47 Year Old with 350cc Saline - They're Out! - Springfield, MO

I think I've read what sounds like my own story...

I think I've read what sounds like my own story several times on this site. I'm 5'8" 140 lbs and very athletic. After breast feeding my two kids I went from a small B to barely an A cup. After a divorce and an unhealthy relationship, my self-esteem wasn't do good. When I finally decided to get the implants, I had been in an on-and-off relationship and we were currently off-again. I was ok with that and I told myself I was doing this for me, not someone else. One of my cycling friends had just had hers done and she loved them. Well that sealed the deal for me and I went and got some too. I was so intimidated by the whole thing and wasn't informed at all. I asked for a full B and ended up a full D and they were over the muscle. The Drs always know best, don't they? Ugh. I've always felt just ridiculous in my cycling jerseys or running shirts and even worse in a swimsuit. The parting words of my PS were something to the effect of "you can never just take the out. You'll always have it have implants or you'll look terrible". Nice, huh? I ended up marrying the on-again/off-again guy about 4 mos later and he's been a wonderful husband. With his support I finally decided I would spend the money and get smaller implants. That's when I came across this site and discovered I could just have them removed. It was as though I had won the lottery - I was so excited! I waited a couple days to tell my husband of my great news just to make sure I wasn't going to change my mind after sleeping on it. He was pretty supportive and assured me he loved me for who I am, not just for my boobs, and that he knew I was just going to do what I wanted to anyway so he may as well get on board, haha. That was about 6 weeks ago. I had three consults set up, hoping for a PS who would do it under local anesthetic and leave the capsules in since there is nothing wrong with them and I hate anesthesia. The capsules are thin and soft (there are ripples everywhere). The second PS was the one I considered the most experienced and he gave me the option for a local but informed me of the other options as well. He said he could tell pretty quickly that my mind was made up, so he didn't try to talk me out of it. My Mom is a breast cancer survivor so I don't think many PS would have.
Well this is getting long! I canceled the third consult and went with Dr Price.
I haven't had any second-thoughts at all but I'm not ruling out an emotional breakdown at some point, haha.
So this morning was the big day. My appointment was at 9:00 am and I was in my car an hour later. I didn't need a driver since it was just a local, but my husband insisted he be there and I was grateful for it. The PS went through my original inframammary incision but excised the scar so that it wouldn't be extra thick. My original scars are thin, flat, and white. Thanks to the zillion pictures I looked at (thanks ladies) I was pretty prepared for what I would look like right after and it was about what I expected. Wrinkled and flat!
So it's been 7 hours and I'm doing well. I have zero pain on the left side but some discomfort on the right. I took some Tylenol and I'm hoping it doesn't get too bad. I would really like to avoid the painkillers. I can shower tomorrow and will take pictures then. Thank you so much to all the wonderful women on this site who shared their stories and pictures!! Writing a review and sharing pictures is soooo not me, but I knew I had to just suck it up and do it. I feel like I owe it to all those who went before me and helped me immensely. I hope it can help someone else.

Post-op Day 1 pictures.

It's been three days now. Had very little pain- really just some discomfort the first day on one side and I took some Tylenol. I don't have anything over my incisions and they don't hurt unless I were to push on them. I've been using an ace wrap with a Genie bra over the top so I look like a ten yr old boy. That made it kind of tough to get dressed and go shopping with my daughter the next day.
So they really do look a little better in pictures. My upper pecks stick out farther than my boobs. I took more pictures on day 2 but they look about the same. Haven't looked yet today.

First day back to work

Ugh! Good thing I wasn't really expected back today because I got there really late. I had a heckuva time getting dressed. I don't have to be wrapped anymore, just a sports bra. The problem is my Genie bra which was fine to go over the ace bandage does not feel tight enough by itself. I probably just need a size smaller. I kept trying different options with sports bras I had but its back to the store for me. Right now I've settled on my new Handful bra with has nice pads and looks cute. It will be fine later when I don't need as much compression, but the pads are removable and are quite useful inside whatever sports bra I will use.

Seeing a little improvement

It's not much, but I think I'm finally seeing a little improvement. The left side is still bigger, but I think they are filling in a little towards my sternum. And more importantly, when I bend over, they looks like breasts, not wrinkly little bags of pebbles. Yay! The air bubbles I've had on the right side I think may be gone. I know it's normal if you don't have drains, but it feels really weird. I'm having more discomfort than I have so far. Not incisional pain, more generalized, maybe just premenstrual. Hopefully it's the breast tissue that's been squished to the sides, falling back into the area where it belongs.

10 days post op

I've added a picture only because I know we all want to see them, haha, but I'm struggling to see any changes. I'm feeling mostly recovered at this point and I'm eager to get back to doing some real exercise. I don't know if running will be the first thing I try though. It seems no matter how tight the compression bra is, I feel too much movement in the nipple area. I guess everything is just too jiggly right now :) maybe that 3 week mark will be the ticket. That's my next appointment.

3 weeks out...

I saw my PS yesterday for my follow-up appointment and he cleared me of all restrictions and doesn't need to see me back unless, of course, something were to change. That is great news! The not so good news is that he said I have fluid in my left breast which explains why it has been bigger than the right since the explant. He isn't worried about it and said it will just reabsorb in time. I'm just bummed because I kind of liked that side. Oh well. The difference in size is enough that I think it would have made it a little tough to find a bra to fit right.
The swelling does make me a little concerned about starting running again though. I mean, I really don't want to turn it into a problem, but I really need to get back to some running. Its going to be hard enough starting up again after 3 weeks!
I'm going to continue wearing sports bras until the swelling is gone. Besides, it just feels better and I don't want to waste money buying bras that aren't going to fit later anyway.
Other than that, I have to say that I'm a much happier person overall. My husband even noticed and said something a couple weeks ago. I told him I think I've just been rather cranky for the last 12.5 years, haha. I got the BA thinking it would make me feel more confident and better about myself, but all it did was make me feel self-conscious and like a fraud. I think I never got to where I could "own" the big boobs.
Even though it is taking some time to adjust to the new/old me. I feel that when I look in the mirror now, what I see matches the picture in my mind's eye. I believe I have a much better chance at learning to "own" my real, small boobs.

3 week pics

They look about the same. Maybe a little smaller. I think the skin has retracted a bit - they don't seem to "hang" quite as much.
Springfield Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Price and his staff are great. I was very comfortable with him and everyone was very nice and professional.