Post Menopause Mini TT - Toronto, ON

My expectations are to remove the fat layer that I...

My expectations are to remove the fat layer that I have carried all my life in my lower abdomen, despite exercising 4-6 times a week (cardio, some weights, yoga, planks, etc). In addition, I hope to say goodbye to the fat which has accumulated on my abdomen since menopause which began when I was 46. I am not telling anyone about this and am trying to figure out how to keep it a secret. Only my husband knows and he is very supportive.

May 2014 pre-op

Toronto Plastic Surgeon

can you post some updated pics?
Good luck with your surgery tomorrow! Hope it all works out for you.
I am wondering if I should have asked doc for lipo on flanks. I see lots of people have done this. What do people say about that?
My opinion is that depending on how much of a change your TT makes to that area, lipo on the flanks can give you the proper contours again. I don't know much about the mini. If you ask the Dr's here on RS a question they get back to you pretty quick. You would have to put up some photos that reveal that area of you better though. I know its hard to do but well worth it. I couldn't even bring myself to take the two I did before my TT. I wish now I had taken more because the transformation is unbelievable and you can't tell from my photos just how deformed my tummy really was. You'll be glad you did, believe me. I asked the Dr's here a question and got several responses really quickly and they are really honest with their opinions and have nothing to gain from it except helping you.
I had lipo of my flanks and hips first time around when I had a mini tummy tuck and it made a huge difference! I also had lipo to my upper abs which resulted in somewhat dimply looking skin as my upper abdominal skin has poor elasticity. As I understand it, the more elastic your skin is, the better your results from lipo. For me my upper abdomen became flatter but looser and my muffin top became more of a jelly roll hence the needed revision to tighten it all up sufficiently. Good luck!
Tomorrow 8:30....big day.
Hi there, I'm glad to hear your husband is supportive! It is a pretty huge operation. and although you are having a mini it is still a big recovery, which is so important to do properly so that you avoid complications. Are you having your muscle layer repaired too? I cannot possibly imagine keeping my recovery a secret and keeping it secret might cause you to get up and do too much and compromise your healing. Many women go through what you are most likely experiencing, which is fear of judgement and people telling you that exercise will suffice. They have no idea, they never will. Read lots of reviews the whole way through and listen to what the women say about how difficult and unexpectedly draining the recovery is. You do have great skin integrity still on your tummy looking at your photos, so perhaps having the mini is the best for you. I wish you the best of luck and support for the new, repaired you. x
I will post next week on my recovery. I just am not looking forward to the down time. I am very active and will miss my running and spin classes. However I will spend the first week at the beach looking at the Ocean.
I am not having muscle repair so apparently it won't hurt as much. Thx so much for your supportive comments. I am thinking I can keep things secret b/c I am going to a relative's cottage for week two and maybe some of week three. Glad skin integrity is good. Hope a mini is enough!
You shouldn't have any trouble keeping this a secret. I have a large group of friends and they didn't seem to be question my comments about "my back hurting for no apparent reason". People tend to be judgemental and unless they have experienced the "too much belly syndrome" they just don't understand why we have this surgery!
Do your research! Go for the FULL TT or, like me you might need to convert to a full TT later!
I have had issues with prolapse so a full TT is a bad idea for my body. But I appreciate your input.
I just thought I'd mention it because your body shape is similar to mine (before my first TT). I don't understand the relationship of prolapse to TT and why a full TT would be a bad idea but whatever you decide I hope it will get you the results that you desire. Good luck!!
Just an FYI for anybody else with prolapse. It's important to avoid increasing intra-abdominal pressure on pelvic organs in order to prevent prolapse from getting worse. A full TT would definitely do that.
Yup, I looked that up and you're right you don't want any increased pressure on you pelvic organs. Some women get their prolapsed parts fixed (uterus or bladder) and get their tummy tuck afterwards.
True...however, those bladder prolapse surgeries often need to be redonei n 5-10'years. My gyne tells me that am too young to start those surgeries, and other measures are helping.
Better listen to your gynaecologist. If other measures are helping, that's great. I just hope you get great results from a mini tuck. I did too, just not OPTIMAL results.
This is a one time event for me. I may be nuts!!!
I hope you're right about it being a one time event for you! That's what I thought too when I had my first TT. Never would have dreamed of having a second one! But hey, I wanted to have optimal results and I got them. Not 100% perfection but 95% for sure and that's good enough for me! You're NOT nuts (although some people who don't have these excess bulge/loose skin issues themselves might think so). Good luck!!
Thank you for starting your review on RealSelf.

It does get frustrating when you work your butt off in the gym and the tummy won't budge!   Been there and done that.  If anyone asks what you are having done just tell them hernia surgery.  Nobody needs to know any more than you want them too.

The next few weeks are going to go fast.
That is what I am telling everyone who needs to know...hernia surgery. I am scheduled Friday 13, 2014. I work out cardio, weights 6 days a week had the lose tummy 47 years. Couldn't afford the time or money before. I may be nuts as I am 70years old in good shape.
Good for you for doing this for yourself!! You're not the first one and won't be the last person to get tucked at 70! One of my friends did and she has no regrets!
Made it. Procedure at 8:30, home by 3:00: muscle repair, skin removal. Hernia repair, Lipo for fat and muffin top removal. Can't believe how great I feel I am in excellent health legs are strong so when I get up or potty I use my. Legs, with no bending. I have a drain. Told to take pain pills for at least 2 days not as needed. I will do.Stool softer I started when I got home, that scares (me to go.) I am in Charleston SC, had a face life here in December these Drs and staff are wonderful. Dr Louise Costa ( face) Dana Heigas)) tummy. More tomorrow.
Glad to hear you are doing well:)
Keep on top of the stool softener and you should not have any issues.
Feeling Good so far. Love those pain pills. Getting a little sore today. Comfortable while sitting or laying down. Slept well last night, and. Napping a lot today.