Its a Gamble... - Toronto, ON

I am 42, 5'6, 133pds. Work out 3-4 times a...

I am 42, 5'6, 133pds. Work out 3-4 times a week and eat well (for the most part-who invented doughnuts?!). I had smart lipo done Jan. 6th, 2011 on my inner thighs, outer thighs, knees, stomach and arms. Although it seems a lot, it was a little bit in each area.

The doctor and staff were (and continue to be) very helpful and friendly. Its one week out and I dont see much difference. When I measured, Im about half an inch less then when I went in and in some area there is no change. My swelling (to me) seems to be almost gone though the pain is still there and seems to have gotten worse over the last 2 days. Burning and pulling in the legs. I also have those "bumps" on my stomach and am fretting that I have made a mistake and they wont go away. I was told to massage the area 10 times a day, for 4-5min. Thank goodness for this site as some have mentioned getting a handheld massager ultrasonic and infared (which I ordered today).

My pics from before and after dont show much change at all except for more cellulite. As you can see/read I have little to no patience. If not for this site, I think I may have been crying into my cups for the past week.

Thanks everyone! Ill keep you posted and show pics soon.

So it has been 3 weeks. All bruising is gone and...

So it has been 3 weeks. All bruising is gone and the pain is minimal (feel it most getting out of bed in the mornings). I went for a lymphatic massage and that was nice but not sure if it helped any.

The bumps on my stomach are going down a very little bit but more are emerging both on my stomach and on my legs. Also my left leg is way more defined then the right. It also shows from the behind. The left side is smooth and firm where the right side seems dimpily and fatty still.

The doctor said to give it more time. I have had proceedures done in the past and everytime they tell me to wait it never resolves and they have to do a touch up. However, the admin person indicated that the doctor is a perfectionist and anything that is still wrong in 3 months he will fix. Even if he could see it wasnt healing right or not enough was taken out, the doctor wouldn't fix anything until the 3 month mark.

Im off to Mexico next week (was going to go Lake Tahoe but my knees still hurt a bit to ski) to take my mind off things. I have also booked in for Velashape once a week at my local medical spa for the bumps.

As far as inches are concerned, I have not lost any more then I did the first day I measured after the SL. Still pretty much a half an inch to an inch all round (could have just dieted hard for week!)and have lost one pound.

So the jury is still out.

So its been a month now and Im still not sure the...

So its been a month now and Im still not sure the money is worth the result.

On the plus side, I fit into all my "small" jeans (you know the ones way up high in your closet that you only fit into when you had a bout of sickness or dieted hard for a month and lost 5 pds.)and all my fitted dresses. My shape has also changed for the better. My behind is rounder and more lifted and my arms and legs are slimmer.

One the down side, I went shopping yesterday and while trying on a dress with high heels, the sales lady asked if I had hurt my knees. Looking down I saw that my kness had numerous bumps the size of eggs on them. Needless to say I was so embrassed, I quickly changed and left the store. And yes, I had a little cry in the car on the way home.

I called the doctor (he must think Im the worst patient ever by now) and he said it was swelling and would go away. He mentioned again that anything "not right" at the 3-4 month mark he will fix and that the downtime, if any, would be only a week, as it was small pockets of fat that were not settling correctly.

So, I have changed the vacation back to Lake Tahoe as my "old lady bumpy knees" will not be seen in public for awhile.

I have gone for my 4 month check up and the bumps...

I have gone for my 4 month check up and the bumps have not gone away or diminshed in size. I am going for a touch up (Tuesday-April 26th)on my stomach, one leg, two knees and one arm. I am not looking forward to it at all. I dont want the pain and to do the recovery all over again but I dont have a choice. I cant live with bumps everywhere or never to wear a bikini again.

Going into this surgery, my weight will be 131 and I have lost 1-2 inches in most places. I will post before and after pics again.

Would I do this again???...... I still honestly dont know. I look great in clothes but terrible out of them. I think Ill start working on my vanity after this and trying to let go of this need to be....

Photo Update

So I have gone for my second SL to get rid of the...

So I have gone for my second SL to get rid of the unevenness in my leg, redo my knees, my stomach bumps and one arm. It has been one week and I see a great improvement on the contour of my leg. My knees and arm look and measure the same. The bumps on my stomach have been reduced about 50% but Im hoping they will go away completely in time. Im really getting tired of massaging!

The recovery this time was a breeze. The first couple of days were painful but by the third day I was driving and doing most things. I have little pain now but still have to wear the garment for one more week.

I have determined that the surgery did change my shape. After going through all my clothes, I have found dresses and outfits fit wonderfully whereas they did not before.

I think SL as with any cosmetic surgery is a work in process, like getting your hair done. Sometimes it perfect but other times you have to go a couple of times to get it to your definition of "right".

Its been 3.5 months since my second surgery. ...

Its been 3.5 months since my second surgery. Although I mentioned before that my stomach was 50% better it turned out just to be swelling. My stomach still has bumps and I havent been able to wear a bikini this summer. My swelling on my knees went down... and down and down and now I have a divet in one and both look like too much fat was taken out. My one legs looks slightly better. All in all, not good.

I havent seen the doctor since the one week post check up as Im not sure I want him touching me again or here his platitudes that "these things happen".

I am currently looking into seeing another doctor to fix my problems but am gun shy. If anyone has a good recommendation for a person in the Toronto area, I would greatly appreciate it. (I will post new pics soon)

Soooooo, the saga continues. I went back to the...

Soooooo, the saga continues. I went back to the first PS for my last check up. He said he could fix my bumps and indents in an hour. So he froze me up (with a local) and apparently fixed them. The experience was uncomfortable and becasue I dont like needles I cried through the whole thing like a baby. (I suck! - no pain tolerance whatsoever). That was yesterday (Aug 11) and there is little to no pain today - just a bit sore.

Let us all keep our fingers crossed that the 3rd time is a charm. Again, I would only do this again if it was a very small area.

After the 3rd operation (2 months ago), things are...

After the 3rd operation (2 months ago), things are a bit better but still not perfect. I will hold for 6 months to let everything settle and then visit 3-4 doctors to get their opinion. If anyone knows a "great" on in the Toronto area, please let me know. I have added more photos.

Ironically, I am having the indents on my stomach...

Ironically, I am having the indents on my stomach filled in today with fat. Cross your fingers that the 4th time is the charm!!

Well, its been two months since they tried the fat...

Well, its been two months since they tried the fat injections. The first month was great and it seemed to have worked wonderfully. However, after the swelling went down and I returned to working out, the dents are back. Not as deep, but still there for everyone to see. The doctor is going to try some skin tightening machine next month. I forgot to ask if it will be painful. I certainly hope not. More finger crossing!!!!

So where did we leave the story.... ah yes.....

So where did we leave the story.... ah yes...bumpiness. My inner thighs are getting a bit better with a lot of exercise, skin tightening and fat depositing naturally back. My dent above my knee has gone due to injected fat. My stomach is still bumpy. I have tried Palamore (spl?) and Venus (form of vela) and am now trying Accent to help tighten the area though I believe I will have to go for another fat injection operation to fix the problem this fall. All in all, I would never do this again. I now envy those who may have more fat but have smooth skin. I think people are looking and whispering when I wear a bikini at the beach. For those of you thinking to do it, make sure your skin has a lot of elasticity to bounce back. If not, wrinkles you never had before and saggy, uneven, bumpy skin which looks worse then cellulite. Ill write again nearer christmas to continue the saga.... Big hugs to everyone!

After my last surgery (6th-7th?) with regular...

After my last surgery (6th-7th?) with regular lipo, my body is pretty much fixed. The last remaining bumps will be reduced with cortisone shots. My legs are evened out, my stomach is back to where it was before the 1st surgery as time and age has returned the weight I wanted removed. All in all, I am now happy with my body and wish I had never started on this SL journey. I have posted my most recent pics. Good luck to you all.

He seems very nice and friendly but my results even after a second surgery were not good. After the third they were marginally better.

I'm so happy you got the revisions and you look great. Thanks for sharing your story.
Dri, you look great. I'm ecstatic you didn't give up. Although I cannot see anything close up on your fab pink bikini photo, I trust you when you say your back to normal. So you did traditional Lipo? Where at? And how did you solve the baggy skin? You have renewed my hope!!!! Tell all PLEASE. I finally posted some recent photos a few days ago. Still bumpy.still saggy, but my stomach is the least noticeable, thank god. You can see my thighs have little improvement after all this time. What are the shots you got and what were they for, tightening? Tell all :-):-):-):-) B B
Thanks hon. I did traditional lipo through a plastic surgeon here in Toronto. I still have baggy skin (especially when I sit down) but I found that laser (similar to velashape) helped with that. I saw your recent pics and they do look alot better. My doctor said that small bumps/dents are the hardest to correct. He has injected cortisone shots into the bumps which reduce the size of them. I still notice them but as you can see by my pic, not many people can see them. All in all, there is hope. You just have to find the right doctor and keep going. I always think.. it cant be worse then what I have now..... :)
Usually, lipo is an inward procedure done for an ingamined, outward result...Any one who wants lipo has to realize that the outcome is "just a guess" a "roll of the dice" and no doc can predict perfection...I had it....its OK I fit into clothes...I didn't not do it for a 'bikini look". If that is your intention.....get out of the clouds...you don't have enough money.
Reallogic
You appear to have an INWARD personality on women with pretty bodies that want to keep them. Not only is your comment rude to Dri, but you sound like a fool when you make your perception as to outcome. It should not be a guess, you consult for a reason. Its ENTIRELY dependant upon the Dr, and his experience and intentions. Obviously, otherwise Dri and I would not have the issues weve had. Then to tell someone they dont have enough money to get a bikini body? This woman can STILL wear a bikini at her age with having had children, so take your ignorant, for lack of ruder words, posts elsewhere. I wonder how it felt to hit the submit buttton for you, taking time out of your day to insult someone makes me wonder what you look like before and after.
Dri, your fabulous hun, I already know you wouldnt take a comment like this to heart, but I had to post...
BB
Thanks BB!! I couldnt have put it better myself. My tummy is looking better. After consulting with another dr, he said to wait another 6 months and one more fat grafting should fix it. For my legs and arms, however, the fat is returning slowly but surely. I think I may give up the fight soon and eat MacDonalds all day! :) Hope things are getting better with you. Bug hugs!
Big* Hugs!
I haven't posted in a while but saw this and wanted to respond: please do not have any revisions prior to 6 months if you can avoid it. i was still swollen a bit and sore at 2 months. wait 6 months and by then you'll be at your final result. i'm having a revision Memorial Day weekend. They did not get out all the fat and the practice I went to closed. I am also getting flanks done which i read stays sore longer. Dri, I hope your stomach continues to improve.
Thanks so much! My stomach is still indented. The "skin tightening" is not working, as it really was too much fat taken out in one area. Good luck with your touch up!
did you pay for the touch up or do they pay for that because you werent happy? i had sl 2 months ago and im still swolling and it is sore to touch, im woundering if ill need a touch up. i had my flanks and lower abs done.
I had to pay for some admin as I needed to go under again but not for the doctor.
It takes 6-12 months to really see results from SL. I have notice though that after 18 months my body is going back to the same shape, just more bumpy.
Hi Dri,
Your story has been very helpful, informative and realistic. Thank you. I would love to know if you have any visible scars and if you have any saggy skin?.
I have no visible scars but I do have saggy skin. The areas of most concern are the knees and stomach where I didnt have it before.

Hi Dri,

I totally understand where you're coming from, both in terms of wanting the lipo and looking for support. Your post was very informative for me - if it wasn't for you I don't think I would have properly understood the risks of smartlipo, or had realistic expectations.

I do see improvement in your latest set of pics, and while you point out the waviness in your thighs, I wonder if it would actually be noticeable to others in person. The reason I say this is that I'm thinking of getting a revision myself because there is some inconsistency that looks clear as day to me, but when I look in a mirror I'm not sure it's really visible, and hence may not be worth going under the knife again for.

I did traditional lipo, and my results are marginal - probably i'm the only one who would notice! But because I notice I do feel it was worthwhile for me.

I guess in the end lipo doesn't take the desired degree of 'edge' off aging and our slowing metabolisms, but this whole thing is a learning process and you are clearly doing the very best you can (working out 5-6 days a week is amazing!). Again - thanks for sharing your experience.
Thank you for you kind words and support!

Maybe try skin tightening before a revision if the problem area is minor.

Dri
Oh my goodness, your body before smartlipo is beautiful!!!!! Looks good after too but I would kill for your bod!!
no need for her to get lipo in the first place with that bod. one week of hard work nout would of fix it
Brookeh,

If you read my profile you can see that I worked out more then most people and it didnt help with the problem areas that were growing. I thought this site was to support people and share our experiences not to be judge and jury. Please dont post on my profile again.

Dri
Or they take out too much fat and you have loose skin. I had a large belly and the skin folded over to make '2' stomachs. I now have lose skin near the fold and a line/ wrinkle. I'm ok with it because my clothes fit better and high waist bikini covers the line. But there's no way of knowing how well your skin will heal. I will say I had a big belly all my life so of course it was stretched out. Since tummy tuck sounds scary I'm happy with the lipo results.
Hi Toronto,

Not sure why people get bumps but the dents are from the doctors taking out too much fat in one area. Most doctors say that it will go away and it does get a bit better with time. However, its been a year and I still have the dents. I have been to see other doctors and they say I need them filled.

I may now be bit thinner then I was but I am wavy and bumpy. Each person is different and the doctors do not know (no matter what they say) what your result will be.

Good Luck! and Happy New Year.
Hello Dri,

My body is very similar to yours, and I'd appreciate your sharing the Zeltiq experience.
Did you talked to your doctor about the bumps on your tummy after treatment? How come that you got them?

Thank you! Happy Holidays!
Hi, First off, I wanted to say that by looking at your pictures, I assumed you were in your 20's. Your "before" body was beautiful, and your new body is simply a more slender version of the same body. Honestly, I wouldn't have pegged you as needing lipo given that you have such a good contours, and I can't see any excess fat. I'm glad that you have managed to work out the 'bumps', and would appreciate seeing new photos. I am in a similar boat to you, although I need more "contouring" than you did. I have consulted with Middleton and Rice, and I was very pleased by my consultation with Dr. Rice. Now I'm not sure what to think. Have you managed to find a lipo PS that you are happy with now? I wouldn't mind going for a consultation with him/her. Any advice on Dr's in Toronto would be great - there are so many to choose from, and its just so hard to tell what their strengths/weaknesses might be. Thanks, Carmen
Hi Carmen,

I wanted a slender version of my body. As I got older, my body got bigger and there were areas that were not responding to diet and excerise. I was working out 5-6 days a week just to maintain. As Botched Beauty has indicated, we were just trying to maintain what we had. In anycase, there are a lot of Dr's in Toronto and I am in the same boat as you looking for the "best" one. I know that SL is not for everyone. On some it looks fantastic on others it doesnt. Im not sure whether its the machine/technique or the doctor or both. Its a gamble. Some Dr's I've spoken with say SL is a scam and prefer traditional lipo. I usually check RateMD and have found that website helpful. I posted pics yesterday but I assume it takes a few days to be approved. Ill let you know if I find a "good" doctor! Good Luck.
Our results on inner thighs and stomach looks like twins... bottom line, we were way more perfect before and let's be honest...the knee area hurt so bad the first time. The bottom pictures I posted on my post are approx 5 and 6 post from redo. I'm not looking any better on my thighs or my stomach, period. And people do notice my stomach. I'm tired of getting messages that say they would have not done it because my body was pretty. But the point was to stay that way. I know by your measurements and before photos that at least you understand. Just wanted to keep what I had, that's all. Now I feel like Frankenstein in the nude. I have been through a year of surgeries and I'm hideously disfigured...so hating myself and the consultant. God can only grant I run into her spending her commission at the mall someday. Even that wouldn't help me, so why bother? And Dri...when you've looked like us all your life, it isn't vanity..its maintenance. I said it before too but truth is all we wanted was to keep what we have.I'll keep you posted.