Chin Implant- So Glad I Did It!!(26 YO Female - Toronto, ON)

I originally had no intentions of posting my own...

I originally had no intentions of posting my own procedure but was asked by another user to submit and since I found Real Self so helpful in my decision, I am going to post my experience and results.

I have always been somewhat introverted about my profile; aside from having my father's nose, I had a pretty receded chin and hated to be viewed from the side or have my photo taken from that angle. When I am at my ideal weight (which is rare! haha), it doesn't bother me as much, but whenever I would put on a few pounds, It all went straight to my face and I would instantly have a double chin- just looking down would cause it. One day I decided to look into chin augmentation and realized that the quick recovery time and subtle change really appealed to me. I am also getting married next summer so I thought this year would be idea.

I searched online for a surgeon and looked at many, many reviews in the GTA. I came across Dr. Lawrence Tong, who I saw quite a few people called a "perfectionist" ( to me that is an ideal quality in a plastic surgeon). I had a consultation which was very helpful- he laid everything out for me, showed me the implants, gave me his feedback on which size and I felt no pressure one way or the other. When I left I was fairly sure I wanted to do it but not 100%. After thinking about it, I decided to go ahead and also came back for another consultation. I decided to go with the under chin incision as the idea of a small scar was not an issue for me and the healing time was considered much faster. I wanted to be back at work within a week or so and also there is less risk for nerve damage. We also decided on the XL implant with wings.

RESULTS:
I had my procedure done on November 14th. I elected for "twilight" anaesthesia simply because of the price difference. I was told I may wake during the procedure and at that point would be given more but would feel no pain. Surprisingly I never dozed off and was very aware the entire time- however, I can only remember feeling really good. There was no pain and I could hear the Doctor which was surreal. There was one moment where I felt pain in my teeth and made noise and I was quickly given more anaesthesia. To be honest, I was completely ok with the twilight and would do it again. When I was moved into recovery I fell asleep and awoke a few hours later. I was very emotional and cried for no reason but the nurses were wonderful. Dr. Tong even came and saw me before I left which was nice as he applied more bandages because I was so swollen.

I would say I am about 99% healed at this point. I only needed the pain medication for 4 days and afterwards was fine without it. The swelling for the first week was significant and really quite scary. My chin was very square and enlarged and very intense but I knew from other reviews and my surgeon that this was to be expected. After some time, the swelling subsided and at a week I had my bandages removed. I was more nervous after the bandages were removed because I thought my chin was too square and masculine, however, the swelling continued to decrease daily and I think is pretty much done. I think a large part of it is also that your face is different, however slight, and seeing yourself differently after years of looking in the mirror simply takes getting used to.

I am posting before and afters- please be kind! I had no intention of posting photos and these were taken for comparison by me. The befores were done last minute before I left the day before surgery. PLEASE ask any and all questions and I will be happy to share!

Side photo exactly one month post op

Front photo 1 month post op

Slightly Unhappy with Front View of my chin

I have just returned from a Holiday where I took a lot of photos. I am a little bit upset about the results of the photos as the front view of my face is not quite as feminine as I would like. From the side, the results are what I had wanted but from the front I find that my chin is more square than I would like. I am not sure if trimming the wings more would have resulted in more of the aesthetic I would have liked or if it is just me adjusting to my new face. Before my chin implant, when I would smile I would get more of a feminine, pointed chin whereas now it almost widens my face. However, I am hoping that in a few months perhaps this will go away as the implant continues to adjust under my muscle. I think I will post again around the 6+ month mark and see how I feel then. I am not unhappy that I had the procedure done because overall, it is an improvement to my face, but I am slightly concerned about the change in my appearance when I smile.

Front View and Side View with a "Before"

Still struggling with the way my chin looks from the front. However, I am starting to think that if I lose some weight I will lose some of the largeness I am seeing in my face.
Toronto Plastic Surgeon

Do you know what size and style implant you have? I get a more square shapes chin over pointy now too. I was totally considering going and getting a diff one with flat wings.
Im not sure- I just know it was the XL size. Anything smaller would not have adjusted my profile enough so overall I'm happy :)
You look GORGEOUS!!! Love your side profile! I had chin implant surgery in 1992. So glad I did it! I am 38 now (I was 17 then!) :-)
Thank you!
I think you're being a little hard on yourself. I think the "after" looks great, looking at the side view pics and the front view pics. Maybe it's just not what you're used to that it may take some time. . overall I would say you got an excellent result.
Thanks-the side view is definitely an improvement for sure and you are right, I think I am just going to take some time to adjust to my new face :) Overall still happy I did it though.
You really look fantastic! I have a consultation tomorrow and it's reassuring to see some inspiring after pics and read about a positive experience of the procedure. My face is quite similar in shape to yours so I'm hoping I can achieve the same sort of result..
Thank you so much! I am really, really happy with my profile overall which is why I had the surgery in the first place. It can be hard to be positive when you see a new reflection and cannot get used to it but I am trying to be 100% positive. No matter what it is an improvement and that's what I need to focus on. I hope you get the results you want...It is really not a painful recovery or surgery and it makes a pretty big difference. Good luck to you!!!!
Glad you are being positive. The front has changed a slight bit but not for worse, just different. However, the profile is utterly fantastic. I hear your apprehension because something you liked has changed a little. That can be tough to cope with. Just know that from an outside perspective, I see the change but think it still looks good. :)
Great new pics! You look beautiful!
Do you have a front view photo of you smiling that you can post? I think you look great from what I've seen.
Thanks for sharing your experience! You look great. The surgeon has done a fantastic job. You must be so pleased :)
I looked at your pictures several times because I would like to have this procedure done too. You look natural and it balances your features. I am just curious if it feels different to you or does it feel foreign in any way? You got excellent results judging by your pictures. I'm glad you are doing so well!
It is now feeling very natural to me. For the first 3 weeks it is very awkward because I had my attention on it all the time and it really felt foreign. Now I don't think about it at all and it just feels like a regular part of my body. It was also kind of number at first on the left hand side when I would touch it which has gone away and now when I touch it it doesn't feel like an implant, just like my chin :)
You look terrific. Your doc did a great job!
Thank you soooo much for sharing. I think it looks great. The positive stories are just as important as the negatives ones. Thank you for this.
Thank you for sharing. Looks great!
Your chin looks good.
Thank you so much for sharing. This is such an amazing community. I have a question. How obvious is your scar 1 month post op? Would you be willing to share a photo? I, like you, want a subtle change and don't want people to notice a drastic change. How long till you felt comfortable going out, seeing family, etc.?
Hi there. The scar is not overly noticeable but still a bit red. I wear foundation though and when I do, it is completely gone. I know scars can take upwards of a year to heal and fade so I am not worried about it. I am really short too so it is highly unlikely anyone would really notice. I saw only my mom and fiancé for the first 7 days, however, I also went out in public and wore a big infinity scarf so it really wasn't overly noticeable. I was back to work within 10 days and no one has said anything. I was only really comfortable though around the third week when I didn't feel so swollen- being out and laughing/talking makes it kind of uncomfortable and around week 3 this subsides ( for me it did- I know some take a little longer to heal) :)
Hey! You look great. I was wondering what kind of implant you got. Did you get silastic or medpor? Also how did people react to your change? Could they notice?
hi there, to be honest I am not sure. I just know the size was XL and had the wings which were shaved down significantly. Not one person has said anything so I know it is subtle to most- I was very nervous people would see the difference right away as I didn't want to look "different"- just a better me but I had nothing to worry about after all
You look great!!! Very good results!!!

Oh my gosh, wonderful results!!! I'm always amazed at the drastic change a chin implant can make. Do you know what size implant you got?

Thank you so much for sharing here. I really appreciate your paying it forward and I know others will too. You look beautiful!

Thanks so much! I am very happy with the results. Not one person has noticed and to be honest- that is wonderful to me. I absolutely see the difference and while subtle is a huge deal to me. I got an Xl with wings.