Replace Old Veneers with New, Not As Happy with the Result As I Had Hoped - Trenton, NJ

My original veneers were put on in 1989. I had...

My original veneers were put on in 1989. I had them on the front 6 teeth. They held up pretty well, but my gums were receding a bit and my front one was crooked (never noticed until recently). My family dentist said he could do them at a fraction of the price of a cosmetic dentist so I agreed. He took impressions before and then grounded (grinded?) off the old ones and took impressions again. It took about 3 or so weeks for the new ones to come in. In the meantime, my gums where the temps were got inflamed and bled a lot.

Fast forward to installation day, he pulled off the temps and sanded to make sure all the cement and stuff was removed. He started put them on from right to left. I am not a dentist, but I would assume you would start in the front and work back. He did the right 3 and got to the front left and it didn't sit right, so he went to the 5th and 6th. He then went back to the front left and said it still did not sit right so he was going to send for another. He took another impression, put on another temp, and I was on my way.

He got the replacement in a week and put it on. I am very far-sighted, so when I looked in the mirror at his office, it looked fine. When I got home, I noticed that the right 3 are set farther back than the left 3, with the newest front one sticking out farther and longer than those on the right. I also see that the newest one is not covering the tooth as properly as it should, with a dark edge closer to the next one back. Also, a lot me air goes thru the left teeth, almost to where I feel like I have a lisp.

I understand he is not a cosmetic dentist, but I am not happy. In fact, I am very self conscious of this. I just wanted straight, whiter teeth that didn't show a receding gum line. I didn't ask for the tooth shapes to be different.

I have an appt Wednesday for a cleaning and time to discuss going back one more tooth on each side to make the smile better. But I think this front one, and possible the left 3 may all need to be redone because they are not aligned with the 3 right. Is this something I should not be expected to pay for? Because if I have to pay for his mistake, I will be pissed!

Does anyone have experience with what a dentist is ethically responsible for? I understand if I didn't like the color, that would be my fault.....but if he put them on incorrectly, is he obligated to fix? At this point, the last thing I want to do is compound the issue by getting - more on each side. I think the problem was that he had nothing to align teeth 5 and 6 since he skipped the front one, and had he done the 2 front ones first, and worked back, everything would be lined up.
I'm sorry you aren't happy with the results :(.  The only veneer I notice at all is the upper left central incisor--it just looks a little bigger than the others.  I'm happy to see that Dr. Broome answered you already.  You may also consider asking a shorter version of this question (with the same pictures) to the rest of our dental panel in the doctors' Q&A section.  You can use this link if you'd like to do that.  I hope you get the info you need!
Thanks for responding! I did post the question in the Q&A section. The receptionist from the dentist office called yesterday and said he is aware we need to discuss the one tooth. I will deal with the additions later. I just hate that tooth! I had them replaced because the right one was crooked......and now with the new ones, the left one is! Will keep you posted!
Thank you :).  And I'm glad that you asked in Q&A--it should be posted soon!  Please let us know when you get answers since, unfortunately, there is no way for us to follow you, just your review, so we won't know if the question gets answered.  But you will :D.

Return visit

I saw the dentist and he agreed that the tooth looked a little thick and stuck out. So we are redoing that one, but not until he returns from vacation on 7/28.

Here are some "before" photos...

I never realized how many pics there are of me with a closed mouth smile! This is the best I can do with before pics. My left tooth did not stick out. In fact, my right veneer was quite crooked. So I don't think the issue is with my tooth, I think that the veneer is to thick. But you tell me. I also included a shot with my temps.
Thanks for the before pictures!  Yeah, it looks like it's your right veneer in the last pic, not the left.  Glad he agreed with you on the left tooth.  Hopefully he'll be able to make it right, especially if it's just because it's a little too thick. :)  It's a bother to wait, but this part of the summer is always rough for that.  We've got a bunch of stuff on hold too because of vacation season.  Wish we could afford to go on vacation ;). LOL!

Nothing new to report this week

I am seeing the dentist on 7/28 for him to grind down the left front, and also do crowns for the 2 molars next to th canines. Looking forward to this being done already!
Thank you for the compliment about my eyes! And the veneer feedback too. It is frustrating that the dentist didn't notice this himself when he was putting it on. I think once he fixes the one that sticks out, the others will look better. I will post a full face, less toothy smile picture the next time I am having a good hair day. : )
I am not a professional but I'm a bit obsessed with teeth having gone through my own share of issues. I agree that your veneers either don't seem to fit properly, with too little space to lay the front right veneer flat, or alternatively it is too thick. This set of veneers in general seems a bit bulkier and thicker than your temps or your prior set. However, your temp picture is a full face shot and it's a bit hard to compare because I end up focusing on your eyes (super pretty!) whereas I can only look at the tooth issue in the current veneer photo. Ultimately, your dentist should be willing to work with you on this. It might take a little time and energy (ugh!) but you are right to expect that this be done correctly at no additional cost to you. Best of luck and remember that we all notice the "flaws" far more than anyone else does.
Did you get veneers as well?

Waiting for replacement

I saw the dentist Monday. He took an impression to send to the lab as an example if what NOT to do this time, grinded down the large, left tooth, and took another impression, and put a temp on. Hopefully the replacement will be in Tuesday and I will be done with this madness! Will update again next Wednesday! Third time's the charm, right?
Yes!  Third time's the charm.  It's going to work for you this time!  I can't wait to see the new one!

Replacement-Better but not great

I got the replacement veneer earlier this week. It is definitely better but not perfect. In hindsight, I probably should have been more detailed about my expectations. Yes, they are whiter, yes there is no visible receding gum line, but something about them just isn't right. Maybe they are too big or maybe I need to go back one more tooth on each side. I am going to give my mouth a break for a few weeks. I told the dentist I would be back for the next tooth back process after my vacation. Next time, I am heading to a cosmetic dentist, that's for sure!
This scares me a little...or maybe a lot!! I saw a cosmetic dentist a few months ago regarding veneers and crowns. I have had a crown crack and break in the last year, and now another porcelain grown is mysteriously cracked and my dentist wants to replace it. I had been thinking about having veneers on my surrounding teeth, as my natural teeth are darkening and there is no stopping the aging process, teeth that once matched the crowns no longer do. My dentist said he could do the veneers...he has been through a training class, but really, I want someone who does this specifically, and repeatedly. I saw a cosmetic dentist who did a total mock up of my current teeth, and the new teeth, so I could compare. He will completely change my look, as I have always felt a little "toothy" in the front. I love the new look, and would still be concerned about outcome if I hadn't seen it. Although I know it is costly, I would invest in an appointment with a cosmetic guy and get his/her opinion. And, eight veneers definitely will be an improvement over the current six. Your dentist should have advised you of that at the outset.
I have been living with my new veneers for the past month and trying to make friends with them. I have an appt tomorrow to get crowns on the bicuspids. The dentist thought that doing veneers on them would be too risky, as they are the teeth that take the brunt of biting. I was going to have it done right after I had the veneers done, but I needed to give my mouth a break from all the shots, grinding, knocking......so we will see what tomorrow brings. But yes, by all means, I am headed to a cosmetic dentist when I do this again. I will post the "final" pics when all is done.
Most of the cosmetic dds in So Cal prescribes to having eight veneer's for a complete smile. I have several friends who had their veneers done before this protocol was established, and, to me their smiles appear not quite right, the smile ends too abruptly. Since you haven't finished your work, why not consult a cosmetic professional prior to completion? Then you may not HAVE to go through this again...