Chin Implant ** Crooked Smile **

I had read reviews on realself and that is what...

I had read reviews on realself and that is what made me want to post my story.

I was disatisfied with my profile and had a chin implant placed with incision underneath my chin on March 14th. I am currently 6 days post-op. I love the results so far with my profile even though it is still swollen but have developed a complication. I had read several reviews where the chin implant made smiles crooked due to nerve injury so when I noticed this about me I didnt freak out but it really has me worried still. My lip is higher on the right when I smile and it makes it hard to talk or eat. I will post a picture. Initially after surgery my left lip was higher but I apparently bit my lip when I was under anesthesia. I want to keep everyone updated on my progress so others out there experiencing this will also (hopefully) get some comfort from my story. I have had lots of tingling and sensation in my chin and lip but it is mostly numb on the right side of my lip and chin. Has this happened to anyone else? How long did it take you to recover?

By 4 weeks my smile is completely back to normal....

By 4 weeks my smile is completely back to normal. My numbness is almost completely gone. Good luck to everyone having this surgery

what type of implant did you choose or did your doctor use?
You look amazing!!! How long did it take for your smile to return to normal?
I posted it took 4 weeks. I feel like this is one of the best decisions I have ever made.
So It looks like your skin is no longer crooked? At least the pictures it seems like. I'm 6 days post op and feel like I have a completely new and generic chin, lost my uniqueness and a bit crooked. Did this happen to you too, did it subside and now normal?
The only thing that was crooked was my smile. But you have to realize your face not have been symmetrical to begin with and placing an implant can make this more noticeable. Or it could have been swelling. I hope it's better for you. A year later, I am so happy I had this surgery.
Who was your doctor? I am also in St.Louis thinking about getting this
My doctor moved his practice to another state!
Hi Friends ! It's so SAD to know that doctors don't warn people of the so-many potential risks of surgical procedures esp. when those procedures are NOT ACTUALLY NEEDED and are just aimed to make one LOOK MORE BEAUTIFUL.....Now, if you are sincerely WARNED that instead of LOOKING MORE BEAUTIFUL, you can also BECOME DEFORMED, would you still go for that surgical procedure? Just think about it... and you would come to know as to why the doctors DON'T WARN you !? Seems like that nobody really cares about you...and it's really SAD when doctors do that too...
I am into my 5th month and so far I have had the surgury, (chin implant & lipo and tightening) and 2 hematomas which I've had to have drained, a portion of my neck cut out from the sticking of the hematomas, more liposuction in my jowels and a mini neck lift to come. I still have swelling and numbness and tightness.
They did warn me. Anytime you have surgery you are at risk for complications. I researched this procedure fully and actually read several reviews on here that had a crooked smile after surgery. So when it happened to me I wasn't freaking out but I was still impatient with it going back to normal. I'm normal now and not deformed but it could've happened. And "deformed" is an ugly way of putting it.
I had a chin implant, liposuction up to my earlobes top and bottom, my double chin sucked out and lipo behind my esophagus and windpipe. They tried to get rid of my jowels also. I had two hematomas form each a week apart so my neck is lumpy. I think they should warn people more about the long recovery. My Dr. didn't say anything.
Katybelle- you are SO RIGHT about the long recovery. It took 8 weeks for my bruises to fade. I still have a couple of slight shadows of blue, but only I see those. I did not know about Arnica Gel until I saw it on the message board at about 5 weeks post op. It really helps fade bruises. I'm so sorry about your neck. I have chemosis in my right eye for the last 5 weeks. One day at a time.
It is 5 weeks and my neck still feels like a tight turtleneck. Not really any pain. Smile is still crooked and swelling is coming down very slowly. My Doc said to lotion and massage it all twice a day. My Doc didn't say anything about sleeping on my back. I can'twait to say it was worth it. People keep saying they love my hair, not knowing it was surgury, also that I look so relaxed.
@katybelle - what all did you have done? I'm now 8wks post op chin implant, face lift w/ liposuction. My smile is better, but still no bottom teeth showing. My neck has loosened up, now. Good luck.
beautiful results girl !! Alll the best with your new look :)
Happy to see it turned out to be so perfect ! And sorry for calling you 'bro', my mistake, it's clear from the last picture you're a gorgeous woman :) Enjoy your new chin !

Thanks for the update. I'm so glad to hear things are back to normal. Yay!

@veryworried--you look symmetrical and beautiful. I am happy for your quick recovery. Thank you, again, for posting your story and your pictures.

And...veryworried...your chin looks amazing! So glad your smile is back.

For anybody interested, one of our RealSelf doctors is hosting a live chat tomorrow at 5:15 pm (PST)...specifically on Chin Implants as a result of the 71% increase in chin aug procedures this year. If interested, you can sign up here.

@VERYWORRIED,

It is so soon!!!!!
You won't even know anything about your chin for about 4-8 months!

Read my Review as I had more surgeries with my chin implant and I am not sure if this affected the healing time, process, etc.

Yours looks great!
Is it only doing the right side droop when you smile?

Mine does that and it has been 12 years if I smile hard!!!!

Try smiling softer and practice sticking OUT your lips (especially the bottom) a little bit rather than pushing the bottom lip down so hard on top of then chin implant.

For some reason your mouth shifts to the right.

This is how I 'corrected' mine from doing that.

You have an implant now! It is going to do its thing every time you move your mouth.

I am sure the ladies with breast implants understand what I am saying.
Those things don't move like natural ones do!

You gotta learn how to work your new implant!!!!!

P.s.
Don't you hate it when the doctors don't tell you these things!

It looks great!
Thank you! I guess I healed fairly quickly. my smile is back and came back at week 4!
I had a chin implant (mesh inserted through mouth) on March 2, 2011. I have NOT regained my smile, yet at 6 weeks post-op. It is getting some better, but very tight. My bottom teeth not showing yet. I am so worried about my smile. I will post again next week--hopefully smile will get better daily.
Sorry, I should say 2012
Well I hope it gets better for you quickly. I have read it took one person 18 months. It is hard to be patient!