Modified Phenol or Croton Oil / Hetter Peel - Texas

I am 4 weeks post peel. It was paintful for the...

I am 4 weeks post peel. It was paintful for the first 11 days but with the pain medication (I took Percoset)and numbing meds (Lidocaine)I was ok. Slept pretty much the first 4-5 days. It is imperitive that you have someone with you (preferably a nurse) to administer your medications and apply the treatments.

The first 2 days you treat the face every 2 hours with sterile water and a bit of vinegar so remove the slothing skin. Then you apply a mixture of bacitracin and Lidocaine that is whipped up and kept in the fridge. This is applied like you would ice a cake with a tongue depressor. After the 2nd or 3rd day the facial washes are not so frequent but several times a day. Not only is this beneficial to healing and preventing scaring but it also feels really good. After about 10 or so days most of the "crap" has come off and you have red very tight skin. For me it has been hard to open my mouth real wide.

I will say this, I am 65 and had pretty deep wrinkles around my mouth and also deep lines between my eyebrows.........ALL GONE. It is amazing and I am willing to wait as long it takes to completely heal. I used a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and my procedure was done in a hospital setting anthesia was administered by an Anethesiologist. I had to have a cardiac clearance prior to my procedure because of my age.

There is a lot of preparation for this peel including 6 weeks of hydryoquinone and retin A. There are certain vitamins you will stop a couple of weeks before and different healing vitamins you will start a couple of weeks before. You really need to be dedicated to this and plan on waiting at least 3 weeks to go out. I am still really red and probably will be for up to 6 months. I wear a heavy duty sunscreen but make-up seems to make me look pretty normal now to go out in public. My face is flawless. I would do it again although this will last me the rest of my life if I take care of my face.

Modified Phenol or Crtoton OIl Peel

It's been almost 3 years...............I am still very pleased. The healing took a long time..........the redness lasted almost 6 months. It was so worth it though. I am going to recommend this procedure to anyone that has lots of wrinkles......just remember that the recovery takes a while and you must be committed to it.

Modified Phenol Croton Oil Peel

3 years and still loving it.............
Austin Plastic Surgeon

I wish I could find a doctor in the Philly area that could do that good of a job for me. You really look fantastic!
Your results are awesome. I get my peel next Monday. I am hoping to get rid of those vertical lines above my lips. Your doc did an excellent job.
Good luck..................just hang in there and remember the end results. Contact me if you have any other questions marymckenz@aol.com
Grandmary, Just curious. Is the reason you have to always wear sunscreen because you could end up with hypo/hyper pigmentation or is it because your skin could wrinkle more easily?
Does anyone know of a doctor in New Jersey or Pennsylvania who does phenol peels on a regular basis?
hypo/hyper pigmentation.....................
Remember, you don't want a "phenol peel" you want a croton oil peel or a modified phenol peel. There's a big difference.
Thank you Grandmary. What is the difference between the two peels?
A Phenol peel can be very dangerous to your heart while being administered and also it makes your face "white" and very waxy....not skin like. They've made great strides with modifying and improving the combination of drugs that are used. My Dr. told me it looked like a chemistry lab in there (the operating room).
Grandmary, I am curious, did you start out by trying TCA peels or did you just go right to the big guns?
About 4 years prior to the peel I did a twelve week protocol of Obagi with retina.........it did a really nice job but not on the deeper wrinkles....that's all I ever did prior to my "big guns" peel.
Thank you Grandmary90, you have been really helpful!
Grandmary, I have to say that you look amazing. Did the peel change the color of your skin? Is it true that you have to stay out of the sun for the rest of your life or can you just wear sunscreen?
It's been three years now and I do everything I have always done except with lots of sunscreen....It didn't change the color of my skin because I am fair to begin with...........Dr's don't like to do it on anyone that doesn't have fair skin because it can lighten your skin
In addition; When I stated "This was very painful" I was referring to the Phenol Peel, not the lower face lift. That hurts also but mainly in and around the ears. Literally if you have the lower face/upper lip phenol peel you WILL look like Planet of the Apes for a few days and then the redness continues to resemble that of a monkey's mask, as they do this in sections and it is in a circular circumference. Do not think that you will be fine in 7-10 days. I'm at day 26 and do not want to go out in public. I know eventually this will look good but now I look like I have a badly burned face.
Wow, you're pretty brave to go through all of that. I was told not to do a phenol peel in small areas because of discoloration of the skin. What did your doctor say?
I had a Phenol Peel under eyes 12 years ago, when I turned 40. My eyes have NO wrinkles and they look to be that of a 35 year old, now at 52. I just had a phenol peel on my upper lip and lower face, along with a lower face and neck lift, 26 days ago. This peel is MUCH harder to hide and I can not go out in public, least everyone stares at me. It is really hard to wear make-up as it is summer time and the heat and humidity results in the make-up being sucked into your face. I fear this will take at least 3 months to fade. I am a teacher and am going to scar the kiddos, I am sure. The lower face life was the easy part. This was VERY painful and looked horrid, especially on days 2-7. It helped to rinse 4x a day with a mix of 1 tbsp white vinegar and 1 cup water. Took away the burn.
Could you tell me if the peel tightened your skin or did you need a facelift? thank you.
The peel did tighten my skin...............in fact I was worried at first because it was really tight but it's been almost 3 years now and my face is relaxed and soft/supple and NO lines. The healing takes a long time but so worth it. It did not lift my jowls or neck....that will have to come next but my face looks wonderful.
Thank you so much Grandmary. Do you mind if I ask who your doctor was? I want to do this, but so nervous. I guess I am afraid the doctor will layer the peel too thick or not thick enough. Really want to get rid of the marks and lines after a terrible botched up laser procedure.
The peel did tighten my face quite a bit but it did nothing for my jowl or neck line...........I'm going to have to win the lottery and opt for a lower face/neck lift. But, the face itself looks really good. It's been 3 years now.
I used Dr Dustin Reid, he is co-owner of Restora Austin. His partner Dr. Ashley Gordon also does this procedure........they're both just awesome.
wow, amazing!
Hi, I was wondering if your skin turned white or waxy looking and are you still happy with the results? Thank you.
My skin never got waxy or turned white........I think that used to happen back many years ago (in the 60's). They have made huge advances in Croton Oil peels and the procedure is very controlled. You MUST use a board certified plastic surgeon that is very experienced in doing this.