma and I wanted to give my body a rest. Either way, I think I'm done but I still want to wait a few more months and see what more fading I get, esp w/ a suntan :)
I also think that going every 2 months brings more money to the clinics so they push for 2months as the "standard" to get that flow of $$$$$ :) imagine if people only went 2 or 3 times a year...those clinics would be pissed!!
Hey, what was so special about the Medlite C6, may I ask? I'm not really sure which laser I should go for; the clinic I'm having a consult and first treatment at has a Picosure and a standard YAG, but some doctors here say that Picosure is great for black inks, others here say they really aren't. I have no idea which to go for. How did you decide?
I just researched my skin type w/ the kirby-denai? scale and considering my ink (black) found that the Medlite was top notch for me. At the time (2 yrs ago) there was no Picosure in my area also so that was not an option. I recently found out a few months back that the Pico is now available here, but I have heard mixed reviews. Supposedly it can cause permanent hypopigmentation (loss of pigment) and it's pretty new so I was skeptical to try it until it's been around for at least a few years or more. The Medlite has been around for decades so I opted for it- so far I'm glad I chose it. It does cause more damage, per say, but I just waited longer b/w treatments...I attribute the power of the Medlite to my great results- you just have to know when yr body needs some down time and I'm fine w/ that. Also after going to a doctor VS the med techs, I noticed much better results (fading and healing). What model/make of YAG do they have, do you know?
OneTime2many, you bring up valid points about buying a package deal/pre-payment. I did the same thing because they gave me such a great deal. Looking back I think I would have bought fewer sessions, or no package at all.
I honestly don't know what these different kinds of lasers are, to be honest. Is Medlite a brand name? Or a type of wavelength? I just don't know. Also, I have absolutely no clue what kind of lasers my clinic is going to be using. I will call them tomorrow and ask them, then make a post. I too have heard mixed reviews of the Picosure, which is really frustrating. If you go to that forum dedicated to Picosure (the one you sent the link to for me earlier), ALL the doctors will say that the Picosure is the best for everything. Period (even for reds, eventually). But then two doctors here have told me that the Pico isn't the best for my black tattoo because of the wavelength or whatever. However, as for the hypopigmentation, I have heard that the Picosure is much less likely to cause hypopigmentation because the bursts of laser are much shorter. I guess it goes without saying that to think a site like this will have sharing of information that is 100% accurate is, unfortunately, just too good to be true.
Yes Eva- It seemed like the right thing to do at the time, as it was at a discounted cost, but still then you are stuck w/o even knowing how well the technician/laser will perform. It was definitely a gamble and looking back, I wish I would have found my Dr from the get go, which is why I highly recommend him to ppl in my area. Oh well, I guess all we can do now is share our experiences to help the next guy...
The Medlite is the model name of the laser (a Q-switched type) and the make is Hoya Con Bio that was recently purchased by Cynosure. I know it sounds confusing but it's like cars- they each have a make and model. All lasers emit different wavelengths for their intended purpose. The Medlite emits 1064 and 532 (I think) and supposedly black ink is targeted best w/ the 1064 wavelength. So needless to say, there are many many variables to consider- I guess this why I am such a proponent of making sure your tech/Dr is qualified b/c any improper setting of the laser can cause serious burns and/or scarring. The Pico is supposedly really great on blues/purples/greens b/c its wavelength is set to target such colors, but not so great on reds. In terms of black ink, I just don't see diff (or better) results from the Pico. Then there's the fact that the Pico markets itself to have shorter pulses (picosecond VS nanosecond) which supposedly is less traumatic on the skin....??? I mean, maybe true, but I just haven't personally deemed it more effective than the 1064 Q-switched. I hear ya though- there's just too many variables to know for sure, as our bodies, skin reaction, tatt placement and lymph/immune responses also play an important role outside of all the laser stuff. I did consider the Pico myself at like my 8th treatment but just figured since I made it so far, I would stick w/ The Medlite and get treatment from a DR, and I'm glad I did. He's great and I'm happy w/ his treatments. The thing is, I think all lasers are great if used for their intended purpose, but a lot of it rests in yr tec'sh/Dr's knowledge and how well they calibrate/set their laser for each client's needs. You should ask yr clinic the model name/manufacturer of their YAG laser...
And a lot of this is new for us all in way, so we are just kinda going w/ the flow so to speak...we can try our best to line up this perfect plan and route like we would on a map, but b/c of all of the variables involved here, I think we all get sidetracked and have to take detours along the way as things arise. The Pico is NOT good on reds and a lot of Drs recommend it b/c it is "newer" and "more advanced" as they say...hey it may be great, as I have nvr tried it but a big thing to keep in mind is laser removal is a business and a business's goal is money$$
One last thing- sorry to rant- but tattoo inks are not regulated by the FDA. B/c of this, as inks are broken down/targeted, results may vary b/c the chemical makeup of each ink is unknown, and therefore, so are the results. I hope that the FDA steps in to regulate these inks sooner than later so that future laser removal will have more consistent results. It's kind of sad really- but when we are out treating an unknown and varied source (inks), how can anyone expect consistent results. Part of me thinks they have not stepped in yet to regulate b/c of the money generated in removal, but imagine if there was an ink that was permanent when placed but could be broken down in, oh say, 2-3 treatments flawlessly. I see this as a future invention for the next chemical engineer....unfortunately I work in mechanical :) but hey, there's a market for that guy/gal who comes up w/ the formula....
I'm pretty sure you can get Picosure lasers to go at the 1064 mm wavelength ... check out that article whose name I posted on my review; it compares picosecond and nanosecond lasers. I'm gonna call the clinic today (it is morning for us here in Aus) and ask them about their lasers. And yeah you're right about the money. You're also right about regulation, I know that result will vary but I'm hoping that my youth and my (relative) fitness will get me through any difficulties that may arise. I'll make a post tonight when I get back home about the lasers in my clinic.
I think you're very wise to wait longer between sessions. I am doing that also, I'm going every 5 months. And the fading continues. Good luck, you're doing awesome! aloha...k
Can I just jump in here real quick and point out a severely overlooked fact here? Waiting longer DOES NOT equal better and more significant fading. By the very mechanism of laser tattoo removal (as you all probably know), the laser breaks down the ink into particles which the body gradually removes. Sure, waiting longer will mean you can SEE better fading, but it won't further break down the pigment; the breaking down has already been done and the body will remove the particles as it sees fit, regardless of how long you space out treatments. What will increase fading is the AMOUNT of treatments you have, not the time between them. Take this example: two identical tattoos (for the sake of argument) are treated twice with different intervals. The first one is treated once then has a follow up after 4 weeks. The second one is treated once then has a follow up after 4 months. They are both assessed for fading after 8 months. The fading will be exactly the same, I guarantee you.