damaged my skin - Sydney, AU

I had light acne scars, 2 chicken pox scars. and...

I had light acne scars, 2 chicken pox scars. and perfect clear skin apart from that the odd freckle etc. I underwent laser 4 months ago at a presumably reputable doctor in sydney that specialises in facial rejuvenation . paloma emege non ablative fractional laser . worst decision of my life . Im 23 and this has taken all the joy out of life. I have a young family , have moved into my dream home , was set to get married and this has destroyed all my happiness and confidence. 90% of my face is scarred with track marks in squares . The micro dots have caused deep ice pick scarring and I have new raised scars. I CAN NOT wear makeup as it sits deeply it the creases and scars and does not blend. my skin is highly sensitive and reactive. I do not yet know how this happened, wether it was the settings /the wrong type of laser or neglect. I am investigating what went so terribly wrong. I hope I can share my story and steer people (with no real problem in the first place) away from laser procedures. I hope I can find a treatment to repair the damage. If I do, I know I will be sharing with other laser victims. Please dont get laser! The doctor I went to was experienced and quite good my fillers were fine and other things never went so wrong. The problem is the lasers ! Its too risky and the side effects are not well documented . I was told being non ablative this WOULD NOT ruin my skin . THEY WERE WRONG ..... DONT DO IT ..

Horrendous life changing damage

I was treated by one of the best* doctors in Sydney . I still walked away with damage . Don't do it .
A list of my current damage -
Texture changed ( rash texture )
Lines indents
Severe depression
No interest in life
No joy in activities
Social phobias
Don't want to get out of bed
Can't wear makeup as it looks worse and sits in deep holes from tracks
Severe phycological damage
Pretty much I am ruined.

I am 24 years old , was told this laser was safe ( Palomer emerge non ablative ) and it ruined my life . I cannot believe the way my life turned around so quickly. do not ever underestimate the effects of even the safest lasers . I would honestly give up my home to be happy and healthy again. This is a terrible fate . I never thought this would happen to me . I researched picked a good doctor and had 2-3 consults . Choose not to get laser . Then was talked into a new safe* laser.
Well it wasn't safe . And my life is over .
Whatever you do think carefully about laser and so anything else first , fillers , needling, whatever . Laser is dangerous . My story is backed up by lots of other cases on real self with the exact same symptoms . Your lively charismatic doctor will dump your ass as soon as you have a problem . Trust me .

Don't do fraxel ( fractional laser )
Don't let your friends do fraxel
Don't let your children do fraxel
Do not let your mother do fraxel
Do not let a greedy doc talk you into it .

Don't do any kind of fractional laser non ablative / ablative / fraxel / whatever do not get any kind of gridded - tracked laser !!!!!!!!

6 months post laser damage update

Still have damage . After speaking to a couple of ladies on real self and having advice from a couple of real self doctors , I think I will try the tca peel or derma needling next . I'm not sure which option to take , but I will absolutely not touch another fractional ( grid ) laser . I also know the only way to fix broken capillaries under eyes and across the bridge on nose is bbl laser . I have had 7 sessions of bbl in the past and no reaction . So I am confident the fraction method is to blame for all my troubles . I am currently using glycic acid 30 percent and retin a 1 percent . This is to help smooth out blemishes and help with the textural issues , also to prep the skin for tca peels if I still am confident to do so once my active acne has cleared. Still angry and damaged that this laser caused so much damage .

Retin A -skin prep

Here are photos from 2 months ago when I started retin a . As I've shared with other ladies on real self , I have read the clinical studies for topical retanoid . I would recommend reading the studies for anyone thinking of using a retanoid product . Some valuable info I picked up was the length of time it actually takes to work , long term ! 6 months to 2 years . There should be a gradual increase in strength as retinoid dermatitis can form . ( I experienced this from going straight on a 1 percent ) and sun sensitivity is serious business . It can actually encourage the growth of skin cancers ; so avoid the sun at all costs . It's also worth mentioning it is clinically one of the only studied and reviewed products to show collagen stimulation and cell turn over . The side effects are also documented this product may not be for everyone . Some ladies have experienced very serious reactions to retinoids similar to laser damage ( orange peel skin ) so I would be conservative And monitor your skin while treating. From what I have read some of these ladies have had laser in the past and it runs through my mind weather it is laser damage coming up months later ( laser damage shows later its even in studies! ) and they have linked the orange peel texture to the retin a and not the laser ??? Just a thought .

So the above photos do not show the laser damage . It is nearly impossible to capture the micro scarring and textural changes from the Palomer fractional laser on a low quality iPhone camera. The task is hard believe me . I will post more pictures and I will try and capture the laser damage in natural light . Trust me its there . The reason I'm trying the retin a is for collagen stimulation , and skin prep for a tca peel . I'm also using a 30 percent glycolic acid overnight serum which i have used for years. My next task is getting through the school holidays and trying to figure what doctor I should see for my future potential peels to fix the laser damage . Also thank you to the lovely ladies on real self that have offered support and advice for laser damage . Lef0x for her post on trying to correct laser damage with tca + jessner you are so brave ! and Clare3343 for sharing her tca correction for laser damage story, thanks for giving us hope . I also feel I should share more pics of my face to put an image to laser damage . It's important we tell our story's since the doctors won't . God bless all with luck and recovery . Lets find a solution to laser damage .

Damage 6 months

Here are the laser damage pictures . My under eyes are ruined . Skin texture ruined . Extreme broken capillaries . In general weird orange peel wave like texture . Very distressing . But hopefully I can find a way to fix this .

Before laser

Photos of before laser . Wish I never set foot in that cosmetic clinics doors . Life is not the same . My confidence is nowhere near the same . I would never recommend this. I wish I knew there was a serious risk . I would have never done this .

Current skin picture

Clear damage to the skin as you can see . Thousands of tiny indentation scars from the tip of the laser . These are not pores , my pores are still fine and small the holes are micro scaring caused by the fractional laser ( non ablative Palomer) I am still trying to figure out what to do . Either peels or skin needling . Obviously I'm still distressed and suffering and want to fix the damage caused by this laser .
sydney

Hi, The exact same thing happened to me and I have been depressed for the past 2 years. I had it done 4 years ago and the symptoms have been getting worse and worse.. Has anything helped you?
Please write me if find anything helps- ***removed email***. I am in the same boat but I have 2 year old daughter.
I forgot to mention that I was told you can put the isshogenki supplement straight onto your skin, although I have not tried this yet, but will try it soon. I'm happy with the results so far of taking it daily and consistently as a supplement.
Thank you Gracey 77 for your help! I intend on trying everything you recommend! I am so thankful that I don't have the fat loss!! So hopefully with my Dr's sticking by my side and all the help on this site I will look normal again! Again thanks so much for your time!
No worries at all. And if you have any tips for me, I would also love to hear about what the doctor's are doing to help you too... The isshogenki supplement helps regenerate cells from the inside, and it's an online store, easy to buy. Drink tons of water... As far as what the doctors recommend for your skin, I would love to know. I bought a khiels deep wrinkle cream as it has copper peptides, but i'm a little nervous to use anything at all on my skin, so help with peels or creams or what ever the doctor recommends would be great. Can you find my email address here, or do I have to give it to you? Only if you have the time of course :)
I had a bad experience with a laser too, lots of red broken capillaries and major fat loss. The fat loss is a difficult one to fix, but for overall skin health I can share what has been working for me. I found on another forum a lot of people were having success with psoria gold turmeric cream which helps to stop inflammation and heal the skin, also drinking tons of water of course, then I take the isshogenki squalene supplement which reall helps heal skin from the inside and also works as an anti inflammatory whilst healing. There are a lot of brand of this but this brand comes from the cleanest waters so although pricey, you know your getting quality so it's not a waste.
I know I am from the USA & no one cares about my experience but I'm not the typical loud obnoxious American! I just got more real input than ever from this website!! Thanks to you ladies for posting your input & making me not feel alone in my struggle with this fractional co2 lie of a treatment!!
Nightmare!! I have hypopigmentation & red broken Capillaries on my cheeks of my face! All I wanted was a few post pregnancy acne scars gone & I end up looking like a spotted leopard! Also; if they would have said I can never go in sun again without SPF 90 & a hat I would not have paid 2500$$ for this crud that made my skin not my skin any more on top of that.. My acne scars are still there! Misinformed & very hurt! Had 5 friends go to a place in Austin, tx And they all came out perfect!!!?? Should've gone where they went, but thought I was going to better place! Learned my lesson my research... Especially negative & don't trust that it's impossible to scar someone from fractional co2!! Dr's will word things in a way that makes us think nothing can possibly happen...but they ruined me for life, I'm afraid! A year & a half later they claim they gonna make it right... I pray they stick to their word! Thanks to all you ladies input I've read!!
I had acne scars & a few chicken pox scars from pregnancy induced acne! 5 friends some of who were much darker complected & 15-20 years older than me! None of them have experienced the severe hypopigmentation I have and it's been over a year since my procedure! Also; I have Red cheeks & have never had any redness on my face before, after reading this I'm assuming it's broken capillaries. All that's been done to help this severe damage to my skin has been microdermabrasion & lotions. All my research says that fractional co2 will not cause any of my horrific skin issues unless the person is too dark complected for it & I fit the procedure perfectly! Well a year and a half later I'm ruined... I had beautiful olive skin other than a few acne scars!! All I wanted was to treat those scars & I end up looking like a spotted leopard with red cheeks!! How could they not tell me this would happen?? 2500$ later I'd rather my old skin with my acne scars!! I'm so glad I'm not a lone in this & dr's need to warn us of this before hand!! If I'd have known I'd never be able to let my face be in the sun again without sunblock & a hat due to my severe hypopigmentation I would have never done it!!! It's so depressing that you think your going to the best & you end up worse than what u started with!! My acne scars are still there on top of it! It totally ruined me! Now they clame that they can fix it all to almost unnoticeable, but I'm afraid & weary! These drs have stuck by me & are still gonna treat me to fix it, I am very afraid of more irreparable damage! I just had to vent to all these women who are going thru same issues! Because before I read this, all I saw was fractional co2 is nearly impossible to scar someone & because all my friends did it @ a different Dr. I might add.. I thought hey great! But not great! My family is so mad they call me the leopard that spots will always show!! So depressing!!
I do have to add to my comment that my Dr.'s have been wonderful through this experience, they are wonderful and are trying to fix this! They are very supportive and sincere. I can't imagine going through this without such professional & wonderful Dr.'s! As I research this more fractional co2 just sometimes does this to people's skin & it's a gamble! My Dr.'s didn't mis inform me the websites that support co2 did, and before I had the procedure I should have researched more & asked more questions. What happened to me is no one's fault. It's just very awesome to have such a wonderful support group through this website, along with my treating physicians!
hi, i hope things are getting better. it sounds like a horrible ordeal. i just saw a renowned scar specialist who recommended fractional laser for a ”mature hypertrophic” scar on my body which is in a visible area. since there is no pigment he says other treatments won't work. he told me there are no side effects but after reading your story i am worried.
I'm just wondering if you had the laser over your entire face? The damage looks so similar to mine but I never had the laser touch anywhere but my nose. I post on here every day hoping to hear from someone who had yag (for broken caps) and ended up with damage all over face. I still can't figure out if mine is laser, because it took 2 months for my skin to dry out then about another month for pores to open on cheeks and now broken caps under eyes. I am devastated and quitting my job this week because I can no longer look at myself in the mirror. My life is over at 26.
Hey San, I have a new update. I went to the doctor for my damage. He saw the holes & dents. On May 1st I'm having a lift to stretch the bad scars & fat transfers along with a blue peel. I'm so nervous but I can't live any longer the way I am. I'll let you know if the blue peel works for the pores & holes & texture. Wish me luck, it's costing a fortune but I hope I get at least some kind of improvement and some sleep. My nerves are shot from this happening to me.
Dear sats, I sincerely wish you the best of luck for your next procedures . Thank you for keeping me updated . I'm going to be praying and thinking of you and sending good vibes your way . I recently watched a doco called " the secret " about the law of attraction , maybe watch the DVD before you go in so you can be positive and attract healjng and positive energy to your life . I know it's a bit whaky but I think it's got a basic good message . Lots of love and healing going your way ------->
Good luck Sats. Praying hard for you. This is gonna fix it.
Good luck Sats on your upcoming procedure on May 1st. What is a Blue Peel?
Thanks Cjjr.. EvaG a Blue peel is the Obagi peel. It's supposed to help your skin texture & help minimize pores. You can see it on youtube. I need the works. So nervous since I've had so many procedures that I wasn't happy with. 7 fraxels, perfecta, affirm fraxel dual & needled which I think is just as good as the fraxels but I have way too many that it would take years to fix. That's why I'm trying the fat transfer. One more day then a nite at a hotel with a nurse then home. I'll let you all know if it was worth it. They say it takes up to 3 wks or a month to really see what it will look like then it's supposed to get better. I'll def let you know if it was worth it. Thanks everyone for your well wishes. Their greatly appreciated.
Look forward to your update, thinking of you and fingers crossed that you will see the results you want, you deserve it after going through so many procedures.
Hey Sats, I haven't really talked to you on here but I saw a lot of your comments. I am praying that everything works out for you and that the procedures exceed your expectations. I know how you feel - it's hard to live with this and I also want to have a fat graft and peels down the road. Please keep us updated. Wishing you all the best! God bless
Thanks lfs, i know I'm not alone on these boards , we're all looking for a solution to what happen to us. We put our trust in doctors believing what they say, putting them on a pedestal, we're brought up thinking their smarter & know more than us. Thanks to the internet now we can find out more things in one day than we could have before from others for years. I've changed my mind about doctors I ask more questions now, I'm ashamed to say i was one of the ones that believed what a doctor told me. Now I think differently. Doctors say, "Oh, you need an experienced doctor." but then you ask the experienced doctor who screwed you up & they say "it's the machine that was bad." Or, " the machine doesn't do that kind of damage" . I can see & feel the damage but to some doctors act like they never heard of damage. Please. How can they say that with so much info out there now? So if you hear a doctor say they never heard of damage from a laser, pick yourself up, say thank you and leave. He's not going to help you if things go wrong. For me this was my last resort. I've tried everything from lasers to creams to peels to oils to needling. So tired of it all, I'm tired of down time, I'm tired of waiting for peels to work & I'm tired of waiting. I'm exhausted by the time I'm done putting make up on because i wind up taking it off a few times before feeling ok to just go to my mailbox. I do not take surgery lightly. I've always said no but now after all these years of dealing with the damage I'm tired of wasting my money & hope I would always say if i can lift my face here then it would make the scar look less deep & it would help these scars if that was pulled back. I'm tired of dishing out over 500 to 800 every 6 months for fillers that have't helped. So it's done. I did it. It's no picnic healing either. I'm puffy, I'm sore & I have back and blues on my neck. I hurt right now but... so far I don't see the dent like i usually do after a filler. But again, i'm puffy. I know how things can change day by day. Even tho this was expensive I know I'll see these results longer than just months with fillers. My neck looks better & my eyes look less tired be because i was tired. Literately i lost so much sleep over this I promise I will let you know if the fat is any better than fillers or that the lift helped the scars & dents. So thank you so much for sending me your well wishes. I wish us all an answer what to do to help us after going though this nightmare. Just please do not take laser lightly Do not take if period Yes at times i thought it was ok but most of the time i would find something that the laser did like lines on my jaw or pitted marks, larger pores. Broken blood vessels. So try needling first before lasers i never had a problem from it. just time healing. Hope to send everyone positive results in a month or two that might help someone I wish i could wave my magic wand and help us all. Back to my cold compresses & hiding out for a few more weeks. A day seems so long when all your doing is waiting.
I feel for you Sats. I know that it feels like a never-ending battle. I was damaged fairly recently, but I already understand what a crazy rollercoaster ride this is. The thing I hate the most is that sometimes I'll get a bit of improvement and get excited about it, but then it gets worse again and it just kills my hope little by little. I also pray we all find a way to get rid of the horrid damage and I agree with you about the doctors. It's great to hear that you are seeing some positive changes though:)
Sats, it's been a long journey with lots of discouragement and I hope that you are recovering from your lift and seeing good improvement. I'm looking forward to your next update. I'm practically decided on a doctor and the procedures, and am planning to have it done mid June. Hang in there.
Sats, I too have the same issues. Could you please tell us if the face lift, fat and peel helped? I now have holes and lines all over my chin and upper lip and have a lot of fat loss. Please help us!
Hey k, I'm still healing. The surgery helped with the dent but pulling the skin tighter but my scars looked the same so he put some juve in a couple of them & now I have to wait for that to go down a bit because they look like pimples instead of dents. Geez. I talked to my primary doctor & he said i have to wait it out. That face lifts take a lot of time to heal & fat transfers take a while to see the end result. So I'm still waiting. I have a stitch by my eye that shows through my skin that has to dissolve too, it looks like a cyst by my eye & my one eye is more swollen by the cheek bone. I figure i have to wait for at least 8 mons to see how i like everything. In the mean time I'm needling lightly every couple weeks since it's summer & I don't want to be red & when i sweat it burns. So I have to wait for the fall. So sick of it all but i do like my neck & my cheekbones look higher. I'll probably have to go for more fillers in the scars since I'm too afraid of lasers anymore on my skin. I don't think it can take any more punishment. I'll let you know in a couple months, in the meantime I'm hiding out at home since the stitch shows too much for me to be comfortable going anywhere.
Hi Sats, First of all, thank you so much for responding to me. You look so young. Did you have a full face lift. Where on your face is the primary damage? Why do you have a stitch? When did you have the lift done? How did the peel go? You mention scars. Do they look like holes and stretch marks? Right now I hide in my house and I am afraid to do anything. I need help.