Hope the Gain is Worth the Pain! - Saint Paul, MN

I'm 59 and take good care of my skin. I've been...

I'm 59 and take good care of my skin. I've been using Obagi religiously for 4 years, have a facial every month and a light-medium every other month. I get lots of compliments on my skin.

When I went in for a consultation on how to get rid of under-eye wrinkles (I've already had upper/lower blepharoplasty), ultherapy was recommended. I was told I didn't have enough sun damage nor enough wrinkles to have my entire face done. I was quoted $1,500.

I took a narcotic pain killer one hour before I arrived at the office and a tranquilizer when I got there. After both drugs kicked in, the dermatologist told me I should have my entire face done. Hmmm. I wonder how much worse my face could have gotten in 2 weeks! I figured why not and signed the papers. (Is it ethical to ask me to sign to spend more money when I'm under the influence of narcotics?)

She started under my chin and it was so painful that I told her to stop, that I didn't want the procedure at all. She did say she would stop and charge me nothing, but suggested we wait a bit and continue. I had one more pain pill and another tranquilizer with me, so I took them, we waited about 15 minutes and then finished the procedure. It was still painful, but I don't remember much more about it. I don't remember anything until the next morning. My husband apparently hand fed me dinner! The nurse called me the next day to see how I was doing and to mention that had forgotten to stop and pay on my way out. Seriously? I wish I would have taken the call.

It's now 11 days later and my jaw area is still sore. I have an appointment in 2 weeks for fillers, but I reaaly have a bad taste in my mouth for her now. I've been going there to another dermatologist for years, but she's the only one there who does cosmetic procedures. Plus, why should I pay another $1,500 for fillers when we don't know if the Ultherapy will take care of those issues.

P.S. She did give me $500 off because of the confusion about whether I was having my whole face done. I'm thinking she hadn't met her quota for the month yet and gouged me for another $1,500!

Note: I'm typing this on an iPad and can't scroll back up, so I apologize for any typos!

I didn't even know who I was or what I was doing when I left. Did she really expect me to stop and pay? Why didn't they ask me to pay before I was all drugged up? I was never told I was expected to pay while I was there.

It sounds like you are feeling like you weren't very well cared for. I'm sorry to hear that, that is never a good feeling. Have you tried explaining to them how you are feeling, and the things that have contributed to it? If you like the derm, it might be a conversation worth having or of course you could seek out another derm. Its important you feel well cared for.

I'm a bit confused by the part about the nurse mentioning you forgot to pay. What part of that was upsetting to you?

I hope it works for you! I am still waiting (5 weeks). I would have been annoyed by the sudden inclusion of more face as well. Not too professional. Best wishes.

See my description as the reason for the rating. Same office an my regular dermaroligist. He recommended her.