Hey everyone! Like so many of you out there, I...

Hey everyone! Like so many of you out there, I have been unhappy with my nose since I was in middle school. It is slightly crooked, which is not great, but in recent years I've started running, and have found that I really cannot breathe through my nose very well. I guess I've been overcompensating by being a "mouth breather" for so long, I haven't really thought much of it. Its very hard to breathe completely through your mouth while running! I also wake up daily all stuffed up with a scratchy throat, which I think is from breathing through my mouth all night.
Anyway, between not liking the appearance of my nose and really wanting to see if there is a way to improve my breathing, I have decided I'm ready to talk about getting rhinoplasty.

I went for my first consult today. Really impressed with the surgeon! Lots of impressive credentials and both him and his staff were very friendly and took their time with me. He confirmed what I thought, I definitely have a deviated septum, and he recommends some reconstructive surgery (slight). He also was nice enough to tell me I have an infection in my nose, of which he wrote me an RX for, and said if I want to have it filled, he can see me back in his office in 2 weeks for free. I thought that was pretty nice, considering the consult was also free!

I am looking at 2 other surgeons in the area, and will probably go see at least one of them for a consult. I'm amazed at how the cost varies for consult. From free to $100 depending!

I have greatly appreciated and benefited from reading through all of the posts on this site and looking at all the pictures, and am hoping that by sharing my experience from the start, maybe I can help someone else with this decision. Maybe help calm my nerves a little too :)

I will be 40 next year and have decided its time to be happy with the way I look and feel my best.

I will, like so many others, post pictures along the way and keep updating this with the latest status! I've attached some "before" pictures for now.

Looking forward to sharing my journey with you!

I Think I'm Ready!

Getting excited! Tomorrow is my second consult!! I really liked my first one. Interested to see if this doctor will notice the same infection that Dr. C. did. The RX he gave me did help, but didn't entirely clear it up, and he recommended that I see an ENT doctor next. So one of the things I'm going to be looking for in tomorrow's consult will be if he checks for and notices the same thing, and if he recommends I see an ENT as well. If not, I think I'm going to go with Dr. C. (Unless I find any other doctors in my area soon).

More updates to come!

Consult #2 Done!

Ok, so I went for my second consultation yesterday. I really liked this doctor, BUT...he doesn't do very many nose jobs, and thought since I am complaining of breathing problems with running that maybe I should see an ENT for the surgery. I don't know about that because I'd rather see a plastic surgeon. He also thought maybe insurance would cover more if I went through an ENT. Unfortunately, my insurance will not pay for any of it unless I can document a recurring infection in my nose. I don't think I'm going that route.

So, he said he would be very happy to do the surgery, but it is not his field of expertise. He specializes in the body, and face lifts. He said he loves to do nose jobs though, he just doesn't have a lot of chance to do so. I talked to his assistant for a while, and she had her nose done by this doctor, and her's looked good. In fact I would not have known she had one done. So, I think he would do a good job. I'm torn. His cost was a little higher than the last doctor, but he would do a closed rhinoplasty. Which I thought was what I wanted, but I'm hearing more and more concerns from people that closed is not as good, and can lead to more swelling than open.

Now I have two very different evaluations of what they would like to do, and this last doctor kept saying that he couldn't guarantee that I would be happy with the result. So with that said, I don't think I'm going to have this doctor do it. I'll call him Dr. R.

I went back to work and immediately set up another consult with another doctor I found in the area. I talked to his office for a while, and she was very nice. This doctor, Dr. D, has 30 years experience, but mostly with body and face, not so many nose jobs. More than 10 per year though, which is what Dr. R. does. So I see him next Friday. Friday the 13th- maybe that will mean good luck :) LOL.

All the doctors I have seen have been board certified and have shared a lot with me about their credentials and reputation. I think any of them would be trustworthy.

So far I like Dr. R's bedside manner, and he spent a lot of time explaining things to me, where-as Dr. C is more quiet. However, I think Dr. C has provided me the info in writing and has followed up showing he cares by seeing me regarding the infection, all free of charge. They also sent me a certificate for a free facial which I'm going to have done next month. More time to decide.

I'm so confused now...hoping it will all come together and make sense after this 3rd consult next week.

Disappointed :(

I went for my 3rd consult yesterday and I'm disappointed. I left there feeling sad and old. I'm sure that is not how the doctor or staff thought I would feel leaving there, but over all that is how I felt. I'm waiting for the quote to be sent to me on Monday, but I will not be going back there. It was far from home, and difficult to get to (downtown, parking garage, had to park in the garage then walk to the building- not far, but it was a lot of back and forth).

I really liked the office staff, they took their time with me and we were all very nice and supportive. They all seemed to think very highly of this doctor, but from the minute he came in to see me, I did not care for him.

He right away came over and started looking me over and saying he didn't really see what I was talking about with my nose, and that what he really noticed about me was my brow and lines and that I just look tired. I think that he did compliment me during the office visit too, but I left there with the comments about me looking tired and stuff and that is what made me sad because I had come from work, and even though its been a long week, I thought I'd looked okay. Make-up on, hair done, you know, pretty much the best I can look for a work day.

I was looking forward to the computer imagery that they do there, and they did, which was cool, but he spent the entire time showing me how my brow could look different if I had a brow lift, and if he did something to my neck, which I appreciated, but was not what I went there for. We didn't talk about my nose at all really. I also mentioned my slight breathing problems with running, and he basically dismissed that, with a comment like if I want to get it done he would do it, but that is not what he recommends. He recommended a brow lift and possibly lipo or placation (sp?) for my neck, which sounds likes its going to be expensive. I do see from the pictures how if you change those things on me, you won't really see that my nose is crooked, but I know me, and that is going to continue to bug me if I don't get that done.

I also feel like I'm too young for any kind of brow or face lift, or fat injections in my cheeks. But it was educational, and did get me thinking about doing other things to refresh my look maybe after the rhinoplasty, which I still want to do.

They waived the consult fee which I greatly appreciated, and I did get to take the pictures home, although they didn't address what I was hoping they would. I wanted to see images of how my nose could look different, and that isn't what I got. Oh well.

So, now I am 99% sure I'm going to go with Dr. C. I'm seeing an ENT next week to check out my infection in my nose to see if its still there, and his recommendations are regarding a rhinoplasty. I do not think this doctor does them though, I'm really just going there because the other doctors recommended that I do.

I have a complimentary facial planned for the beginning of October with Dr. C's office, so I'm hoping to make a decision by then for sure. if not, I may see one more doctor that I've checked out in the area.

Its funny how much you try to plan ahead for something like this and still it is not easy. By the time I will have done this I'm hoping that my nose will still be the only thing that really bugs me, and not all these other things that have been pointed out to me now.

Right now I just feel down and tired, and wonder if I should even bother with all this. Maybe a pedicure and hair appointment will give me a boost today. We'll see.

I'll update after I go to the ENT next week. If for nothing else, it helps me to write out how I feel, maybe it will help when I look back and read this stuff too- hoping I will be happy with whatever decision I end up making.

Some more pics...

These are a couple of the pics from yesterday's consult. The one of the left profile was touched up for my nose, just slightly. The one of the right side was only neck and brow, nothing to my nose.

Possible Sinus Infection?

I have come down with what I thought was a bad cold, but after seeing an ENT yesterday (this was planned based off of the advice of two surgeons so far), he said I may have a sinus infection. I guess its better to get this out of the way now!
It was an interesting appointment. First time anyone has fed a spaghetti tube up through my nose that I could feel down my throat. Yikes! The whole time he had me holding my tongue while he asked me questions, and at the same time forcing me to keep my eyes open wide. It was weird. He did confirm I have an infection and I have a deviated septum. He recommended a CT scan of my sinuses in a couple of weeks after the infection clears up.

So I have two more appts coming up. One in two weeks for the CT scan, and another in 3 weeks for another consultation with plastic surgeon number 4. I'm really hoping after this that I can make my decision. I will be going back to Dr C's office for a facial in 2 weeks also.

I am really hoping that after the rhinoplasty I will not feel pain like so many others have mentioned. If its anything like the sinus pressure I've been feeling this week it will be terrible. Ugh. More updates later...

Consult #4, am I ready yet?

Ok, so I had the CT scan a couple of weeks ago, everything looks good and I have a green light from the ENT for the rhinoplasty. No evidence of chronic sinus problems. I went for my 4th consult today. I really liked the doctor and the office.

Now the decisions need to be made. I have 2 closed rhino recommendations and 1 open. I've been researching open versus closed. I think I'm done with the consults. I still plan to have this done in the spring, hoping I can make a real solid decision soon.

I've been sick with this infection which made its way into my chest so that's been a good distraction, lol. I think i will wait to get better and let some other things in my life calm down while I make up a pros and cons list. I had to reschedule my facial at Dr. c's office due to being sick. I see them again next month now. My plan is to visit them again and make a definitive decision at that time.

Stay tuned...

Finally Made a Decision

It's been a little while so I thought it was time for an update. I went back to Dr.C today for a second consult and had a really thorough discussion. He helped me understand the differences to open versus closed rhinos and the pros and cons to each. He answered all my questions and really took his time making sure I was secure with my decision. I told him I'm confident in him and he is who I'm going with. When I asked if my case was complicated he said he didn't think so, but can't say for sure until he gets started. Regardless, I feel such relief with this whole process now that I've made up my mind. I go back to see him in march when I'm ready to put a deposit down, and will lock in a surgery date. Then it's on to pre ops pictures and treatments to help reduce swelling and bruising.

My wonderful hubby planned a trip for us during spring break so I have to push my surgery to this summer now. I think financially that will be better for me anyway. Dr.C was fine with that too. So by my birthday in June, it should be a done deal :) I want a new nose for my 40th birthday !

I'm also going to have something done about my neck. dr c recommended a filler in my chin instead of an implant. I like the non surgical recommendation. Something to consider later, since he will only do the nose alone.

Now I just have to hope my boss will give me another week off in June! I've already been off the first week of January and I will be taking off in march for spring break.

See you all online in March! By the time I get this done it will be almost a year from my first consult, wow time flies!

Surgery Scheduled!!

So I finally did it. I made my decision and locked in a date for my surgery in a couple of months. Actually its 7 weeks and 6 days from now....June 4th! This will be right before my birthday, which is on the 20th. I said I wanted this done by my birthday, and its gonna happen. Its the last day of school for my daughter, and she will be home with me that Thurs & Fri, and I plan to work from home the following Monday, Tues, and Wed. I should get my cast off on Wed and I plan to return to the office that afternoon if all goes well.

Can I say how scared I am now??? I know you all will understand, but no one who knows in my life will ever fully understand. My boss went on an on the other day about how I should not change anything, this is the way God made me, etc. It really made me second guess myself for a while. So honestly, I'm glad I put the deposit down because it was enough to keep me from changing my mind and backing out. I know I can do this, and I've wanted it for so long. I just have to do this now. But scared for sure.

So I have all these appointments coming up. I have a pre-op consult on May 22nd, then 3 lymphatic pre-treatments starting on May 31st. Its supposed to help with bruising and swelling. I will have 3 more treatments post-op.

So the official countdown is on and I feel like its going to crawl by. Please tell me it will go fast and I will have the guts to do this. I trust Dr. C and absolutely love love love his office staff. I know I will be in great hands.

I will update again soon :) Hope everyone else going through this experience is doing well. I love everyone's stories, it really has encouraged me to continue on with my plan. In the meantime, I've started an exercise program that will go through the next 90 days. Mostly to keep my mind busy and my body too exhausted to overthink this.

See you all soon!

Counting down takes FOREVER

So you've probably seen from my other posts that I went to Dr. C to get botox (twice) since my last post regarding the upcoming surgery. I really love the office and like Dr. C a lot. I'm glad I'm going to him to have this done. I go back on May 22nd for the follow-up for botox and for the pre-op consult and pics. I had permanent eyebrows done also a few weeks ago. I need to get a touch-up on them, and that is tentatively scheduled for mid-May. I'm wondering now if I should wait until after the rhinoplasty to mess with my eyebrows anymore. They've faded significantly and I don't think it matters if I get them done again or wait a while longer. I feel like its basically going to have to be done all over again since they are so light. Anyway, that HURT, so maybe with the botox and stuff, I should just let my face rest before I do anything to the eyebrows again. What are your thoughts?

In the meantime, I feel like June 4th is taking forever to get here. Luckily things are very busy for me at work, so that is helping. Its kinda funny how my emotions are all over the place. Some days I just want it to get here so I can get it over with. Other days I question my decisions on everything. Ugh! I wish I could be more confident about it. I know this is what I want. Every single picture of me reminds me of how much I want this done. I'm just really scared now, and it seems like every day I get a little more anxious. I hope that I can calm down soon and be strong.

2 Weeks Out- Let the Official Countdown Begin!

I am two weeks out from my surgery today. Very nervous now, but ready. I go to see Dr. C tomorrow for my pre-op consult and my follow-up to Botox. I feel better about the Botox, my forehead is slowly starting to relax. I am getting the touch-up to my permanent eyebrows on Saturday, decided I'd rather get them done ahead of my surgery, since the permanent makeup is pretty much gone, and that way they will be healed up by the time I get my surgery. There is a girl in some of these exercise videos that I've been doing that has the perfect nose. I'll post some pics of her so you can see what I want mine to look like. Just want mine to be straight and have a bit of scoop to it, if that makes sense. Hopefully the pics will show what I mean. My husband thinks I'm crazy for taking pictures of the tv- LOL.

Possibilities

These are the pictures of the girl's nose that I would like mine to look more like. I'm going to show these to Dr. C tomorrow and see what he thinks. It has more of a scoop to it, but in my opinion, does not look all that different than mine. What do you think?

Also, I apologize for the goofy pics, I took them from the tv while doing my exercise video :)

Trying Again

The pictures didn't upload...I think they are too big. I'm going to post one at a time.

9 Days to Go

Oh how I wish the clock would speed up. I went for my followup with Dr.C on Thurs and everything is set to go. I was surprised that some of the vitamins I take should be stopped two weeks prior to surgery. Also no alcohol! It's not like I drink a lot, but I do drink wine on the weekends, especially on a holiday weekend. Well, not this time. I don't want to mess anything up. I have been careful to stop all of that and it's been really hard around my friends that I hang out with because all of a sudden I don't want the wine they are offering. You should see the looks I've gotten. Too funny and a little nerve wracking since I'm trying hard not to tell many people. I've only told 3 friends. No parents, in laws, etc. know. my husband and daughter know, but they also know to keep quiet.

So other than being nervous and literally counting the hours until my surgery, i am trying to stay busy. I dropped off my prescriptions at CVS, made an appt to get lab work and an EKG on Tues, and now I wait some more.

After Tues, I have almost a week before my next appt, which is a lymphatic treatment at Dr. C's office. That was another thing I liked about him, he includes 3 pre and 3 post op treatments to help with bruising and swelling.

Question for everyone, I drink protein shakes on a regular basis, and I got worried today when I had one because the label said it had all these vitamins in it, including some I am not supposed to be taking, like vitamin E. Should I just stop drinking them all together before my surgery?

8 Days to Go

I went for labwork and an EKG today. Glad its out of the way. I'm going to try to add more before pictures, having some trouble with that today for some reason.

I left a message with Dr. C's office today about Melatonin. I wonder if its okay to take sometimes? I am having trouble sleeping.

Can't figure out how to speed up time either! :)

Prescriptions Picked Up!

Today I went to CVS and picked up my prescriptions (wow there is a lot!) and I'm officially ready to go. Well sort of. I have to find a button up shirt to wear the day of. I can't believe I don't own one. Its okay, it will give me something to do this weekend to kill time.

You know how I said time is crawling? The weirdest thing is that I still feel that way in general, but am amazed at the end of each day that I still have things to do that I didn't have time to do yet. Work is very busy so during the day I haven't had much time for anything, which is a good thing.

Tonight me, my husband and daughter scoped out a hotel on the beach to stay for my birthday weekend (June 20th). That helped get my mind off things, and I have to say, I thought "By the time we stay here, I will be more than 2 weeks post-op!".

In case you were wondering too, Dr. C's office called me back today and told me to hold off on the protein shakes until after the surgery, and that occasional Melatonin was okay if necessary. Vitamin A & Zinc should wait until afterwards also.

Ok, less than a week away now! Really can't wait to do this!!

Feeling Congested...PLEASE tell me I'm not getting sick!!!

I am freaking out today. I often wake up feeling congested and have a scratchy throat/voice. Today though, its much worse. I'm trying to stay positive and tell myself that its just allergies, and I'm fine. But I am going downhill fast. Normally, I would take something for sinus or cold/congestion, but I know that all of that is discouraged leading up to the procedure.

My husband called and I near about lost it telling him. He said "if it gets pushed back a week, then it does, and you can't get angry about it. There is nothing you can do if you are sick". This statement made me SO mad!! I don't want to hear that. I'm so overly ready for this to happen that if you tell me its gonna be another week now, or longer, I swear I'm going to lose it.

Drinking orange juice right now. I'm also thinking about taking the afternoon off work and just going home and resting. My initial plan leading up to the surgery was to continue working out daily and pretty much do normal activities until the day before. Now I'm not sure if I should be exercising at all.

I know that my husband is right, there is nothing I can do if I get sick beforehand, but this just makes me so incredibly sad and frustrated I am having trouble thinking about anything else.

Any suggestions on what I can do boost my immune system prior to Wednesday? If I still feel bad by Monday morning, I have the lymphatic treatment that day in Dr. C's office and I will HAVE to tell them, so I guess for now I just need to try to relax.

UGH!!!!

Relief!

So I got really scared these past few days. I went from feeling congested to having what I thought for sure was a fever almost all weekend. Literally could not sleep AT ALL on Sat night. I layed in bed almost all day Sunday with an ice pack on my neck and head most of the time. Could not get cooled down. When I took my temp, no fever. I started to think I was just losing my mind with worry and it was causing all these other things to happen. I even had a sore throat for a few hours on Sunday. Then it went away.

I resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to reschedule my surgery. I think that actually helped because I slept soundly last night. Woke up this morning feeling 100% better...for about 10 minutes, then started to feel hot again.

I made it to my appt at Dr. C's for the lymphatic treatment and during it (30 mins long) I could feel my head and face getting hotter and hotter. The nurse said she could feel it too. I was totally freaking out by then, ready to just cry or throw up or both.

Went to see Dr C immediately afterward, and he looked concerned, but he is so calm, he right away made me feel better. I kept remembering what I'd read on this site by another doctor too...this is elective, so you can always reschedule and if that was to be, so be it. I had to accept it.

Well, he looked me over and could find nothing wrong. I told him my fears and he also thought it was probably anxiety, because anxiety can do lots of things to you. So he said I could start the antibiotic early, and if it is a cold or whatever, then the antibiotic should start fighting it. Although he really didnt think that was it. He also gave me a few Xanax to calm my nerves, and said even though he is not a big fan of giving them, he understands sometimes they are helpful.

I felt so much better leaving his office. I can't tell you how relieved I am. Funny how the mind works. My mind anyway. LOL.

After filling my scripts at CVS and taking a pill each, I felt 100% better within an hour. Almost all day I have felt back to normal, and normal temperature too. Not too hot. Work has been busy as well, so my mind has not had time until now to really think through much. And now that I am, I'm starting to feel hot again. So its definitely my mind.

Just have to get through one more day. Hoping it goes fast!

Here we go...last night with this nose!

Wow. The time is finally coming to a close. My nerves are at an all time high, or they were earlier this evening. I then went to my favorite salon and had an amazing massage from a very nice young lady who told me everything was going to be great and reminded me that by this time tomorrow, it will be all over with. Ahhh. I am very ready. Beyond ready.

My hubby is baking cookies this very minute so I can have a snack before my official cut off time for food/drink. Then I'm taking this last Xanax the doc gave me and I'm heading to bed. I might have a sip of some sleepytime tea too- have to Google it and make sure it doesn't have anything in it I shouldn't have first :)

Here are some pics from tonight. All ready to go. I know, I look lovely, but hey, this site is about keeping it real. Right?! I will at least do my hair in the morning since I can't wear makeup.

Putting on the anti-nausea patch now...good night Real Self buddies! Wish me luck!!!

On my way..

Morning jitters. I'm ready though! I slept well. Driving there now. Woo hoo in a few hours it will be all over!

I made it!

I'm on meds and my hubby did not listen to me last night and updated my phone which I asked him not to do, so my phone has been acting up all afternoon so sorry for the delay..

Anyway I will post later when I can finally fall asleep for a couple of good hours. It's been on and off can't get comfortable in a recliner sitting up.

I can tell you I'm relieved it's over and for me, the iv was the worst part. But I have a serious fear of needles.

night one post op

So I don't feel great right now, not gonna lie. I waited too long to take the pain pill. So many others say they didn't find this painful so I must be doing something wrong. I have only dozed today so that's part of it I'm sure. I'm going to hopefully sleep well tonight.

Some pics from tonight. The moustache dressing looks awful because I had to get a different softer gauze, the other stuff was putting a lot of pressure on the tip of my nose. I am trying to stay positive and be patient, but so far, I see no visible changes in the shape or it looking straighter.

I know I have a lot of healing to do, so first thing is going to be rest. Goodnight!

Morning Day #2

Good morning! :-) only got about 4 good hours of sleep last night, then I was up every 15 mins due to dry mouth and a little pain. I'm trying to wait a little while longer than the 4 hours for pain pills but so far I still need them.

The doc said my nose was a mess inside, and that my septum looked like an accordion. He was pretty sure I had broken it at some point and it healed all messed up. I know he filed it down and straightened.it out so maybe that is why I'm more sore than others right now.

Overall not bad, I can deall with this. The one freaky thing that keeps happening to me has been that sometimes the pressure under the cast feels like I had glasses resting too long on my nose, and I reach up to move them and realize I don't have any glasses on. Weird and it's happened a few times. Has anyone else experienced this? Also my eyes hurt, it's like they sting sometimes.

Here is a pic from a few minutes ago. Not bad compared to many I've seen on here. If that is as bad as it gets, that would be awesome, but I expect it will probably get worse today or tomorrow.

Ok, enough for now, have to find something soft to eat.

evening of day 2

I'm going to say I'm most uncomfortable now. There is a lot of pressure image my nose and nasal spray or qtips don't help. I only dozed all day, so I really need to get some sleep tonight. Hoping I will feel better tomorrow. Bruising and swelling still not bad overall.

Day 3

Didn't sleep very well again last night. Not terrible either, but up probably every hour. Not really draining anymore and my face was getting irritated by the mustache dressing, so I think I'm done with it. Sometimes when I go to relax I feel it draining again and want it back, so there is a lot of back and forth.

Drinking lots of water, and I cut my pain pills in half last night, I think that's helped with the dry mouth.

Really have no sense of smell or taste, but hungry. I noticed that when I talk a lot or chew something my nose starts bleeding.

Here are some pics from this morning. Bruising and swelling a little worse today but not bad. My incision site seems to be healing nicely, I've been putting the Bactriban ointment on a few times per day. And using saline spray. I was able to breathe through both nostrils today for the first time in a long time.
Right now I feel ok, just tired and eyes still stinging. Headache. My nose under the cast is curving to the left, which is bothering me, but trying not to worry about it too much. It's very sore to the touch.

More later my Real Self friends!

Day 3 Continued

Feeling like I'm getting some of my energy back. Really missing my workouts and starting to get antsy. My nose doesn't really hurt, just feel lots of pressure, kinda like someone lightly twisting it if that makes sense. It's slanted so maybe it's the pressure against the cast that I feel because I'm not all that congested and I have no packing. I tried putting tea bags on my eyes for a few minutes to reduce swelling, but no change as far as I can tell. I'm really worried that my nose I'd going to be slanted or curved when the cast comes off. I knew it's straight on the inside, but with it being as messed up as it was, I wonder if it just won't be straight no matter what. Kinda depressed about it today. Watching movies to distract me. Maybe I'll try to take a cat nap.

itchy

Oh my the adventure continues....now I have this annoying sandpaper like itch all over. I took a bath with oatmeal body wash and slathered calming lotion all over afterwards. Still itchy so I called the doctor. He said it's probably the pain pills, which I had already cut down, but will now be stopping.

I am taking so much stuff right now though that I'm tempted to stop everything. He told me to not stop the ciprofloxacin. So for now, thats all I'm taking for the next few days. If the pain gets bad enough I will take Advil. He also said it was ok to take benadryl.

I think my body is not used to all these meds.

Anyway, thought I'd share the latest development of my journey.

I did tell the doctor I was concerned that my boss is slanted to the left, and he said it was severely deviated and he had to reposition it back to the mid line so he isn't surprised. He said with the cast and swelling, etc, we need to wait until the cast is off to really see for sure.

So now i wait. Watching movies to stay distracted. Now I'm afraid I will get no sleep at all due to this itching. Gonna be positive though, this is all temporary, right?!

Day 4 Finally Got Some Sleep

Good news! I slept pretty well last night. Still up every couple hours from congestion but just felt pressure, not really any pain. I was able to go right back to sleep each time too. Just had to get comfortable.
Today I woke up and still feel good, like the pressure might be subsiding a little. I only took 2 ibuprofen since yesterday afternoon. No more itching, so I'm hoping it was the pain meds. I have a pain in my left side which feels like a kidney but going to take a hot bath and see if that helps. Overall I am doing better today than yesterday. I am not going to try to do as much as I did yesterday either. My body needs rest.

My nose is so dry!!

Oh man, my nose is so dry it's annoying. I feel like my nostrils are crammed with thick gooey gunk and I have never wanted to clean out my nose so much.

I've been using the ocean spray nasal spray and a qtip to clean out just the edges, but don't dare go any further.

Any suggestions on what else I can try?

I still haven't really had any pain today, so I think that's a huge improvement from yesterday.

Trying hard to stay in bed today but I'm getting really bored.

Day #5 Back to work?

So I am officially back to work today, from home. I've noticed that it really hurts me to look down much to write etc. My face hurts...lol. I called Dr C and he is in surgery all he will have to call me back. I wonder if I can take sinus meds? The girl in the office said he may want to see me. I wonder if feeling congested this long after is not normal.

I certainly do not yet feel like myself. It's hard to concentrate on work. I also think I'm more swollen today. My eyes seem smaller. Lol. Bruising continues to fade.

Something gross, TMI is that I've had to go to the bathroom a lot the last couple of days. Didn't go for about 4 days and making up for that now. Its really painful so I think I was constipated. I didn't get stool softener, make note to do that and avoid what I'm going through.

Well just waiting for them to call me back and trying to work for now. Here are some pics from today.

Forgot to Mention

Last night my Springer spaniel bumped his nose against mine. He was sniffing my nose and then turned away suddenly. I saw stars for a second, but it didn't really hurt and I didn't feel anything shift, so I think I'm alright. I was freaked out for a while last night though.

Just two more nights to cast removal

So I got through the day. I was very congested all day and tired. I'm not really hungry because I can't smell or really taste anything yet. The doctors office called me back twice this afternoon and said that Sudafed or Clariton were fine to take, and that some people do get quite stuffy while others don't. So I guess I'm one of the lucky ones! Lol.

Took Sudafed and I can't tell a difference really. So just continued to do the nasal spray and qtip cleaning as much as possible. Took a long bath, that helped me feel better. Watched some you tube videos from others, that was helpful too.

Here I am tonight. Bruises are turning yellow. I think I will stay home again tomorrow, not ready to face the world just yet :-)

Countdown to cast removal is official! 9am Wednesday, can't wait!

Last Day With Cast

So today working from home went fast. I have more energy overall, but my nose is still super dry and congested. My stitches are starting to itch. I'm really ready to get this cast off. Scared too. I go in tomorrow at 9, praying that it goes well and doesn't look slanted when the cast comes off. I couldn't stand not having any makeup on anymore so I put some on, carefully. Didn't make a huge difference but I feel better. Getting a shower tomorrow night will be awesome. Baths are for the birds!

its off

So I wish I could be one of you that have said they loved loved loved the changes, but for right now, it just looks weird. I feel like I look like squidward. My nose does not look smaller at all, just longer. It is straight though. Doc says I have a lot of swelling inside especially on the left, so it's tilted to the left right now, but that will change. Trying to be patient. I didn't go to work, was not quite ready. Ive decided to stop by my parents and tell them the truth and see what they say. They will tell me honestly.

Gonna try to relax after that and stop stressing over it since I can't change it. Everyone in the doctor's office loved it, but I didn't expect them to react any differently. I still think dr c did a great job fixing the inside which was a mess.

Feeling a little better

I went to my daughter's softball game tonight, and although I did have a hat on, I don't think anyone really noticed much,if at all. I got a couple of second glances which I could have misinterpreted as them noticing something different. I talked to one mom for a while and she did not seem to notice, and she and I have talked many times. So I feel better :-)

Still the same

Today I don't see any changes, except some gross dried goo is finally coming out of my nose, so I'm able to breathe better. Finally!! I wish I liked it more when I look in the mirror but I'm trying to be patient.

I went for a 45 minute walk today and it wore me out. I used to workout all the time and a walk was nothing. It's amazing what surgery does to you. I'm glad I got out of the house a little, felt good. Went with a friend who could barely see a change in me, so I'm pretty sure when I go back to work few will notice. I'm glad. My big birthday bash is next weekend, I don't want to look super different in those pics. Hoping the swelling goes down some by then.

Oh also, my nose is throbbing a little since getting back from the walk. I understand now why you have to ease back into working out.

Mixed Feelings

In the last few days I've spent time with my parents, my in-laws, my co-workers, and friends. Some that knew and most that didn't.

No one has noticed or asked me any questions. I have mixed feelings about that. I go back and forth from disappointed to relieved to just unsure.

I'm glad I went through with it, I just am not comfortable yet with my nose. I had hoped for a bigger change, and I guess the biggest thing is to me my nose still looks crooked, but I know it's swelling.

I do appreciate all the encouragement from you guys, thank you for that. Im trying to keep all that in mind.
Hard part is over right? Onward and upward!

Noticing Subtle (Good) Changes in Pictures

I found this app called split pic that has problems downloading, but I was able to do screen shots from my phone to compare. Not great quality but it really helped me feel better today being able to compare similar pics side by side
. I am feeling a lot more positive about my new nose today :-)

Highs, Lows, and Swelling

Oh how my emotional rollercoaster continues. Last Thurs I went to see Dr. C, and I left there feeling very hopeful. Although I don't appear to have a lot of swelling from the outside, and the bruising is long gone, at two weeks post-op, I still have a lot of swelling on the inside of my nose, and a lot of "crusties" as Dr. C calls them. He is convinced I have allergies, so I am still clogged up, but not to a level where I should be on an antibiotic yet. He will continue to monitor my progress and its possible I may have to see an allergy specialist.

Dr. C also checked out the bump that I pointed out at the top of my nose. He said this is definitely swelling and WILL go away. He explained to me that what often happens when you are shifting cartilage around and shaving off bone, your body will form swelling pockets where the bone or cartilage used to be, to protect itself, and heal. This will sometimes make the area appear unchanged from before, because whatever was just changed, swells back up again and looks like it did before. That made me feel a lot better. He also said that if in the next few weeks or so the bump does not start to shrink on its own, he can inject a steroid into it and it will speed up that process.

Ok, so that was last week. Then my big birthday weekend occurred. I have had little alcohol since 2 weeks before my surgery, so it didn't take much to feel tipsy. I tried very hard to limit my alcohol intake, but honestly, I had too much.

Friday and Sat night we stayed at a hotel on the beach. Had a party Sat night. Friday night was bad. I know that I did not bump my nose while I was awake, and did not fall asleep on my side. I woke up around 3am and could not get comfortable the rest of the night. Was basically up after that. My nose was bothering me. Slightly throbbing is the only way I can describe it. I had lost a couple of stitches last week, which Dr. C told me not to worry about. The inside of my nose has been very itchy off and on since then. Sometimes, like Fri night, I wake up scratching at my incision site under my nose. I immediately pull my hand away and leave it alone, but I know I'm scratching at it in my sleep. So I don't know if I did that, bumped it with my hand after I fell asleep that night or what, but I've been worried ever since.

Like I said, I leave it alone as much as possible while awake, but I'm worried I've bumped it in the night a few times. Especially over the weekend because both nights I had drinks, and I think my head was a little fuzzy and maybe didn't feel pain that I would have felt had I been sober. Now I am really regretting drinking anything.

The bump is more noticeable today to me. In pictures for sure. I will post a few tonight to show you what I mean. In reading other blogs, I'm thinking maybe it will swell and go down off and on during the healing process, and MAYBE I didn't damage myself this weekend. But I'm looking at the one profile pic and I'm seeing a definite little bump there now that was not there last week in any pictures, and I can feel it with my fingers.

I will call Dr. C's office tomorrow, but does anyone have a recommendation for icing it or anything like that? Dr. C did not recommend any of that before, just keep taking Bromelain and "don't bump it".

On a positive note, I feel like most pain is gone now, and overall its been minimal. Some throbbing off and on, and mostly its bad for me at night. This is really bad because its affecting my ability to get a good night's sleep.

Anyway, please look at my pics and let me know if you have experienced this, or have any advice for me.

Trying not to worry too much.

Pictures of Bump

Her are done pics from tonight. Maybe it's me overcoming this, but now my nose hurts where I see the bump on the one side. Going to try to relax and go to bed soon.

Anyone who has been through this...what can I do on my own? Ice, hot water running on it? I washed my face with really hot water tonight and it felt better for a few minutes. Now trying a cold washcloth, but no ice.

Also forgot to mention that last week at my 2 week follow up Dr.C explained some more to me about what he did. Apparently I had a nasal bone that was completely sideways that should have been vertical, he could not shape or fix it so he had to remove it. I still can't believe my bones and cartilage were do messed up in there!

Also still not breathing well through my nose yet. Better, but not clearly.

Well if this bump gets more defined or hurts more in the next day oroso I will call Dr. C. Otherwise I don't see him again for almost 3 weeks. That feels like a lifetime away.

1 month post...still unsure

it's been a month since my surgery. I got a reminder to post and with it a question of am I still not sure. The answer is yes. I wish I could say it was worth it, but I just don't know yet. I find myself jealous of the others on this site who love their results. I so badly want to feel that way. I do have days when I look in the mirror or see a picture and like my nose, or certain things about it. But overall, I'm disappointed that it didn't turn out perfectly. I know that's selfish and I'm ashamed of myself for thinking that way..I'm lucky that the changes I needed were not big. I guess that's why I don't have bigger results. Still no one has noticed that I know, and I'm okay with that. I just need to find a way to be happier with what I see. So some things I'm experiencing: still quite a bit of pain, I've bumped it with my hand a couple of times, and I mean grazed it with my hand while removing a shirt. So not hard. And it HURT. So my nose is still healing for sure. A lot of times I'm just sitting there, and it will have a little sharp pain out of no where. Nothing major, just something that happens. I don't feel like there is much swelling, at least that I can see. Probably on the inside, because I still can't breathe. My left nostril is completely blocked all the time. And I'm not all full of snot. Sorry, lol. I mean my nose looks clear. That little bump is still on the right side. It's very tender. And I can still feel a bunch of stitches in the tip. I have never used so many qtips in my life! I've become very familiar with my nose. Sui that's it for now. I see Dr. C tomorrow for a month checkup. I will probably add another update then. I tried some side by side comparisons today, I hope they post ok. I still only see slight changes. But I want to make it clear that I would still do this again. I'm a believer that if you don't like something about yourself you should change it. Youjusthave to be real about it and know that sometimes your results might not exactly be what you'd pictured or hoped for.

side by sides

some comparisons from before, day of cast removal, and 1 month post.

2 months post

Its been almost 2 months. I can't believe how time flies. I feel like the last two months went faster than the two days before my surgery. With that said, I do not see much change in the last month. I saw Dr. C on Thursday and he agrees that the swelling is persistent and taking longer than most to go down. He also said I have an infection. I've been taking allegra for 2 weeks and it did nothing. So he put me on a z pack and wants to see me in three weeks. Im glad he saw infection because I swear I could smell something odd the last few days. Well, still trying to stay positive, and be patient. I think Dr. C appreciates that too. He seems to be disappointed too, but I can't really tell. For the first time, he mentioned a revision sometime in the future if I'm still not happy once we can get the swelling down. At the next appt we are going to try injecting a steroid in the bump of selling on my bridge. I'm crossing my fingers it works. But even the doctor said my nose is curved. He still thinks it's from swelling because he straightened out all out inside. I also don't have that scoop I wanted, and I don't think it will be there even after the swelling goes down. But that's ok. I've decided I will let my nose heal for a year and if after that I still want the scoop our if it's not straight, I will get a revision. I'm not afraid to go under again, now that I've been through it. And overall healing has been manageable. I could go through it again. I'm still happy I did it, I do like it most days better than my old nose. Stay tuned my friends!

Almost 3 Months post +steroid

Things are pretty much the same since my last post. I had a steroid injection in my nose (ouch!) 2 days ago because that little bump don't go away. Dr C massaged it really hard afterwards, ugh. Trying to soften up the callous that seems to be building. What worries me is that is the one section he shaved off the bone. If I want more of a scoopnin the future I'd pretty much be asking for more trouble. I just don't know what to think. That weird smell is back too, and the antibiotics didn't work. Allergy meds don't work. He wants me to see an ENT that specializes in the nose specifically. Gonna give that a try and see him again in a month. There is some sort of infection and still some swelling. I'm pretty disappointed right now, but still trying to be positive. I definitely want a revision at the one year mark. I am still hopeful that it will straighten out some, but with such small change in the last 2 months I'm not thinking it's going to change much over the next 6 months or so. Much of my life is back to normal. Working out, running, etc. Breathing through my mouth like a champ. Maybe someday I will have the straight nose I want that allows me to breath through it clearly. I guess they don't call it a journey for nothing. Still trying to be cheery!

Your nose looks better than last time you updated. I hope the injection helps , they are working well for me.
I'm considering rhinoplasty. Scared to death! I think I will get cheek implants instead.
You should go for the changes you want, you never know how much you may love the results. Just keep an open mind, I have had to learn to be patient. Good luck!
I feel bad your not thrilled with the results... I think you look great!! I'm sure in time everything will fall into place. I know, easy for me to say. It can only get better from here on!!! I'm having rhinoplasty in 3 weeks and it's nice to hear other peoples stories!!! I'm so prepared mentally from this site. Haha I am nervous though! Good luck :)
Thank you and it sounds like your area close to your date now, good for you. It will be ok, just try to relax and let the doctor do the work. I had alot going on inside so I understand why it may be taking longer for me to see the results I wanted. I'm still glad I did it. Good luck!
I'm also getting the injection on my follow up. I heard it helps with swelling so I am excited. I like how you're dealing with the situation because some people get very frustrated when they don't get exactly what they asked for. You look great.
Thanks zooster. I figure being frustrated or mad will not change anything so I might as well try to find positives!
Such a great attitude to have. The changes are subtle but I think they look cute. I hope that whatever you decide to do you are happy with it eventually.
Thank you, I hope so too. I don't think I'm asking for the moon, just to like what I see in the mirror and to breathe through my nose. Someday!
Great result! Remember, you are only one month post-op and are still swollen. Very pretty!
Thank you, I'm trying to stay positive. Its hard to be patient though. I'm glad others are seeing a positive change in my nose :)
Hi there. Sorry to hear you're not happy with the results. Honestly it looks better than before and maybe there is still swelling. Some people get immediate results because of the way we heal. Only thing I see is that you don't have a scoop and I'm not sure if you wanted that. For now just tell yourself if I'm not happy I can always revise it in the future. Sometimes I also wish I had asked my surgeon to scoop my nose a bit. Speaking of q tips I still use them a lot to clean the mucus in my nose as it gets sticky.
Its okay, I'm trying to stay positive. I did ask him to scoop it, but just a little. He said he did, but the swelling popped it right back and actually made a bump where he shaved it down. You are right though, I have decided that if I'm not happy in a year, I'll ask him to revise it and give me a scoop. He did a lot of work on the inside of my nose, more than most people get on this site, so I have to remember that I may take longer to heal than most. Its so hard to be patient though! When I think about it, its been almost a year since I joined this site. Time does go fast when you aren't thinking about something 24/7. So I have to get busy with other things and let myself heal. I appreciate all the support though, you guys have really helped me so much!
Your nose looks good!! You're right that your changes needed weren't drastic. IE your nose had a nice shortness tobit already and wasn't bulbous. It looks really straight now, and deprojected nicely especially noticeable from the second pic, right 3/4. You're gorgeous!
Thank you for that. I have to remind myself that I didn't have that much to change outwardly and that it was a surprise to the doctor that I had so much going on and twisted inside. That stuff doesn't heal quickly and is a lot harder to correct than maybe a bulbous tip for example. I am thankful that I didn't have a lot of change actually. I wouldn't want to not recognize myself. I do not consider myself beautiful or gorgeous, so its nice to hear :) Now I just have to work on my patience...
I can see the changes! Looks good! In time, I'm sure it will look even better :)
thanks, I'm so glad that you can see change. I don't see much, but at certain angles or sometimes when I walk by a mirror, I'll think "I look better". Not much change, but some. I have relaxed a lot over the last couple of weeks and decided that if I'm not happy in a year, I'll ask for a revision. But we'll see. I have a lot of healing yet to do.
Thank you so much for being honest in telling your story. This process is challenging in so many ways and I know for me it's comforting to read stories of other people still navigating their way through this. I also think your nose looks just the right amount of "different." It's sleek, and more feminine, but still you. You look younger and refreshed. I know it's hard to see that when you're looking at yourself, but I see it and I bet everyone else on here does too. :-)
thank you so much! I appreciate that, and I also appreciate your honesty with your review. Its definitely been a rollercoaster for me, one I didn't expect. I guess I expected immediate results, like when I got Lasik. But you cannot compare the two. And already having insecurities, I guess when things didn't look "different enough" for me, I honed in on those insecurities and starting regretting the whole thing and feeling sorry for myself. In the last couple of weeks I've relaxed a lot and feel better in general. I think making that decision to just have a revision if I am not happy made me relax. I did it once, I can do it again if I really want to! We'll see....that is way in the future right now. But I am so very grateful for this site and for all of you guys for supporting me and sharing your experiences. I think I would have fallen apart without you.
You're welcome! I fell apart many times even with this site, but perspective i think is key here. Remembering that it does take a year or more to see the final results is comforting and yet frustrating, because who wants to go through this and then wait a year to see the results?!? I think the best thing I did was to stop really thinking about my nose. I don't take a lot of pics of myself and I don't look in the mirror that often. I've just king of told myself- yep, you had a nose job 7 weeks ago, now let's get on with life. You really are a beautiful woman and I hope you learn to see that!
I truly think your nose looks lovely and I don't see any imperfections. I hope you end up loving it!
awe, thanks! I needed to hear that today. :)
I am sorry to hear you have some issues with your post op nose. Regarding not being able to breath well through the nose I think that's due to internal swelling. I had the same issue after my revision especially with the right nostril. It kept improving and now I'm 3 months post and I breath a lot better than before the revision. So, hang in there things will definitely improve.
That makes me feel better, thanks. I'm trying not to think too much about it today. With makeup it's not too noticeable. Just going to watch it and see if it gets worse. I admit, I really didn't expect to have these little issues, but I had no clue how complicated my nose issues were prior to the surgery. I'm really glad I didn't do closed rhinoplasty now. And that has healed so nicely, you can hardly tell. Funny that was something I was so worried about before. My worries have all shifted around!!
Actually, recovery from closed is much easier/less traumatic! Additionally, the "kings" of rhinoplasty, Pastorek, Aston, Baker (the old guard) all continue to do closed as they feel it is much better than open. There is some interesting information about closed vs open rhinos on MMH titled "Open Vs Closed" in the forums from MissJ. I will PM it to you-- it is quite informative!