Thermage Made a Mess of my Face

Today is my two-month Thermage anniversary and I...

Today is my two-month Thermage anniversary and I didn’t expect to feel so down about it. I was prepared to celebrate “the new me” after my “miracle cure” but I have not been able to do that. I had Thermage done on my face. My skin had begun to sag over the years and I was looking much older than 38. At first I went to a plastic surgeon in the city for a face-lift but he said I wasn’t a good candidate and instead referred me to a dermatologist across the street. After my consultation I was sold on Thermage and the benefits it provides. I should mention these are benefits I never saw! Weight loss is a side effect of Thermage and I began to see these effects about a week after the procedure. My cheeks began to hollow out and I wasn’t dieting. I didn’t need to lose weight in the first place but I especially didn’t need to lose it in my face. Over time I began to look very gaunt and my face dried out too. I have never seen any skin tightening – only these adverse effects. I called my dermatologist after about three weeks. I couldn’t even get through to him and instead had a secretary tell me to wait the prescribed 2-6 months for effects. She didn’t seem to care that I WAS having effects... just the wrong kind. Since then I have not been called back even ONCE, only told to wait 2-6 months. In the meantime my face has not gotten tighter and the loose skin I have is more wrinkled and loose than before. I also feel like my skin is thinner than it used to be, which contradicts everything I was told at the consultation. I’m starting to look really gross and I don’t know what else to do. I want to start shopping for a doctor to fix this but I am now afraid of doing something else to my face and coming out even worse than I am now. I cannot recommend a product that did this to me.
I was told by the spa I went to that Tripollar Apollo (another radio-frequency device) was more safe than the Thermage. Well, guess what? The Apollo took away a lot of volume from my face too. I didn’t have saggy skin. I only had little lines around my mouth. Now I have very saggy skin, no cheeks, and a lot of lines around my mouth. You are not alone in your struggles. I am now trying to “wait it out” and see if the fat in my face returns.
Radiofrequency should be banned. It's effects are like a wild card.
All radiofrequency treatments, whether thermage, or the syneron machines (elite, EMAX, Aurora) can cause fat loss. I'm proof it can happen with the EMAX. There are not enough objective studies done regarding radiofrequency and the devices that use them. There is a fine line between heating and destroying the skin and fat layers.