Upper Blepharoplasty - Toronto, ON

Im 47 years old and have been thinking about...

Im 47 years old and have been thinking about having my eyelids done since I was about 30. I've always had excess skin on my eyelids....it runs in my family. So I finally decided to go ahead with it and I had my procedure yesterday. Even though I had thought about doing it for so many years, when the day finally came, I was soooo nervous. I thought about backing out right up to the final moment....I contemplated calling the doctor and telling him that I was sick or that I was in a car accident...I was even willing to break my own finger, just to get out of it!! But I knew if I backed out now,
I would regret it. Its normal to be nervous, I just had to have trust in the doctor I had chosen. So once I had my final discussion with the doctor and they took their pictures, They got me settled in the OR and gave me an Ativan to relax me because I was going to be awake for the procedure. Once that kicked in, the doc injected the local freezing which did not hurt at all. Once frozen, he begun....weird sensation knowing that someone is cutting away your skin and you can't even feel it! The procedure did not take very long at all and it was nice to be part of the conversation while the work was going on.
The swelling and redness began right away, but no pain.
Iced my eyes a lot, slept sitting in a recliner chair that I borrowed from a friend. That has been the only real uncomfortable part of all of this so far.
I'm not very pleasant to look at right now, but hopefully in a few days that will start to change.

Before and after

More photos

More photos

Day 6

It's already six days post op! Last night was the first night that I slept a little less elevated than I have been. Eyelids are itchy and feeling a little heavy. I see the doctor tomorrow and am looking forward to hear what he has to say about the progress. I can't wait to be able to slap on some eyeliner and mascara to get a real feel of the finished product. :)

Day 13

My camera is on the fritz so I haven't been able to take pictures lately :(
But, everything is progressing nicely. My eyelids feel a little tight and I'm a little concerned about the numbness on my lids, but I guess it's still soon after the surgery and that's expected. I went out yesterday with full makeup on and I found myself feeling a little self conscious about whether people could see the scars or not.
Toronto Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Sproule and his staff are excellent. During my initial consult with him, he made me very comfortable and encouraged me to ask as many questions as I needed. He had several patients waiting in his office but not once did he make me feel rushed. Even the day of the surgery, he took his time to go over anything that I was unclear about. I'm certain I delayed his other procedures for the day, because of how much time he spent with me.