Smiling Bigger! - Tampa, FL

I always had a crooked smile, not just with...

I always had a crooked smile, not just with crowded bottoms or a front tooth that stuck out a bit; but just a generally lopsided grin. I never let it bother me until I turned about twenty-five. My (very trusted and awesome) dentist had always been subtly suggesting it for overall health for the past few years. I finally made the decision to get Invisalign this past summer.

The price is a doozy, but the feeling of being healthy and not being afraid to just smile wider and brighter are going to make this worth it. Straightening teeth isn't necessarily a superficial process; my crowded teeth don't get as much attention with the tooth brush, and my dentist had warned me about all kinds of problems that could come up with age.

The process itself has been really good! However, I say this now with a week and three days under my belt. I have not received my attachments yet. I believe I'm getting them in two more weeks. The first week was a definite challenge, like many others reviews I've read - the pain was pretty intense. I don't feel as though I was adequately warned about the pain, but then I might've been half-listening with all of my excitement.

To describe the pain, it mostly had to do with the sharp edges. I never ended up filing them but the pain did disappear after day three. The other elements of discomfort were the aligners just working, I suppose. I felt very anxious with the pain, almost trapped/claustrophobic. I was having kind of a steady stream of anxiety attacks over the idea of the next eighteen months being like that. The feelings lessened every time I woke up, and each day got better. I'm curious (read: worried) to see how the next set will feel, but at least I'm aware of the light at the end of the tunnel.

As for people noticing them - it was not happening! Friends didn't notice them until I pointed it out. The only difference I noticed is a slight lisp I acquired - but like the pain in the beginning - it seemed to lessen in time as well. I only hear it if my mouth is dry.

If I had any advice it would be to make sure your orthodontist comes recommended, preferably by your dentist (and hopefully you have a great dentist)! After doing some accidental research on aligners, I don't know if I would have been so easily persuaded to spend the money had I been in a different office. There was just something very reassuring about the place I went to (as well as the doctor). If you don't have a place recommended to you, do your best to research - put in the time to find out the best place for you. Go through the pain of many consultations until you have the perfect fit, and your check list of "Must haves" are complete.

I'm kind of excited about the next set, and will try to keep updating how everything is feeling/going. Hopefully with pictures next time!

Hello, and welcome to our Invisalign community!!  So happy you're finally doing this for yourself, and your health.  Most people don't realize what a huge impact their teeth have on their health, and people who had braces when they were young and have kept up their retainers have no need to think about it :D.

Unfortunately, I just don't think there's any way to really warn people about the pain :-/.  Not only is it different for everyone, but how do you describe it?  I think even the most informed people just know that it will hurt, but don't understand how.

Everything sounds normal, though, and it is generally a pattern, that when you first put in your tray, it'll be kind of pressure, not pain; but over the next 8-12 hours, the pain will blossom.  After 2-3 days, it's usually much better, then the tray gets looser and looser until you put in the second, and it starts over again--but usually less painful.  The attachments will make the next tray about as bad as the first one again, but it lessens quickly.  You may have sores in your mouth from the attachments.  Use orthodontic wax as needed!  And then your mouth toughens up and it's mostly smooth sailing from then on--(in the same pattern, of course, with pain when you switch trays--try switching just before bed! It helped me and lots of others on here tremendously!)  Occasionally one tray will be way worse than the others, but by then you're a pro.

Also, do post pictures if you can!  I know you were planning on it :).  It really helps with the motivation, and you will need it around tray 8 or so.  I mean, you'll need it now as well, but hopefully you just saw your ClinCheck and you've got it :D.

Usually I give a list of others who are kind of in the same situation as you in one way or another, but I prefer to see teeth first.  I can give you a couple of new starts though :).

kimberleigh86 started August 19th, and
Cyndymike started August 20th, as did Jessea.

Feel free to ask me for help finding people as well, just let me know!

I look forward to following your progress!
Dr. Gregory Dyer D.D.S, M.S

Dr. Dyer is awesome. More than just having a helpful staff, a beautiful, welcoming (super clean, with state of the art equipment) office, he put me at ease. I felt like I was in expert hands, not just by the doctor himself but his entire staff. All very friendly, community driven, and knowledgeable.