28 obese &Looking for onederland! - Tijuana, MX

I have been overweight for the past 5 years and...

I have been overweight for the past 5 years and obese for the past 3. I have tried everything from diets, diet pills, fasts, and exercise. I have no problem losing weight but it's being able to stick to a particular plan to have a long lasting effect. People constantly try to reassure me that my weight is not an issue. They claim that I'm "thick" not "fat". I enjoy amusement parks so the thing that opened my eyes to just how much weight I've gained was when i attempted to board a ride but I had to be excused because I simply didn't fit. At first I figured maybe that ride was just too small but then it happened again and yet again. I was completely humiliated and heartbroken. After that I vowed to lose weight. I have since been dieting but my yoyo dieting had taken a tool on my body so that is no longer as effective. One day I stumbled across this site and I started researching weight loss surgeries. I decided that the sleeve gastrectomy was the one for me. My date is currently set for October 15 2014. I am so excited! I would love to hear from some of you who have been there already.

A few body shots

My stats and expectations

I am 5'11 273 lbs. My goal is to lose a total of 110 lbs. I was most happy around 165 lbs. I am a commercial truck driver so that fact that I continue to pack on the pounds scares me. I am sure that a lot of people have noticed that many professional drivers are overweight/obese. That usually leads to diabetes (which affects my dot medical card), and sleep apnea (which would then require per gov a Cpap machine)
The thing that confounds me is that (in my opinion and) those that I interact with would not consider me an overeater. Yet in the past year that I have been driving I've gained about forty lbs. I just want to be healthy again! Thankfully I have not developed any other weight related illnesses.
I am so ready to begin thus journey! I am aware of the fact that this surgery is not an easy way out, but with proper nutrition and exercise I know that I will he successful. Thankfully I have a support team like realself to support and educate me through professionalism and via personal experience.

Getting sleeved a month sooner than planned

The date I scheduled initially conflicted with my partner's father wedding so I had to reschedule. The procedure will be performed on my bday 9/18/14. A little over a month away.

Officially on the losers bench!

So my surgery was performed at Mi Doctor Hospital on 9/17. I didn't have any complications other than a tricky IV which led to dehydration, but I was still well enough to be discharged. I left the hospital on 9/19. I must say that I was very impressed with my stay in Tijuana. I felt like royalty even while in the hospital. I never felt alone or afraid throughout the entire ordeal because the doctors and nurses were very attentive and aware of my needs. When they found out it was my birthday on 9/18 they made me a balloon out of a glove and decorated it. Sure it wasn't much but that was very thoughtful and it's the thought that counts.
Hotel Marriott Tijuana was immaculate. They recently had some remodeling done and the place is beautiful. The elevator even has a built in security feature where it won't operate without a room key card. What's even more impressive is the fact that the key card will only allow you to stop on your actual floor.
They also take you to revolution ave to do a little sightseeing and shopping. This is when you must be able to bargain. Never settle foe a price that you're not comfortable with they will negotiate.
Vacation is over for me I had surgery on Thursday and returned to work on Sunday. The Dr. Recommended 6 wks but hey I have bills to pay and I feel well enough to work (All cases are different though).
So far I'm down 8lbs from my surgery weight and about 20 lbs overall. Sometimes I have a little buyers remorse but that's just because I have to watch other people eat while I struggle just to get liquids in. But I must say that I know I made the right decision. I'll upload pictures in a few days.

Honesty is the best policy

If I am going to share my experience with you I have to be completely honest. Meaning I am going to divulge the positives and negatives of my experience. I hate food now! I have been surviving on water, hot tea, crystal light, and a protein shake every now and then. The thought of consuming broth makes me gag so I have not have broth since pre op. I am supposed to be able to enjoy purée foods but everything that I try gets stuck in my esophagus. I've tried refried beans, mashed potatoes, oatmeal, and yogurt my sleeve will not let me enjoy any of them. As a matter of fact the most simple one being the Greek yogurt wow did at getting stuck for about 10 minutes before I had the sudden urge to vomit and it ended up all over the place including in my hair no fun.
For the past two days I have felt as though I had this lump in my throat all day it is a constant uncomfortable feeling. They recommended taking Maalox when that happens but that did not help if anything it made me want to vomit so it just made me feel a lot worse.
I have also learned that my sleeve does not enjoy any type of sugar. I can tolerate Splenda but sugar is a no no it will run straight through my body and send me into the restroom. Trust me it is not a good feeling to be on and off of the toilet when you have not been consuming any food.
Even though I am having a really rough time I must say that I still do not regret my sleeve. I still feel as though I made the right decision for me. It's like anything that's worth having is not going to come easily but things can only get better from here.
When I started this journey I had a BMI of 39 my current BMI is 35.2. I have noticed that my energy level is still pretty low. I guess that is to be expected since I have not been eating. Anyone that is convinced that this is the easy way out should really really evaluate or reconsider. You have to be mentally prepared to go through this process because it's not going to be easy. Thankfully I'm not hungry since they removed most of the stomach that produces hunger hormones. It's just the idea of knowing you should be eating and consuming calories but not being able to.
I just wanted to post a really quick update I know I said I would post some pictures but I don't have the wifi I need in order to upload them from my laptop. I should be posting them within the next couple of days though . Thank you for taking your time out to to read my review. Bless you all and good luck on your personal journeys.
Ismael Cabrera

Maybe you started the food phase too soon? I know that the NUT said 1 week liquids Week 2 Soft foods the 3rd week begin some foods, I wish you well I know everyone's journey is different.
Hmmmmm.... You sure are having a difficult time and I'm hoping for your sake it's a post op stage only since it's just 10 days for you. I must admit, despite your issues, I read you are not interested in food, and I still want that. My thoughts are always on food, what it can eat now, what I'll eat after that, it's endless and time consuming and every minute of everyday thinking that I should not want to eat because logically I'm not hungry yet it's all I'm thinking about. Yes, it may be very hard, but so is a life focused on fighting eating successfully for relatively short period, but more often not, hence the exhaustion mentally as well as physically for me. I just don't want to fight this anymore so not being interested in food seems like a godsend to me. I hope this difficult period passes for you soon.
As I come up nearer my op date of 23 Oct I really need to read positive news like yours! Thank you and all the best for your ongoing journey.
Awe! Thank you so much. Good luck on your upcoming journey.
Awesome!!!!! Congrats!!!
Congrats on a successful surgery and speedy recovery! Can't wait to hear (& see!) more!
Had my surgery on tge 22nd in Albany, NY I had to stay for a couple days extra because I coild only keep a medicine cup of fluids down im home now n like u I haaaate food the smell the look everything over the course of the day I can het about a liter down n sugar free popsicles nothing else broth makes me so sick...I justcant wait until it gets better...oan I can se I have lost weight already...hang in there it will get better
Congrats on your surgery and thank you for sharing your story. Keep up the good work, and posting pics! :-D
Thank you! Pics are coming soon I promise
Did you have your surgery how are you doing? I had my on 9/19/14 with Dr. Alejandro Lopez in hospital VIDA.
Hello! Yes I actually had my surgery 9/17. I was discharged from the hospital on 9/19. Recovery was a little rough for me but I am doing much better. My surgery was performed at Mi Doctor Hospital. How are you feeling now?
Good Luck! !! I had my surgery on 7/14/14. It has been a journey! !! I know I made the right decision to WLS. If you need any information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Thank you so much! I will read your reviews first and then ask ?'s if you haven't already answered them.
Good Luck!!!
Welcome and thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Good luck with your surgery, I hope it goes well and you have a smooth recovery. Be sure to keep us updated with your progress!

You should check out the sleeve forum for support from the other sleevers, both pre and post-op. :-)
Thank you I am hoping for a smooth recovery. I'm not even sure how I came across this site but I am thankful that I did. The support system is great and I could use that because I won't really have one outside of this site. I have decided to only tell my life partner preop.
Well, we will all be here for you. There's a great support system here on RealSelf and no matter how you found us, we're glad you did! In the forum there's a thread called "top 10 tips before and after gastric sleeve". There are hundreds of sleevers in that forum getting support from each other.

Will your partner be going to the hospital with you? Mine stayed with me while I was in and honestly, I'm not sure how I would have gotten through it without her. I'm sure I *could* have, but it was a lot easier of a process, having her there.
Yes I am definitely taking her along with me. She is my rock! We could probably go it alone most definitely but I an so glad that we don't have to. I love the fact that they encouraged me to bring her and didn't chargee extra for it. I am addicted to this site so I will check it out. Thank you so much for being so resourceful. :)
No problem. :) The encouraged me to bring my partner also and didn't charge any extra. There was a little pull out couch in my room for her, which was nice.

At least you'll never forget your surgery anniversary, being on your birthday! :-)

Good luck for next month! I'm waiting as well but my date is not until 24 October, but that's okay. Like you, I've always been able to lose weight on a diet or other ways, I just can never keep it off which is probably more damaging than a stable heavier weight.
Thank you! Good luck in October. I have always been able to lose it but now being an over the road truck driver makes it even harder. Plus as you said it can't be healthy.
I hate that I can't edit my posts! * 9/18/14
I've changed that date for you. :-)