My Nose Keeps Changing. Tip Drops and Still Looks Bulbous After Each Surgery

Ive always wanted to get my nose fixed. My nose...

Ive always wanted to get my nose fixed. My nose looked big and I had a bump on my bridge and my tip was round and bulbous looking. Finally in 2007 I had rhinoplasty done. I told my PS what I wanted to achieve and the look I was going for. I brought pictures as well but I know that the surgeon has to work with what I have etc... I was told I have thicker skin.

I had the surgery done and was happy at first. I liked that my tip went up rather then slopping down like it did etc. My side profile looked really good. My nose looked "cute" from the side. And I loved that the bump on my bridge was gone. Not long after though it started settling and I found my tip started to drop and my nose was looking bulbous and would look wide when I would smile. I would smile and the tip went down too like it was dropping. I went back to my surgeon and told him this but he told me to give it a year as it can take a year for the nose to take shape and heal etc.

A year went by and I was still not happy with it so I went to see him and I booked in for him to do more work. He didnt charge me to do this and the surgery was not nearly as invasive as the first one. My eyes werent all bruised and I didnt have a splint on this time. He made an incision under the tip of my nose and put a graft (I think thats what its called) in. That was supposed to keep my tip from drooping when I smiled I guess. That helped a bit but over time again it just got worse. My tip was drooping alot. I felt like I looked "witch like" and my nose looked bulbous and my nostrils wide. I didnt go back to him for almost 3 years to tell him how much it changed. Like it did not look like I had my nose worked on twice already! It looked like I needed rhinoplasty done and that it was my first time or something.

Then I finally went back to him again in Oct 2011. I just hated my nose. Hated how it looked when I would smile, hated how it looked from the side etc...The tip looked round. Uh!!! He last saw me in 2008. I told him it had changed so much and I wanted him to fix it. I asked him why did it change and why my tip droops etc and he just said sometimes that can happen. He told me he would thin my nose out a little more and take in my nostrils which I wanted. He said he couldnt really do too much more with my tip. I had to pay $2000 plus tax for this. He said he was giving me a good deal as the original rhinoplasty cost $6000 so he wasnt charging me another $6000. Whatever.

So I had the surgery Nov 2011. One year ago. The results were good at first as always. I like when my tip goes up. Some people dont like this but I do. It doesnt last though. And now a year later and my nose isnt bad or anything but it seems like its drooping again when I smile and still looks wide!!! Grrrr! Why does it do this? And my nostrils still flair out a bit more then Id like and the tip looks round/boulbous to me. I do have thicker skin so maybe its hard to get my nose to look smaller/thinner etc....But Ive spent so much money and I guess I was hoping to look like I had a cute little nose and I still feel like my nose is the feature that makes me not look good.

Im going to post some pics so you all can see. I dont know if I should go back to him or what and talk with him? Like, what else could he do? I dont want my nose ruined by getting something done again but I feel like maybe it could have looked better.

Has anyone else had their nose change after getting rhinoplasty like mine has? My surgeon is a good one dont get me wrong. He has good credentials and is very well known. He's also a featured doctor on this site. I dont know what to do. HELP!

My plastic surgeon

Ive decided to post the doctor who worked on my nose. After reading several negative reviews from other people on here and other sites who have also had work done by him. All I can say is do your research and go to several consultations. Don't go for the lowest price and the marketing and fancy offices. Find a good surgeon who you can trust. Lesson learned.

Added 2 more pics

So here are another 2 shots of my nose. It seems to look worse in daylight. But you can see where it pulls to one side more then the other. Its not strait and you can see how bulbous it is at the bottom and wide and how my tip drops.

New pic

Here is a close up of my nose when I smile that I just took yesterday. Look at how out of shape it is. It looks wide and bulbous and my nostrils flare out. My tip drops and looks fat. Does this look like a nice nose? I don't think so :(

2 more pics

You can see how my nose isnt strait and pulls to one side more and how round and fat at the tip it looks in these pics.
Dr. Solomon

First of all thank you for sharing your experience! Secondly I agree with what everyone else says...you're really beautiful regardless. The changes in your nose are not detracting from your overall beauty. But I went through something very similar and was told the same thing so I understand how frustrating that can be to hear. I just had my 3rd revision in November so I understand what you're going thru. I made the same mistake as you by going back to my original surgeon for my first revision. Big mistake. My nose tended to do what yours is doing after surgery...it would look cute at first and then the tip would inevitably drop and widen and get more bulbous and shapeless with each revision. I was told by ever surgeon I consulted with this last time that I had thick skin as well and therefore I'd never get the definition in the tip I wanted. When I touched the tip of my nose it felt soft and mushy and I like it had no structure. Also when I smiled it pointed downward. In person I guess it wasn't as bad, but in pictures...ugh that's a different story. It really detracted from my overall appearance. I finally consulted with a surgeon who said he could give me the definition I wanted despite my thick skin and I ended up doing my 3rd revision with him. I am almost 4 montj post ip
Sorry hit "post comment" too soon by accident! Anyway I'm almost 4 months post op and so far my tip hasn't really dropped at all. It's hard and feels more defined now. I think it's actually bigger than before but I can live with that. He had to use ear cartilage in the tip to give me definition and told me that the reason the tip kept rotating downward and getting bulbous was possibly a combination of lots of scar tissue forming where my nose had been over resected, and also the cartilage graft weren't staying in place so I had very little support. Apparently thick skin can be a lot harder to work with and it's harder to get good definition but it is possible if the surgeon is truly skilled which seems hard to come by. Anyway again, thank you so much for sharing and posting all your pics! Good luck and if you have any questions about my procedure I'm happy to answer! All the best :)
Hi Prasiolite, Thanks so much for reading my review and for saying those sweet things about me :) Your story sounds alot like mine. My tip feels mushy and soft, drops when I smile, looks bulbous, my nose looks alot worse in pictures too. That really makes sense what you were told about why your tip was dropping....the graft isnt staying in place and the build up of scar tissue made so there was no support. Thats obviously whats happening with me. I have a consultation booked in April so Ill see what that surgeon says needs to be done. I hope he can help me. Your right though, its really hard to find a good skilled surgeon and to trust again. Im happy that you found someone who gave you the results you were looking for! Who was your surgeon and how much were you charged? Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. :)
I just read your review. Your nose looks amazing! Your surgeon did a great job! It gives me hope in that I can get good results like that too since we pretty much had the same issues with our noses. I just need to find the right surgeon. :)
Thank you! It's not perfect but my major concerns were addressed which was all I wanted. Just praying it stays this way this time!!
I am happy to share my story with you, we have a lot in common. I wrote you another response somewhere else but I do this on my phone and it's all small so I don't know what's where! Anyway if you want I can send you some before/after of me throughout my primary/ revisions etc. Unfortunately I'm not quite as nicely put together as you are in terms of the rest of my face otherwise I'd post them on here...not quite that confident! Anyway my surgeon's name is Oleh Slupchynskyj. him. He charged me 12K. It was a lot to swallow, but believe it or not I was getting quotes of up to 20K from other surgeons. And they were also telling me I'd never get definition in my tip due to my thick skin and previous damage. So while he's not a bargain by any means, it was definitely in the ballpark. I know he does take insurance for at least part of it. I don't know how he sets his prices - if it's dependent on how much damage is there or if he has standard rates. I know I had a lot of damage. It's important for me to tell you I elected to have a small silastic implant put into my bridge but that's a really personal choice. Most surgeons don't do it but I trusted him and had a much better chance of getting the look I wanted that way. It's not in the tip - that's ear cartilage. But I just want you to know that! I can't really say much about his personality because he is very nose -focused and doesn't talk much aside from nose related subjects. He was pleasant, but my other surgeons were much more chatty and friendly. But what good does that do you when they don't do your nose right?! Anyway four months post op so and far so good. if my nose could be made better I think yours could DEFINITELY be made more beautiful too!!
Im going to PM you and give you my email address. I would def like to see more pictures and I really appreciate you sending them to me :) I have more things I wanna ask you too so Ill just send them in my PM :)
Hi Prasiolite, hoping you're ok! Last time we spoke privately through inbox, I sent you my email to see your pictures. I would really love to see your pics since I'm considering your PS to work on mine. Hoping to hear from you soon! Hope everything is good with you :(
Wow, your nose really continued to change a lot after surgery. I'm sorry you're not happy with your results; I can't imagine the frustration. When you smile, does the tip of your nose get pulled down? If that's the case, then perhaps that muscle is what's causing the tip to droop. My surgeon pointed out that the tip of my nose depressed when I smiled, so he 'released' a muscle above my lip. Now my nose doesn't budge when I smile. If your surgeon has never addressed that with you, maybe bring it up in other consultations. Best of luck!
Hi Meg, Yes, when I smile my tip pulls down. This seems to keep happening and its really annoying. Thats really good to hear that your tip doesnt drop because of what your surgeon did. I will have to mention that at the consults and see what they have to say and if it would help me or not. Thanks so much for your post!
Hey Kitty, Sorry for the very late reply. I never new you wrote back because realself.com does not notify a person when they have a new msg ...I have not decided I figure I've waited my entire life what's a little more.Also I keep hearing so many say they are unhappy so it makes me think perhaps I shouldn't do it .If you want u can msg me & we can talk privately ..
Sent you a PM :)
I see what you mean about your nose. You're still gorgeous but it sucks to spend all this money and time and not get what you want. Honestly, I have not heard that many good things about Solomon & the results aren't very impressive. I would definitely go see another doctor. I hear Dr. Rival is good as far as Toronto doctors go, but in terms of *the best*, you should check out Dr. Grigoryants in California or Dr. Rizk in New York.
Thanks Vanessa :) Definitely looking into seeing other surgeons. Ive talked to a few people now who have gone to other surgeons after Solomon wrecked their noses and all these people love the new results they got with the new surgeon. I want that to be me!
hey girl! I'm from Toronto, and I'm flying to have a rhino with Dr. Grigoryants (hopefully by the end of the year) because i need to save up the money!! I didn't feel comfortable with any doctors in toronto.. I really think you should check Dr G's work and email him for an online consult. Good luck :)
That's exciting for you! It seems alot of people are traveling to have work done these days. I can't afford to pay for travel expenses on top of the cost of getting my nose done again but if I could I would. Ive checked out a few surgeons in Cali and if I lived there or could afford to travel there I would go see them for a consult.
I am glad you are doing research on a revision. Your story reminds me of own. My primary surgeon claims he is an expert in fixing other doctors mistakes and he has amazing after photos on his website. But then I wonder how come my results were not great. My nose is not horrible but we spend a lot of money and time and we deserve decent results. I feel your anger. It took me years to research doctors.
I have a question for you guys..... I myself had many procedures over the years and have pretty done one procedure at a time, nothing over 6,000 at a time financing maybe 1,500 max but pretty much paying for the better part of each surgery. I always wondered how people come up with 20-30,000 to pay for these surgeries and if it's financed isn't their monthly payment astronomically high? Where is the money coming from? How are you able to afford these surgeries?
I know. Its hard to know who to trust. So many surgeons out there and we have to pick just 1 who we feel we can put our trust in and do a good job and give us what we want. They all promise us our nose with turn out great but ofcourse thats not always the case. Did you ever get a revision or are you looking into it? When did you have your first surgery done?
Ya, who knows how people pay for the work they get done. My guess is financing it.
I had the primary in 2001. Haven't had the revision yet but I think I found my surgeon and will book soon. So excited! Good luck to you.
Thanks! Good luck to you aswell. :)
Hey hun, wow I'm really sorry to hear that you had such a horrible experience, especially from a surgeon who has a good reputation and is on this site. That just makes no sense. You're gorgeous and it's really upsetting to hear that you have to go through so much just to correct someone else's mistake. Do you think maybe you could see another surgeon and get him to do a revision on what the other guy screwed up? or at least a consultation with someone else so they can give you the truth about what's really going on here. good luck!
Aw thanks so much for the sweet compliments! Made my day :) I am going to look into seeing another PS. I want to get another opinion as to why this has happend to me. I have one in mind Id like to go to. I would like a revision but that all depends on the cost and if I feel he can fix my previous surgeons mistakes. If anything though atleast I will get his opinion. I called the office of the surgeon who worked on my nose office and requested my medical files from them. I want to have these so I can bring them to any future consults I go too. As I am typing this I noticed on the right side of my screen there is an advertisement for his website. It makes me really angry. I trusted him with my nose and the outcome wasnt good. I know nothing is perfect and my nose isnt horrible. But it def should look better then it does and should not be dropping, changing shape etc after I get it done. Its my fault though for continuing to go to him and choosing him in the first place. His price and advertising sucked me in. I just spoke with another person on here who is also not happy with his work and when I saw their pics there nose looks kinda like how mine went. Out of shape and bulbous. Not to mention he seems to have alot of negative reviews now.
Yea - Dr. Solomon has a ton! Sorry - who are you considering now?