Upper and Lower Jaw Surgery - Toronto, ON

Hello everyone I am new to this site. On January 9...

Hello everyone I am new to this site. On January 9 2013 I had what is known as a "lefort 1 osteotomy; bilateral Sagital split ramus osteotomy, genioplasty; left mandibular custom inlay implant" (phew! I hope I got that right!). In a nutshell I had jaw asymmetry, had both upper and lower jaws done, an adjustment done to my chin since it was shifting more towards the right, and also a titanium implant that was put in my left jaw to even out my asymmetry. I'm now one month post-op and pretty much the majority of pain is gone except for in my chin and lower lip. It's pain but also a weird numbing/burning sensation (on my lower lip that is.) A lot of the swelling has gone down also. I just can't believe how straight I look in the mirror and my bite is dead on! I just hope things will continue to get better as the days go by. Thanks for reading.

thank you for sharing but could you also tell me who was the surgeon who worked on your jaw? i have been trying to look for a surgeon that has successful experience with this kind of work. thank you.
Would you mind sharing where you had it done? I'm from the GTA and I'm hoping to have a correction from my braces screwing up my bite 10 years ago (when I was 11-13). I'm nervous about picking a good surgeon, so I think it's best to go with someone who's been given a good testimonial :)
I was wondering why it cost that much. Isn't jaw surgery covered by government health care? And also, did your nose change much after the surgery?
My nose looks narrower after the surgery, which I like. But I don't like how the distance from my nose to my mouth is longer.

Congrats on getting your surgery done! I'm so glad to hear that overall you are doing well!

I would love it if you would fill us in on more of the details. I'm assuming you were in braces during the surgery. Did your jaw have to be wired shut for a healing period?

I had braces on for almost two years before the surgery was done. I wasn't wired shut but I had on these heavy duty elastics for the first week-only able to drink liquids at the time. Currently I am wearing elastics and I am allowed to take them off when I'm eating. I am also on a soft food diet since chewing is forbidden the first few weeks following surgery. This is actually the second time I have had to wear braces which has been a real pain. The first time was for six years! Jeez.....Now I'm officially five weeks post op and I'm lovin' it! I plan on going back to work within two weeks time. Reading other people's experiences with surgery has been very helpful and informative for me. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in this.

Holy cow, 6 years of braces and back in them now - you should get some kind of braces lifetime achievement award for putting up with that!!

I'm so glad to hear you are continuing to heal up well. I hope the soft food diet isn't too hard on you. I know it can be a challenge not being able to eat what you want.

Keep posting so we can hear more about how things are going for you, please. I know hearing your story will be so helpful to others!

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing. Would you be able to post photos of your jaw before and after? Also which doctor performed your surgery? Lastly, did your nose shift at all?? Thanks!! xx