Still Unsure About the Smart Lipo

I had Smart Lipo surgery on May 1.  I had my...

I had Smart Lipo surgery on May 1.  I had my upper and lower ab area and my love handles done.  So far I am not very happy with the results on my upper and lower abs.  Can anyone tell me why I have hard lumpy areas around the lower ab area?  I went in for my one week post op appt and they told me that everything looked great and I was still swollen.

I have another appt next week.  I understand about the swelling but I don't understand about the hard areas.  Can anyone give me any help with this?  Also how long will it take before the lower part of my stomach gets flatter?  The upper part is pretty flat but the lower part is not at all.  How long does it actually take to start seeing more results?

I had smart lipo with vaser done 10 days ago and I too have a hard lumpy stomach now. Right afterwards I could see that my stomach was flater and that the fat had been removed. I looked great just 24 hours later actually, albeit being extremely tender. However, swelling sets in and my stomach looked less small and flat on day 2 and 3. Now, it looks better again, but I have hard nodules all over my lower stomach. And I still have a swollen and fluid filled pouch in my pubic area that is starting to concern me. I called my doctor and she said that it is normal and it should subside within a week to ten days. But, it has been 10 days! She told me to massage it and I should be fine soon. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Well I now have went back for smartlipo on my love handles. just a week ago I had my upper and lower abs done. I am still sore from the first lipo. It is ten days since I started this road of hope to have a better looking body. My abs are stll swollen and have lumps even though my Dr. seems to see more than I do since he can see the beginning of a six pack oh how I long to have that. I have notice that I can not wear anything across my stomach outside of elastic not good for me. I also have lumbs and bumps even though I massage twice a day. I donot have any brusing at all, thank God.My skin coloration looks great and nice and smooth. I use olive oil. My stomach is still sore. As I said three days ago I had my love handles done so of course i have started all over with a new swelling area. Well I have to go back for my first check up nrext week, so we will see what the verdict will be. I hope more swelling will have left.Right now my stomach looks crazy.
I am over 50 years old. 2/13 I had smartlipo on my upper and lower abs. Even though I felt sore I was not in pain so I did not have to take pain medicine. I have on my compression garment 24 hours, yes I sleep in it also.[which I plan on wearing for 6-8 weeks]I had my first shower today and it help a lot of the soreness that I was feeling.Afterwards I was able to get a good look at my self for the first time since the surgery. I took notice that my stomach was not even it looked a little lumpy, even though over 50 to 60% of the fluid and swelling seems to be gone. right now I don't feel any hard areas so i laid down and message my upper and lower abs with a elecric messager ever so softly.for about ten minutes. I felt so much better afterwards I notice that it didn't hurt as much when I tried to stand from sitting or laying down.My Dr. was great before and during and after, his team was the greatest with daily follow up calls after the surgery.My Dr.instructed me to eat fresh pineapple every day two weeks prior my surgery and to continue afterward to help the swelling. Pineapples have antioxidents to help against free radicals also. They have stressed to me that it's so important to message the area to incress blood flow.I hope that the uneveness that i see will smoth it self out with the help of messaging. Since I never worked at preventing a fat stomach I guess I will have to work at it now. On 2/23 I will go and have smartlipo on my love handles. I will continue to get support from all of you and will give you an up date on how things are comming along with me
Hi Kat30 Can you tell me who did your lipo in North Carolina? Are you happy with yours? Editor note You must be contacted privately to receive provider information. To contact this user privately click on their username.
I am now 4 1/2 months out and still not very happy with the results. Skin in all areas looks mottled; knees both have sunken in places that are very noticable; thighs are just plain ugly...baggy skin, discoloration, and a very noticable cleft where the smart lipo was started. Tummy, although feels fairly soft, looks lumpy & mottled, and the places he missed are very obvious. On last visit 2 weeks ago he said I would need some "touch-up, feathering, & thermage treatment". I told him I'd have to think about it. I just don't see having him do MORE when I'm not happy with what he's already done. Any thoughts from anyone out there?
Glad to hear of your similar experiences at that office. I also felt that he was unprofessional, rude and rushed. The difference between his waiting room and his surgical unit/room was big - courteous and smiling/helpful before surgery, terse, rushed rude and unprofessional In the surgical unit/room. He is a teachdr of smart lipo but his professional communication skills in the surgical unit - Very Low. Please re visit this site with any updates. Thank you for posting.
How do you feel about your smart lipo now. Does anyone know if you have to be at your ideal weight to be happy with this procedure as I am 168 lbs but have mostly belly fat. Just thought It would be nice to have some help as I do exercise and eat healthy. Also I am curious what Dr did your lipo in NC? Editor note: You must be contacted privately to receive the information you requested. This requires free registration for an account.
Lumpiness can occur with both SmartLipo and traditional lipo. This is normal with either. It will go away. If you have lumpiness, you can massage or knead the area which will help to speed the process. Either way, your body will eventually process it; your skin will become tighter and you will have a very normal appearance.
Hi everyone. I posted a two weeks ago, when I was 2 weeks post having Smart Lipo done on my upper and lower abs. At the time, I had started seeing lumpiness and hardness--quite severe, visible to the eye, and entirely untouchable--and was worried that it wouldn't go away. Now it's about 5 weeks post surgery (April 30 was my surgery date) and I am getting happier and happier with my results. After this, i'm DEFinitely writing a "WAS worth it" entry. The lumpiness definitely has gone down, almost entirely gone on my upper abs, and dramatic improvements in my lower, though there is still some but I'm sure that it'll go away, it'll just take longer. Moreover, my overall goal is definitely coming into reality. I was sort of different in my reasons for SmartLipo, in that volume / size of my pooch was one minor thing, but my number 1 goal was to get better texture in my stomach, which was really bad. I thought that I had had cellulite, but my doc said that it was actually just a disproportionately high proportion of fat for me, that was showing in a funky way--I did believe him, cause it didn't really look like the cellulite I saw in pictures; it was little, shallow dents that were just really weird and ugly. I def got results in both areas. I'm smaller, and their really weird lumpiness (not the same kind as post-surgery lumpiness) has definitely gone down a lot. Clothes look fantastic on me, and I think I'll look pretty good bare once all the swelling/lumpiness is gone, which I'd expect to be in about a month. SmartLipo was most definitely worth it for me.
I'm a 46 year old male. I had smart lipo with suction six weeks ago. Flanks and chest. I will now have 10 one-hour Triactive treatments in those areas. (Total for everything: $6,000). I am reserving judgment on my final result until the Triactive treatments are complete (but I like what I see so far!). My two cents is to give your result time to heal and reveal itself before concluding that it was a failure. Two or four weeks is, in my opinion, way too early to give up on your result. Hang in there!
I had the old fashioned lipo about 8 years ago, on my thighs and knee area. The skin is loose and you can see mottled texture from where the wand must have been scraping around inside. I would not say it is an improvement over my old thighs, which were solid but just big. I still have plenty of heaviness on top of my knees. Only thing the lipo did was suck out a bit of bulk at my hips, which did not come back. But it is a bit concave there, like a runner. Another plastic surgeon let me know it wasnt such a great job, in her opinion. I have had to exercise twice as hard in the last 9 years just to keep my body from going soft and fat. The lipo did not remove the burden of hard exercise. But please keep in mind I am now 43, which may account for the softness and weigh t fat distribution.
Yep, everyone wants you to think this is no big deal...and most of the initial reviews (pre-April) reinforced that. But it is surgery, and definitely has been a longer recovery time than I expected. I think I have had a good result (arms, back, flanks, full abs) but my arm improvement is a bit underwhelming. The conclusion I have come to regarding smartlipo and thighs is don't do it. Seems like no one is getting a good result.
Yes! I agree on not having smart lipo on thighs.I have heard only bad results. Tempted to do the inner thighs, but always keep hearing bad results.
I too was more sore than ever expected & still wear compression garments for 12 hours a day. I actually feel better with them on then off, although not exactly comfortable much anymore--just tired of it! Oh, and its' been 5 1/2 weeks for me.
I'm at 5 1/2 weeks also. I have to say that I'm feeling pretty close to normal. The only time I feel any pain is when I do jumping during my gym classes. So I just keep it lower. But I am back to exercising 6X a week and I also feel comfortable doing abs again. The burning sensation, which I hear is the nerves regenerating, is gone. I still have some irregular lumpiness on my lower ab but it's getting better. I agree, everything I've read about doing the legs scares me. I was considering it but I don't think I'll tempt fate again. Since I'm happy with my abs, back & flanks results I'll just consider myself lucky since I've been reading so many unhappy results with the legs. This website was one of the biggest reasons I went through with my surgery....the pre-April results had smartlipo at 98% satisfaction rate but it's been steadily dropping.
Thank you for your comments. However, you only commented on one of the problems I am experiencing. And there are many more than "one or two" lumps. What about the intense burning I'm experiencing? And the obvious (for lack of a better word) "clefts" on my thighs -- will they resolve? Have to be re-operated on? Will the surgical areas always be discolored?I do not see my doctor until late next week, which will be the first time I've seen him since surgery, as his nurse sees the post ops. I have been in contact by phone, as the office is 1.5 hrs. away, but not with the doctor--only the nurse.
Many people experience some sort of hard lump or two during the healing phase. These are part of the normal healing process. As many of you have pointed out, lymphatic drainage massage helps a lot. Traditional massage is also somewhat effective. Even if you left it alone, they would resolve in a couple of months. If you have ANY concerns about ANYTHING following your procedure, always see your physician. A simple "lump" to one person could be an real "problem". However, it sounds like what has been described is a transient healing phase.
How does one find out about who performs the lymphatic drainage? I'm in the Houston area.
Hi Balsuz. Did you ever find out where there is a lymphatic drain masseuse in Houston?? I am having smartlipo on the 27th and want to get everything lined up in advance if possible. How are your results now? What areas did you get done?
Ask your doctor, and if they don't offer it call around to the med spas. This is not performed with hands - it is performed with ultrasound equipment and a big powerful massager. The ultrasound warms up the dermis (though you can't feel it happening) and then they run this massage head down each area over and over again. It isn't pleasant when the areas are already sore but it's bearable to a point, and really did help me a lot.
I am also having it done in the Houston area in July. Who is your doctor and why did you choose him / her over the other ones that offer smart lipo in this area. Thanks!
Hello, I had my upper & lower abs done 5 weeks ago. I am really doing much better this week, the 5th one. I too had/have the coloring you are talking about. Mine is getting better, little by little. I have not experienced the burning you are referring to. I have read here where several have. That worries me greatly! I have many more plans for more smart lipo, my next one in two weeks on my flanks/hips areas. I too well eventually have my thighs & knees , arms done. I have the lumpiness/hardness too. It has gotten better with time. My doctor told me from the get go that I might not look so pretty under the clothes, but would feel great in them. I do. It's true. However, I do have more self confidence, have lost weight, gone down sizes & want to keep going. I am dieting also. I am going to call my dr tomorrow to ask about this burning. Good luck to you...it does get better!
If you haven't already, please share your Smart lipo results with other readers by writing a SmartLipo review...takes just minutes. Here's the form: Click here
I had SmartLipo of tummy, inner upper thighs, & inner knees 4 weeks ago. The first week was ok, but worse than I'd been told. Now I am having constant burning pain in abd. area & inner thighs. Wearing clothes is uncomfortable & gets worse the longer I wear anything next to my skin. There's hard lumpiness throughout the abd. & some in the thighs & knees. The skin looks normal first thing in the morning, but takes on a funny mottled color--not really bruised-- as the day goes on, as does the swelling. There's a cleft on the front of both thighs, esp. on the right, where you can tell it's where he started the inner thigh procedure. Will this go away? And both knees have an area that appears caved in. Legs, altogether, look worse than before. Abd. is flatter, but definitely not pretty. The doctor had a great reputation & is a "teacher" of SmartLipo. I found him unprofessional & very rushed, as in "the more procedures he can do the more money he can make". Would I do it again? Probably not -- at least, not with this surgeon. Can anyone comment about any of the problems I'm having? I'm pretty discouraged at this point.
I am now 4 weeks post-op. I had my upper and lower abs and love handles done. I had the same burning pain for the first day but I haven't had it since then. I am still unable to wear jeans because it is so uncomfortable. I still have discomfort in those areas but I had pain for a lot longer than I thought I would. This past Monday night was the first time I've been able to sleep on my sides. I still have the hard lumps, which my doctor told me just last week that it's normal and for me to massage the areas at least 20 minutes everyday with baby oil. I'm not very happy with the way everything looks yet. It's starting to look a little better so I'm still hopeful.