If I Knew... - Toronto, ON

I am 39 with fair and oily skin. I got the...

I am 39 with fair and oily skin. I got the procedure 4 weeks ago and the only changes I can see, so far, are negative.

I went for enlarged pores, few sun spots, acne scars around the mouth, and fine lines around the eyes. As my skin is over-reactive (my whole body is in fact), I started with a session of intense pulsed light to see what would be the reaction. Everything went well and I decided to go for SmartX 3 months later.

The procedure was extremely painful (and I have had my share of physical pain in my life, trust me). I looked like a monster for 5 days, which was expected. I could not wear makeup after 10 days, because it was useless: my skin was too red and the dots still too visible.

Here I am, a month later, and I still see the dots everywhere, even though they are fading very slowly. My skin is very red on the region under my eyes, going towards the hairline, where we usually have freckles. The overall color of my skin has changed. Compared with the skin close to the hairline that was not treated, you can see it is much darker. My skin breaks out a lot, with 2 new pimples a day on average, oddly all on the left side of my face. As for the issues the treatment was supposed to fixed, so far I cannot see a difference. For two weeks the bags under my eyes went away (that was a good surprise), but otherwise, nothing.

At this point, I am just praying that my "old face" will come back. I want the red patches to go away and my fair colored skin. (Any comment from people with similar experience will be welcome!)

My subjective and personal conclusion, based on the technical information I gathered, opinions from online forums, and my experience is that you don't know what will be the result. If you have money to spend, do not have a sensitive skin/body/system, and are ready to take the risk that the results may be minimal, if not absent, go for it. I believe my case is rare and that problems like mine are rare. This said, they do happen and you have to be aware of it. Otherwise, get a couple of books by the Dalai Lama and learn to be compassionate with yourself and the way you look.

I have the weird impression I was either not well informed of the possible side effects, or someone could not use their toy properly.