My Tattoo Removal - Toronto ON

Immediately after getting my tattoo and taking the...

Immediately after getting my tattoo and taking the bandage off I knew I hated it and it wasn't me. I didn't rush out and get it. I thought about it for a long time. But unfortunately I didn't end up loving it the way I thought I would. It's been almost a year and a half since I got it. I immediately started looking into removal options and went for a few consultations. I started removal only a few months after getting it.

I have now had 6 removal sessions. The first 5 were done with the medlite C6 laser. For my 6th treatment I switched to a new removal place because they have the new TATTX laser. I was started at a very low setting there since all my other sessions were at a different clinic and they didn't know how my skin was going to react. I have not noticed a difference since that treatment but I'm hoping when I go for my next session and the laser gets turned up I'll notice more fading. I really hope I can get rid of this thing, and without scarring. There are only a couple people who even know I have it and I hate the thought of anyone else seeing it. I dread summer because it's not exactly in a easy spot to hide.

I wanted to post a review because when I was looking for options I couldn't find many reviews from actual people undergoing removal.

I have a few photos I am going to try and post but I'm not sure of the exact date of them or what treatment it was. I don't have any recent ones since my sixth but nothing noticable has changed.

Hey, I just read that the Ruby laser is the best for dark colors such as black ink. That Picosure laser is awesome for blues and greens. They can do multiple Ruby laser treatments one sessions after another if desired. Usually up to a maximum of four per session. I see your tattoo is all black, so you will want to make sure that they are using that Ruby laser.
I'm so glad you are posting your experience. I've been watching Blackberry11's experience as well as Barbiedoll90. There are so many experiences out there. And I know about ink regret, the bandage came off of mine and I instantly hated it and made an appointment for removal. I didn't jump into this decision, had been waiting for four years, talking with the artist, had designs and it just didn't turn out the way it was intended. Note to self: always speak up, you are the customer and you have rights. I have had two sessions with alex trivantage (I think) and the next session will be the R20 technique. I read the intial medical study done in Greece and it is available to read online through the NCBI database. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22036610 The participants did not have scarring and the technician who does my treatments is trained by a noted plastic surgeon. I have full confidence that it will be the best way and the clinic I go to will adopt this treatment as their standard practice as they have clients who fly into the area for treatment. By the end of May I will have had 8 treatments (two singles and two R20) andhopefully it'll be fading. I do like your pictures and I do like your tattoo, it's beautiful! But if it's not for you, then it's not for you. Many people say my tattoo is beautiful but it is just not for me. Good luck with removal and keep us posted.
Thank you so much for your response! It's nice to know I'm not the only one going through this and I'm glad I can help others! You're right... It's just not for me. I felt like the tattoo artist rushed my tattoo. He had another appt scheduled close to mine and I felt like he was trying to hurry up and get mine done. He asked me at one point if I would want to come back another day to finish it and I said I wanted it all done that day like planned. (now I wish I stopped and left!! lol) Another artist walked in and commented on how he still had at tons to do and wouldn't finish in time. He said he would "get it done". Another mistake I made was letting him freehand some flowers that weren't on the original design. I feel like it looks so uneven and awful and some of the flowers were poorly done. I realize removal is a very lengthy process but I feel like after 6 treatments I'm not seeing the fading that I should be. I'm always so worried I am going to be stuck with this forever. Best of luck in your removal. I would really love to see pictures of your tattoo/progress as well. Do you have a review posted?

I went for my my 8th treatment yesterday. (3rd...

I went for my my 8th treatment yesterday. (3rd treatment with the Tattx laser). The laser was turned up to the highest setting and it hurt so bad! (They don't use numbing cream there - just cold air and ice packs for a couple minutes before). Immediately after the treatment my back felt super hot and sore but that didn't last for too long. Today it is just a little tender and very red.

I asked them to send my pictures to me so that I can post on here for everyone to see but I haven't received them yet. For now I tried taking a picture myself to show it but I apologize for the crappy quality! lol The picture definetly doesn't show how red it really is.

The tattoo is definetly lighter then before I started treatments but at the same time I was hoping for better results by now :(. The lady doing my treatment said she thought maybe 3 more sessions but said its hard to tell. I was told I would probably only need 3 or 4 treatments when I went for my Tattx consulation and it's already been 3! Hoping since they laser was turned all the way up this time I see greater fading (and no scarring).

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

I have also noticed this time that the spots with...

I have also noticed this time that the spots with lots of shading still left look sort of white / grey - I am hoping this isn't the start of scarring / hypopigmentation :S. Does anyone else experience this right after a treatment?

your progress is great! Don't worry any hyper or hypo will clear in time. I have not had any yet, I don't think, but if the ink is leaving, be happy with that. We are both on the same session...you are in Toronto right, what clinic do you go to again?
Yes, I am going to Toronto for removal at Clarity Med Spa. Unfortunately I haven't really noticed any changes or fading. It seems like the majority of the shading was removed my first couple sessions and now there is just no changes. I'm afraid the laser has already removed everything it can. It's hard to tell with the ink still being there but hopefully I don't / wont have any scarring. I do noticed some of the areas with lots of ink feel raised at times. Part of the reason I got the tattoo in the first place is because I had hypopigmentation spots I was trying to hide. So what I am most worried about is getting more hypopigmentation because that is something that doesn't get better in time. Years before getting the tattoo I talked to a dermatologist about treatment for the spots and she told me I would be stuck with it forever and there is absolutely no treatment for it.

Had my 9th treatment yesterday

I had my 9th treatment yesterday. Ever since I started going to the new clinic I have had the same girl doing my treatments. When I went in yesterday I had somebody new doing them since the other one doesn't work there anyone. She asked how I felt about my fading and I mentioned I haven't noticed much of a change since switching to that laser. She said "Okay, well we can turn the laser up." The problem is the other girl doing my treatments has been telling me she was using the laser on a high setting. (The laser goes up to ten and she told me I was being treated on the highest setting.) When she said she could turn it up I mentioned that I was told it was already up as high as it would go and she said No, that I was being treated at 5. So she set it at 6.5 yesterday.
I'm not really sure which one of the technicians to believe lol. I felt like this session hurt a lot less and my skin looks a lot less damaged. If I was really only being treated at a 5 and she turned it I was expecting it to hurt more and looks a lot worse. I guess I will have to wait and see if I notice anymore fading. I am going to try and update a photo taken right after treatment yesterday.

9th treatment

I thought I would mention the white lines drawn on my back in case anyone is wondering. She said she was going to draw those and use them as a guide to make sure she didn't miss any spots.

Your results are so great!!!  I am sooo happy for you!!!
wow :D, amazing... :D such a dark tattoo and so large, what a great results. AMAZING :P Can you tell me what laser your doctor uses?

photos

The clinic finally sent me the photos of my treatments. I have had four treatments total there and looking at the pictures I really do not notice a different from the first one until now. Very discouraging :(

Hi Palmtree, I've had three treatments so far with TattX and am pretty happy with the results but need another three for sure. I was wondering if you would recommend MedLite? Judging from your pictures, it seems to have a lot more redness than TattX, I've only ever had the setting up to 6 so I can't imagine what 10 would feel like! I had Steph working on me (you probably did too). Last question, are the white marks from MedLite? Have they disappeared?
Sorry I just saw this message now! I definitely noticed more scabbing and longer healing times with the MedLite. I had quite a bit of redness after my Tattx treatments except the last one. (Because I believe they turned the laser down). I don't know what my setting were with the MedLite because they wouldn't tell me.I switched to Tattx because I read it is much less damaging to your skin with less chance of scarring. Yes, I had Steph for my first 3 of 4 Tattx treatments but she is no longer there which is why I have not went back for another treatment yet. I have been trying to get a hold of the clinic the past couple weeks to mention my concerns with my last treatment but they are impossible to get through to. I had a lot of white spots (hypopigmentation) before getting the tattoo - the reason I originally got it actually. I know I mentioned some spots looking white / grey after my 8th treatment - they don't look as white now - maybe that is just part of the fading. Its hard to tell if I have any scarring or hyper/hypo pigmentation from removal because my back just looks like such a mess right now with a half faded tattoo and previous hypopigmentation. I really hope I don't. It's been almost 6 months since my last treatment and I haven't really noticed much additional fading :(. I would love to see your progress with Tattx - do you have a review posted?

Hi :) Wondering how you are making out with your treatments, it's been awhile since you updated and I know you were feeling a little discouraged. Have you noticed any additional fading?

Finally scheduled my 10th session!

Well it has been about 6 months since I have posted so I figured I should post an update. I have posted a recent picture. Keep in mind that the picture makes the tattoo look more faded then it actually is. I also made a side by side comparison of before any treatments and the most recent picture. I haven't had any more treatments since my last one in July but I have finally scheduled one for a couple weeks from now. I was hoping if I took a break I would notice a lot more fading. I'm hoping this next treatment will make a big difference. Has anyone else taken a long break from treatments? Did you notice better fading on your next laser session after taking a break?
Such a long process but hoping it is worth it in the end. :( Still a long ways to go and hoping a full removal is possible.

Your fading is amazing. Take a break from the laser sessions obviously did some good. I am also taking a break. MY last session was in Sept 2013, it was my tenth (I was having R20 after session #2) and waiting until next Summer. The location of your tattoo also has done you an advantage. The closer to the center of your body, the more favourable results. Even if the photo doesn't show the true fading, you mentioned it doesn't look as faded in real life, the results are amazing. Maybe it's the TATTX, maybe it's the location, maybe it's the ink, whatever it is, the fading is stunning. Good luck and thanks for sharing. It gives me hope. aloha...k
Hi, Ive started removal on a few tattoos (one especially solid bold and black) and have had positive results with the Medilite 6. Have you been happy with your choice to switch to a place that uses a different laser? I feel a lot of the results can vary greatly depending on the skill of the technician as well. I initially talked to SO many different tattoo removal places as well as doing my own research online and finally came across a place I trusted enough to proceed. The amount of information out there is unbelievable and everyone has a different opinion on what works best, forgetting that there will always be a varied result to some degree. Its been enlightening reading through all of your posts as well as comments left by other people. Keep it up, it'll be worth it. I have found that using 99% aloe gel on the areas 24-48 hours post treatment really helps healing and potential of scarring. I have been using it religiously a couple times a day on the areas treated (thigh, stomach, ankle). The niacinamide it provides (B vitamin) is extraordinary for healing. Good luck! Looks like youre almost there.
Seriously - wow!!! Looks great, thank you for doing the picture update Yes I have taken a break Blackberry11  My last session was September and I have noticed it continues to fade. I am thinking about another treatment soon. Are you noticing any scarring? Best of luck on you next treatment- you are going to have amazing results!

10th treatment

I went in for my 10th session yesterday. It was quite painful. The clinic I go to doesn't use numbing cream - only ice packs. But they left the ice packs on a little longer then usual yesterday so I think that helped a bit. My back is quite red today. The area is quite raised and it looks like I have some small blisters. I do notice some spots that are looking grey/white. Not sure if this is just reaction from the laser being turned up or if this is a sign of scarring. I hope not. They said last time I was treated at 6.5 - Yesterday they turned it up to 8.5. I have posted a photo taken about 24hrs after the treatment. All the ointment makes it kind of hard to see. I asked the clinic to send me my before and immediately after picture so when I get those I will post them.

Hey there, just checking in to see how your fading was from treatment 10? Would love an update! Hope you are well :)

Hi! Thanks for checking in! I am doing well thanks! I definitely have my days where I am quite discouraged that I still have this thing. I haven't had any more treatments since my 10th. I haven't noticed much additional fading. This is definitely a slow process. I don't have any recent pictures to post since it's so hard to take pictures of my own back lol. Your cover up is looking great so far. So happy for you that you are almost done with this whole process. It seems like most people get to a certain point and end up getting a coverup so I haven't seen many reviews showing complete removal, if any, so that is quite discouraging since I decided a coverup is not an option for me. Hopefully I will be going for treatment 11 in the next few weeks so I will post an update after that!
I'm also in Toronto and am in the process of removing a tattoo, would you be ok to mention the names of the two clinics you have been to? Your fading looks amazing! I'm seeing alright results with the clinic I'm with now and am looking for a second opinion.

Quick Update!

Not much to update on right now. I haven't had any additional treatments since middle of February. I haven't noticed too much fading since then either. It's hard to tell though just looking at my back. I usually notice it more when comparing pictures so hopefully after my next session I will have to pictures to post.

I think I am going to go for another session within the next month and then maybe take the summer off and maybe go tanning to help fade it a bit. I'm hoping if I am tanned the tattoo with not be so noticeable and maybe blend in more with my skin. It's so hard to hide it during summer and hard to find clothes that cover. Any thoughts on this? Will tanning make a tattoo more or less noticeable? Hope everyone is doing well and having luck with removal! :)

Good to hear from you! It really is a very long process, however being that yours is all black don't give up, I really feel with time you will achieve full removal. I always think of this girl (whom wasn't thrilled with her removal, but I think it's amazing) http://www.realself.com/review/san-jose-ca-tattoo-removal-left-ghost-tattoo

It's hard to notice small changes in your own tattoo, I didn't realize just how faded mine was until I started the cover up. I know the black would have, and almost was all gone, but the color was a struggle that I wasn't willing to do more battle with. I am comfortable having tattoos, and knew in the down the road I would get one, so thought - why not start now. I didn't want any further scarring and really found the laser treatments hard to deal with. I am feeling pretty happy.

Keep us posted on your next steps, and if you can get someone to take a photo of your back and then maybe do a side by side (we can do it for you if you send me the new pic) would love for you to post.

Cheers to tattoo removal ;)

Treatment 11

Just giving everyone an update! I went in for my 11th treatment today and the technician said she turned the laser up even more. She also did 2 passes on the very top of the tattoo that sticks out of my clothes. Normally I am worried after each session about how bad it looks and freak out a bit thinking it looks horrible and like I am going to scar... I just finished taking off the bandages and I have to say today is the most worried I have been. The whole thing is quite red, raised, and scabbed over. It is the two outer flowers that are worrying me the most. I have never bled this much after a treatment and the two outer ones look like open wounds. Hopefully this is normal and everything heals okay. I never received pictures from the clinic from my last session so I asked again today for them to send them to me so when they do I will post those as well. I think this is going to be my last treatment for a while until fall and I will just let it heal. This picture was taken right after removing the bandage (about 8 hours after treatment).

Thanks for the update! As the laser is turned up the treatment becomes more aggressive, especially when it involves multiple passes, keep a close eye on it during healing but everything up to this point, in my opinion, sounds perfectly normal. I had feelings of worry as well after my more aggressive treatments, but everything healed just fine, and any redness subsided as the months past. I have a feeling you will see wonderful results, look forward to updates :)
It is great to hear from you, I've been thinking about you. I understand that you're worried about the redness, it might be expected with the laser being turned up and two passes. Is it possible that the weather where you are can be affecting it also? I lived in Toronto many years ago, and it was hot sometimes. Keep it moisturized, protected by sun, keep hydrated and give it a few days. If it doesn't improve, or you're still concerned, consult with your professional. They'll have answers.

5 days after treatment 11

Still quite a few scabs and raised areas but it's looking better. Hopefully everything heals well with no scarring. Here is another picture.

Wow!! Palmtree16, your fading is amazing! You are having such great success. Just think 15 months ago you were starting and now look. So wonderful to have such a success story on here. It gives a lot of people hope and encouragement to continue. This whole process can be so heart-wrenching, depressing, and frustrating. With patience and perseverance you have pulled through. If you're going for a cover up, you don't have much farther to go, if any really. If you're looking for removal, you are definitely on the way. Great! aloha...k
Thank you! Yes, it has definitely come a long way since I started removal. However, I wish I only started 15 months ago! lol I guess I never really mentioned when I actually started the removal but it was in 2011 only months after getting the tattoo. I just didn't start my review until last year. I am definitely not going for a cover up. I am hoping for full removal but I'm not sure how possible that is. It seems like fading is getting less and less with each treatment and with each treatment it is getting more damaging and I am noticing more scarring. Thanks for your positive comments! :) It looks like you are also getting close with your removal! Hope everything is going well!
It oesn't matter how long it takes, removal is the best. Sorry to hear about the scarring. Blackberry11/Eva G talks about Tepezcohuite Cream that she says has helped her with scarring after removal and other skin issues. It would be worth a try. I use silicone scar sheets and they help smooth things out. I have the cream in my Amazon cart though ready for the next session. As for me...well the latest photos posted were a fluke with the lighting. A friend who is a professional photographer snapped those in the afternoon light. I have another photo of my hand in the evening light and the ink is almost gone. But in reality, it is still there. Sigh...sigh...sigh...I will continue with full removal and even if it takes years, that's okay, at least I'm doing something about it. I keep plodding along, hoping for the best, at least I'm in control of some aspect of this whole process. aloha...k

2 weeks after treatment 11

Just thought I would post a picture to update everyone. Keep in mind the picture shows it more faded then it actually is. I definitely have some more scarring after this treatment. I also have quite a few spots where the white ink has oxidized and looks grey/green. Hopefully that fades within time. Does anyone know how long I should wait after treatments before allowing myself to get any sun? I'm afraid if I am out in the sun too early I might risk scarring or pigmentation problems even more. Also what has everyone experienced with tanning and their tattoo? I thought getting a tan may help to hide it a bit for the summer (it shows out of my tops sometimes) but one of the technicians said having a tan may make the tattoo more visible/ darker. Thoughts?

Side by side after treatments 9 & 11

I would recommend not tanning your back area at all right now. Your fading is really great! Do you know how many treatments you have left?
Thanks! It has come a long way since I first got the tattoo that is for sure. Why do you suggest that I avoid tanning and for how long? Just curious how the sun will affect it. I have been avoiding the sun for years now because of removal but I have decided I am probably going to take a break from treatments until fall or winter. I'm not really sure how many treatments I will have left. I believe it was my 6th treatment that they said I would only need 3 - 4 more but here I am 5 treatments later and still a long ways to go lol. As much as I can't wait for this thing to be gone (hopefully full removal is possible) I wouldn't be surprised if I still had at least a couple more years of treatments to go. It is such a slow process and fading is getting less and less with each treatment. I will just have to wait and see I guess!
I am also curious why to avoid sun if you are taking a break and won't have any treatments until fall. Probably you can limit the amount of the sun. Have you checked this with your doctor? Would be interested to know this information. I checked with mine as I am going to Cyprus and I asked him if I can tan, he said yes, but after that I should wait 4-5 weeks before heading to my next treatment. Other tattoo removal guys told me that it is good to tan as tattoo can fade by its own, but I asked them before having any treatment.