Planning Explantation but Scared! - Tampa, FL

I have 26 yr old silicone implants that are...

I have 26 yr old silicone implants that are causing pain! I'm 61, very tiny (100 lbs) and worried about how my breasts will look! I'm a full C, but came from an A. I've had 2 consults about replacing the implants. Dr's seem to want to replace!! Now I've had a consult for just explantation! Went well! Having a 2nd opinion Thurs.

Had my 1st consultation for explanting without...

Had my 1st consultation for explanting without replacing. A female P.S. She was very open to the idea of not removing the implants. She said the outcome should be fine, but of course no absolute guarantee. I asked if she thought my nipples would collapse or look disfigured. Her answer was there was no way to know for sure until going in and seeing what everything looks like. She didn't recommend a breast lift. I felt comfortable with her and liked her and the staff. My only concern was when I asked to see some pre & post op pictures of some she'd done, she said O.K. However, when I was checking out her staff said they would have to get patient's permission before showing me any pictures? They said they would do that and email me some pictures. Never heard anything, so I emailed and asked. The reply was from the front office saying they hadn't gotten any yet, but were working on it. Then, went on to say I should go online and find various photos of just anyone that went through this type of surgery! It made me feel a little put off, number one and why is it so difficult to see a picture of "her" work, not just "anyone"! Is this a red flag? Has anyone else had a problem requesting to see photos? It's not like there"s a name on the photo. It's a chest only!? Any thoughs?
The doctor has very good credentials and says she's done explantation but no pics.
I have a second consult Thursday with another P.S. so I can compare I guess. I'll ask again about pictures!
I had my silicone implants out 8 months ago after them being in for 30 years. My ps was more than happy to do the explants and never tried to talk me into new implants. At 56 I was way over the implants and really didn't want them again, I didn't care how new and improved they are. I instead opted to have my asymmetrical breasts corrected with fat transfer to the breast. I am 5 days out from surgery and so happy with symetrical breasts that are all me.
Hello kpett, I live in the Tampa area and I saw a few PSs also before my explant. I finally decided to go with Dr. Paul Albear in Wesley Chapel. He was recommended by my gyn and I really liked him. He's the only one that didn't try to talk me into reimplanting, and he was honest about a lift. He told me to wait six months and then decide as my outcome may not be so bad. I had my implants for almost 30 years and had the same concerns as you. And you know what? He was right! The end result wasn't as bad as I feared. I think he's a really skilled surgeon. I believe he does breast reconstruction at Moffitt Cancer Center and I know that he's the chief of plastic surgery at the Tampa VA and both of those scenarios are challenging to a surgeon. And of course you can see an example of his work on my profile..lol.
I see you live in Tampa, I live in St. Pete!! Have you looked into Dr. Robert Rehnke, he is located in St. Pete. I had a consult with him and really liked him, once I save up I plan on going to him for my explant surgery!

I had my 2nd consultation today. It went really...

I had my 2nd consultation today. It went really well and the doctor took time, explained the procedure and made me feel very O.K. with not wanting to replace my implants!
She has excellent credentials and does a lot of work with reconstructive breast surgery with cancer patients, as well as plastic surgery. Her hospital affiliation is with a large cancer hospital and 2 others. My last consultation, although I liked her, did not do a breast exam. Only did measurements. This Dr. did a good exam, as well as measuring. First doctor did not ask for pre op bloodworm. I actually brought it up and she said if I want to? The doctor today asked for pre op bloodwork and an EKG because I'm 61. So, were you asked to do bloodwork prior to your surgeries? I assumed going under general anesthesia one would get bloodwork and not an option.
Today's doctor did explain that they do have to have a patients permission to show their photos.
I thought the Dr. I saw last week was putting me off about seeing photos, but when I came home today there was an email saying they had two photos I could see.
I'm feeling like both doctors are good, but maybe the one today was just more through and has that extra expertise with many types of breast surgeries, including explantation. So my feeling was to go with the doctor I saw today! I scheduled surgery for April 26th!! Having labs done April 12th. The surgery is done at a hospital outpatient and the cost of the labs is included in the facility charge. Also, this doctor today seemed very positive about submitting it to my insurance due to rupture. The other Dr. was rather negative about trying.
Now, I count down to 4/26!!!! Hate anticipation, but it feels good to have found a Dr.!! I'll be counting on continued support from this site and will keep you updated! Thank you for being here everyone!!
good luck to you. I had mine removed after 26 years . Almost 3 months post op and aside from a shy nipple I am pleased with results. Hope all goes well for you..
I'm glad you found a doctor that you feel good about. That makes everything else go smooth. You'll do great and the results that you will get will amaze you. I was totally surpise that at my age the boobs could bounce back like they did.
It's good to hear how you found a surgeon who really listened to what you want and respected that. Looking forward to hearing how your procedure goes!

So, starting to get nervous but excited! I will go...

So, starting to get nervous but excited! I will go in for pre-op photos on Tue. 4/9 and blood work etc.. on 4/12! Surgery is 4/26!!
Does the doctor tell you what type of sports bra to buy? Would like to find something with a front closure to start.
I'm so excited for you!! I'm sure the PS office will have suggestions regarding bra or compression garment. Can't wait to see how things progress for you. Wishing you health!
Thanks all for the input. My problem seems to be because I'm so thin and need a 32A or B I'm not finding that small of a size.
My doctor suggested a zipfront sports bra from JC Penny. I got three of them. They weren't too expensive... Around $15 I think. The nice thing about this bra is that the band doesn't roll up. I had that problem with my genie bra and it really irritated my incisions as they were underneath my breast. Good luck on the 26th. It will be here before you know it.

All pre-op bloodwork completed today at the...

All pre-op bloodwork completed today at the hospital! Everything is set, paid for and a go for Fri. 4/26!! The surgery will be done at the hospital's outpatient day surgery facility. Everyone was very nice and comforting! Talked with Anesthesia and something to prevent nausea will be added to my I.V. Would hate to wake up feeling sick! So, my countdown begins. Guess I'll try to stay busy and try not to be too anxious! I keep thinking 2 weeks from tonight I'll be implant free and home on the road to recovery! Thanks everyone for your stories, encouragement and moral support!! This site has given me so much insight and hope for a good outcome! I will keep you posted after surgery!!
Thanks for your post. I am scheduled for a consult with a local St Petersburg Dr next week and I'm a bit nervous about it. I am 59 and have had implants since I was 27, but they after my latest mammogram the radiologist suggested that I might want to have them removed as they seem to be degrading. That did it for me...I've heard the stories about silicone leaks! My mind is made up, but the cost makes me cringe. I will follow your progress, we may have the same 'female' Dr.
I just had my pre-op blood work and ekg etc. too; I am just one day before you so we are on a very similar path! I am 68 and have had my implants for 32 years, we can cheer each other on - time is flying by but I have to admit, in bed at night I have to keep myself focused on positive thoughts. God bless everyone on this site!
The best of luck to you! Good to know I'm not alone and someone out there is in my time frame and age! I will definitely have you in my thoughts and prayers on 4/25!! Please let me know how your doing post op! I know what you mean about those nighttime thoughts or quiet time! Stay positive. This site has sure been a big help too so many and I'm very grateful too have found it! More later.

Had surgery yesterday!! All went well. Everyone...

Had surgery yesterday!! All went well. Everyone at the surgical center was so nice. I have drains, which are a little uncomfortable, but not bad. I think today I'm a little more sore than yesterday, but probably the anesthesia was still with me. Hard to sleep on my back! Tried a recliner & then lots of pillows but made do.
Turned out neither of the implants were ruptured, so that was a relief. Was worried about having silicone floating around in me.
I think the drains will be in another 3 days. Depends how much drainage there is. I did not have a lift. So now, the anticipation of seeing them! I'm prepared for them to look very different but that's O.K. It feels so good to have this behind me! I'll try sending pictures later. Thank you all for much needed support!!
Thinking lots about you today - hope you are doing well and relaxing. Drains are a pain but mine seem necessary so what can you do? Sure feels good to be on the other side doesn't it? Relax and baby yourself, you deserve it.
Hi Back to just me! I'm doing well. Only used the pain med for a day and a half. Tylenol seems fine now. Pain meds make me feel strange! I have drains but seems to be getting pretty minimal amounts as of today. I think the doctor said they could come out Tue. or Wed. Is there a reason your drains will be in a week? May just precaution, which is a good thing. A little tough sleeping on my back, but I figured out a way, with a lot of pillows, to turn slightly on my side. That was much better! I'm resting, even though I feel I could do more. My husband has been so sweet. He bought flowers and is cooking and waiting on me! He's my angel and I'm blessed to have him!! Have you peeked under the dressing and bra yet? I just did take a peek and looks OK, not great, but I'll take OK! Hopefully, as others have said, they'll fluff up some. Not a worry though. A nice bra will do just fine. Hope your doing well. I was thinking about you last Fri. & saying a prayer for both of us! Rest up. I will update as we go.
Hi kpett, I don't know why my drains are in for a week other than the fact that my doctor and I are at complete opposite ends of the state. I don't mind them too much. I did not have any dressing under the compression bra but I know that many do. Makes you wonder what dictates the different treatments. My two sides had very different situations and I have to say that they feel very different to me, both inside and how they look on the outside. Glad you are feeling well and resting comfortably. Anxious to hear from you again.

Four days post op!! My drains came out yesterday!...

Four days post op!! My drains came out yesterday! Yea, what a good feeling to not have those things in!!
Didn't hurt, just a bit of a tug and they were out. Not as bad as I anticipated! Well, anticipation is often worse than the actual thing right?!! Was told to still do nothing and keep resting. Will see the doctor again in 3 weeks. Was glad to get the surgical bra off. It wasn't very soft & comfie! I have a Champion zip front sports bra on now. Better, but not as soft as I'd hoped. Anyone have ideas on comfie, soft bras that still keep things in place? Is the Genie bra a good one? I'm very small and smushed so wonder what are some good fits for teeny tiny's??
I can sleep on my side so that helps. Still tender where the drains were but to be expected.
So, on the slow road to recovery and so hoping that things will fill out some!! Patience is a virtue I'm trying to improve on! To all of you strong and fabulous women who have made this journey, or are in the process of making it, stay strong in what your believe is right for you! Everyone's support and advice have been my rock! Will keep you updated. Keep me posted all of you recent explantee's on your progress!
Thanks so much to all!!
Had my explant and lift on June 5th and I'm so sore. I knew it would be rough when the Dr. told me, post op, that both implants had ruptured...which means a lot of scraping and drains for 5 days. Still I had a great experience with the Dr and staff and I know all will be fine in time. I do not regret going back to the 32A club. I'll be 60 in August and at our age we should be happy in who we naturally are! Be brave!
You are so right, pjstpete!  Being small and natural is the way to go!!  :-)
Thanks for the encouragement, Explanting Texan, I had a "Oh no, what have I done" moment when I changed the dressings yesterday. I'm hoping the shape and scaring will improve with time. I don't have a lot of fat in the breast area, never did, so I'll play the waiting game. I'm off the pain meds now, but seem to be very swollen (fluid retention?) everywhere. Having a difficult time sitting around and can't wait to get back to work on Tuesday. Hope everyone out there in Explant World is doing well...
Dr. K. Wells

I've chosen providers with reviews and ratings from various Internet sites, as well as Board Certified Plastic Surgeons sites.