Aussie Girls Quest for a Flat Tummy! - Sydney, AU

After being over weight my whole life at the age...

After being over weight my whole life at the age of 21 I decided to get gastric banding and stop myself from a life of regrets and health problems. I am now 24 and have lost over over 30kg (66+ lbs) and I am now about 77kg (170 lbs) have had a lot of problems with my band and it has not really been in operation for the past year or so (I have had the liquid taken out of it so it's no restricted and have not managed to put on weight so I'm happy with that)

I have always carried most of my weight around my tummy... I have had a few friends who weighed in at 100-110kgs like me and have lost around the same amount of weight but have great bodies now - it's been really upsetting that I still have this bulge around my stomach although I'm close to my goal weight. I have found my tummy really demotivating and I'm hoping getting rid of it will encourage me to reach my fitness goals and get to my ultimate goal of 68kilos.

I'm relatively happy with my body now apart from my tummy. I'm happy to wear singlets, shorts (when I'm being good at the gym and keeping my thighs looking good) I have a thin somewhat pretty face, but there is still this misconception that I am fat or unfit and that is because of this gut!

I am booked in for November 18th at westmead private hospital in Sydney Australia. My doctor is dr peter hayward who seems great, is very experienced, and has even worked on a high profile case in Australia. A little girl named Sophie delizio was hit by a car (twice, once in a freak accident and again after leaving hospital so unlucky) and needed extensive reconstructive surgery on her face and my doctor did it! My mum has also been to him to remove some sun cancers on her face and there is no mark! He's also hilarious and makes me feel very comfortable so I'm happy with my choice!

I've been met with some resistance from family members, friends (especially those who have lost weigh and don't have loose skin) and coworkers who say I am "taking the easy way out" or "I could do it through exercise" and they don't seem to understand that it's not that easy. I saw many doctors before making my decision and they have all said I'm a perfect candidate. Anyway, all I need to do it flop my tummy out and as soon as my friends see how low it hangs (can't remember the last time I saw my vagina) they agree I probably do need it! I won't be getting much muscle work done as I haven't had a child so that should aid in the recovery.

I have taken three weeks off work but understand recovery will be tough and long but I'm looking forward to the future. Although I have lost all that weight I still feel I am withdrawing from from going out with friends and resisting the attention of boys because I don't feel comfortable in my own skin. I don't expect a perfect body, I don't even expect I will ever wear a bikini (and I never have as I have been overweight since the age of 3) I just want to be considered normal, and to be able t same size shirt and pants (not an Australian size 10-12 on top and an 18 on the bottom to try fit my tummy in)

Ill post up pics soon! Thanks for reading!

Faintofheart

Before and After Weight Loss Photo

Before shots

Today's the day! Just about to leave for the hospital. Here are some before shots! I am thinner on my right side so hopefully the lipo will even it out. So happy my Body will never look like this again!

2.8kg of loose skin gone

Hi guys here is my first post op update I'll make it short and sweet because I feel horrible!
Everything went well, doc said he got rid of a lot - 2.8kgs he said so I look forward to jumping in the scales once the swelling goes down in a few weeks. I'm not really in pain just super itchy and uncomfortable! I have a Cathetor in but still feel the constant need to go to the toilet and the itching from the morphine is the worst. Tried to walk today got out of bed sat on a chair then started to feel faint and went back to bed... Was the worst burning pain getting out of bed! Don't know how you go home straight after... I have two more nights in hospital and I'm worried it's not enough
I haven't really seen my tummy yet but my surgeon seems very happy so I'm expecting good things. Thanks for all the well wishes guys helps so much xo

2 days post of photo update

Hi guys
Managed to have a shower today... Although it we assisted and wa a real struggle
Still can't walk far have a burning pain in the left side not sure it the stitches are pulling or if my gastric band port is irritated under there. Hope not. Have posted a photo update pretty happy with my results still a lot of bruising and swelling on the sides from lipo. Sucks about my stretch marks but what can you do hey! Hoping I get to go home tomorrow but guessing it may be Friday because I can't leave until I can walk to the car park x

Day 3 update

Hey guys
Well it seems as though I will be staying a 4th night in hospital... Not too happy about it but I can't walk yet so I guess it makes sense. My drains are still draining a lot too so I would still be here anyway. One of my drains hurt way more than the others and I don't think I will be walking until it's out.
Anyone else had the same drain pain? It burns so much it's like the fire of a thousand suns when I try to walk
Saw my surgeon today he basically told me to grow up and stop being so negative
I've been having some anxiety attacks at night feeling really nauseous and shaking a lot but it passes after a while. Just want to get better and get home already... Just don't have $1000 each night to spare!
Thanks for all the great messages about the picture. I keep looking at it to remind me it's all worth it.

3 days post op feeling better

Hi all
Feeling a little better today but woke up feeling horrible been feeling nauseous throughout the night. Can't wait to be in my own bed. Still have a catheter so not sure how I feel about getting up to wee all the time but I'm sure once the drains are out tomorrow I'll feel better. Really happy with me results so far but still not feeling it's worth it just yet anyway. Maybe I'm a whinger but it's bloody painful. I didn't even have any muscle repair... But a lot of lipo. Hoping I don't wake up with any panic attacks tonight like I have been... Horribles are such horrible places. Needed to fork out another grand to stay an extra night... But I guess it was necessary. Can't wait to get home and take some selfies without my drains! X

Photo update

Holy Moses! And this is 5 days post op. I cannot wait for the swelling to go down. :)

Side view

5 days post op

Side view two

No more fat hanging over my undies!

Home now

So I've been home for about a day now and I've been using the computer chair on wheels to get to the toilet - really having trouble walking it burns in the same spot so badly still. It's also been leaking in that area since I have had the drains out. Have been orchestrating my toilet breaks for when I have my pain killers. Still haven't opened my bowels which is a worry I don't know what the equivalent to milk or magnesia Is in Australia but I have been using coloxal with senna and it's not working. Can anyone in Aus suggest something else?
I'm taking two panadol and an endone every 6 hrs and anti nausea about twice a day when I feel it coming on just before a meal.
Still feel like a truck hit me but able to stand up for a few photos today and mum helped. I hadn't looked in a full body mirror yet I couldn't believe my eyes. My mums pretty amazed as well. Can't wait to get back to the gym and tone these thighs haha
Did you guys wear the hospital stockings in bed? I accidentally left mine at the hospital and am a little worried. I got a shot every day for blood clots while I was in the hospital (hence the bruises all over my legs) and now I'm just a little worried.
Have an appointment with the doc on Wednesday so hoping I can walk by then. Worried that pain in the one side is something wrong because I keep hearing about discomfort on day 5 but this is excruciating pain after I take a few steps and need to sit again. Anyone else experience this? When did it go away?

Weight loss before and after

Hi guys I posted his a few weeks ago with my face in it but then deleted it once I posted up my underwear shots
I've cropped out my head now so thought I'd repost them really reminds me of how far I've come after losing over 30kg. Seems really stupid that I want to hide my identity when anyone who saw these pics who knew me would know it was me hahaa look how round I was no wonder I needed a tt. The after pic is before my tt - always wore babydoll dresses to hide my tummy so excited to wear something more tight fitting in the coming weeks

Day 6 - night from hell! Day 7 - Intense pain!

After feeling so great on Saturday and taking lots of pics... on day 6 I took a turn for the worst... After trying the suppositories my bowels still would not open as there was a huge blockage and I was in so much pain I could not think. I called a doctor who came round for a home visit and wrote me a script for a fleet enema. Had my poor mother running around all night trying to find a chemist until she came home with the wrong product so she went out again and by 10pm I had what I needed. Took me a while to work up the courage to do it and when I finally did it felt like someone was sawing me in half... Then I was up til 4am watching the hobbit with the runs until I finally fell asleep. Night from hell! And the whole time trying to resist the urge to throw up. I called the hospital I was in and she said because I was so blocked it was trying to come out my mouth because it had to come out somewhere haha kill me now. Then when I woke up my stomach felt worse than day 1 post op. So tender and sore I've hardly moved all day trying not to hurt it more. I think it's gonna take me a few days to recover from that traumatic night! Take everyone's word for it and don't wait til day 6 to do something about your bowels... Enemas aren't fun. Oh the other thing I've discovered is how painful it is to sneeze I think I'm developing the flu. I wish it was day 21 already!

Day 9

I feel like all I talk about is constipation but I must have the worst bowels
After countless oral laxatives, suppositories and a fleet enema I am still constipated beyond belief
I'm about to do a second fleet enema (I got a script for two) and if this doesn't work I am going to the hospital! Scared out of my mind to do this second one because I've just recovered from the last - caused me so much abdominal pain. Can it cause any damage to my stitches or anything? I'm terrified.

On the plus side... I'm walking much straighter but still can't bathe myself or anything. Don't get people who post about going shopping on day 5 when I can barely make it to the bathroom without needing a rest on the way back to bed

A much overdue update

Hi everyone
Sorry I took so long to update! Been a busy Xmas and new year period! Hope you all had a good one
Just uploaded a few pics... My 2 weeks post op was pretty impressive - lost a lot of weight after the op was feeling pretty good
Packed it all on in my thighs over Xmas though! Went back to my PT last week going to get back on track and get my best body ever now I don't have that curtain of skin and fat clouding my view and my shape.
Bought my first ever bikini and off to the beach today - still have some pretty embarrassing stretch marks down my side and on my tummy as you can see (mine were really high couldn't cut them all off) but there is nothing to fix those so I'm still going to wear a bikini. YOLO!
I look forward to updating with some more pics soon once he swelling goes completely... Still unsure whether my hips are still fat or just swollen my left side especially... But time will tell!
My scar is looking pretty good... It's pretty purple still and it goes quite thick in the middle (the scab only just came off in that section) but it's very tidy my surgeon did a fantastic job highly recommend

With exercise I'm doing squats, lunges, lifting, weight assured chin ups, etc all fine but as soon as I try to run on the treadmill it hurts! Anyone else having the same trouble? How long until you could run comfortably?

Thanks to everyone for following my journey so far... Really looking forward to how it will look in 6 months once all the lipo swelling subsides completely

Front view

Definitely need to tone but happy to see I have some shape. You can see my gastric band port in pics it sticks out a little (see on my left side by new new belly button)

Another front on

Bikini bottoms are sitting on my scar line. Quite low! Very happy

Update 5 months on

So I thought I'd give a bit of an update -
I have a bit of an issue on my left side it's very pointy and uneven maybe he didn't do enough lipo there but it's very noticeable.... He said he'd fix it for free under local but I need to loose some weight first and come back in a few months. I plan to come back before my one year anniversary and get it fixed but my weight loss is not going well at all! It's almost like everything I eat goes directly to my thighs or lower back
A flat tummy is great but not when you have thighs you never had before.... My legs were always my favourite part but now i can't even fit into the pants I was wearing before my tt because they are too small in the legs. I read that fat cells form in different areas once they are removed from the tummy and if that's true they have definitely gone to my thighs. Very disappointing I thought after my tt I would be in the best shape of my life.
I actually pretty depressed. I feel like I've wasted my money and embarrassed myself
I haven't been able to run since my tt either had lots of pain in my hips and lowerback
Anyway my plan is to ramp up the exercise and get back to you guys with a progress pic in 3 months (the end of the Australian winter) because I'm not game to post one right now!

Anyone else had trouble with concentrated weight gain after a tt?
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Was the reconstructive surgeon of Sophie delizio and has a wicked sense of humour!