Best Decision I Ever Made! Syracuse, NY

I began to have acne at a young age, and I...

I began to have acne at a young age, and I continued to break out for most of my teenage years. After months of barely any zits, I decided to take my next step. Years and years of acne had left me with deep scars on my temples and cheeks. The rest of my skin was clear and smooth, but I still felt very self conscious, always caking on make-up, which truthfully probably made it worse.

After tons of research, I came to the conclusion that the only thing to be done to improve my face and self esteem was to get a dermabrasion. I talked to several plastic surgeons, and on July 2nd, 2014, the rest of my life began.

Going into the procedure, I tried not to get my hopes up. My doctor explained to me all the risks of the procedure and to keep my expectations low because I had very deep scars, but I knew that any improvement would help, so I went forward.

I was very nervous, but my lovely nurse helped me to calm my fears. The worst part of the procedure was the shots, and even those weren't very bad! I did not feel anything during the actual dermabrasion, and was surprised by how quickly it was over! My nurse explained all of the care, and off I went!

After the procedure, my face never hurt, it only felt sore the first day or so. I took Tylenol, and every couple of hours, changed the bandages and reapplied the Neosporin. It is necessary for the first few days to keep the growing skin moist at all times. I did peek at it, and let me tell you, it is kind of gross, and it doesn't look anything positive. I could still pick out my deep scars, but I decided to withheld all judgment for a week. After about five days, I no longer had to wear bandages during the day as long as the new skin was moist.

I never felt any pain during or after the procedure. As the new skin began to grow in, I did feel a weird sort of tightness that at times made it awkward to smile or laugh, but the new skin soon loosened up and within a week my face felt like it had before! Except now I had beautiful, smooth skin, that, albeit bright pink, filled my heart with happiness.

I know the procedure doesn't always work, but my new skin is beautiful and without any scars. It has been a few weeks, and the skin hasn't faded completely, but I am so happy with the results! I finally feel good in my own skin, and I actually look in the mirror now, instead of keeping my head down and staring at my feet.

I would recommend this procedure to everyone who has scars, especially acne scars. It might not work perfectly every time, but I am certain it will help! If you have any questions, please comment!! :)
New York Plastic Surgeon