Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty Changed My Face/Life/Health - Toronto, ON

I had a cosmetic rhinoplasty and septoplasty on...

I had a cosmetic rhinoplasty and septoplasty on August 10,2011.

I had been unhappy with my nose for a long time for the following reasons:
- too big for face (too long, too wide)
- dorsal bump/hump
- hanging columella
- crooked nose
- deviated septum that caused problems with breathing, nose bleeds (quite severe at times for my entire life), irritation, runny nose, pain, sinus headaches and pressure.

PROS:
Everything.
- hump is gone!
- nose is slimmer (I am still swollen but lateral osteotomies helped to slim the nasal bones)
- columella is no longer hanging
- I can breathe (septum is no longer deviated)
- Most of all, I dont have to hate the way I look because of my big ugly nose. I no longer fear that people are staring at my nose. I am aware that this may sound quite shallow to some of the readers, however, unless you suffer from a large, deformed nose, you will never understand how lucky you are and what a sense of relief it is to have a normal looking nose post-op.

I hated my nose so much that I didnt want to see it again (i.e., I didnt want my new post-op nose to resemble my pre-op nose whatsoever) Now - when I look in the mirror I do not see my old nose and I feel a sense of relief and a great sense of happiness because I am very satisfied with my new nose.

CONS:
None. Except, if you dont have patience - rhinoplasty, the open type in particular, has a long recovery period. Although I am 3 months post-op and I have healed very well, I am still swollen and still have a long way to go.

Overall: I am very happy. I think the pictures speak for themselves

Hi...thanks for posting your story. I had a rhino/septo 4 weeks ago. How was your recovery? Did you nose feel very sensitive? Mine is finally feeling OK...where I can put makeup on without it hurting. Just curious because reading the stories on here, everyone says how easy it was.
Yes my nose did feel sensitive. I am still careful when applying makeup. Actually, I dont have to apply as much makeup to the nose anymore. Prior to the surgery I had very wide nasal bones which almost appeared to or did create shadows alongside my nose, which I would try to cover up. It never seemed to help much. The surgery did because my doctor narrowed the bones. Im still swollen and my nose is stiff. I am careful when applying makeup.
The recovery is long but is worth it. You only have one chance to heal so you might as well do it right.
yea... I actually love Dr.Smith. Everyday I wake up it gets better and better well lol a few hours after I get up just cuz it's swollen when I first get up. Your nose looks AMAZING and I think that we both made a good decision going to him. Cheers to a new face better life and better health !

Hi everyone, I am just updating a few pictures...

Hi everyone,

I am just updating a few pictures. I am now 3.5 months post-op. Here are some pictures.
hello
i would like to see more pictures of you...please.
thank you very much.
looks great! really perfect.
Hey your nose looks awesome! I'm like you with big eyes and med/large lips. It's nice to see someone on here with similar features. My nose is long and skinny too. Your nose fits you good now. It's more feminine, which is what i want. Very nice! Do you mind posting some updated photos? THanks !

Hi everyone! I had added 2 more pictures at the 1...

Hi everyone! I had added 2 more pictures at the 1.5 year mark following my open rhinoplasty.
You look even more gorgeous than before the surgery! And, very lucky to have found the right surgeon for your primary. It's almost one year since your last update. Have you noticed any changes in your tip? Does it still hold up the way it did last year? My tip collapsed and the shape of my nose completely changed one and half years into the surgery and keeps changing and looking worse than the day before.
Wow, what a difference! Love your nose. You are gorgeous! Thanks so much for updating your review and adding new pics. I love when people do that so you can see if the results are still good etc. So helpful! I am looking into getting revision rhinoplasty and have a consultation booked with Dr. Smith. If you have time please check out my review. I am not happy with the results from my previous rhinoplastys (all done by the same surgeon) and am looking elsewhere and have heard nothing but good things about Dr. Smith.
You look gorgeous!!
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Oakley Smith is an amazing and very skilled surgeon. He went above and beyond exceeding my already high expectations. People often describe me as a perfectionist and I am very happy with the way he was able to transform my nose. I actually found Dr. Smith through RealSelf. I wanted a rhinoplasty for a very long time, but I knew that I had to choose the right surgeon or I would be risking a deformed nose, and a revision rhinoplasty. After reviewing his pictures and answers to other members' questions, I felt quite confident in him and decided to book a consultation. To be honest, I didnt see any other surgeons for a consultation. I was so very confident in Dr. Smith that I knew after the consultation that I wanted to proceed through to surgery with him. Sometimes you just know when something feels right, and, in this case, I went with him and I didnt feel the need to get another opinion of another doctor. I immediately felt comfortable with Dr. Smith. He was very helpful from the time I booked the consultation all the way through to before and after the surgery in answering my questions. I never felt rushed during any of our appointments. Also, in the above star ratings for Wait Times, I only gave Dr Smith a 4, which in this case is a positive thing. He is such an excellent, skilled and professional rhinoplasty and reconstructive surgeon that he is in a very high demand, and therefore there is a longer wait time to book the surgery. However, the wait time is nothing compared to the years I lived with my ugly nose and I was willing to wait for the best. I have heard of other surgeons booking cosmetic surgeries within 2 weeks of the consultation - be aware because this obviously means that they are either rushing through surgeries or have very few patients. Overall, he is an amazing surgeon and I could not imagine a better result. I am very happy that I found him and selected him as my rhinoplasty surgeon.