Scars, Dents and Redness Left from Laser Surgery Months & Even Yrs Later - Tampa, FL

I had Erbium laser 2yrs ago when i was 53. After...

I had Erbium laser 2yrs ago when i was 53. After the surgery I was left with more scars only worse, a dent in my cheek, very noticable & a huge patch scar around my old scars. Not to mention all the redness for months after.

Pro none

Cons scars, dents, redness, pigment change

Went under for Erbium laser in 07. Doctor said he thought a level 6 was best, said to get it done in one shot instead of coming back and forth. He was the doctor so i agreed.

The first week i didn't sleep, hurt too much. For the next 2 weeks I noticed some parts of my skin looked redder and it looked to me that scars were showing up,then on my left cheek I noticed my skin had a brown dent & on my right cheek a huge patch that looked like a big round scar around my previous scars. I showed him them. At first he said it would go away.

When i came back because the problems looked worse he completly dismissed me. So nice in the beginning, said if any problem came up he could take care of them. Well problems came up & he acted like he didn't want to know me.

Updated Nov 11, 2009

Went to a doctor in Tampa for facial resurfacing for acne scars. He suggested an Erbium laser.

Horrible horrible results. More scars only larger than what i had, dents in my cheeks, pigment change & red for months. Scars all over my cheeks. Layers of skin taken off so it looks like I skimmed my cheeks along with texture changing. Now I get whiteheads & my skin feels thin.

I've been going through so many laser treatment to build up the scars along with IPL treatments for the redness & fillers for the really bad scars. Nightmare seriously.

I have gone throuh Fraxel 2 times, Smoothbeam 2 times, pixel 1, ipl for redness that helped. Affirm seems to helped a bit but its taking so long and their still so deep. What would you suggest? Fillers? more laser? I am at the end of my rope spending so much money only to be stuck at home. Hate looking in the mirror and only go out when i have to. Any suggestion would be helpful Thanks

Looked up more on Dr Jasin. Wish these posts were...

Looked up more on Dr Jasin. Wish these posts were up before i had mine done. I would have skipped Jasin and found someone else. Found out a lot more people had problems with him. Enter his door at your own risk. Still dealing with scars 4 yrs later. Horrible all my money goes to repair what he did and it's taking years. Makes me sick to look in the mirror now, i was much better before meeting him.

Nothing new to report except i'm still living with...

Nothing new to report except i'm still living with the scars. Trying peels now and had Fraxel dual that helped but i need more treatments. Going for fillers and peels now. Tired of the down time with laser

Wanted to fill you in on what's been happening....

Wanted to fill you in on what's been happening. Since my last post i went for Fraxel Dual. Had it done 4x's each spaced a month apart. Had to wait 3 to 6 months since the last to see any results. It's 6 mons now. I saw abit of a change but nothing to write home about. I probably need 4 more but because of how expensive they are I could get a face lift ! I started trying TCA peels at 10% & one at 20%. Their ok. Also started needling . That seems to work as good as some lasers but I still have a long way to go. I have an appt to see another doctor in June who is supposed to be good so I'll wait tit then before doing anything else.
Wanted to let you know about an exfoiant that works really great without turning you red or hurting your skin. It's called "Cure Natural Aqua" You put it on & wait 30 sec then rub lightly. The skin comes off in balls. It's amazing. I heard it helps with dark spots so this was just a FYI. thing. Check it out on youtube.com It was money worth spent.

Going in for mini lift, fat transfers & blue peel

Ok so it's a couple years later & all I've been doing is getting filler that's useless and needling which seems to do as good as fraxels. I had it. Now on May 1st I'm scheduled for surgery. I'm tired of wasting my money on a lot of fillers & I got a really bad reaction under my eyes from Juve.. That did it. So I went to a well know doctor here decided the only want to make the scars look better is a mini lift to pull them & a fat transfer to puff up my cheeks. Then having a blue peel since I tried all the others will little success. I think at this point I used up all my other options so I'm resorting to surgery. I was afraid of fat transfers too but I'm at the end of my rope dealing with this. So I will let you know if fat transfers & a mini lift help. I hope so cause I'm spending a fortune on this and I already spent a fortune all everything else I tried like oils, creams & laser & filler treatments. Wish me luck & I will give you my opinion after surgery if it helped. He said it would take at least 3 weeks before I see a difference in how I'll look due to swelling.
Dr. Michael Jasin

He should have tried a lower level first to see what that would have done. Didn't help when problem arose. Rude Doesn't know what he's doing with facial resurfacing.

Update: Found another doctor in Tampa, Dr Cross at Lecada. In the 2 months I've been seeing her I saw the most change. She did a fraxel restore treatment on me stronger than I've ever had then a month later she put Sculptra around my face. I finally see a difference. I wish I went to her from day one. It's all who you get. In the 5 yrs I've been to so many doctors trying to help fix what Jasin did to me. I was expecting to be disappointed again but this time was different. I have one more treatment of Sculpra to go then I'll have another fraxel in Jan.. So lucky I found her.
Do you have any updates on your skin journey with Dr Cross? I've been thinking about checking her out. Do you still recommend her?
Hi, I wanted to see her again in June but she had to go home for a family emergency & would be out for months.:( I'm going to call them again to see when she'll be back. I wanted to get the CIT done from her next time then some fillers. I've been doing needling which is pretty good & a couple peels. I had some filler put in some of the bad spots by another doctor since Cross wasn't in. I'd like to see Cross again but I think I'll stay away from lasers now because I've had so many & try the needling thing & fillers. So yes I still recomend her because I've had no problems with the Sculptra & Fraxel she did.to me.
Thank you soooo much for sharing this info with me. I REALLY appreciate it. I've have scars left over from acne on my face that really bother me and I've decided that this is going to be my year that I actually do something about it besides cover it up with full coverage makeup. I read your experience with lasers before Dr. Cross and that scared me. I am so sorry that you had to go through something like that. I can only imagine how traumatic it was for you. I wish I could give you a hug! So far, I've used Retin-A for a couple of years . I've also done two TCA peels at 25%. The Retin-A seems to do nothing for me but occasionally make me peel, the TCA peels helped my scars with about a 20% improvement but not enough to make me feel better. I've been reading so many reviews on different treatments and I don't even know where to begin. I really hope Dr. Cross is going to return soon because I would love to see her. If you have any additional advice or tips on the things you have done so far and would like to share- I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you soooo much once again :)
Hey Curious, Thanks, I'll take the hug. I've had & still have a rough since I had Erbium Laser done in 07. I've had so many Fraxel Restores & others I juset can't take it anymore. Since the Erbium Laser touch my skin it's just not the same. It's horrible. I'm going to try needling instead since you can do it at home but I also want to see how Dr Cross would do it too because they have the machine. So I'll keep trying it myself every month for my scars if she's not back yet then get some fillers for my dents when she comes back & have her do the CIT with the machine. I just did a lactic peel to help the pigmentation issues but that just made my face more irratated & I broke out.. I also used Retin A for a bit but it stings my skin so I always use a oil with it. But I think I'm going to calm down on that too. Maybe evrey 3 days. All these lasers made my skin extreamly sesitive. I did find an exfoliant that is gentle called "Aqua Cure Gel" you can see it on youtube. that I like. I tried the 10% TCA but it didn't really do anything but I would like to try the TCA cross, thats 100% tca for the smaller scars but I can't find anyone to do it.so I tried doing it myself on 2 little deep scars with 10% TCA , I hit the scar about 10 times with a toothpick to try to make it stronger. I think I see it starting to fill a bit. At first I thought I made it worse but it go better as it healed. I'll be calling her soon. Since I just gave myself a peel I have to wait. My skin is too sensitive right now & it broke out from putting the ointments on to keep it moist. I hope to get it done if she's in in a couple weeks. If not I'll try it again on my own til the winter when it's cooler out & have her do it. It's a free consult & she is very nice. Let me know if you go. She works at Lecada Medical Artistry on Azzele St in South Tampa.
I also have tried the TCA cross method on myself with the a toothpick since I couldn't find a PS that would do it, but then ended up applying it to my whole face. I bought my TCA kit from makeup artists choice online in 30% TCA solution but it could be diluted to whatever level you wanted... It came with the instructions on how. I did recently find a Plastic Surgeon that does TCA at his office- Kass Center for Cosmetic Facial & Eye Plastic Surgery in Saint Petersburg. I will definitely let you know if I end up going to Dr. Cross at Lecada. And I watched some youtube video's on the Aqua Cure Gel and it seems pretty impressive.
I went to Kass. Very nice Dr.. He couldn't do anything for my scars. I wish he could because he has good reviews. I asked him for the Heather Peel? It looked good but he didn't think it would work for me. I didn't know he did TCA cross. A lot of PS do TCA but not the cross so let me know if he does that! If you go let me know what he does for you. You'll like him..
Forgot to ask you.. how did your TCA cross go? What strength did you dilute it to?
I didn't dilute it at all for my scars that I did the TCA Cross method on. I did dilute it for my face. My first application for my face I did it at 20%, and the second time I diluted it to 25%. On all applications, my skin "frosted" right away. Did you get any frosting during your TCA application? I feel like my TCA scars improved my worst scars about 10%- 20%, but there is a few that it improved almost 50% (but they were not that deep to begin with) . I'm going to call his office tomorrow to double check that he does the TCA Cross method, because I really want to try it at a higher strength than 30% but there's no way I want to do it to myself. What type of scars are you trying to treat? I have ice pick scars.
Oh I almost forget to mention- the TCA left me looking ROUGH! I didn't go any where for 2 weeks while it healed. But I definitely think it was worth it!
I have every type of scar you can think of. Rolling, boxcar & pock marks thanks to the resurfacing. I had about 7 small pock marks when I went for the surgery, not big ones & came out with so, so many more & the dents on my cheek makes me look lopsided. Fillers so far don't work on the one on my cheek because the dent is right over an old mole I had that you couldn't really see before but now it sticks up in the middle of the dent so it looks like hills & valleys. The other side has a triangle around the scars I wanted gone & deeper ones right at the top of my cheekbone so I don't have a good side to turn. I got a little bit of frosting with the TCA dipped in a toothpick 10 times but not when I just did the 10 on my face. I didn't want to keep it on my face that long since my skin is so sensitive.Since I had so many fraxels to try to fix them my skin color is off. Blochy, red places.dark patches. I have a small face so they all show. I swear the only thing that might give a little help is a face lift but I don't have enough loose skin yet. So I have to wait to get old. This Lactic acid peel I did on Sun is still rough today. I hope it will be worth it. I wanted to try to get rid of the dark spots but I still need a few more days to see the results since I'm still blochy.
Glad you found a dr you trust. Hope you're 100 percent fixed. I am going through the same thing but with juvederm/hyalurindase/sculptra.
Probably you should stop having the treatments and let your skin heal. Also use sunblock that doesn't clog in your pores.
Trying to go a more natural way. Started needling, it helped a bit on some & using emu oil. Silicone strips too at nite. Had a few peels just to get all the dead skin off & try to make it smoother. Going to my laser specialist next week. I'll keep you posted. Not going for full face anything anymore. Just on the spots that are really bad. Had a filler put in some, I just couldn't take seeing the holes anymore. Had to do something. When you stop trying you get depressed. I know, I lost 30 lbs from anxiety.
I've had 3 affirm lasers. It absolutely ruined my skin! Anyone considering laser treatments has not done enough research. Those HOT lasers burn your skin 1000x worse than several sunburns and your skin will look like you've spent every day of your life in the sun and smoking cigarettes... in other words it will start to age your skin 10x faster!!! If I had known this I probably would have gone for fillers and botox instead, but now it won't make a difference. I'm 45 but I look closer to 60 now! Please stick with natual lotions, healthy diet, lots of water and a happy/positive metal attitude! You'll all be better for it.
I'm 56 and had affirm a few times. I liked it, it made my skin feel a bit thicker. Didn't burn at all, just little snaps & red after for a couple days til the swelling goes down. Takes a few months to show results. Now I'm trying perfecta. I'll let you know how that goes. I've had many laser treatments & so far they were better than the resurfacing. I would never do something that takes off the outer level of skin again.
I am considering getting this procedure for rolling acne scars and I live in Tampa and already saw a Derm who recommended erbium yag. Can you give me some idea who you had the procedure with to see if it is the same person I am considering getting it done with?

why i never got these posts i don't know but it was {edited}

Edited by Sharon: We've added your provider's info to the review. Thank you!

I also live in Tampa and recently saw a doctor for treatment of acne scars and he recommended erbium yag laser. Can you tell me the name of the doctor that you saw to see if it is the same as the one that I saw because that certainly would influence my decision. Thanks,

Just got noticed this. I went to a {edited}. sorry so late.

Edited by Sharon: We've added your provider's info to the review. Thank you!