47 Year Old with 350cc Saline - They're Out! - Springfield, MO

I think I've read what sounds like my own story...

I think I've read what sounds like my own story several times on this site. I'm 5'8" 140 lbs and very athletic. After breast feeding my two kids I went from a small B to barely an A cup. After a divorce and an unhealthy relationship, my self-esteem wasn't do good. When I finally decided to get the implants, I had been in an on-and-off relationship and we were currently off-again. I was ok with that and I told myself I was doing this for me, not someone else. One of my cycling friends had just had hers done and she loved them. Well that sealed the deal for me and I went and got some too. I was so intimidated by the whole thing and wasn't informed at all. I asked for a full B and ended up a full D and they were over the muscle. The Drs always know best, don't they? Ugh. I've always felt just ridiculous in my cycling jerseys or running shirts and even worse in a swimsuit. The parting words of my PS were something to the effect of "you can never just take the out. You'll always have it have implants or you'll look terrible". Nice, huh? I ended up marrying the on-again/off-again guy about 4 mos later and he's been a wonderful husband. With his support I finally decided I would spend the money and get smaller implants. That's when I came across this site and discovered I could just have them removed. It was as though I had won the lottery - I was so excited! I waited a couple days to tell my husband of my great news just to make sure I wasn't going to change my mind after sleeping on it. He was pretty supportive and assured me he loved me for who I am, not just for my boobs, and that he knew I was just going to do what I wanted to anyway so he may as well get on board, haha. That was about 6 weeks ago. I had three consults set up, hoping for a PS who would do it under local anesthetic and leave the capsules in since there is nothing wrong with them and I hate anesthesia. The capsules are thin and soft (there are ripples everywhere). The second PS was the one I considered the most experienced and he gave me the option for a local but informed me of the other options as well. He said he could tell pretty quickly that my mind was made up, so he didn't try to talk me out of it. My Mom is a breast cancer survivor so I don't think many PS would have.
Well this is getting long! I canceled the third consult and went with Dr Price.
I haven't had any second-thoughts at all but I'm not ruling out an emotional breakdown at some point, haha.
So this morning was the big day. My appointment was at 9:00 am and I was in my car an hour later. I didn't need a driver since it was just a local, but my husband insisted he be there and I was grateful for it. The PS went through my original inframammary incision but excised the scar so that it wouldn't be extra thick. My original scars are thin, flat, and white. Thanks to the zillion pictures I looked at (thanks ladies) I was pretty prepared for what I would look like right after and it was about what I expected. Wrinkled and flat!
So it's been 7 hours and I'm doing well. I have zero pain on the left side but some discomfort on the right. I took some Tylenol and I'm hoping it doesn't get too bad. I would really like to avoid the painkillers. I can shower tomorrow and will take pictures then. Thank you so much to all the wonderful women on this site who shared their stories and pictures!! Writing a review and sharing pictures is soooo not me, but I knew I had to just suck it up and do it. I feel like I owe it to all those who went before me and helped me immensely. I hope it can help someone else.

Post-op Day 1 pictures.

It's been three days now. Had very little pain- really just some discomfort the first day on one side and I took some Tylenol. I don't have anything over my incisions and they don't hurt unless I were to push on them. I've been using an ace wrap with a Genie bra over the top so I look like a ten yr old boy. That made it kind of tough to get dressed and go shopping with my daughter the next day.
So they really do look a little better in pictures. My upper pecks stick out farther than my boobs. I took more pictures on day 2 but they look about the same. Haven't looked yet today.

First day back to work

Ugh! Good thing I wasn't really expected back today because I got there really late. I had a heckuva time getting dressed. I don't have to be wrapped anymore, just a sports bra. The problem is my Genie bra which was fine to go over the ace bandage does not feel tight enough by itself. I probably just need a size smaller. I kept trying different options with sports bras I had but its back to the store for me. Right now I've settled on my new Handful bra with has nice pads and looks cute. It will be fine later when I don't need as much compression, but the pads are removable and are quite useful inside whatever sports bra I will use.

Seeing a little improvement

It's not much, but I think I'm finally seeing a little improvement. The left side is still bigger, but I think they are filling in a little towards my sternum. And more importantly, when I bend over, they looks like breasts, not wrinkly little bags of pebbles. Yay! The air bubbles I've had on the right side I think may be gone. I know it's normal if you don't have drains, but it feels really weird. I'm having more discomfort than I have so far. Not incisional pain, more generalized, maybe just premenstrual. Hopefully it's the breast tissue that's been squished to the sides, falling back into the area where it belongs.

10 days post op

I've added a picture only because I know we all want to see them, haha, but I'm struggling to see any changes. I'm feeling mostly recovered at this point and I'm eager to get back to doing some real exercise. I don't know if running will be the first thing I try though. It seems no matter how tight the compression bra is, I feel too much movement in the nipple area. I guess everything is just too jiggly right now :) maybe that 3 week mark will be the ticket. That's my next appointment.

3 weeks out...

I saw my PS yesterday for my follow-up appointment and he cleared me of all restrictions and doesn't need to see me back unless, of course, something were to change. That is great news! The not so good news is that he said I have fluid in my left breast which explains why it has been bigger than the right since the explant. He isn't worried about it and said it will just reabsorb in time. I'm just bummed because I kind of liked that side. Oh well. The difference in size is enough that I think it would have made it a little tough to find a bra to fit right.
The swelling does make me a little concerned about starting running again though. I mean, I really don't want to turn it into a problem, but I really need to get back to some running. Its going to be hard enough starting up again after 3 weeks!
I'm going to continue wearing sports bras until the swelling is gone. Besides, it just feels better and I don't want to waste money buying bras that aren't going to fit later anyway.
Other than that, I have to say that I'm a much happier person overall. My husband even noticed and said something a couple weeks ago. I told him I think I've just been rather cranky for the last 12.5 years, haha. I got the BA thinking it would make me feel more confident and better about myself, but all it did was make me feel self-conscious and like a fraud. I think I never got to where I could "own" the big boobs.
Even though it is taking some time to adjust to the new/old me. I feel that when I look in the mirror now, what I see matches the picture in my mind's eye. I believe I have a much better chance at learning to "own" my real, small boobs.

3 week pics

They look about the same. Maybe a little smaller. I think the skin has retracted a bit - they don't seem to "hang" quite as much.
Springfield Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Price and his staff are great. I was very comfortable with him and everyone was very nice and professional.

You only paid 500 since he did it while you were awake?
Yes. Just local anesthetic, no capsule or scar tissue removal, through the same crease incision used for my BA.
Thank you, I was wondering if this was a possibility. I know I need a lift too but that will have to be in the far future.
You're results are great! How in the world do you keep your stomach so flat?!
Thank you for your nice compliment. Am I reading your story right? Your surgery is TOMORROW? Good for you! You have lots of ladies pulling for you so please keep us posted. We're all waiting for you here on the "other side". :)
Thank you! I think it must look better in pictures, lol. Lucky for me I've always had a fairly flat stomach and I really like to exercise. I've had to do much more core work the last 5 years or so to keep from getting hurt.
I owe you a big "THANK YOU"! Your story and pics in particular gave me the confidence to go ahead with my surgery. I think you look fantastic and reading about your journey alleviated alot of my fears. I had my surgery almost a month ago and I'm so glad I did it. Here's to being real. Good luck to you and thank you again!!
Thank you! Its nice to know I have helped someone else with their decision to explant. Its really one of the best things I have ever done for myself. Congratulations to you! You look great and are really recovering well. Its hard to believe you had the implants for that long.
Wow you are athletic! I love it, those abs are amazing! What an inspiration, I turn 37 soon, and boy after seeing your pics I want to turn up the intensity on my workouts so I can be kicking butt in the fitness department by the time I hit my 40s. Keep doing whatever you are doing, it's phenomenal, and love that your breasts are matching the rest of your lean physique, it's a very beautiful and functional way to be!
Thank you so much! I feel like I'm back to looking like an athlete now without those matronly-looking boobs hanging down. And that first time running without them was amazing!! I used to spend most of my time cycling and racing and at 36-40 I was at my best, so keep it up - you're just hitting your stride!
I think your story is great. I too listened to many plastic surgeons say that an exchange is the only way. You look great. If you know what you want, you should not take no for an answer! Good for you and thank you for sharing your story!
Thanks :) You are going to do great!
Good morning! Just wanted to tell you that you look great and thank you for sharing your story! Hope you have a great weekend:)
Thank you mdeluca! I hope you enjoy your weekend too!
Thank you so much for your reply , I made an appointment today with Doctor Price for March 6th , and I am so excited. Thank you for your story it has helped me much .
You're welcome! There was another doctor that I had planned a consult with but canceled after I saw Dr. Price. I had checked with them and asked if doing the explant under a local might be a possibility and they said it was. In case you want to get in two consults during your trip here, her name is Rosellen Meystrik.
Hello , congrats on your removal without replacement. I have had my implants for fifteen years over the muscle ,saline and like you went from a full B to a full D or DD and am very much looking forward to having mine out . ... and I have a question for you , I live in the Kansas City area and I am having a hard time finding a doctor that will do local anesthesia , and the cost there quoting is as much as what I had them put in for , so would you recommend your doctor to others in the area ?
Congratulations on your decision! My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. To answer your question, yes, I would recommend him. I never asked how many explants he had done without replacement, but I thought he did a good job. I liked that he didn't tell me I would look awful or try to talk me out of it. He gave me all the options without trying to push me in any one direction. So far I have just seen him for the consult and the procedure. My next appt is at the 3 week mark on the 20th. If your capsules are thin and soft they can probably be done under a local. If you need a capsulectomy which is the "standard of care" then they will likely want to use a general. I believe his standard fee for that is $2500. The consult fee is $75, but that goes towards the cost of procedure if you move forward. My original procedure date was Feb 21, which would have been a 6 week wait, but luckily they had an opening come up. Also, I believe he does all his surgeries on Fridays. Their business name is "The Center For Plastic Surgery". Hope this helps.
Flatnhappy you look awesome!! I love your natural look! Hope you are going to get back into exercise slowly. Maybe some yoga first? How long did you wear a compression bra or ace wrap? Just had my explant yesterday and doc said to wear it for one week for now. I am going back to work tomorrow I hope (post op day 2) and am thinking I will need to hide how really flat I am now with the ace wrap. I don't want to look so drastic! ;)
The Dr told me to use the ace bandage for 2 days then compression bra for 3 weeks. I used the ace bandage for a few extra days after work and during the night because it felt better. I wore a genie bra over top if the ace bandage and used the pads from my new Handful bra when I went out shopping the day after surgery. It gave me just enough so at least I wasn't concave, haha. The genie bras have pads and they are pretty cheap at Walmart or target - $10. You look great!!
I'm wearing a compression bra at home and sleep. At work yesterday, I wore a padded sports bra. Didn't look that much different. A couple of clients asked if I had lost some weight. I told them I was working out again and yes, 5lbs. I just didn't tell them 3 of that 5 was my breast. :) it's funny though, my doctor told me there has no restrictions for me. He told me to wear whatever has comfortable. I'm not doing that. I'm doing what you girls are doing. This was my doctor's first explant so, I come here for advice.
Thanks so much for your story. I can't believe u only have two more sleeps then I too will be implant free! I am really anxious of the end result but I am who I am and feel its time to get rid. I too like Many if you feel guilty for doing this to myself, my husband never wanted me to get them but has supported me in my decision to explant. My daughters are 15 and 13 so I have told them what's happening and hoping they understand and feel better about then selves and learn to be happy with who the are.
Rochelle, only two more days to go! I looked at your review and I think you'll look great. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.
That's flat happy, that will be me soon. I will have drains for a week but will update a photo as soon as I get the chance
you look amazing!! dont rush yourself to exercise :) you will get there :) Im an exercise freak LOL!! I had to wait and it sucked but you dont want to hurt yourself :)