Asymmetry; Lift + 425cc Saline augmentation - Toronto, ON

I am a 24 year old student, no children or weight...

I am a 24 year old student, no children or weight fluctuations, who has been saving for this for years. I've been the same size and shape since I was 14 (34C), and the asymmetry and large areola size have been extremely upsetting for me. I'm supposed to be in the prime of my life, and I've never had a chest I could be even somewhat okay with. I don't mind the look of my breasts in a bra, but when I get undressed to take a shower, I don't want to run past the mirror to make sure I can't see myself naked anymore. It has definitely hindered me in relationships and also personal life satisfaction, so it's time to do something about it.

After consulting with 3 surgeons I decided to book my surgery with Dr. Jugenburg in the end of July. The actual size of my breasts is fine for me, but if I only got a lift, I would still be asymmetrical as my right breast (the pictures are taken reversely) is approximately 75cc's larger than the left. My breasts are also very bottom-heavy, so I was told implants will also give me upper pole roundness/shape (thoughts anyone?) Two of the surgeons I consulted with recommended a reduction in the larger R breast before the lift/implants, so I will be getting a R breast reduction (to match the left), a lollipop incision lift on both breasts, and saline implants on both breasts.

I went back and forth on saline vs. silicone, and decided on saline. I was told that since I have a lot of breast tissue/thick skin already, I won't be able to feel the implants anyway by touch and rippling shouldn't show through as much. Cost was a big factor for me as well. But overall I just remind myself that the closest to breast symmetry is my main goal, and saline allows him to try to match them as much as possible in the operating room. Picking 2 different sized implants if I wanted silicone scares the crap out of me. I hope I made the right decision!

I am terrified of doing a lift and augmentation at the same time. I understand they are two opposing forces, and I've seen some horror stories of healing after doing both at the same time. If I had the money and time to do them separately, I most certainly would, but it is not an option for me. If anyone has undergone both procedures together, any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Also, I have NO idea what size to pick for the implants. I'm actually fond of naturally small, perky boobs, but I've never had those and I think they'd look odd on my shape. So I'm opting for going bigger, hoping to get some of that upper-pole roundness (thoughts?). Without the sag I don't mind the size of my R breast, but as it will be reduced I need to try to guess what size is right to make me just a little bigger than my natural R breast size. I know the lift will also affect the shape/size as well, and I know they look smaller once they're in. For a long time I was just going to get a R reduction and lift, but I would still dislike the shape of my breast so for the extra couple thousand dollars I think implants are worth it in hopes of rounder shape. But I also need to consider that the bigger the implant, the more it'll affect my lift/healing/areola which is my primary concern so I'm tempted to go smaller... I have went to 2 sizing appointments at different clinics, and I'm all over the place. I'm thinking somewhere between 300-350cc moderate to moderate-high profile, but I don't know what will give me the closest to the wish pic? I honestly have no clue and would appreciate any input! (I have my final sizing appointment 2 weeks before my surgery, so I'll need to decide by then!)

I'll update after that appointment, but overall I'm super nervous. I'm not familiar with anyone who's had cosmetic surgery before, and the internet is only so helpful. Any insight is appreciated :)

Sizing appointment

Went for another sizing appointment, decided on 425cc (ish) high profile in both breasts since the R breast will be reduced to match the size of the L breast. Still happy with the saline decision so he can have most control over trying to reduce asymmetry in the OR. I'm nervous they may look too big or protrude too far, but I have wide shoulders and hips so I think it'll balance out? But I'm only 5'2. Also the base of the HP at that size is actually quite wide and seems to fit my frame, so fingers crossed!

Operation day/Day 1

I'm so grateful I got an early appointment (arrival 7:30, surgery 9:30am). The hotel did not have a room available until 2pm - have the person staying with you BE PERSISTENT! I managed to somehow get a room before the person who's surgery was before mine, and I'm sure it had something to do with the fact that the person I was staying with sat in the lobby for 6 hours watching them, and checked in all the time to ask about a room.

If any of you are looking for a play-by-play, here's how pre-op went:
-Kim double checks your medical information, takes weight and blood pressure, etc. She checked in on me and brought me a magazine since I had to wait alone for an hour which was nice; you are in good hands with this team.
-Dr. J re-takes two sets of photos, measurements, and draws his references on you
-I asked him if I could re-show him my wish pics just to remind him prior to surgery, and he said this is helpful, so I'd recommend having them on your phone or on your body when you go into pre-op. I told him I trusted him to pick a size proportionate to me in the OR, and reminded him that the lift and areola size were most important to me rather than the sizing, so any incisions he had to make to help me reach my main goals were fine.
-Met with the anesthesiologist, asked questions
-Went into the OR, met the nurses/assistant surgeon; strapped down, put on a drip, and sedated
-Procedure took approximately 2.5 hours (from what I remember), I was in recovery for about 45 minutes. They gave me percs and I threw them up immediately even though I hadn't been feeling nautious. They told me to start my antibiotics the next day instead of immediately back in the room because they didn't want me to throw them up. I threw up again once I got back into the hotel room; for the consideration of everyone, make sure to put the plastic laundry bag in the closet in the garbage can as they're not lined :)

Wheeled into the hotel room, luckily got 2 double beds (some people had to take a single king due to availability). I was pretty awake for a few hours after, no real pain (still coming off the drip), had some family visit me from out of town. It's amazing how everything changes within a few hours; by the evening the soreness came on, and I couldn't close the bathroom door on my own. I watched a few hours of TV and slept. I kept on top of my pain meds because it's easier to stay with them than to feel too much pain and try to catch up to it. I needed help from sitting to standing (have your supporter put their hand between your shoulderblades and push you up, not pull on your arms), and I couldn't close the bathroom door.

For Canadians out there, I wanted the donut-shaped ice packs for my breasts but surgery websites were charging $50 for them. All the reviews I read on this site were American and it seems like there's lots of places there that offered them, so I checked the same stores here. I checked Shoppers, Target, and Babies R Us pre-op and couldn't find anything - but then the Superstore! Seriously, go to the grocery store, they had a kit for $13.99 that has breast-shaped heat/cool packs and fabric casings so it doesn't stick to the skin, a bunch of underboob absorbant gauze pads, and then of course a journal and such intended for nursing mothers. There's no real research that shows icing does anything, but it's more of a comfort thing; my breasts are warm to the touch and I look forward to icing. I drank some ginger ale and ate a plain pretzel bagel which I kept down just fine, I'd recommend having crackers or pretzels or something easy in the room you can eat with your meds even if you don't feel that hungry.

I'm very sore but not really in pain, if that makes sense. My boobs are so swollen and warm but I really do love them so far! I'm so anxious to see the scars and size of my areola, but bandages can't come off until next week. I'm also excited for them to get softer and drop, because I was nervous that I have a wide sternum and I don't want them to look like two perfect circular balloons stuck to my chest and fake which they kinda do right now lol. But I know so much can change over the next 6 months. Of course one looks bigger than the other, they're high up and kind of square shaped, but seeing all the reviews and pics here helped me to expect all this :) That's why I wanted to pay it forward with my own, I hope this helps someone a little bit!

Day 3

The pain really set in last night and today. The first two days will deceive you and you'll think you're on the upswing, but give time for it to get worse before it gets better! My left breast has been burning on the side which I understand is normal, but it got to an unbearable point and I like to think I have a high pain tolerance. Any fabric, ice, air, anything touching it was perceived as heat in my body and it was extremely painful. I called the clinic and took an extra percocet. Though my right breast had 'more' work done to it (it was reduced, has more incisions from the lift, plus the implant), the left one is causing all of the pain. The left one has bruising all along the side of the breast, the right one is bruising underneath, some blood through the bandages but just spotting. Healing from breast surgery is certainly an interesting thing. Anyway I am excited for my appointment Tuesday to find out what they actually did during surgery (what incisions were necessary for the lift on each, and also cc's in each).

Day 8

I'm in the "don't panic, don't panic" stage. I've read so many reviews that I know I can't make any judgements until 6 months, but it's so hard not to! So I'm not going to allow myself to rant on here; I just need to let it go and be patient. My left breast is a lot bigger (which is so odd and scary for me, considering my asymmetry made my RIGHT breast bigger my whole life) and they're sitting differently, but that's to be expected at one week.

When I had spoken with him pre-op he had told me "matching scars" (lollipop) and I didn't want to go bigger than 425cc. I asked at my follow-up what happened and it turns out I have a lollipop on the right with 425ccs and and periareolar on the left with 480ccs (?!). I know people say there's no real difference between 50-100ccs, but there is obviously no truth to that logically; there was approximately 75-100ccs asymmetry between my breasts originally which is what made me want to get surgery in the first place! So like I said, I'm trying not to panic; trusting his judgement is part of the process... I'm really looking forward to them shrinking and settling.

I've had a rough few days; I was experiencing a lot of pain and burning, nausea, and vomiting, so I haven't been eating much which made things worse. I don't know why I was so surprised by that reaction, but I think things are looking up. I called Kim for advice when the pain was the worst a few days ago, and then called her again to ask for a couple more lorazepam since I think anxiety was playing a factor; one thing I really appreciated was that she didn't question my pain or need of the medicine, which when you're in that state is so helpful. Turns out the lorazepam wasn't effective after my first pill but I'm grateful I tried it anyway.

I went to my post-op yesterday and begged the nurse to take off the tape; I was having skin integrity issues, and have little blood blisters under the skin from where the tape was pulling so hard from the swelling. It was causing a lot of burning and pain that the double percocets and lorazepam weren't helping at all. Since its removal I actually slept for the solid 3 hours between pills for the first time! I don't want to compromise the healing, but I'll keep on top of my massages and the surgical bra never comes off so it should be okay. I'm to start gentle "massages" to move the implants around (not the skin). I nearly saw stars when he pushed them together to show me what to do - ouch! But it'll be worth it in the long run so I popped a T3 and have been very very slowly and gently doing what he told me to do, I don't want to irritate the incisions. Finished antibiotics today.

So my boobs are very large, sore, hard, and distal (outwards bumping into my arms), but I'm sure these things will improve with massaging and time! Optimism never hurts; I'm taking pictures of everything along the way so I can do comparisons down the line, the changes are pretty fascinating.

Pre pic

Wore 34C as best compromise bra (left breast was likely a B, right breast a full C that spilled out)

Day 16

I'm sleeping much better now. The surgical bra they provided did not fit me properly (design flaws of the bra itself; straps too big on me, rib elastic too right causing pain and skin issues), and got permission to switch to a sports bra that actually provides some shoulder support and doesn't cut into my skin. The response I received was great, Kim replied to me quickly about it.

They're softening with massage now, but still very hard. My right breast is still numb on the side that touches my arm, my left I have full feeling in. But overall I think things are going well! When I get caught up in little things I don't like about how they look right now I remind myself to be patient, and I look back at my post op pics... Then I love my boobs :) Follow up appointment next week, anxious to see the scars!
Toronto Plastic Surgeon

It seems like a small thing, but the fact that he showed me full attention when I was asking questions was why I chose him. I am now very confident in my choice, especially after meeting with 2 other surgeons. He also didn't try to convince me that there was nothing wrong with my left breast as another surgeon had done, so I didn't feel judged. It also seems like he is competent with breast lift techniques (vertical sling) and as this is my main concern, it appealed to me. I've had some administrative issues with the clinic that are concerning to me (no one replying to e-mails, when I've left messages or canceled appointments they have not called back or canceled as per my message, incorrect cost quotes, them being 1-3 hours late for EVERY appointment I've had so far), so it hasn't been the most professional experience on that side of things. Also at my last appointment Dr. J noticed that they had ordered silicone implants for me when I had never considered silicone due to cost, so I'm extremely lucky I had made another appointment just before surgery and he double-checked or I would have had to cancel my surgery the day of as I cannot postpone my time off. Ultimately everything worked out in the end, and I found it most important to trust the surgeon than anyone else in the office at any clinic. The rest of Dr.J's office is extremely kind and quick to rectify problems (Nora has been fantastic at replying promptly to e-mails), so they do have a great team who will make you feel comfortable.

My doctor had me take Percocet every 3 and half hours around the clock. I set an alarm to get up at night to take it. Maybe that is something you want to consider for next few days. I never felt pain at all.
How many percocet were you taking? I was taking one 5/325mg percocet every 4 hours on the dot, but unfortunately still experienced severe pain, so they suggested I take 2 every four hours. Last night I had extreme pain again, waited my 4 hours and took 2 and it wasn't enough, so I also took the apo-lorazepam an hour later and that helped put me to sleep. I need to call the clinic today to help figure out if it's the four hour gap that's getting me, if it's the type of med I'm on, or if I can get more lorazepam only for the nights when it's extreme (or if it was just a coincidence it helped me at that time since it isn't for pain per se).
I was taking one 5/325 Percocet but I also took it with another pill, Hydroxy-zine 25mg every 3 and half hours on the dot. I also was taking a muscle relaxer every 8 hours. Also make sure not to use your arms too much.
i cant believe how similar we are. i have asymmetric boobs as well. at my first consultation, he said i would need a lift and reduction in my bigger boob (R) and implants in both boobs. i cant wait too see how yours look in a couple months. i was very iffy on saline because i want them to look natural. im also most concerned with them looking symmetric so maybe saline would be the way to go. i am also concerned on the extra cost of silicone. ugh decisions, decisions! Goodluck and happy healing:)
Thank you, best of luck with your decisions, too :) I'll keep posting pictures if it helps! I'm told that if you have enough natural breast tissue beforehand and go under the muscle, saline do look quite natural. I was a B/C cup before surgery and even under the swelling I can tell a lot of it is my own fat, which I like :) It was the thought of trying to guess 2 different sized implants for silicone that turned me off of them; maybe if I weren't so asymmetric, but I'm comfortable with my saline decision so far because I trusted my PS to fill them appropriately.
Your pre-op pic looks just like me lol! Except my smaller one is about a small c and my bigger one is a big D. I can't wait to see how yours turn out!
Good luck on your journey!
I had both done. I love my results. On this site you can post your pic, and ask advice and Dr.s from all over with give you their opinion. It's very nice. It made me feel like I was making good choices for me. I mean...where else can you get mini consultations from Beverly Hills and Manhattan PS's for free?
I am 29 with asymmetry and weight gain due to medication side effects, when I was about 25 my only issue was asymmetry now I have to worry about reduction/lift and maybe implants. I have to do a whole new set of research and consult with surgeons the whole process is overwhelming sometimes I don't even know what questions to ask with this new journey. I am glad I read your story I don't feel so alone.
I just had a Lift, implants, reduction and more. Maybe my profile will help you out so here it is. http://www.realself.com/user/417993
I just had both a lift and implants during the same surgery. I am now about 6.5 weeks post op and just wanted to tell you that I had a wonderful experience. I believe it was a smart decision to have both done at the same time. Why go through 2 surgeries when you it can be done in 1. Anyhow, I took the advice of my doctor. My implants were fairly small at 286cc. These brought be from a 36B to a 36C. I haven't had any issues with healing. I think if you make smart decisions when it comes to choosing the implants that you will be okay. I wanted realistic looking breasts and that exactly what I got. You seem to be unsure of many things and I hope you chosen a doctor who will truly listen to you, answer you thoroughly and guide in the right direction. You are paying a lot of money and its not just for the surgery. You need guidance before and after the surgery so make sure you speak up. Best of luck!!!
Thank you so much for your reply! It seems like you had a really abnormally amazing experience, but these are also important to read as well as the horror stores haha :) Fingers crossed I have an experience like yours. Good to know that that cc size increased you one cup, it helps me imagine what 350 would do to me after the reduction (I'd probably stay around the same cup size but better shape, which I would be happy with). Thanks again!
I'm glad you found my info helpful. Although you aren't in my area, I highly suggest you visit my doctors website so you can at least see his approach to things or just for ideas. breastimplantslongisland.com