Invisalign from the Beginning... - Springfield, IL

Hello everybody, I am in my mid 30's and decided...

Hello everybody, I am in my mid 30's and decided to take the plunge and start my Invisalign treatment. I have a gap in my front teeth and an over-jet (pretty obvious from the pics, huh). I was never too unhappy about my teeth. I just decided to make some improvements. After reading many reviews from other RealSelfers, I'm ready for the Pro's and Cons. I work in sales and wanted to give you guys some feedback from my experience.

It started on February 10th with a consultation. My dentist advised me that I would make a good candidate. I also completed a cleaning and one filling. My next appointment was the following day. I completed one last filling and received my impressions.

The impressions were not a big deal. They put clay in the trays and took a couple moldings. It took a couple of attempts because of the size of my mouth. I guess it was medically confirmed, I have a big mouth! Any-who, the impressions are done and my Clincheck is scheduled for tomorrow.

I will keep you posted on my progress!

Clincheck Results

I went to view my Clincheck results yesterday. I have 23 trays and they should arrive in around two weeks.

Tray 1

The trays have arrived! I went in Monday to receive my trays. They placed a total of 11 attachments on my teeth. They had a difficult time with one attachment. I have a crown on one of my pre molars. The attachment would not remain adhered to my crown. I have a follow up appointment next Monday, to address the attachment and complete an assessment. Other than the attachment, everything went relatively smooth. The appointment lasted around an hour.

I practiced taking the trays in and out, before I left the office. The best way to describe the sensation is "pressure". The trays fit pretty well. I had to do a little modification to the bottom tray. There was a jagged edge on the bottom molar. It scrapped my tongue and was a little uncomfortable. I used a nail file to do a little adjusting. The trays fit perfectly now.

My speech has been affected. I have a slight lisp with certain words. I read aloud at night and practice in the car. Everyday gets better. You just have to find a method of enunciating that works.

My teeth are a little sensitive when I eat. The biggest change I have to get used to is, food! I pretty much signed up for a new diet with Invisalign. My snacking is pretty much over with. I guess losing a few pounds while the trays do their work isn't a terrible thing.

I have a bag that I keep all my hygiene stuff in (pic posted). The only thing not pictured is my Efferdent. I soak my trays every morning for 15 minutes. I had to develop somewhat of a new routine with Invisalign.

All in all, so far so good! The first few days are probably the most challenging. I'm looking forward to settling into my new routine and seeing some results!

Tray 2

One down and twenty-two to go! I saw a little progress from tray one. The gap is slightly smaller and the pain on tray two is definitely more noticeable. It took a few hours to kick in. I popped a couple OTC pills and I'm cool now. I will probably take the advice on changing my trays at night. The routine is real but, I'm getting use to it. My next appointment is on 4/28, for tray 4. My IPR is scheduled right before tray 5.

Tray 3

I moved to Tray 3 on Sunday night. This was definitely good advice! There was no pain at all. I haven't had to file any trays, since tray 1. My speech has pretty much returned to normal. I'm using Crest 3D White Luxe, it seems to help with the sensitivity. I'm using the same cleaning method with Efferdent and soap.

My bite feels a little off. I'm hoping this normal.
Dr. Stacie Beasley

I just went back and looked at your clincheck.  I never noticed before, but it looks like your bottom arch will have a tooth in the midline (which you have now as well, which was why I looked at your ClinCheck.)  Did your doctor discuss this with you?
Yeah, we talked about the midline being off. It was never a huge concern for me.
Ditto for me!
Cool :).  I was freaking out when my midline suddenly stopped matching up! LOL.  But they fixed it in refinements.
Really @mlb502?  I never noticed your midline was off!
Thanks for sharing my hubby is thinking of getting invisalign
No problem! It's a lifestyle change but, I have no regrets.
The changing trays at night worked great for me.  On days I went to the ortho, I had to change when I went to them, and then I refrained from eating for 6-8 hours.  Taking them out before that was just so painful :(.  Well, it was for me.  Please let us know if you feel a difference when you move to evenings. :)
Yeah, they kept my tray 1's. I had to put the new ones in right away. The pain is pretty much gone now. I will definitely update how the night change goes:)
Congratulations on starting! I see you have a green chewie (like I do...it's supposed to be mint taste, but it tastes like bubble hum to me!). Make sure to use it often; it will be really helpful in keeping your teeth on track and on the move.
Thank you! Yeah, it definitely has a gum feel and flavor to it. I use it briefly during the day and before bed.
Congratulations on starting!!!!!!  Please let me know what date you started with the trays and I can update that to your start date.

You guys crack me up--so organized, with your dental kits.  So much more convenient than what I did!

Thanks for updating!
I started on the 17th. I call it my starter kit. My teeth haven't seen this much attention in my life! Thanks for updating the date :)
No problem!  RealSelf's ability to count the time automatically for me was one of my favorite things about this place!  I'd hate it if you couldn't take advantage of that basic ability ;).

And yeah, great hygiene habits are one of those wonderful side-effects of Invisalign I am grateful for every day!
Exciting! Your clincheck looks really good. Not long until you receive your trays now, I look forward to seeing how it goes! :)
Thank you! I think I have a week or so before they come. I will keep the progress posted!
Hello, nice to meet you! I'll be interested to see how your treatment goes: keep us updated.
Thank you! I will most defintley keep you posted on the progress. Your review has helped out tremendoulsy! It's nice to see others expriences.
Woohoo!  Welcome!  You should go and take a look at PreOrtho's Review.  She shares both of your issues--the gap and the overjet :).  Maybe you've already found her.  Everyone in our community is very nice and welcoming, though, so feel free to comment wherever you like :D.  If you're interested in hanging out with some other newbies, a bunch are congregating over at Kristin1166's Review.

I look forward to following your progress!!
Thank you! I will definitely check their reviews out and see how their journey goes. Thanks for the post and links!
No problem :D.  What does the gray tooth in your clincheck mean?
Those are missing molars. They are fabricating temporary teeth into the trays. This will create proper spacing for implants, after my treatment.