Chin Implant- So Glad I Did It!!(26 YO Female - Toronto, ON)

I originally had no intentions of posting my own...

I originally had no intentions of posting my own procedure but was asked by another user to submit and since I found Real Self so helpful in my decision, I am going to post my experience and results.

I have always been somewhat introverted about my profile; aside from having my father's nose, I had a pretty receded chin and hated to be viewed from the side or have my photo taken from that angle. When I am at my ideal weight (which is rare! haha), it doesn't bother me as much, but whenever I would put on a few pounds, It all went straight to my face and I would instantly have a double chin- just looking down would cause it. One day I decided to look into chin augmentation and realized that the quick recovery time and subtle change really appealed to me. I am also getting married next summer so I thought this year would be idea.

I searched online for a surgeon and looked at many, many reviews in the GTA. I came across Dr. Lawrence Tong, who I saw quite a few people called a "perfectionist" ( to me that is an ideal quality in a plastic surgeon). I had a consultation which was very helpful- he laid everything out for me, showed me the implants, gave me his feedback on which size and I felt no pressure one way or the other. When I left I was fairly sure I wanted to do it but not 100%. After thinking about it, I decided to go ahead and also came back for another consultation. I decided to go with the under chin incision as the idea of a small scar was not an issue for me and the healing time was considered much faster. I wanted to be back at work within a week or so and also there is less risk for nerve damage. We also decided on the XL implant with wings.

RESULTS:
I had my procedure done on November 14th. I elected for "twilight" anaesthesia simply because of the price difference. I was told I may wake during the procedure and at that point would be given more but would feel no pain. Surprisingly I never dozed off and was very aware the entire time- however, I can only remember feeling really good. There was no pain and I could hear the Doctor which was surreal. There was one moment where I felt pain in my teeth and made noise and I was quickly given more anaesthesia. To be honest, I was completely ok with the twilight and would do it again. When I was moved into recovery I fell asleep and awoke a few hours later. I was very emotional and cried for no reason but the nurses were wonderful. Dr. Tong even came and saw me before I left which was nice as he applied more bandages because I was so swollen.

I would say I am about 99% healed at this point. I only needed the pain medication for 4 days and afterwards was fine without it. The swelling for the first week was significant and really quite scary. My chin was very square and enlarged and very intense but I knew from other reviews and my surgeon that this was to be expected. After some time, the swelling subsided and at a week I had my bandages removed. I was more nervous after the bandages were removed because I thought my chin was too square and masculine, however, the swelling continued to decrease daily and I think is pretty much done. I think a large part of it is also that your face is different, however slight, and seeing yourself differently after years of looking in the mirror simply takes getting used to.

I am posting before and afters- please be kind! I had no intention of posting photos and these were taken for comparison by me. The befores were done last minute before I left the day before surgery. PLEASE ask any and all questions and I will be happy to share!

Hey! You look great. I was wondering what kind of implant you got. Did you get silastic or medpor? Also how did people react to your change? Could they notice?
You look great!!! Very good results!!!

Oh my gosh, wonderful results!!! I'm always amazed at the drastic change a chin implant can make. Do you know what size implant you got?

Thank you so much for sharing here. I really appreciate your paying it forward and I know others will too. You look beautiful!

Side photo exactly one month post op

hi there, to be honest I am not sure. I just know the size was XL and had the wings which were shaved down significantly. Not one person has said anything so I know it is subtle to most- I was very nervous people would see the difference right away as I didn't want to look "different"- just a better me but I had nothing to worry about after all

Front photo 1 month post op

Thanks for sharing your experience! You look great. The surgeon has done a fantastic job. You must be so pleased :)
I looked at your pictures several times because I would like to have this procedure done too. You look natural and it balances your features. I am just curious if it feels different to you or does it feel foreign in any way? You got excellent results judging by your pictures. I'm glad you are doing so well!
It is now feeling very natural to me. For the first 3 weeks it is very awkward because I had my attention on it all the time and it really felt foreign. Now I don't think about it at all and it just feels like a regular part of my body. It was also kind of number at first on the left hand side when I would touch it which has gone away and now when I touch it it doesn't feel like an implant, just like my chin :)

Slightly Unhappy with Front View of my chin

I have just returned from a Holiday where I took a lot of photos. I am a little bit upset about the results of the photos as the front view of my face is not quite as feminine as I would like. From the side, the results are what I had wanted but from the front I find that my chin is more square than I would like. I am not sure if trimming the wings more would have resulted in more of the aesthetic I would have liked or if it is just me adjusting to my new face. Before my chin implant, when I would smile I would get more of a feminine, pointed chin whereas now it almost widens my face. However, I am hoping that in a few months perhaps this will go away as the implant continues to adjust under my muscle. I think I will post again around the 6+ month mark and see how I feel then. I am not unhappy that I had the procedure done because overall, it is an improvement to my face, but I am slightly concerned about the change in my appearance when I smile.

Do you have a front view photo of you smiling that you can post? I think you look great from what I've seen.

Front View and Side View with a "Before"

Still struggling with the way my chin looks from the front. However, I am starting to think that if I lose some weight I will lose some of the largeness I am seeing in my face.

Great results!
honestly hun, you look fab. You are comparing before and after too much, you have a great new chin that looks great! love the new you! :) x

Approximately 8 months post op

I am now pretty comfortable with the way my face looks. In some photos, my chin looks a little bit more square or masculine than I would like, but before the surgery I hated ANY profile shots so it is a good trade off and my jaw is definitely more defined with the implant which is definitely pleasing. I think there are other types of chin implants that perhaps would have been better suited to my small face but not a lot I can do about that now! I am getting married in 4 weeks and have lost a few pounds and feel that this has helped with the look of the implant. When my face is a bit more full there is a bit of fat that gathers at each end of the implant that isn't particularly pleasing.

Overall I had a wonderful experience, very little pain or discomfort and quick healing time. It really is true that it takes a lot of time to adjust to the difference- months to be honest! Happy now with the results :)

Thank you for sharing your story May_Baby. I too am having similar issues that you've had where the smile has changed. You shared that it took roughly 4 months before everything started to settle in. My smile used to have a pointy chin and now that I'm 6 weeks out my smile looks different + a wider chin when I am. Did you feel your smile improved from 2-8 months ou?
You look stunning! I wish there was more before pictures... :) I'm getting mine done in March.
Toronto Plastic Surgeon