Incognito Lingual Braces - Torrance, CA

27th February 2013 Wanted to write a review...

27th February 2013

Wanted to write a review on my experience so far as reading reviews helped me to make my decision to go for linguals.
I had both top and bottom fitted 4th February 2013, it was pretty straightforward, the rest of the day was fine, eating was strange. Day 2 my tongue was sore and I had a terrible lisp (I feel this is because your subconsciously avoiding the brackets with your tongue while talking), I had to return to the ortho office as a wire was bugging me and irritated my touge, she fixed it and right away felt do much better.
The tounge soreness lasted around 3/4 days, my lithp was noticeable for around a week, weeks 2,3 & 4 I really haven't noticed it unless I say the word 'lisp' lol
My teeth were achey on day 2, much to my delight my front two teeth had already straightened out a little, by day 4 I'd already been told my teeth looked straighter and now at almost 5 weeks I feel like my teeth have shifted and my smile appears wider ( I have a narrow arch).
My teeth have actually been a little achey the past 2 days but I know it's because they are shifting.
Overall 4.5 weeks in I'm really happy with my experience so far.
Cons: they are more expensive than regular braces but for me it is worth every penny, but talk to your ortho office about a payment plan.
It's difficult to floss, haven't been very successful at it but invest in a good electric toothbrush and carry around toothpaste, toothbrush and mouthwash everywhere.
Can't think of anything else to write but would be glad to answer any questions if you leave your email addy in a comment.
But seriously if your considering it DO IT, seriously, I wish I'd done it sooner and I'm 30 years old!
Ps, I had my wisdom teeth extracted for this, my ortho recommended I also extract my per-molars to which I refused, I researched it quite extensively and decided to go ahead with treatment WITH my pre molars.

I have had the lingual braces for 1 month and the first week I used a lot of wax until my tongue got used to the braces. Since then the only bad thing about them is that food is constantly getting stuck in them when I eat so I leave the table to brush my teeth right after I am done because I can't stand the feeling in my mouth with loose pieces stuck in small spaces. Also, I definitely lisp. I lisp more so when I have to combine the "S" sound with a "T" sound, such as "Stay" "Boston" or "Trustees". The other annoying thing is that in order not to sound like an 8 year old with an obvious lisp, I tend to talk more quietly than I have in the past. People have trouble hearing me and if I speak up and annunciate, then I end up spitting on the person I am speaking with. With all that said, I have learned to manage these things and I am really glad I got the lingual braces. They really are completely incognito. No one ever sees them and I can kiss with them on too and they cannot be felt my me or my husband. Another surprise to me. Also, you can watch your smile progress much more easily than you can with traditional brackets which obstruct your view. I would recommend them to anyone who is self conscious about getting traditional braces and for whom Invisalign will not work (such as those with open bites or cross bites). Lingual braces work much faster than Invisalign which my friends tell me always takes much longer than they initially say it will. I ordered Invisalign and paid for the entire treatment and then abandoned the idea when the orthodontist went to put 12 cement bumpers on my teeth which he never discussed with me prior. I swiftly left that practice. 8 more months to go in Incognito. Maybe fewer months as we will be using Propel to speed up the process starting at my next treatment and Acceledent as well. Good luck to all! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I read and re read a lot of these comments before making my decisions.
Some people here on RealSelf have complained that because their teeth are different thicknesses (this is very normal), the teeth don't end up being straight on the fronts, but on the backs...so thicker teeth stick out.  Has this issue come up in conversation with your doctor at all?  Thank you :)
That's very interesting. I hadn't realized that is a potential problem and it does make sense to me. The subject did not come up with my orthodontist perhaps because it is not an issue for my teeth. He did a lot of 3-D modeling and studying the mockup a for about 1 month before agreeing to it with the people at incognito. So I know he gave it a lot of thought. Perhaps he took that into consideration and didn't need to mention it to me. I imagine he took that Into consideration and made the appropriate adaptations. I can't see why it would matter whether you have braces on the inside or outside, the thickness issue remains the same.
I agree it sounds like your doctor was super careful. The reason it matters with the braces on the inside or the outside is because normally they don't change the thickness of the teeth. So, for example, I have two central incisors (one on top, one on the bottom) that are significantly thicker than the others. No one can see that on the outside, because my teeth are all aligned on the outside, that people see. But the inside surface is not aligned. But I can totally imagine those sorts of considerations were why he took a whole month! I really hope you start your story here on RealSelf! For some reason, people stopped reviewing about lingual braces, but it's a fascinating treatment modality.
Also… did you mean for that last bit to be in your comment?  I can remove it for you. :)
Yes! Please remove it. Ha!! I must have hit "paste" accidentally and it was a text from yesterday. I actually wrote to real self asking them to remove my reply but they didn't write back. Please do remove it. Thanks for your reply as well. Good luck! I hope it goes well for you. :-)
Okay, done :).  I'm done with my treatment already and things went well.  Thank you! :D
How long did your treatment take? Do you wear a retainer? You should post pictures. I bet it looks great!!
I did Invisalign, but I definitely did a review :D.  I review everything.  I even reviewed my crown! LOL!  I most certainly do wear a retainer, and will for the rest of my life.  I have gone back and forth between the Invisalign brand (Vivera) retainers and a mix of Vivera and Hawley (wire).  The Hawley I was wearing on top, but I went back to Vivera because the Hawley allowed my teeth to squish together in the front and I hated that :).
For me, the experience is very similar. I am only on second day of treatment and had only the bottom part of these braces. I had to extract left down premolar, but it is was easily comprehensible why... I had been extracted three other premolars extracted as a child and so my bite wouldnot be possible correct properly if there is no extraction. if not there was the same pain as I have had with normal, not fixe braces which I had as a child and for several last months..Lisp, a little bite when I spoke fast but for a long time and not pay attention about the pronanciation. If this could be stay the same with the upper part of braces I am completely satisfated and woul reccomend to everybody. I am so glad nobody can noticed about my braces that this "small" inconveninece about tongue sore and not to be able swallow hard foods really I dont mind. Mb it will become worse but for the moment I love Incognito braces.
where did you get them done? i am in my 20's and one of my two front teeth up top is a little crooked & i am considering getting lingual braces just on top. i am just curious where in the LA area to go & about how much it might be to just get the top done. also, do you have to wear a retainer after? thanks so much in advance!

Hi, I'm 39 and have had 4 teeth extracted and all the brackets in place for lingual braces. The orthodontist still needs to wire them. I'm in a lot of pain with the extractions and popping painkillers. Hoping the lisp goes away soon and the process is over. But miles to go, i guess ....

How expensive were they?

So what made you decide to get the Lingual Brances over invisilign? Im debating between those two

I had Invisalign and it didn't really work for me. I did an express treatment (6 months). Five years later, my teeth still shifted back within an hour after taking of my Vivera retainer every damn time. The dentist I saw didn't file the sides of my teeth down properly, so my teeth overlapped and always shifted back immediately after removing the retainer. I had to wear it 24/7, as if I still had Invisalign. I gave up on the constant pain of shifting about 6 months ago. I'm going for an Incognito consultation in two weeks. I know it will be painful, but the point of teeth straightening is permanence. Invisalign didn't do that for me. Side note: they don't tell you that when you get Invisalign trays, they put tooth-colored "dots" on your teeth in certain spots to keep the trays in place (until you get to Vivera, the retainers). It was very limiting for me and made me self-conscious. I'd rather have a lisp for a while and be able to smile with confidence.

I'm so glad you started your review early on in treatment! It will be great to hear how things go at different stages for you. How exciting to already start to see some changes!

So it sounds like the brackets aren't causing too much of an issue discomfort wise, other than what would probably happen with traditional braces. Are there any parts of them that feel pokey or sharp, or is it pretty smooth, and just bumpy?