He Gave Me a Wide, Bulbous, Crooked Nose, and Nerve Damage…Think Twice...- Toronto, ON

I did my primary revision with Dr. Solomon in 2010...

I did my primary revision with Dr. Solomon in 2010. During these past 4 years, I've experienced nothing but physical and emotional pain, agony, and excruciating sense of guilt over choosing this doctor while I had a very negative gut feeling about him.
From his reviews on this site and another website, I can see that he has started to "care" about what's being said about him. I hope he reads this review.

When I went to him, having consulted about 7 other very qualified plastic surgeons, he seemed to be cold, indifferent, dismissing,derogatory, and rushed. I left his office feeling that I would never return to him. It was only after consulting with my dermatologist that I was persuaded to return to Solomon, because, as she said, my rhinoplasty was a simple job and other doctors were simply charging too much! She also told me that she had heard so many good things about him. It was only after my botched surgery that she said she'd actually heard about him through the media and his paid ads in beauty magazines!!! She has also told me she will never refer anyone to him ever again...

Dr. Solomon turned my beautiful, completely straight nose into a mashed eggplant. I asked him only to narrow my nostrils and correct my deviated septum. He gave me an ugly, botched tip-plasty and cut too much cartridge from the right side. He also caused a nerve damage that has left me in pain to this date. After talking to his other patients that I'd found on the internet (and yes, all those negative reviews are from different, very real, sane individuals), that I realized I am not his only victim. My nose is: bulbous, wide, crooked, collapsed tip, and worsened breathing problems. My nose is now so crooked and droopy that every revision surgeon I consult tell me out-right that my problems are due to an obvious surgeon's error.

Finally, after many steroid injections (him thinking that it would make my bulbous tip smaller), he finally agreed to do a "revision septoplasty" telling me that I may have no cartridge left to be fixed (his mistake to begin with…) and that there is nothing more he can do. I am sure he is only doing that to charge the health ministry and from the experience sod his other patients he will never even attempt to fix his mess. I cannot trust him with a revision; I cannot really see him as a caring, competent surgeon. My primary was under 50 minutes, and from what I know, most his surgeries are under 1 hour (as I was informed by a nurse the day I went for my pre-admission tests at the Etobicoke General Hospital). I've been so depressed that, for the past 4 years, I cry every time i see myself in the mirror, don't let anyone take a picture of me, and absolutely believe that my face and facial expressions have changed since the surgery. Scared and untrusting of other surgeons, along with financial burden of doing a revision, I think Dr. Solomon is absolutely a horrible "surgeon" who does not possess qualities of care and responsibility, or professional competence.

Pics

photo

3 years later

Photos

Odo, the Changeling (have to see the humour, otherwise it gets very depressing)

Photos

Odo, the Changeling (have to see the humour, otherwise it gets very depressing)

Typo!

Sorry, I meant to say that I had my "primary rhinoplasty" done with Dr. Solomon. I have not had any revision yet.

Does this sound familiar?

Does this sound familiar to you too? I was shocked that on the morning of my surgery, as I was waiting to be ushered to the OR, Dr. Solomon came to me in a hurry (he was running late and looked like he'd just woken up!) and said: " so, what you are WE doing today?!!" I felt a bucket of ice dumped over my head. I expected him to hold my chart with photos and diagrams reminding him of what I had specifically requested him to do. Oh, how naive I was...but I still managed to say, "septoplasty and alarpalsty to narrow my nostrils" . To make the long story short, he gave me a botched TIPPLASTY and shifted my nose from centre to the left. I also deal with facial pain (especially when I chew) on a daily basis. I'm still dumbfounded why I didn't run for my life after his question....I guess I'll never know..

New pics: Notice the width, overprotection of the tip and storage "creases" over my upper lip

Nose changing shape every day!?

My new photos were just taken today. See how wide my nose is. My nose was half this width before my primary rhinoplasty with Solomon. Also, looking up my nostrils, my nose is crooked and shifted to the right. But looking at my frontal view, my nose is totally crooked (has an s-shaped to it) and shifted to the left. The crookedness is very obvious is person and in some photos (depends on lighting) I also have creases above my upper lip that makes me look absolutely hideous and freakish. There used to be 1 crease, but as of a few months ago, there are 2 creases. I DID NOT have these problems before my rhinoplasty. I also have congestion and crusty nose (24/7) and pain in my nose, especially when I chew.
There are no words in the language that could describe how sad I feel and how many tears I've wept every time I see my reflection in the mirror or look at my photos.

Side profile

I wanted to post photos of my side profile but there hasn't been much change in my side profile. I had an almost perfect (near-ideal, according to other experts I consulted) before my primary. My tip wasn't bulbous either. So, I specifically asked Solomon not to touch my tip and my side profile. He still shaved off my side profile (that I asked him not to touch!) and left a hump that now needs to be removed. The hump is not clearly noticeable in photos but you can see it in person. I also have a hanging columella (again, created by my surgeon). My main problems, and I have quite a few of them, are in the tip work, bad workmanship in osteotomy, and overcorrection of my septum. In a nutshell, My face a work of art! Has anyone seen Picasso's "Woman Crying"?

*correction:

*correction: New pics: Notice the width, overprojection of the tip and strange "creases" above my upper lip

Pain in the nose after Rhinoplasty: Has anyone else experienced this?

I did my primary rhinoplasty in November 2010. I experienced severe swelling and bruising and pain. My entire face was swollen for months. I remember I had a pillow-face for at least 4 months after my rhinoplasty. The pain was persistent and my surgeon always contributed that to swelling and the natural healing process that your body has to go through after any surgery. I accepted that because, at the time, it made sense. The pain eased up around 1 1/2 years after my surgery but never completely disappeared.

Two years and a few months after my primary, I started getting swelling the way I did right after my surgery and my tip started getting more and more droopy. And the pain, oh that pain, came back full force. I have taken photos of my nose since my primary so I know for a fact that I haven't been imagining the metamorphosis of my nose! It’s definitely not in my ‘head’! The pain in my nose has never been explained.

My surgeon, after refusing to operate on me, clearly told me that it is impossible to have pain and that "it is all in my head!!" However, for the first year, when he was reassuring that he will fix everything, he acknowledged that I had pain! The 5 experts that I have consulted for my revision have told me that it might be due to irritation and inflammation of my nose but they cannot say with certainty until they are actually doing the revision and open up my nose and see what happened to it during the primary. One suggested that the pain might be due to my collapsed valve (yes, my breathing problems are at least 10 times worse than before).

Thanks to the Realself community, I have been communicating with another patient who has been experiencing the same issue. She has educated me about detecting sources of facial pain: MRI without radiation is the way to know if you have nerve damage! And that the location of my pain may be due to damage to infra-orbital nerve. It makes sense to me, because what I experience is sharp intense nerve pain. I did not know that, and apparently neither did all those experts I consulted!

I know for sure that something happened to my facial nerves during the surgery, but ‘what’? And, ‘how’ can it be fixed? (I don't wish to think ‘if’!)

As Always, I am asking you vigilantes out there to contact me and help me out. Has any one ever experienced what I’ve been experiencing? My search for a revision expert has been modified from not just finding someone who can fix the external structure of my mutilated nose, but to finding a real expert who can find the source of my issues and put an end to this annoying pain.

I will be requesting my GP to request an MRI for me. I live in Canada, so it's going to take a while to get it done. But I will keep you all posted.

Moral of the story: persistent pain and swelling years or even months after rhinoplasty is not NORMAL healing process, and, NO, you’re not going insane either! It is REAL pain and it may be due to some serious damage to your facial nerves and/or sinuses that happened during surgery. Your surgeon is responsible for this damage!

Useful link

A while back, I found this website (Dr. R. Davis). I am not advocating for this doctor because I really don't know his work but thought the information was very helpful in terms of explaining rhinoplasty to the layman (aka, yours truly!)

My other suggestion for those thinking of getting a primary or revision is to know the anatomy of your nose and different surgical techniques so when your surgeon is telling you about his action plans, you'll know what he is talking about and do not blindly accept what he says.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Think twice before going to him and learn from my painful experience and many others like me. He is now widely advertising and targeting certain ethnic communities in GTA. He does not have a clue what is considered a beautiful face in different cultures. There is no way he can ever be considered an "ethnic rhinoplasty" expert. Please be warned that he is not going to listen to you and has no respect for individual concerns and does not take the time to explain risks, procedures, or things he can or cannot do. He Lacks empathy and does not seem to understand the value and significance of a woman's face in her life and on her self-esteem. His surgeries are rushed and sloppy. One star is one too many for this doctor. I rated the payment process as 5 star because he is really good at taking your money. His lower fees represent his attitude of "you get what you pay for" , hence the half-done nose jobs. For a whole year, he LIED to me reassuring me that he will fix his mess, and at the end of the year he REFUSED to touch my nose telling me there is no cartilage left and my nose would collapse!! According to 5 other revision surgeons I consulted in Toronto, this is not true. He played psychological games with me going from admitting that my rhinoplasty was unsatisfactory and promised he will fix it to telling me: "it's all in your head" and "you're the only one who sees it's crooked and is bothered by it!!" (who else was supposed to be bothered by my crooked, disfigured nose??!!) , and "stop looking at the mirror!!!!!???" There is a pattern to his work and how he treats his innocent, hard-working patients. Read his online reviews carefully and look at my photos: A picture is worth a thousand words!

I feel your pain . Just started not to long ago 5 months (only ) in pain for different reason but the truth is you r beautiful and u will get it fixed one day .
Thank you. I have faith that I will have it fixed some day soon. Hope you feel better soon. Keep well :))
Not anytime soon . I believe I will have lots of crawling to do in order to get better . You to keep well and strong as u are . :)
You will feel better, I am sure of that. I wasn't strong, a botched rhinoplasty crushed me and changed who I am.I am not the person I used to be. However, I am learning to not let this completely avoidable and unnecessary surgery ruin my life. I am learning to be hopeful that one day it will be fixed in the hands of a competent surgeon.
Did you go in just for a septoplasty? if a rhinoplasty, what did you want done? Are you looking for revision Drs now? I'm sorry you have to go through this, I can relate, its been 7 months of hell for me
Hi Peonia, Thanks for reading my review. I had a septorhinoplasty in 2010. Yes, I have been actively looking for a revision doctor. It is very difficult to trust someone this time around. I have been leaning towards a few doctors but haven't made a final decision yet. I read your review. I am so sorry you too have been dealing with this. And it's too bad that you are not happy with your revision. I hope your nose looks better with time. It's stories like yours that make me confident in my decision not to have a revision with my primary surgeon.
Im so sorry you have to go through all this, it breaks my heart :(
I ran away from him after my rushed 2 min consultation where he basically said NOTHING, he didn't even look or touch my nose he just drew a nose on a piece of paper and was like "I want to cut off this hump right here through closed rhinoplasty" and then asked if i had any questions....REALLY? ugh waste of 113 bucks.
Thanks so much for your kinds words and for reading my review. You have no idea how happy and relieved I feel every time I hear someone say they ran for their lives after meeting Solomon. You truly dodged the bullet, my friend. Unfortunately, I ran at first but the hands of the universe somehow brought me back to the ONLY doctor that I really disliked after my consultation (and I believe I consulted about 7 for my primary).
And, yes, this is exactly what he did during my consult. I have his doodling of my nose during that visit! I'm thinking of making it my profile pic on this website!! He is an embarrassment to his profession.keep well:))
Excellent advice about educating oneself before the surgery!
Thank you! I just saw your new photos. Your nose looks lovely. I can see how Dr. B. improved the overall shape and size of your nose. He did a great job! Keep well :)
Thanks. It's getting better every day.
I had an xray to check if my previous septoplasty was causing an infection (I still had tenderness and burning in my nose up to two years after the event) only to find that I had no infection but I still had a deviated septum. While I didn't have an MRI, you're probably checking for nerve damage, right? It's great you're getting everything checked out. MRIs can take a while in Canada, if you have the extra money you could get one done quickly at a private clinic but if you can wait the healthcare system has been very helpful. Have you seen a neurologist as well about the nerves?
Hope you're feeling better. And glad to hear you don't have an infection. Yes, apparently there is away to get it done privately in Toronto but it's very expensive (another patient told me it may cost about $1000!). I haven't checked that venue because of the expenses involved. I hope I don't have to wait more a couple of months and that's a very optimistic estimate of the wait-time in Toronto. I am hoping for the best and that there isn't any nerve damage. I am reading about it and trying to get as much information as I can. The idea of seeing a neurologist is good. I will ask my GP what she thinks is the best course of action. I was thinking I may need to see an ENT surgeon (but not a plastic surgeon) to get a less biased opinion. I just saw your new photos. You look beautiful! Fantastic nose job, enjoy it, stay healthy and no more IV's, Please! :))
Finding out it wasn't an infection was a relief (the burning stopped at the two year post mark) but finding out I still had a deviated septum kind of irked me. I did some reading up for you on people with similar conditions and they said most ENTs couldn't figure it out but recommended a neurologist, which is why I mentioned it. You're definitely not the only one who has had this complication from a rhinoplasty, and it worries me that some people take surgery so lightly, especially after a crazy recovery like the one I had myself. Thank you so much for the ego boost. It's weird to me being called beautiful after being around abusive people for so long calling me ugly and tearing me down, it's very alien, and everyone is so supportive on this website. I keep thinking "they're just trying to be nice" and "little white lies" but I'll never really know. I find that I get different treatment however, when I dress classy or when I put on makeup with my new nose.. so I think.. people are wired to be shallow and a lot of them never question it. I hope very much for a relief from your chronic pain. There's lots of docs out there who do great revisions, even my doc does them but if you want world class, there's some research to be done. One of my talents is finding stuff on the net, especially dirt on doctors, which is why I chose this specific surgeon for my nose, and I think I chose the right one. If you need help finding out I can help you find a few to choose from. And I'm slowly getting healthier, my nose faster than the rest of me (surprisingly). I also hope for no more IVs I HATE those things. :( And never listen to a doctor if he tells you it's all in your head (I've run into these problems a lot).. a lot of doctors are quick to dismiss what they don't understand. Just because they can't find a reason doesn't mean it doesn't exist. A couple of years ago I became crippled and couldn't walk but all my testing showed I was healthy. Did this mean I was healthy? NO. I ended up doing my own research and working with my doctor until we found a treatment that worked for me, and continued until the symptoms no longer came back. Every other doctor would have dismissed me. Keep at it. And remember that most people do not understand chronic pain.. I used to be one of them, the "oh, just suck it up" kind of people until I experienced severe pain that left me in a crying ball every single day for half a year with no explanation. They just can't understand.. they can try, but they can't. Doctors and friends are human too. They make mistakes.. and now I'm rambling.
I know what you mean when it comes to being judged based on your appearance. I can even see it with the way I wear my hair and makeup; I definitely get treated differently! But I was very sincere about you looks. Your nose looks lovely! I know it is still swollen and doesn't feel like it's yours, but even with swelling, it looks very good. You have very soft facial features (can't comment on your eyes because they are crossed off!) , but I can see that the new nose really suits your other facial features and lines and seems to bring a lot of symmetry to your face. And that's what a beautiful face is all about: symmetry! And, thanks so much for your offer to help. I'm doing extensive research as well, but always welcome wisdom and experience of everyone in this community. I'll send you a PM with a few names and I'll tell you why I won't mention their names publicly. I'd really grateful if you can share with me what you know about them or if you can help me with information, any kind of information-- good or bad! I have lost my faith in ratemd because I know they are pressured to remove reviews if the doctor don't like them! I also see a lot of "suspicious" reviews on realself lately. And, I'm so happy you got better after your illness. You are right, we need to be more proactive in terms of our own health and wellbeing and not take every "prognosis" as the final verdict. And, it's so true, doctors are human beings too. They also make mistakes. But then we have those who own up to their mistakes and take the "Hippocratic Oath" seriously and do their best to help, and those who see the patient as a cash cow and a "means" for funding their lucrative lifestyles. Okay, I'm starting to ramble too :))
hi, so sorry you had to go through this. I thought i was the only one with chronic pain after my primary, well my nose is a mess and it s soo painfull. the internal lining burn and if my hair brushes against my nose , i jump from pain. i can t even touch my nose, and it doesn t want to go away. my nose is hard as rock at 14 months after primary, are you having the same issue. i ve been to many doctors and noone knows what causes the pain.
I'm sorry to hear you are having all these issues. Yes, I have chronic pain and my tip still hurts. My tip is hard rock after 3 1/2 years since my surgery. I am waiting to get MRI done to see whether there were any nerve damage during the surgery. Some doctors I have consulted tell me that it may not be nerve damage; rather, some kind of inflammation that occurred or was worsened after surgery. I have serious breathing problems that I didn't have before. One doctor told me it could be internal infection while others said it is not very likely! To make the long story short, No one knows for sure until they open up my nose and see what's going on in there. What does the external structure of your nose look like? are you happy with the shape? Are you going to have a revision?
Ouch, nothappy111! That is definitely not a normal amount of pain. I did have internal burning on and off for about two or three years past my primary, no reason was ever found, despite loads of tests. It no longer bothers me, though. Have you had an xray or ct scan of your face? I had the xray (which didn't show inflammation, but didn't explain the random burning). This question seems to have a similar problem- they recommended seeing a neurologist to check your sensory nerve supply. If it is nerve damage, they are coming out with new treatments all the time, so hang in there best you can! I've had chronic severe pain before and I know how hard it is. However don't rule out anything or get stuck on any one idea- keep looking, educating yourself, asking questions, someone is bound to be able to help you. Try to aim for peer reviewed articles or studies written by doctors rather than random websites that have no citation or sketchy, small sample studies.
my nose looks horrible, small retracted. pinched and collapsed. I feel deformed, my breathing is bad. I do need revision , but i am worried about opening a nose that hurts,.I feel like it s fragile . my tip is hard and so tender to the touch. i am going too do some blood work and test to see if i have inflammation or infection. i ll keep you posted. so what did the doctors said about operating on your nose while it s tender and still hard?
Thank you icecrytalsky, I had a scan , didn t explain the internal burning, how is your pain now, hope you are bellter, do you need revision as well? I am so scared to operate on a nose that hiurts so much.
That's exactly how I feel. It's best to see an ENT specialist (maybe not a plastic surgeon since he or she may have an invested interested in getting you to do a revision) and/or see a neurologist. Have you asked for a second opinion yet? Has anyone offered you a plausible explanation? In my case, they tell me possible causes and they also tell me that they can operate. As with any surgery, there are risks involved. Make sure you see a really good "revision specialist" who's known to take his time with his patients. As for my rock hard tip: The cause is the graft my surgeon put in my tip which wasn't placed properly and it is making my tip also very droopy. I've been told that it can be removed. That's what I want. Having said that, my tip started getting softer about 2 years after my surgery. It's still not as soft as it was pre-surgery, but also not as hard as before.
Nothappy111, I had a not so good septoplasty and random burning inside my nose for three years. After that I had rhinoplasty- I'm thinking some of the burning has to do with dryness and air temperature triggering sensitivity but I'm not sure. It really has gotten better over time but there really still is no explanation. I have heard of some success using Botox to paralyse a damaged nerve to relieve pain. Do you think it could maybe be something like trigeminal neuralgia or some other nerve related problem? Some describe this condition as hairs causing pain, like you do. Damaged nerve, or even scar tissue aggravating it..? Keep looking for an answer! It's out there somewhere.
thank you icecrystalsky,( cool username by the way) , I was told it s maybe a nerve damage and dryness both. I m glad to hear that it went away. so you had a rhinoplasty while it was still hurting? i m worried about that . and was your nose hard? mine is hard like a rock and it has been 14 months since my primary.