30 Year Old, Newly Single, Restoring Tummy After Baby - Toronto, ON

I am terrified. I've booked my surgery for March...

I am terrified. I've booked my surgery for March 27th and am very nervous about recovery - especially since I am a single mother and will not be able to play, lift up and care for my son. I'm trying to hire a temporary nanny to live with us for 4 weeks but it is sooo hard to find help. My son is 20 months and very independent but he still likes to be carried, "Up, Mommy" i hear constantly. I'm curious to know how other single mothers have done this.
I have never been tiny, but when I got pregnant with my son, I went from 190lbs to 265lbs at his birth. A month after having him, I was 230lbs and a year and half later, I'm 173lbs. It has taken a lot of work to get here. Being 5'8, I'm happy with the 170-ish pounds mark but my tummy is just devastating. I'm embarrassed by it. I've started dating again and have been seeing a guy regularly. I'm always so self conscious when we get naked together. I haven't told him yet about my scheduled surgery - I guess I'm nervous about what he is going to think. I do believe though that if he doesn't support me or thinks that I'm selfish or silly for doing it, then he is not the right person for me. I kinda feel like now I should have waited to start dating until well after the surgery. How weird is it going to be for him to see me through this recovery?
I'll add some photos soon.
I'm having a drainless tummy tuck with the best surgeon in Toronto.

Ahh exactly 3 weeks to go

Not sure if I'm ready to do this. Here's some photos. I never asked the doctor, do you think I have diastasis recti? My stomach significantly protrudes out.

Pre op tests done

Got blood work done today and visited my gp for a history and physical. She was great and didn't even comment against my choice to have the TT. I don't know why I think people will act so negatively about it. I've only told two people and one of them was pretty against it. They have a perfect tummy, have never had a child so I don't think she understands. The other was supportive. I still don't have anyone to take me to the surgery and stay overnight with me for first day, ahhhhh I gotta get this figured out. Surgery is a Thursday so I feel badly asking a friend to take Friday off of work. I have a friend that's a realtor so she could probably do it but we are new friends, not super close. Family all lives far away (and I'm not telling them).

What is the 45 degree angle?

I'd love to see an example of the 45 degree sitting/sleeping I'm supposed to be doing in recovery, does anyone have a pic? I think the best my recliner does is 90 degrees???

Things are coming together - just over a week to go! ahhhhh!

Everything is lining up:
- nanny secured for 4 weeks
- sister is flying down from Regina to take me to the surgery and spend the first 4 days with me, then I will be completely on my own ahhh!
- had the pre-op appointment, met Grace, the nurse and really liked her. everything was normal with my pre-op tests so I am pretty much ready to go.
- all paid up!

How I'm feeling:
- very scared, not really about the surgery, I know I'll be asleep and not remember/know a thing, I'm nervous about the recovery and how difficult it will be. I'm a wimp and I don't like not feeling well. Who does, but I have a bad back as it is and just that extra pain will be really uncomfortable I'm sure
- should i really be doing this - scared of the big ol' scar and the swelling for months
- i've started to be really lazy in the last week with my exercise and eating habits.. Im not sure why - I hope I don't think "they're going to cut it off anyways" I should be eating clean and preparing my body for the surgery but instead my nerves are taking me to mcdonalds and the corner store for Cadbury creme eggs... terrible. Im trying to tell myself as of this Thursday (exactly one week from surgery) Im back to eating 100% clean with no sodium.
- I have a dang cold.. ugh, cough, chest cold so im loading up on echinacea and vitamin C.. gotta get rid of this before surgery.. heard a cough is deathly painful (maybe i shouldn't use the word deathly on here?)

Flat side!!!

I made it! Surgery was yesterday. Here are some notes on how I was feeling:

BEFORE
- not too bad, they gave me a sedative I think so I was chill
- had to wait 3hours for surgery
- surgeon hymned and hawd about doing surgery because of my cough and risk of me tearing the muscle repair work
- went in and was knocked out within minutes. Anaesthesia guy and nurses were AMAZING and made me feel so comfortable

AFTER
- woke up and felt so drowsy and incision sight was burning, tummy is all in a tight binder but I could still feel burning, was given meds and went back to sleep
- only an hour later, I woke up to them putting me in a wheel chair, sister was there to greet me and take me to the hotel room (my surgeon is out of the Royal York hotel in Toronto so every patient gets a one night stay to recover!)
- felt a little dizzy but not too bad. Got out of the wheel chair with minimal help
- propped up in comfy bed, had girly chats with my sis, watched tv, web surfed and kept taking those oxy meds, woohoo. Hardest thing was focusing on not coughing. I did it once and will never do it again... I don't want to wreck his work
- had few sips of soup, banana, apple, lots of water.
- got up to pee a few times, was ok
-took sleeping pill and slept well. Sister got me up ever 4 hours for oxy

DAY ONE (I think when do u start counting?)
- woke up hungry but only munching on things
- feel good but back/neck/butt sore from this prolonged position. Gonna get sis to massage me later.
- tummy is more sore today, that feeling of a million crunches plus some burning. Could be lipo sites?
- still controlling my cough
- beginning to get gas pains, lots of bubbling happening in the tummy, what do you do to get rid?
- sis says I look tiny but this corset sucks everything in, can't wait to see
- nurse is expected to visit thiS morning,I wonder of she will show me?
- I feel like swelling has stated and I'm a bit itchy under binder thing

I'm very thankful for all my real self friends, already had tons of messages checking in. You guys are awesome and makes this process easier with the support. Let's all keep in tough! Xo

Day two I guess?

wow, druggsy drugs… how i love thee. today has kind of been a blur. drifting in and out of consciousness. I am not sure if i need to be taking these pain meds to the max like I am but I'm terrified not to. Im going to try to switch to tylenol in the morning.. yes, that is the plan.
i coughed a few times today which was excruciating, I am so scared i've ripped his great work. I am supposed to be taking the binder off 1-2 times per day as a rest, but because i have a chance of coughing, nurse told me to be very careful and only do it once per day when i am sure i won't cough. plan was to have a shower.. fail. i just couldn't do it, not enough energy and was worried about coughing. my sister just removed binder and gagged while she cleaned out my belly button area and re-packed it. it is just a big black hole right now… not sure what it will look like. i have yet to stand with binder off, will do that tomorrow and take a pic.
food intake has been good, water intake good, i'm doing well at getting up to pee by myself. sister leaves in the morning to go back home. so my first day on my own is tomorrow…scared!!!
hope all my RS friends are doing well! xo

Day Six, take it easy!!

Had my first post op yesterday. Surgeon says everything is on track, but kinda made me feel like I'm doing too much all ready. I drove myself to the appointment (Toronto 1hr away) and have been walking lots. Then he tested me asking me to stand up, showed me that I'm using my abs too much and at risk of damaging the muscle repair. I admit I've been feeling pretty good so I reach for things, pick things up off the floor, get up and walk lots. I've only been taking a couple doses of Tylenol per day since day three and can walk almost straight. I was proud of that till he told me to walk hunched no matter what for two weeks at least, wear my binder tighter and just rest. So I'm now doing nothing, just sitting and being bored all day. I certainly don't want to go through this again so I'm going to listen. I feel a little stuffed up today, hope I'm not getting a cold again as coughing and sneezing are very painful. Has anyone ever ruptured their muscle repair or incision from coughing/sneezing? Recliner sleeping isn't too bad, how long did y'all stay in it? I'm adding pics from day two and day four. Day 4 I was (and still is) very swollen but I already like the results. I don't think he could have put scar any lower, love it, nice thin line. The belly button is just a big dark black hole, I can't even incision what it will look like. I'm not allowed to shower till tomorrow, can't wait!!!

Day Eight… getting easier!

So today was day 8 - one full week post surgery and wow, what a difference one week makes. If you asked me the day of surgery how I would be feeling on day eight, I would have never projected that I would be this far along already. Here's how I'm feeling:

- finally had my first shower on day seven.. that felt amazing, the hot water on my aching back was the best and getting to wash my hair and try to scrub the markings off me
- i can get up easily from pretty much any chair on my own
- still sleeping in the recliner at a 45 degree angle which i think helps
- i have not done ANYTHING since tuesday. Tuesday was my follow up when I over did it so Wed thru Friday, I've sat in this chair, watched movies, read books and magazines and just relaxed and I think it has done me a world of good
- belly button is healing well, putting polysporin and taping it up each day
- binder is not too uncomfortable, i wear it 24/7 as tight as I can
- I'm standing more straight today, and the back is thanking me for that. still hunched a bit at the shoulders
- tmi but got a yeast infection i think from the week of antibiotics.. yuck and irritating
- holding my nose so i don't sneeze, this works 90% of the time, its a great tip!
- mild cold coming back on, ugh, so have been coughing a bit, taking some cold n sinus and lots of fluids to help get rid of it
- nutrition has been bang on. very clean, high protein small meals and lots of water. I'm down to 164 from 173 on surgery day! (thats in the morning before i'm swollen)
- swelling is not too bad. I know i have not hit swell hell yet, so i expect this anytime soon
- emotional ups and downs all week, but never a thought of regret. I look in the mirror and love what i see, it is just a long recovery and i have to keep reminding myself of that
- my 21 month old son has adjusted well to the nanny, he listens to her and she lifts him up and puts him in the recliner beside me for cuddles and story time and its the highlight of my day

just the weekend left and I go back to work on monday ahhhh! I'm sure i'll be fine, it will just be an exhausting day. I haven't even done my hair, put on make up or put on good clothes this whole week, getting ready for work alone is going to poop me out for the whole day, i just know it!
wishing everyone else a smooth recovery as well. knock on wood this keeps up!

Day Eleven… officially back to work today!

So, I went back to work today. I honestly feel pretty good and normal. I put my binder on really tight though and could feel the swelling by the end of the day. I tried to stay at my desk as much as possible and was careful moving around. I walk 95% straight, my shoulders are a bit hunched and back still a bit sore. My tummy feels very tight, numb and hard to touch. The more I walk around, the more rock hard the belly seems to get. My binder seems to be digging into me. It has horizontal seams that you can now see on my stomach and hips - am I wearing this too tight or would it always do this? It is a Marena that the PS provided. Im hoping it doesn't leave permanent shape because it really digs in near my smallest part of the waist and so makes my hips an odd shape and big. I have my next followup in a week from tomorrow and would like to see if they will allow me to wear spanks or other tight shape wear. Hope everyone else is doing well and healing. Im very excited to see this final outcome, go shopping for some new figure fitting clothes, throw on that bikini this summer and feel amazingly confident and sexy!

Two weeks post!

Today marks my two weeks anniversary post surgery! I've been back to work since Monday (desk job) feeling pretty good. I still get very swollen at night. I think I've reached the "I feel fat" stage as at night I'm so swollen my pants feel like they did before surgery. I did go home yesterday after work and tried on a bunch of my dresses and old clothes that haven't fit for years and they looked awesome even with the swelling!! That made me happy. Just gotta wait it out! 4 weeks to go and I can exercise again, can't wait! Here's pics from this morning. My hips are swollen or those are my natural love handles, not sure but they are ok, much better than before! I slept in my bed last night with pillows under legs. I didn't have the best sleep, was kinda uncomfortable, not painful just felt funny.

Hi, just checking in on you to see how you are doing. I also had my tt done with Dr. J just 2 weeks ago. Your belly button looks just like mine. How is the swelling now?? Is the belly button better? Mine looks red and kinda odd shaped. Hope everything is going good. :)
Hi nervouslynelly, I am so happy to hear everything went great with your surgery and your recovery is going great! You look fantastic.
what type of CG did the dr. provide? is it full body or just a wrap around the belly? just curious what to expect.
Thank you so much for posting this- your progress helped me settle on Dr.J and I'm 50 days away from (hopefully) looking as good as you!
You look fabulous! I'm scheduled for June 6 with Dr. Jugenburg and can't wait. just from the before and after pics his work is amazing. did you have any lipo of the flanks?? they have mentioned it to me but I'm not sure if I should do it or not. Can't wait to hear of your progression.
Hi Trish. thank you for the compliments. I can't wait until it is 100% healed - belly feels very foreign right now, my lower body from belly button to lady parts is completely hard and swollen still, so when i wear tight stuff (which i can't anyways due to the binder.. it shows thru) you still see a bump and not 100% flat. I understand this is just part of healing though. Yes, i did get lipo of flanks.. its weird cause i didn't really ask for it but he did it anyways - i know i didn't pay any extra for it but my love handles have decreased and there is bruising back there so I'm sure it was done. He is very meticulous and I believe he wants you to look your best so thats prob why he made the decision to lipo me! Everything has been healing REALLY well so far, I'm very happy with this recovery. I've been one of the lucky ones I think - I've read many reviews with ladies having a hard time, but this was a cinch, just LISTEN to what he and the nurses say and you should be good. I can't wait till my 6 weeks are up, I want to be active!!!!! I want to run and do everything I used to do.. 2 weeks and 2 days to go and I'm at my 6 weeks. Take care!
Thank you so much for reaching out to me I only have two more sleeps until my surgery. I am extremely excited and even though I have been doing a lot of research I still do not know what to expect pain wise. How was your experience at the hotel? You mentioned that you sister stayed with you, did any of you pay for parking and if so where and how much? Thank you again your pics are a true visual that I have decided to go with the correct surgeon
You look great, was your ps Dr. M. J?
aw thank you. Haha.. at first I thought you were kidding about MJ (as in Michael Jackson..uh, I'm lame) but now I get it. Yes, Dr. Jugenburg. I'm going to write a review of my experience but waiting till I'm fully recovered so I can provide the full perspective. So far, everything has been great and I wholeheartedly recommend him and his staff. My scar is extremely low, like he couldn't have put it lower, I love it and belly button is nice, it is hard to tell my shape yet because of the swelling, but I am loving it already.
Beautiful results! So lean. I'm taking the first week off, then working from home for a week before I go back to my desk job. Seeing you go back after just a few short days gives me some confidence that I can do it. :)
thanks kindly for your compliments, it feels so nice to get them on here since no one has said anything at work yet! Mind you, I'm wearing baggy stuff since my binder is noticeable and I'm still swelling. Everyones recovery sure is different but I was very lucky to snap back so quickly, I hope the same for you. I really listened to my PS and his instructions, staid on my butt the ENTIRE first 10 days. I didn't do a thing, maybe that helped. I'm now 5 days into work and feel fine, just super swollen by end of day, fell like a stuffed sausage.
Happy Four-week-aversary! What a great feeling to be able to wear your older dresses and clothes :) You look great!
I'm just two weeks! but thanks!!!
Haha! I have issues with words and numbers ;-) And, you are welcome!
You look Awsome!!!
thanks kindly!!!
Sounds like you are doing well. Make sure not to over do it though. My binder was too tight as well. Now it is on as tight as it can go and it is feeling like it is not tight at all. Trying to find another is harder than I thought. Yesterday was a horrible day for swelling. My hubby left for work today so now it is time to really pace myself. Only thing I am doing today is going to my daughters music festival. I hope work is going good for you today. Take care!!!!
ya, I'm looking for something else to wear. called PS yesterday and they said i could switch.. didn't really recommend another but said to have "equal compression" I've been googling. i won't really want a full piece thing that i have to pee through. that just seems annoying. i'd like a girdle top, but not sure there is any that comes down long enough. let me know what you find and are using.
Congratulations! Sounds like everything is going well. I didn't put on real clothes for 2+ weeks, so rock on jumpin back in so soon! Try to take it as easy as you can, wishing you the best!! Good luck with work today. : )
thanks!! I'm at work right now and its going great! I have my usual clothes on and the shirt is so baggy, even with my swelling and binder on.. love it! just waiting for someone to say, wow, you've lost weight or something. I hope this recovery keeps going as smoothly as it is. I still just can't wait for 6 weeks out so I can work out and not wear the binder 24/7! Also.. I'm single and I want to date!!!
Sounds like you are doing well. I wish I had a recliner, that's the one thing I didn't think of getting. I have my comfy bed, a wedge. This back thing really blows! Hurts more theft the surgery. I got one drain out today WOW that was so weird. Not painful just weird. I have been an emotional mess today. Rest over the weekend, build up your strength for Monday!
Hi Nervous - just checking in to see how you are doing today?
How are you doing today?
hey Cinhorn, not too bad. had my first shower.. one whole week, yuck did I feel grimy. I put a folding chair in the shower and sat on that, it felt so good. i then dried my belly button and steri strips with a blow dryer for 20 mins, hopefully they are dry. I'm coming down with another cold, so i've been popping echinacea and vitamin c like crazy, drinking lots of water and of course just sitting in my recliner. i'm terrified of sneezing and coughing, it hurts so much, and i don't want to tear muscle work. i wonder how likely that is? back is pretty sore from walking so hunched. i could probably stand pretty straight but surgeon says to walk as hunched as possible for few weeks if possible. I'm back to work on monday and i haven't told anyone there so its going to look funny.. that and i won't be moving from my desk since my back hurts so much. will just say i hurt my back on "vacation". i'm dreaming of a real vacation though and so excited to try on new clothes. I've been thinking about what the first item I will buy will be.. thinking maybe a good pair of jeans. I'm splurging finally and will go to Lucky Brand or something and try on a bunch. I've always had a chubby belly so squeezing into jeans has been tough, now it shouldn't be! woohoo. What will be the first thing you will buy? How are you feeling today?
I cannot believe u r already going back to work. There is no way I could go back on Monday!My back is still sore. From walking like a hunch back as well... Hehe. Isn't the shower just the best thing?! I so wanted to stay in there forever... I get one of my drains out tomorrow. I coughed last night and holy &$@!, that sucked!!! My stomach has been sore that past couple of days. Had to go to hospital due to problem with BM, trust me u don't want to know! I thought I hurt my stomach but talked to Dr. and she said I would be fine, just to rest and not to worry so much. I am so happy that she calls me at home to see how things are. I see her next week. I am trying not to take my pain meds any longer, my hubby leaves on Tuesday to go back to work and I don't want to be taking them after he is gone, I get way to loopy. Wouldn't be able to function for my kids. I haven't really thought of what the first thing I would buy might be... I have never owned a dress, a nice spring/summer one might be kind of cool. I guess the world will be ours when it comes to shopping now hey.... I cannot believe how good I feel dispite the pain n discomfort . So glad I made this decision!! Take care!! Talk soon :)