Breast Explant and Lift at age 50 in Texas

I wish I had just had a lift 12 years ago, but...

I wish I had just had a lift 12 years ago, but here I am getting ready to remove these things along with a lift. I'm excited, nervous, but hopeful. I don't mind being small, I used to be a 32B, I'm a 32D with implants and my PS says to expect to be an AA to small B. I'm what most people consider petite at 5'5" and weigh 112. I've done a ton of research and read tons of blogs.

Before pics

Here are a few before pics.

Before pics

Before

Bra recommendations

I don't want to spend a ton of money on bras that I'll never where once I'm healed. Any advice?

Pre-op done!

I went for my final pre-op with my PS and the hospital today. Only a little over two weeks now! I'm excited and a little nervous, but mostly wanting to be done.
I don't know why, but originally I thought my PS was leaving the capsules in, but today he said he's removing them. Maybe I was just on information overload the first time, not sure.
Anyway, excited for the final countdown now. I'm the first scheduled surgery of the day do I have to be at the hospital by 5:30am on the 22nd. All prayers are greatly appreciated!

Tomorrow is the big day!

Hi sweet ladies! Tomorrow is my day to explant first thing in the morning! I am having a lift as well, so prayerfully everything will go perfect! Thanks for all your encouraging stories and support! I'll update tomorrow as soon as I'm coherent. I sure would appreciate prayer??

I survived!

Well I had explant and lift this past Thursday and I'm glad to be on the other side. BUT, it was rough. Thursday was fine, I was put under and was given morphine in recovery, so I was still smiling and happy Thursday evening.
Friday was a complete disaster, I was a wreck, I mean a really bad wreck. Coming off the anesthesia and discovering that I had a horrible reverse reaction to the pain meds made for a rough day, I literally thought I would die. I didn't sleep Thursday, was horribly sick Friday and couldn't eat or sleep. I started taking Tylenol for pain, my antibiotics and still tried the anti-nausea med and went right back into drug trauma because that med also caused reverse drug reaction. Late Friday night after zero sleep or food and after much consultation with a friend that is a nurse and was aware of all meds I had taken, I was convinced to take my regular sleeping aid. I was paranoid, afraid to take anything and terrified of falling asleep. All completely out of character for me.
Well I finally slept a few hours after much prayer from my sweet hubby and a small group of close women from our church family that my husband contacted.
Saturday I finally felt like I would survive, I ate a banana and broth and crackers and was much better. It has also been an emotional ride for sure, lots of times just crying and wondering why I ever did this to myself.
I had my first shower after 48 hours and that really helped me feel better. My hubby is a blessing, he's been tender and compassionate and just wonderful. He's washed my hair, dealt with the drains and changed my dressings everyday.
First look at the new breasts was somewhat scary at first. They are significantly smaller which I'm fine with. My PS said I was about 80% implant, but clean and no scar tissue. So small, bruised, cut up, but shape seems nice. Still hard to tell. But I will be pleased just being me again.
It will be great to get rid of the drains! Follow up is Friday!
I will post photos once the drains are gone. Thanks for all the wonderful support and prayers!

Drains out early!

So my drains had almost no fluid for a few days and my doctor said they could come out! Super exciting news!
I went in yesterday and had my first post-op visit early! It was a little uncomfortable having them removed, but a breeze in comparison to everything else.
I slept wonderful last night! Huge relief, I feel like a new woman!
My PS said I'm healing wonderfully! He seemed almost apologetic that I was so small, so funny because I'm completely satisfied with my results so far.
I know there is still some swelling and I will likely be even smaller, but I'm fine with that. I'm going to make sure and do everything he says in order to get the best results.
Don't want to post pics right now because they are still bruised and swollen. I also have a mesh, gluey strip over all sutures. But, in a couple of weeks after those come off I will.
It's a huge difference! Before I was a 34D and now I'm guessing I'm in the A family. It's okay though, no regrets:)

Oops...correction, 32D not 34D.

I measured a 32D before, but wore a 34D for comfort. I think because they felt to heavy.

3 weeks post pics!

Hi Ladies!
I had my 3 week post op visit with my PS yesterday and had the mesh tape/ strips and patches removed. It was a pretty exciting day because it was the first time I was able to actually see my nipples and the scars and get an idea of what I had to look forward to. The best part was when they were removing the mesh patches off my nipples because I could completely feel it! I had greater sensation in them than before the surgery! Then I had to rush to work, but was so anxious to get home and see them.
The pictures make them look a little bigger to me than they really are and in person the scars are more pronounced. I'm not sure what size I am yet, if I'm a B, it a very small B, but really probably an AA. Either way, I'm very pleased with the results, scars and all. This was a very good decision for me and I feel like my PS did a great job.
Houston Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Gill has been great, I immediately felt at ease with him. I read every review about him I could find and they were all great. Then after the fact I found out that a dear friend who is a nurse suffered cancer and used Dr. Gill for her reconstruction surgery and she said he was great! Dr. Gill knew I did not want new implants and just wanted explanting and so explained what he recommended for me to obtain the best results. I'm now post op by a little less than a week and I must say I am completely satisfied and pleased with my treatment throughout the entire process. Dr. Gill personally called me the day after surgery to check on me and his PA checked in on me as well. Dr. Gill has been great and I would highly recommend him.

You totally have "teen boobs", your daughter is right! ! Absolutely beautiful! Sooooooooo much better then before!
Ha! Thank you! I'm very blessed and pleased. I have a great PS here in TX.
You really look good. I am contemplating removal of mine. I am over 50 and have had implants over 15 years. I am really concerned about how they will look and feel. Will they hold up on their own or flop around??? Any feedback is appreciated. thanks
Hi Hummelstown5016! Thank you! I am very happy with my decision. I knew I wanted them out and didn't want anymore surgeries on my breasts ever again. They are very soft, in a very natural way. They look so pretty! I'm an A cup now, but the size looks perfect on my small frame. I knew I needed a lift before I ever got implants, so I was sure I would need one once they were removed. My PS told me I had very little breast tissue and what to expect. He also confirmed that I would need a lift and so we made a decision to do it all at once. I didn't want multiple surgeries and couldn't afford it anyway. I was 80% implant! But I didn't want to replace them and go through this again in my 60's and I honestly didn't like them at all. They didn't make me sick, they were not hard, I didn't have cc, but they were starting to sag and I never liked the way they felt anyway. For me, this was the best decision. I love my new natural body. The scars are fading and I'm only at 2 months post. Since I had a lift, they hold up on their own and are cute and perky, no flopping around. But not tight or weird, just soft and natural like when I was 18. I can go without a bra if I wanted, but I'm 50 and don't think I'll do that. Hope this helps! I pray you make the best decision for you!
Wow! You look simply amazing! Your boobies are def not AA ..I'd say a B. They really came out great :) How do you feel?! A lot lighter and freer like a bird right? Thats how I felt ..those implants felt like a cage around me. Happy healing & God bless you! :)
You don't look like a double A. You definately look like a B... very lucky. the list looks like it was really well done. You look great, congratulations.
Thank you ilovebreasts! The lift was very well done! I'm very blessed and pleased with my results. I did try on a bra at Soma and was definitely an a, but not sure if that brand runs large. I'm curious to try on a different brand and see, but either way, I'm very happy and not concerned about size anymore:) thank you for your kind words❤️
You look great. I'm doing BA/TT on July 18th and am wondering why you wish you never got implants and had them removed - please share.
Hi Jasminepearl! Sorry for the delayed response, I was on a mini-vacation and wanted time to review your profile. I strongly recommend you read as many explant stories as you can, there are so many woman of all ages regretting doing this to our bodies. For me personally, it wasn't a good choice. My PS made them bigger than I wanted and asked for. Sounds like they do the best they can, but it's not an exact science. I lost sensation in my lower breasts and some in my nipples. They felt very uncomfortable to be touched while being intimate with my husband. I actually couldn't stand it, and basically tolerated it never telling him how I felt about it. I don't think they looked real, they were always big and full. Sure they got attention, but mostly unwanted. And yes, they had the upper fullness that you have without the need of a push-up bra, but that's not a natural look. Most men and women can tell when you have implants, that may not even be an issue or matter to you. Mine were saline under the muscle. Silicon is still not safe no matter what they tell you, there is always risk of rupture. Implants have a "shelf life", your tummy tuck won't. You will be setting yourself up for future surgeries. There is always a risk of capsular construture(I may have that term wrong) but many women have that happen resulting in breasts that get very hard like rocks due to the scarring tissue surrounding the implants and your chances of that greatly increase in happening again if that's how your body reacts to the implants which would need further surgeries unless your ok with rock hard breasts. Remember our bodies try to reject or protect us from foreign objects. I have read so many horror stories about what silicone is doing to women and how some, not all have miraculous recoveries from unexplained illness once they are removed, and sadly some don't. When I actually asked the technician performing a mammogram on me if the implants really do obstruct the view of breast tissue making it impossible to see all tissue and possibly lumps, she said they do and had me come to the screen and view the pics. I was amazed, there were these solid white big balls blocking a portion of breast tissue. I cannot not express how much I love and appreciate my small, naturally shaped breasts now. I was a mildly saggy b preimplantation, a c that eventually grew to a d after implants. Now I'm an a or a very small b, but happy. It's been a long journey. I really want women to know what they are getting themselves into. Mine lasted almost 12 years before I made the decision to get them out, but the last few years they were just big saggy melons. Please read stories on this site if young women your age explanting. I think a tummy tuck is fine, your not putting something in your body that doesn't belong. Do you have pre-op pics posted? I'll have to go back and check. Either way, I pray you are happy and healthy no matter what decision you make.
Yikes. I appreciate your honesty. My PS wants to put the silicon behind the muscle and says it will NOT interfere with mammograms. I've also read that silicon is now safe and that's why it was allowed back on the market. I know that there are risks with implants and with any operation and I'm sorry that you fell into that category. The PS went over the risks and the small percentage of patients that fell into each category. I've fallen into the unfortunate side of statistics in my life and it was devastating. We always think that we'll fall into the positive side of the risk stats and comfort ourselves with those high numbers. I'll do some more research, but got your message after I paid my $12,000 yesterday....ugggg....I really do want nicer, fuller breasts and have my entire life. The PS assured me that they would look natural, not high profile and not like the "beach ball" implant that I've never cared for.....still, your message now leaves me worried about more than just pre-op anxiety. Any sites you recommend I look at or just google the safety concerns you mentioned ?
Jasminepearl, you should post some pics of yourself... maybe using the fat from your tummy tuck and injecting that into your breasts will give you the fullness you want... it will certainly look and feel more natural than implants...
Hi Jasminepearl, This site is a great site for information. Read as many reviews as you can specifically about explanting on this site. After reading so many stories on this site from women all around the world I find it hard to believe that the percentages are as minimal as your PS would have you believe. I've read too many stories of women having health issues that only started after getting implants. Search this site specifically for explanting, you will find numerous women with health issues. Ask women specific questions on this forum, there is a great wealth of info and support from women who have been through this. Remember that your PS is a doctor but he also has a product to sell you and at some point you will be back because breast implants do not last forever. Just educate yourself as much as possible first so you have no regrets.
I completely agree with the above comment.
Well, the PS said I hardly have any fat to remove - just skin and muscle repair due to diastasis recti. I noticed on your blog that you mentioned your implants were "toxic" - how did you come to that conclusion? What symptoms were you suffering from,etc that you believe were from the implants?
Sigh,,,I will check the explants and do understand that plastic surgeons are biased due to their livelihood, etc....
Can't help but respond to this conversation. Jasminepearl, I remember how excited I was when I got my 1st boob job. I wanted fullness, nice boobs..I was a 36C 135# at the time. 270 cc above muscle put me into a full 36D...awkwardly nice. I no longer felt comfortable wearing fitted t's especially at work. Became very self conscious. Use to wear a bikini but now can't get suit's to fit top never matches bottom. Tops and cloths in general difficult to buy and never fit at the waist because my boobs are too big. Story isn't over...I had them redone after 12 years (more money). This time with a mini TT. Don't ever do a mini TT..all that happens is the pouch below the belly button is now above the button. I am now scheduled for a revision to the full tt which I thought I need to begin with (more money) and for the 3rd time I need my breast revised. My left breast has become so painful and like ForeverHis1, I too cannot stand being touched. I can't even hug people right now it is so painful. Not to mention nipples are uneven and one breast is extremely larger than the other. As I am scheduling my surgery my surgeon tells me he will lift, fix the implant I have in (that is causing the pain) and make my boobs look beautiful. My first response is back to "yes" I want nice boobs. That was too weeks ago and as you see I am once again following the explants trying to make that final decision to be rid of them. This will be my 3rd surgery on my breasts....I'm ready for a facelift but can't get past the boobs..lol...anyway really don't know your story but wishing you the best of luck and make sure your communication with your surgeon is nothing but upfront and honest!!! My last surgeon did seem to understand my concerns, I can't understand why if someone did something that wasn't right or didn't look good why they wouldn't want to fix it...anyway best of luck.
You do not need breast implants to look good. Please look at all the beautiful natural women without implants now. Once you don't have implants it's amazing how much your thinking changes. I love the natural beauty we have just the way we were created. I think I can tell when a woman has implants and they never look good to me, just big and round. Quit thinking you will not have nice boobs! You can have beautiful nice breasts that no longer hurt and look and feel great! I'm only two months post so my husband has only gently caressed them once during intimacy and it felt nice, no pain. And it feels wonderful to have him hug and hold me close. That means more to me any day than having big round breasts. Love yourself!
Thanks for chiming in. I was a 36B and got smooth round silicone implants behind the muscle 339 cc each - along with a full TT. I'm on day 5 of recovery. My breasts look very proportionate to my petite frame (5' 1.5" and 115#). I forget about the implants until I take my sports bra off and then I think they look huge...lol....however, I understand that I'm still swollen this far out of surgery. I stressed to my PS that I did not want big fake breasts and I think he made the perfect recommnedation - I'll know more when the swelling goes down and wonder how long that's going to take.
I think they look great! Congrats! Thanks for sharing your story!
Thank you!
You look great. You are definitely not an AA or an A. You are probably a B. Stick to the sports bras and bralettes for now because the final size will not be determined so soon. Trust me on this.
Thank you! It's so good feeling natural. You are right, I'm not ready for regular bras yet. They look smaller in person, but maybe they are a B and I just can't tell because I was so used to my D melons. I'm also sore again now with the protective strips off. Especially on the bottom. My sports bras that were so comfy aren't as comfy today. It's a good thing I have my own office because I'm constantly having to pull the bra down past the incisions. But feeling great anyway!
I am glad you are feeling great. It is awesome having sensation in the nipples too! Have you tried paper tapes on the incision? I do that to prevent it from being annoyed by the bra and lay the scar flat. Especially since when I run the strap is right on the incision. I feel like I look smaller than my pictures as well but comparing your pictures to mine, yours look bigger and I am a 34 B at the moment. I wish I knew how long it would take to figure out the right bra size. Some women said they were smaller than before their breast augmentation surgery but more women said they were bigger than before the surgery. I guess we will figure out in time. I know that the 34 A cup was snug a couple weeks ago but it fit. However, last week when I put them on, they were tight and my breasts didn't fit in the bra anymore. I figured I will wait because I do not want to end up regret buying a larger size and then my breast shrinks or gets bigger.
Yeah, that makes sense. The bralettes are working out much better for me. I didn't try the tape because I'm using SkinMedica scar recovery gel twice a day on the incisions. It seems to be working really well. My PS had my incisions covered with a product for the first 3 weeks that is fairly new on the market. It covered all incisions and my nipples completely and is supposed to help heal the areas quickly and works super well to minimize scarring. It has! I'm 4 weeks out and some of the incisions are barely visible! I'm super impressed. When I got the BA, I had dark scars for years and they never went away, just faded some. He really did such a great job! I'm happier than I was with my breast at 21! It's been a long journey, but a great ending. I sure appreciate you and all the other women on this site. Thank you so much. I'm thinking at 6 weeks I'll post new pics:)
That sounds great! I wish I knew about SkinMedica scar recovery gel I would have tried it. The most important thing is that you are happy and healing well. I am glad for you. You're welcome and take care. :)