Scars, Dents and Redness Left from Laser Surgery Months & Even Yrs Later - Tampa, FL

I had Erbium laser 2yrs ago when i was 53. After...

I had Erbium laser 2yrs ago when i was 53. After the surgery I was left with more scars only worse, a dent in my cheek, very noticable & a huge patch scar around my old scars. Not to mention all the redness for months after.

Pro none

Cons scars, dents, redness, pigment change

Went under for Erbium laser in 07. Doctor said he thought a level 6 was best, said to get it done in one shot instead of coming back and forth. He was the doctor so i agreed.

The first week i didn't sleep, hurt too much. For the next 2 weeks I noticed some parts of my skin looked redder and it looked to me that scars were showing up,then on my left cheek I noticed my skin had a brown dent & on my right cheek a huge patch that looked like a big round scar around my previous scars. I showed him them. At first he said it would go away.

When i came back because the problems looked worse he completly dismissed me. So nice in the beginning, said if any problem came up he could take care of them. Well problems came up & he acted like he didn't want to know me.

Updated Nov 11, 2009

Went to a doctor in Tampa for facial resurfacing for acne scars. He suggested an Erbium laser.

Horrible horrible results. More scars only larger than what i had, dents in my cheeks, pigment change & red for months. Scars all over my cheeks. Layers of skin taken off so it looks like I skimmed my cheeks along with texture changing. Now I get whiteheads & my skin feels thin.

I've been going through so many laser treatment to build up the scars along with IPL treatments for the redness & fillers for the really bad scars. Nightmare seriously.

I have gone throuh Fraxel 2 times, Smoothbeam 2 times, pixel 1, ipl for redness that helped. Affirm seems to helped a bit but its taking so long and their still so deep. What would you suggest? Fillers? more laser? I am at the end of my rope spending so much money only to be stuck at home. Hate looking in the mirror and only go out when i have to. Any suggestion would be helpful Thanks

Looked up more on Dr Jasin. Wish these posts were...

Looked up more on Dr Jasin. Wish these posts were up before i had mine done. I would have skipped Jasin and found someone else. Found out a lot more people had problems with him. Enter his door at your own risk. Still dealing with scars 4 yrs later. Horrible all my money goes to repair what he did and it's taking years. Makes me sick to look in the mirror now, i was much better before meeting him.

Nothing new to report except i'm still living with...

Nothing new to report except i'm still living with the scars. Trying peels now and had Fraxel dual that helped but i need more treatments. Going for fillers and peels now. Tired of the down time with laser

Wanted to fill you in on what's been happening....

Wanted to fill you in on what's been happening. Since my last post i went for Fraxel Dual. Had it done 4x's each spaced a month apart. Had to wait 3 to 6 months since the last to see any results. It's 6 mons now. I saw abit of a change but nothing to write home about. I probably need 4 more but because of how expensive they are I could get a face lift ! I started trying TCA peels at 10% & one at 20%. Their ok. Also started needling . That seems to work as good as some lasers but I still have a long way to go. I have an appt to see another doctor in June who is supposed to be good so I'll wait tit then before doing anything else.
Wanted to let you know about an exfoiant that works really great without turning you red or hurting your skin. It's called "Cure Natural Aqua" You put it on & wait 30 sec then rub lightly. The skin comes off in balls. It's amazing. I heard it helps with dark spots so this was just a FYI. thing. Check it out on youtube.com It was money worth spent.

Going in for mini lift, fat transfers & blue peel

Ok so it's a couple years later & all I've been doing is getting filler that's useless and needling which seems to do as good as fraxels. I had it. Now on May 1st I'm scheduled for surgery. I'm tired of wasting my money on a lot of fillers & I got a really bad reaction under my eyes from Juve.. That did it. So I went to a well know doctor here decided the only want to make the scars look better is a mini lift to pull them & a fat transfer to puff up my cheeks. Then having a blue peel since I tried all the others will little success. I think at this point I used up all my other options so I'm resorting to surgery. I was afraid of fat transfers too but I'm at the end of my rope dealing with this. So I will let you know if fat transfers & a mini lift help. I hope so cause I'm spending a fortune on this and I already spent a fortune all everything else I tried like oils, creams & laser & filler treatments. Wish me luck & I will give you my opinion after surgery if it helped. He said it would take at least 3 weeks before I see a difference in how I'll look due to swelling.

Update

God am I glad it's over. I was so nervous. Everything so far seems to have gone as planned but I'm still swollen so I have to wait to see. I was going to get a brow lift too but at the last minute he said he didn't think it was worth it for me to do that, that I can wait for it. I'm so puffy right now. The worst part was the dressings around my chin & neck area. Since I had drains in I had to keep the dressings on for 2 days & I'm so black and blue there. My eyes look really puffy, actually my whole face does right now so I have to wait it out. I did notice my little sag under my chin is gone along with the scars that were there & my cheeks look more lifted. the scars around my ears are gone too. He put them where they should have been in the first place so so far I'm happy. Just nervous once the swelling goes down & I see my cheeks, I hated the dents the most so I'm hoping to get a change in that area. Waiting is sooooo hard to do. If this doesn't work I'm done. I wouldn't know what else to do so I'm crossing my fingers and praying. Thank you so much for asking. I will def let you know how things go and if any of this was worth it.

4 Months out from Face Lift & Fat Transfer

So it's been 4 months since my surgery. The puffy look is gone. Looks a lot better in the last month. The dent I was concerned about is much better. Only see a hint of it. I had a dent in my nose that i got years ago that's filled in now & the dent by my mouth looks better, he straightened out my mouth, one side to me looked lower & now it's even. My 11 lines are gone too & scars on my chin look better, my chin doesn't look as long. So so far I am happy about the lift & fat. I'd like to get more in certain places or maybe a little filler in my scars but i like the fat look more than the filler look. It seems to me that the fat looks smoother than filler in my face. I still need to address some scars so i'm still needling once a month. I also bought the microderm md machine that i'll try out, just got it today. The stitches at my temple are healing, one is almost gone, still have a little on the other & the stitch that shows under my skin is going down. Still feel like i have to heal but i know that can take anywhere from 6 to 12 months to be fully healed. I see my doctor again in Oct. I might get filler for some scars but at least i feel the face lift & fat transfer helped. Thank you for asking how I've been doing. I hope my experience can help someone know what they could be in for and thank you to all those who have asked & wished me well. I'll keep you posted.
Dr. Michael Jasin

He should have tried a lower level first to see what that would have done. Didn't help when problem arose. Rude Doesn't know what he's doing with facial resurfacing.

thank you somuch for your honesty!! That is what these sites are for. I have had similiar unsuccessful results with another procedure. I was investigating this procedure and appreciate your honesty!!!
What procedure did you have done sunny689? Feel free to share by writing a review
Hi Sats just popping in to see how you are going? - hope you are healing well & happy with your results :-)
Well I'm still healing. I still feel a hard feeling by my ears & I thought I was still puffy on the top of my one cheek that makes my eye look swollen. But today I realized it's under the puffy part that needs more fat or filler to make my cheek level with the puffy part, then it would look the same as the other eye.. So glad I have an appt with him and he's giving me a vile of juve this Thursday. I look younger but still have the scars so I'll have him put some filler there too. So I'm in limbo til then. I forgot i have the appt this week & did a tca peel today. I hope I' not all flaky when I go. Thanks so much for asking. I'll let ya know if the filler helps. I also have new scars were he cut me by my temple & a stitch that's supposed to dissolve showing up like a cyst. I hope he can fix that too. He said the new scars should go away by 6 mons. Geez, if it's not one thing it's another.
Oh you take care of yourself & give yourself time to heal well k - sure your take will take good care of you :-)
Your skin looks not that bad. Don't obsesses over those dents on ur skin, I read u will never erase or get rid of them. Probably minimize them, but that's it. Ur Skin looks very nice the way it is. If I'm telling u this it's because I have indented scars on each side of my eyes carved by a good for nothing "surgeon" n I also expend a fortune to b left like this. I also have been obsesses every day for the past 12yrs over my indented scars around my pretty asian eyes, n I was only 41YRS OLD, n guess what? Just a waste of my precious invaluable time. I understand n feel ur pain. It was very interesting reading all ur efforts trying to get rid of those indented scars n nothing. Wishing you the BEST in this surgery n hopefully u will be more Satisfied with this outcome.
Hey Mely, I too have scars at the end of my eyes. I had gone for a lifestyle lift when i was 46, at that time the doctor who was a women said she thought i should take the fat pad out at the same time because when i get allergies my eyes swell up and look a bit baggy so I said ok. I was awake for the lift and eyes. After surgery the lines under my eyes never closed up right on the corners so I too have scars there. With all the other scars i have I forgot about them. My face is full of scars. Now i have scars that are still healing from the FL on my temples. I thought he was going to put them in my sideburns but he said he puts them at the temples because he said the hairline would look weird if he put them in there. So now i have more scars to worry about. I'm 60 now so I too have had them for quite awhile. I just feel like my little face is full of scars. Acne, operations. resurfacing all left their mark on me. I thought by this time with all the things i had to do I would look ok by now. I get very bad panic attacks when i have to go out. Even tho the eye scars bother me I learned to live with that but the cheek scars are a whole different story because my face is so small and thin every scar shows. I'm still swollen from the surgery & I still see the dent but I'm hoping after the swelling goes down it will look better. I can see the FL made an improvement but time will tell. He's also going to give me a vile of juve for the spots i don't like in July. Nothing gets rid of scars as far as i can tell. I heard co2 helps some but i think the only ones who really benefit from that are people with dark spots and I'm so tired of lasers and all the down time. I want to enjoy my life. It hurt when my son said to his wife that i used to be fun and out going. I don't want them to remember me being a hermit so I have to learn to deal with the hand i was dealt. All this for a few scars i wanted gone that i would gladly take back today. Thank you for your well wishes. I'll post in a month if i think the fat transfer was worth it . Have to wait for the swelling to go down a bit.
Awe;( I'm a hermit too. I feel ur pain. Wish u this surgery helps u very muccccchhhh! So u can enjoy life my dear. I'm so sorrryyyy, for all that u went thru. My comments was because in the one partial picture u post ur skin looks good to me.
How are you doing Sats? I didn't realize you had a facelift and fat transfer at first because your review is still under laser. Please keep updating. I would love to see your progress as I'm a month behind you.
Hey there just checking in to see how your surgery went on May 1st. Hope you are doing well.
Hi Sats, good luck on your surgery! I am in the process of trying to find a Dr. to perform a facelift for similar reasons...I have acne scaring that seems to look worse as I age and I am hoping a facelift will make them less obvious. Please keep us posted on your progress!! I
Thanks Kdowler, Same here, I'm at the age for a facelift too, I'll be 60 May 9th so this is my present to myself. I had it with these scars. Their so bad & a lift seems the only way to help some of them. I'm so nervous knowing it's this week & I have my mother to move into a home this weekend & next week. The last 2 yrs have been hard on me. I can't sleep & shake thinking I have to get up & see the scars again another day. Every minute of every day I think about my skin. And age hasn't helped losing fat in my cheeks. I'll def let you know how it turns out, I'm getting that blue peel so healing from that alone takes time. No outdoor fun this summer. So i'll be stuck in for at least 3 weeks. It's a long time but I've been in most of the time anyway since every kind of make up makes me break out so I stay home. Thanks so much for the support. Can't wait for next weekend when it's over with. I just hope I'm happy because it cost a lot and have my hopes up that they'll look better.
Update: Found another doctor in Tampa, Dr Cross at Lecada. In the 2 months I've been seeing her I saw the most change. She did a fraxel restore treatment on me stronger than I've ever had then a month later she put Sculptra around my face. I finally see a difference. I wish I went to her from day one. It's all who you get. In the 5 yrs I've been to so many doctors trying to help fix what Jasin did to me. I was expecting to be disappointed again but this time was different. I have one more treatment of Sculpra to go then I'll have another fraxel in Jan.. So lucky I found her.
Do you have any updates on your skin journey with Dr Cross? I've been thinking about checking her out. Do you still recommend her?
Hi, I wanted to see her again in June but she had to go home for a family emergency & would be out for months.:( I'm going to call them again to see when she'll be back. I wanted to get the CIT done from her next time then some fillers. I've been doing needling which is pretty good & a couple peels. I had some filler put in some of the bad spots by another doctor since Cross wasn't in. I'd like to see Cross again but I think I'll stay away from lasers now because I've had so many & try the needling thing & fillers. So yes I still recomend her because I've had no problems with the Sculptra & Fraxel she did.to me.
Thank you soooo much for sharing this info with me. I REALLY appreciate it. I've have scars left over from acne on my face that really bother me and I've decided that this is going to be my year that I actually do something about it besides cover it up with full coverage makeup. I read your experience with lasers before Dr. Cross and that scared me. I am so sorry that you had to go through something like that. I can only imagine how traumatic it was for you. I wish I could give you a hug! So far, I've used Retin-A for a couple of years . I've also done two TCA peels at 25%. The Retin-A seems to do nothing for me but occasionally make me peel, the TCA peels helped my scars with about a 20% improvement but not enough to make me feel better. I've been reading so many reviews on different treatments and I don't even know where to begin. I really hope Dr. Cross is going to return soon because I would love to see her. If you have any additional advice or tips on the things you have done so far and would like to share- I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you soooo much once again :)
Hey Curious, Thanks, I'll take the hug. I've had & still have a rough since I had Erbium Laser done in 07. I've had so many Fraxel Restores & others I juset can't take it anymore. Since the Erbium Laser touch my skin it's just not the same. It's horrible. I'm going to try needling instead since you can do it at home but I also want to see how Dr Cross would do it too because they have the machine. So I'll keep trying it myself every month for my scars if she's not back yet then get some fillers for my dents when she comes back & have her do the CIT with the machine. I just did a lactic peel to help the pigmentation issues but that just made my face more irratated & I broke out.. I also used Retin A for a bit but it stings my skin so I always use a oil with it. But I think I'm going to calm down on that too. Maybe evrey 3 days. All these lasers made my skin extreamly sesitive. I did find an exfoliant that is gentle called "Aqua Cure Gel" you can see it on youtube. that I like. I tried the 10% TCA but it didn't really do anything but I would like to try the TCA cross, thats 100% tca for the smaller scars but I can't find anyone to do it.so I tried doing it myself on 2 little deep scars with 10% TCA , I hit the scar about 10 times with a toothpick to try to make it stronger. I think I see it starting to fill a bit. At first I thought I made it worse but it go better as it healed. I'll be calling her soon. Since I just gave myself a peel I have to wait. My skin is too sensitive right now & it broke out from putting the ointments on to keep it moist. I hope to get it done if she's in in a couple weeks. If not I'll try it again on my own til the winter when it's cooler out & have her do it. It's a free consult & she is very nice. Let me know if you go. She works at Lecada Medical Artistry on Azzele St in South Tampa.
I also have tried the TCA cross method on myself with the a toothpick since I couldn't find a PS that would do it, but then ended up applying it to my whole face. I bought my TCA kit from makeup artists choice online in 30% TCA solution but it could be diluted to whatever level you wanted... It came with the instructions on how. I did recently find a Plastic Surgeon that does TCA at his office- Kass Center for Cosmetic Facial & Eye Plastic Surgery in Saint Petersburg. I will definitely let you know if I end up going to Dr. Cross at Lecada. And I watched some youtube video's on the Aqua Cure Gel and it seems pretty impressive.
I went to Kass. Very nice Dr.. He couldn't do anything for my scars. I wish he could because he has good reviews. I asked him for the Heather Peel? It looked good but he didn't think it would work for me. I didn't know he did TCA cross. A lot of PS do TCA but not the cross so let me know if he does that! If you go let me know what he does for you. You'll like him..
Forgot to ask you.. how did your TCA cross go? What strength did you dilute it to?
I didn't dilute it at all for my scars that I did the TCA Cross method on. I did dilute it for my face. My first application for my face I did it at 20%, and the second time I diluted it to 25%. On all applications, my skin "frosted" right away. Did you get any frosting during your TCA application? I feel like my TCA scars improved my worst scars about 10%- 20%, but there is a few that it improved almost 50% (but they were not that deep to begin with) . I'm going to call his office tomorrow to double check that he does the TCA Cross method, because I really want to try it at a higher strength than 30% but there's no way I want to do it to myself. What type of scars are you trying to treat? I have ice pick scars.
Oh I almost forget to mention- the TCA left me looking ROUGH! I didn't go any where for 2 weeks while it healed. But I definitely think it was worth it!
I have every type of scar you can think of. Rolling, boxcar & pock marks thanks to the resurfacing. I had about 7 small pock marks when I went for the surgery, not big ones & came out with so, so many more & the dents on my cheek makes me look lopsided. Fillers so far don't work on the one on my cheek because the dent is right over an old mole I had that you couldn't really see before but now it sticks up in the middle of the dent so it looks like hills & valleys. The other side has a triangle around the scars I wanted gone & deeper ones right at the top of my cheekbone so I don't have a good side to turn. I got a little bit of frosting with the TCA dipped in a toothpick 10 times but not when I just did the 10 on my face. I didn't want to keep it on my face that long since my skin is so sensitive.Since I had so many fraxels to try to fix them my skin color is off. Blochy, red places.dark patches. I have a small face so they all show. I swear the only thing that might give a little help is a face lift but I don't have enough loose skin yet. So I have to wait to get old. This Lactic acid peel I did on Sun is still rough today. I hope it will be worth it. I wanted to try to get rid of the dark spots but I still need a few more days to see the results since I'm still blochy.
Glad you found a dr you trust. Hope you're 100 percent fixed. I am going through the same thing but with juvederm/hyalurindase/sculptra.
Probably you should stop having the treatments and let your skin heal. Also use sunblock that doesn't clog in your pores.