Scars and Burns After IPL -Tampa, FL

Two years ago I went to a doctor to have some...

Two years ago I went to a doctor to have some brown spots removed. She suggested IPL and said I would need five sessions, thirty days apart. That not only would it get rid of brown spots but make my skin look 10 years younger. My sister had it done and she said it helped rid her of brown spots on her skin and she thought may have helped with small wrinkles. She could not for sure state that since she also got botox and fillers a couple times a year. She is over five years old than me and had been doing it for a couple of years.

After interviewing three doctors (not a medspa) I went with a doctor who had said she had been doing this for 3 years and trained others. She also many of her own photos of before and after in the waiting room also. The first time she did the IPL, she numbed my skin, put little plastic googles on my eyes. It was not that bad like a light sunburn as stated in the paperwork she gave me for side-effects along with brown flecking. I was pretty satisfied of the results and kept pictures of before and after for myself though she also took pictures too.

On the second IPL she said she wanted to give me some tightness and firming along with be able to reach some of the underlining light brown areas. She said she was turning it up one level and that my skin would respond well to this and I would love the results. Oh yes she told me for $500.00 she would do my neck and chest since I was a prime candidate for the treatment. I expressed this stung quite a bit more than last time but she said this was normal. I went home and had to put cold paks on face because the heat got more intense. I called the doctor about six hours later before the office closed since it was before a three day weekend. She told me to continue with the cold paks and keep it moist with the serum she gave me and call on Tuesday if I needed.

I watched as my skin as it crinkled and shriveled and lines emerged as the days went on so I called and they got me in the next day. After seeing the doctor she said this is normal and that it would peel off and would reveal fresh new skin. After two weeks my skin did some peeling but still looked so dry, with hypo and hyperpigmentation, pits, lines, and and pores had enlarged.

I went back to the doctor two weeks later. I was left waiting over an hour and than one of her assistants came out and said that my so skin looked great, that was exaggerating, and that there was nothing wrong. I had never seen her before and she had never examined my skin before. I also said that to her and asked to have the doctor see me. When the doctor finally came out she barely glanced at me and said if I was not happy with the results she wanted to refund the balance on my prepaid treatments, and that she would not treat me anymore. She said IPL was not able to damage my skin as I was saying but she never looked me in the eyes. Her staff kept their eyes down and one girl said sorry as they refunded my money. The doctor said she was busy and left me there stunned on how I was treated and the fact she would not even look at me! I have been in out of other doctor's office and only one said well maybe if she turned up to high of setting it could of burned me.

Really no solution but I do continue to warn others even if it is an experienced doctor, and you have the type of skin that should take IPL just fine that you can substain damage. I know the warnings they gave and none of the above issues are claimed. Let me tell you the icing on the cake that I have read on a medical site called Pubmed.com that a study shows that IPL can cause DNA damage and may cause the initiation of skin cancer. The topic is called Expression of p53 Protein after Nonablative Rejuvenation: The other side of the coin.

Http://web.princeton.edu/sites/ehs/laserguide/sec3...

http://web.princeton.edu/sites/ehs/laserguide/sec3.htm Next time someone tells you that lasers and IPL can not damage the dermis, fat, nerve, or eye may want to read this. It explains the damage that can happen and the reason may vary has much as people do. The problem is no one knows how much or why. As we all know much of what goes unreported by the doctor and sometime by the one having a negative result. We have only touched the surface
Westchase

On the internet and interviewing three doctors.

Hi, I think it's important to note that IPL is not a laser treatment. It's pulse light. I don't believe the industrial laser warning link is relevant, it's a very different usage. I see you've had a chemical peel, do you think that some of the negative effects you're experiencing could be related to that procedure?
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Get a life.. Even people with the damage are not going around writing nasty messages to those that harmed them.. What's in it for u?
http://web.princeton.edu/sites/ehs/laserguide/sec3.htm That article tells it all! There's no way I would let a laser anywhere near my face. Ever!
I am 5 montages after my last treatment and it continues to get worse. My face looks like a deflated balloon. It looks like I lost 50lbs.
5 months
If you think that tells you it all you should go to Pubmed.com and look under testing of lasers on skin. If you see what test allows the FDA to ok this procedure it is really something that will have you question its safety
w
I was about the same. Day by day my skin is burned away, then I fear the kind of work being. But today I am out of danger. It is the contribution of Mr. Oslo of medspa. I am also grateful to him. Because he was my IPL.
I have the exact same situation as you indentations, almost like a branding on cowhide. Railroad track indentations all over face after 4 ipl/genesis treatments. 1 every three weeks. Last one was a new machine for genesis on a stronger setting. She said I was treated roseasea. I have never had roseasea. Never diagnosed with it. Just freckles. Will this go away? Likes all over. Not burn marks but deep indentations. Please help. To that did it said it was a reaction. Plastic surgeon said it was dryness and derm. Said to put hydrocortisone on it. It's been 12 days
Hey Daisy I know it is scary. When it happened to me I was afraid to wake and look at myself every morning to see the damage. I had a plastic surgeon say my skin was just dry and did dermaplaning on me slathered me with heavy cream and said it will get better. It didn't. My advice is number one take pictures outside of your face both sides and one from the front. Do this weekly so you can show your doctor if it progresses you have visual proof. Hydrocotisone and Retin A just burned my skin. It is just to sensitive now and I can not use them. Ask your doctor for products that has been used for burns. Even though you may have not blistered that is what I believe that has happened to us. Make him follow up on your progress. Did he take any pictures of your skin before the treatments? If had not try to find current pictures of yourself and enlarge them if you have to. Doctors for the most part try to dismiss that this happens. I went to health store got supplements to help from the inside and organic skin products that have oils from nuts, seeds, and fruits. At least for now stay away from harsh chemicals that bleach or peel your skin. They will only make your skin more sensitive and thinner. Look at labels that say cellur repair. Stay out of the sun even when you are driving wear sun block. Good Luck with your doctor and your healing.
Thank you for responding. I am so scared. I have an eight year old and am so depressed that I did this and all I can think about is fixing it. He's need my attention and I can't concentrate on anything. The indentation railroad tracks and lines don't ever go away. What about fat graphing or filler? I am so desperate now for any info I can get. I am sick to my stomach. Does it get worse over time?
No photos were taken but the plastic surgeon did have pictures from a year ago when I had another procedure. My skin is burning on fire Nd the dermatologist would not even tell me it's burnt. What do put on your skin. Can I ever go out in the sun again? I love outdoor activities and feel like my life is ruined. I am scared to see if the damage continues.
Oh you can go outside again but this summer I would be very careful when going in the sun always wear a block, not just spf sun protection. When you can add a hat. They should of told you no tanning after any treatment even if chemicals peels or laser treatments. Go back with photos in hand that show your past skin and current to the plastic surgeon that did the procedure. If you are olive skin or have hyperpigmentation I found is a product called Yellow Cream by Dermaceutic really helped me with brown spots. Some have said derma stamping/rolling has helped them I am still looking into this procedure.I plan to go the person who has down my botox and have a somewhat hidden area and have a patch test area first. I am staying away from anything that says thermal or has heat involved. I believe we have been cooked by lasers. Also yes fat grafting this one viewer "Neverevergiveup" has gone to a Dr Cohen. Why I say go back to your doctor who did this needs to hopefully own up to it. Everything cost us money and the last procedure takes money and down time. Want to read up on this a little bit more. I find I have to use serums layered with lotion and than a block. Botox has helped around my eyes for sure about 200-300 about 4 times a year. It does lift your upper face and your spirits with it. Just use gentle products on your skin. You sound that you are younger than myself which is on your side since your skin recovers soon. You also take a dive on collagen and elastin after 30 and ever year after. I am over 50 so it will be more difficult for me. Don't panic and look for another derm doctor also maybe look for one that specializes in skin burns in your area. You sound like a fighter to me don't let that doctor sweep you under the carpet. Also get the info you need brand of laser. what they had it set at and file with the FDA and the BBB to report the damage. Don't give up keep us posted. Take a deep breath and best of luck on your quest.
I can't speak for everyone but it does get worse over time for some. Dependent on how many IPLs you've done, your skin's health, your diet and whether you stay out of the sun. A lot of times you see the aftermath several months to years later. It's disheartening that doctors are allowed to respond on here and remark that it's such a wonderful procedure. I've attempted to address the horror with the medical community on here, but the site owners refuse you much room to discuss. Their bread and butter are the doctors, not the real stories that we are trying to address. Also if you had an older machine or not, and the strength used. HTH
OMG I am so sorry this happened to you!! I do see a difference in your skin in your before and after pictures. Why, why do doctors say this is good for the skin??? It's scary because this is said to be such a safe procedure. I recently posted a question about IPL here because I think I was damaged too (no doctor has responded yet).... I posted pictures, I too have odd lines on my face now and some really bumpy soft skin on my temples (one side is worse than the other). I just want to give you a big *hugs* and I hope your skin recovers.
Thank-you Lilly I know you understand. At first you think it is temporary and just part of the healing because that is what doctors tell you. I guess than I thought it was my imagination but the photos tell you the truth. That is why photos are so important because you will start to doubt yourself. I looked at your pictures and you have the same marks/scars/damage as so many others. My advice anything you do even a topical cream start with a small test area I use my forehead when you go try anything. My skin is not the same and is now very sensitive. I am positive the postings here are a small percentage of those with damage. I went back to my doctor and she never notified anyone so bad side effects are rarely reported. Just look on the FDA website under medical procedures and you will see those you have had to go around the doctors and medspa owners to report damage. I believe is not just those who operate the machines but unknown factors on how different skin types react. Thanks again for acknowledging my story and I hope you find a way to heal and a doctor who will help you. ;)
The thing is too, I have read the forums and some people are very mean about responding to women who say they have been damaged. I think that is crazy because women their skin and detect any slight change. Like me for instance, I know it's not my imagination because I look at my skin and feel it every day when i put my makeup on and when i put my cream on at night. I KNOW my skin and it is changed. :/
*Typo: Women know their skin. (wish there was an edit function here)

I am very sorry for your unpleasant experience but thank you for sharing with RealSelf.