Long Road Back to Normal - Texas

It has now been 6 weeks since my periorbital Pearl...

It has now been 6 weeks since my periorbital Pearl Laser resurfacing. I had great skin, but wanted to get rid of dark circles and some crepey skin. I bled and was so swollen that I couldn't see out of one eye. I have had to seek treatment from another physician due to an outbreak of folliculitis about 2 wks out of the procedure. Now, I have a chalazion cyst on one of my eyelids which will have to be removed by a plastic surgeon. I am also still red. All of this is because of the laser. I would give anything to go back in time. By the way, now I have horrible red bumps under an eye and STILL HAVE the dark circles.

It has been two full months now. I stilll have to...

It has been two full months now. I stilll have to wear heavy makeup, but I am slowly improving. The blocked follicles on my eyelid are the worst but do not show unless I close my eyes. I may have red marks left by the folliculitis, but they can be treated in time with different products. I am beginning to accept what has happened. I know my doctor did not mean to hurt me in any way, and I have changed my review to reflect that. I am not damaged financially and there is a team of experts from the laser company reviewing my case. I know I will recover, but have basically lost my summer dealing with this. I doubt I will ever have anything done again. I will never do the laser for any reason. I have such a deeper compassion now for folks with skin disorders and acne. I want to go up to them and give them a pep talk. I cry more easily than I did before. I think it is because I have suffered a great deal with this "simple little procedure". I feel guilty about the vanity that made this all happen, but I feel that I am now a stronger person. Once I heal, I will hold my head up high and smile at everyone I meet.....especially people whose skin is far less than good or suffer from any type of disability. I have gotten reaquainted with who I am and what I care about. Wrinkles aren't fun and aging isn't for the faint of heart, but accepting the process with humor and grace makes a person remarkable. I will never take my health or my appearance for granted.

It is now over 3 months since I had the procedure....

It is now over 3 months since I had the procedure. I wish that I had never had it every single day, but I guess you get used to nearly anything. Where all the folliculitis was, now there is rosacea, which I never had before. The spot on my eyelid is not improving. I am thinking about having surgery to remove all the places. I think tiny scars are preferrable to the bumps. Some days, I just look in the mirror and cry. The dermatologist that I saw after this laser treatment has been wonderful to me. I can honestly say that I don't intend to do anything else unless he does it or refers me to a plastic surgeon. Whatever you do.....DO NOT USE any doctor who isn't board certified for this procedure. Being a medical doctor does not qualify a person to use lasers and redo your skin. I found out the hard way because I wanted to save money. My eyes do not look different except for the huge red knot on my eyelid. I now wear lots of makeup, whereas I didn't need to previously. I would tell anyone not to do it at all, but if a person feels strongly about it.....follow the advice above. I will be okay. I will not look like I used to, which is hard to deal with. I have a great support system and will make it through this. No amount of money could compensate all the confidence I lost, but I am slowly concentrating on other things in my life other than my appearance and aging. I recently became a grandmother, so that blessing is keeping me going. Life is really great.....just wish I could have my face back.

I have changed my rating. I had to be very proactive, but once I impressed upon the staff and the doctor how much I had suffered, my fee was refunded. In addition, the entire clinic is doing everything possible to help me. They did a makeover and gave me the makeup, which was very nice and helped my self esteem a great deal. I will continue to do business with this doctor, but no more lasers for me at all!

Was the doctor who initially did the laser treatment not a plastic surgeon or dermatologist? I know it is hard to not get down and depressed about the situation, but please do not give up hope!! It has only been a few months. It has taken me over 3 years to get my chest back to where I am able to wear something other than a scarf around it!! Skin takes a very long time to heal and the issues you are having may possibly resolve slowly over time. I cannot thank you enough for posting this information though, because even though I have been "burned" literally and figuratively, I have really deep hollows under my eyes and have consulted with an oculoplastic surgeon here in Nashville. He recommended Restylane, Pearl under eyes (for crepey skin texture) and something called e-matrix for full face. I'm so glad I read your review because I am scheduled for this Friday to get the Restylane, and I'm going to tell him that I am going to wait about having the laser done. I recently bought an "at home" laser to use under my eyes. It is fractional and I can tell you, it is no joke... It's called Palovia and it was about $500. You use it every night for a month, then 2 times per week for maintenance. I could tell after using it for 1 week that it was working because my skin got that same rough, sandpaper feeling that you get after a Fraxel treatment. It was actually a little too much for me to do it every night, so I backed off a little and let it heal, and can you believe the skin got dry and peeled off and I can tell a huge difference in the texture??? After one week of using the at home laser!!! I use it on my upper eyelids too, but just not directly over the actual eye... I use up more toward the eyebrow. I think you would need to give your skin more time to heal before trying this, but it might help to resolve some of your issues??? I can totally sympathize with you, as I was soooo self conscious about my chest (and still am to a certain degree), but trust me, things will get better. You just have to find a good dermatologist and follow his/her advice. I was lucky enough to find a wonderful aesthetician and she has had me on Obagi, doing needling, Fraxel, an on and on, but it has WORKED. It is a slow process, but with the right professional helping you, you will get better and you will regain your confidence!!! I wish you all the best and a speedier resolution than it has taken me!!!

I'm so sorry to hear of this bad outcome. I was burned on my chest having IPL and it left white scars in the shape of the laser tip. The clinic denied any responsibility... That was in 2009, and I was very depressed. Like you, I lost a summer, well 3 summers, but I kept researching and found out about needling for hypopigmentation and it has helped A LOT. I do feel better about my chest area now, but also wish I had just left it alone. Give your skin some more time to heal... It does take a LONG time to settle down after the trauma of the laser. I think you will have improvement, especially if the doctor is now working to try and make this right. Thank you for sharing your story.

Please just keep hanging in there!

I am sorry you have had such a bad experience with this process.  I am hoping you are able to have these things fixed and find some peace here.

Thank you for sharing your review with the community.