damaged my skin - Sydney, AU

I had light acne scars, 2 chicken pox scars. and...

I had light acne scars, 2 chicken pox scars. and perfect clear skin apart from that the odd freckle etc. I underwent laser 4 months ago at a presumably reputable doctor in sydney that specialises in facial rejuvenation . paloma emege non ablative fractional laser . worst decision of my life . Im 23 and this has taken all the joy out of life. I have a young family , have moved into my dream home , was set to get married and this has destroyed all my happiness and confidence. 90% of my face is scarred with track marks in squares . The micro dots have caused deep ice pick scarring and I have new raised scars. I CAN NOT wear makeup as it sits deeply it the creases and scars and does not blend. my skin is highly sensitive and reactive. I do not yet know how this happened, wether it was the settings /the wrong type of laser or neglect. I am investigating what went so terribly wrong. I hope I can share my story and steer people (with no real problem in the first place) away from laser procedures. I hope I can find a treatment to repair the damage. If I do, I know I will be sharing with other laser victims. Please dont get laser! The doctor I went to was experienced and quite good my fillers were fine and other things never went so wrong. The problem is the lasers ! Its too risky and the side effects are not well documented . I was told being non ablative this WOULD NOT ruin my skin . THEY WERE WRONG ..... DONT DO IT ..

Horrendous life changing damage

I was treated by one of the best* doctors in Sydney . I still walked away with damage . Don't do it .
A list of my current damage -
Texture changed ( rash texture )
Lines indents
Severe depression
No interest in life
No joy in activities
Social phobias
Don't want to get out of bed
Can't wear makeup as it looks worse and sits in deep holes from tracks
Severe phycological damage
Pretty much I am ruined.

I am 24 years old , was told this laser was safe ( Palomer emerge non ablative ) and it ruined my life . I cannot believe the way my life turned around so quickly. do not ever underestimate the effects of even the safest lasers . I would honestly give up my home to be happy and healthy again. This is a terrible fate . I never thought this would happen to me . I researched picked a good doctor and had 2-3 consults . Choose not to get laser . Then was talked into a new safe* laser.
Well it wasn't safe . And my life is over .
Whatever you do think carefully about laser and so anything else first , fillers , needling, whatever . Laser is dangerous . My story is backed up by lots of other cases on real self with the exact same symptoms . Your lively charismatic doctor will dump your ass as soon as you have a problem . Trust me .

Don't do fraxel ( fractional laser )
Don't let your friends do fraxel
Don't let your children do fraxel
Do not let your mother do fraxel
Do not let a greedy doc talk you into it .

Don't do any kind of fractional laser non ablative / ablative / fraxel / whatever do not get any kind of gridded - tracked laser !!!!!!!!

6 months post laser damage update

Still have damage . After speaking to a couple of ladies on real self and having advice from a couple of real self doctors , I think I will try the tca peel or derma needling next . I'm not sure which option to take , but I will absolutely not touch another fractional ( grid ) laser . I also know the only way to fix broken capillaries under eyes and across the bridge on nose is bbl laser . I have had 7 sessions of bbl in the past and no reaction . So I am confident the fraction method is to blame for all my troubles . I am currently using glycic acid 30 percent and retin a 1 percent . This is to help smooth out blemishes and help with the textural issues , also to prep the skin for tca peels if I still am confident to do so once my active acne has cleared. Still angry and damaged that this laser caused so much damage .

Retin A -skin prep

Here are photos from 2 months ago when I started retin a . As I've shared with other ladies on real self , I have read the clinical studies for topical retanoid . I would recommend reading the studies for anyone thinking of using a retanoid product . Some valuable info I picked up was the length of time it actually takes to work , long term ! 6 months to 2 years . There should be a gradual increase in strength as retinoid dermatitis can form . ( I experienced this from going straight on a 1 percent ) and sun sensitivity is serious business . It can actually encourage the growth of skin cancers ; so avoid the sun at all costs . It's also worth mentioning it is clinically one of the only studied and reviewed products to show collagen stimulation and cell turn over . The side effects are also documented this product may not be for everyone . Some ladies have experienced very serious reactions to retinoids similar to laser damage ( orange peel skin ) so I would be conservative And monitor your skin while treating. From what I have read some of these ladies have had laser in the past and it runs through my mind weather it is laser damage coming up months later ( laser damage shows later its even in studies! ) and they have linked the orange peel texture to the retin a and not the laser ??? Just a thought .

So the above photos do not show the laser damage . It is nearly impossible to capture the micro scarring and textural changes from the Palomer fractional laser on a low quality iPhone camera. The task is hard believe me . I will post more pictures and I will try and capture the laser damage in natural light . Trust me its there . The reason I'm trying the retin a is for collagen stimulation , and skin prep for a tca peel . I'm also using a 30 percent glycolic acid overnight serum which i have used for years. My next task is getting through the school holidays and trying to figure what doctor I should see for my future potential peels to fix the laser damage . Also thank you to the lovely ladies on real self that have offered support and advice for laser damage . Lef0x for her post on trying to correct laser damage with tca + jessner you are so brave ! and Clare3343 for sharing her tca correction for laser damage story, thanks for giving us hope . I also feel I should share more pics of my face to put an image to laser damage . It's important we tell our story's since the doctors won't . God bless all with luck and recovery . Lets find a solution to laser damage .

Damage 6 months

Here are the laser damage pictures . My under eyes are ruined . Skin texture ruined . Extreme broken capillaries . In general weird orange peel wave like texture . Very distressing . But hopefully I can find a way to fix this .

Before laser

Photos of before laser . Wish I never set foot in that cosmetic clinics doors . Life is not the same . My confidence is nowhere near the same . I would never recommend this. I wish I knew there was a serious risk . I would have never done this .

Current skin picture

Clear damage to the skin as you can see . Thousands of tiny indentation scars from the tip of the laser . These are not pores , my pores are still fine and small the holes are micro scaring caused by the fractional laser ( non ablative Palomer) I am still trying to figure out what to do . Either peels or skin needling . Obviously I'm still distressed and suffering and want to fix the damage caused by this laser .
sydney