Upper blepharoplasty

I am a 36-year-old Asian female and was fortunate...

I am a 36-year-old Asian female and was fortunate enough to have a decent eyelid crease, but I had excess skin and fat which hooded my eyelids. Eye shadow never quite looked right after I applied it, and every time I looked at pictures of myself, my eyelids always bothered me.

I had my surgery (upper blepharoplasty) in October of 2011. Recovery was a breeze. My eyelids were bruised for a few days but cleared up within a week. The tape and sutures were removed at my 1 week post op visit. I am now 11 days post op, and my eyelid creases are still settling, but they’re exactly how I wanted them to be. These are not the best pictures, but hopefully when I get my before and after’s from my PS, I will be able to post them on here.

My PS is a perfectionist. I would wholeheartedly recommend him to anyone who is in need of an upper eyelid surgery! He also performed my mommy makeover at the same time.

P.S. To view my journeys, please click on my name and look under “Treatment Reviews.”

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

I wanted to add that Dr. B uses general anesthesia...

I wanted to add that Dr. B uses general anesthesia for this procedure, and I did not feel any recovery pain. The price listed is for upper blepharoplasty by itself. Since I had multiple procedures performed at the same time, the cost was a little less for me. Feel free to msg me if you have any questions!

Thank you for your quick response.
Hello,

I am thinking about going for a consultation with your doctor but am about 4 hours away. I would like to ask you some questions regarding your blepharoplasty. How many weeks after surgery was the second picture taken at? Do you know how many mm high is your crease? Did he remove fat from your lids?
@glitzeez: The 2nd picture was taken 11 days post op, so my eyelids were still a little swollen. I am now 2 weeks post op and just measured my crease...when my eyes are closed, it is 10mm at the highest point, and when my eyes are open, it is 5mm at the highest point. Dr. B will work with your natural crease. My cousin is also interested in having a bleph done, but her eyelids are different than mine (less crease, more skin/fat). I believe he removed both skin and fat, but I will ask him when I see him again next week and get back with you. If you check on his website, he offers a virtual consultation so that might work for you since you live so far away.

Day 19 post op pics posted. Last week, I had a...

Day 19 post op pics posted. Last week, I had a minor infection on the inner corner of my left eyelid. Nicole was awesome and able to schedule me in to see Dr. B almost immediately. I was prescribed some antibiotics, and the infection has gone away. But you can still see a little redness when my eyes are opened. Dr. B says the swelling as well as the scar on the eyelids will go down with time.

Thanks for posting a photo and the restaurant recommendations. I really appreciate it. Your eyes look great!
You're welcome!
Hello,

I will be driving 4 hrs to have a consultation with Dr. Bogdan tomorrow morning and would like to ask if you could recommend a good asian restaurant near the area...any good Bun Bo Hue places? So curious to see how your eyes currently look...picture please if you're not too busy.

6 weeks post op ~ Changed "Worth it" rating to...

6 weeks post op ~ Changed "Worth it" rating to "Undecided." My eyelids look a lot better than before surgery, but I've noticed that since the swelling has gone down, there is more skin on my eyelids than what I would have liked. I'm afraid that as time goes on, I'll still be left w/ hooded eyelids. :(

I'm undecided at the moment. Are you happy with the other surgeries? Please keep us posted on Dr. B's response to your concerns regarding your eyelids.
Hello,

Your eyes look great but I understand your concern. I wanted to avoid having too little skin remove so I had brought in pictures to let Dr. B know exactly what I would like to have done. He seems to be a conservative doctor therefore he probably didn't remove an excess amount of skin. But its safer than removing too much. My whole family has hooded double eyelids so I am trying to make sure this surgery will last for a while before the eyelids become heavy/hooded again. Have you talked to Dr. Bogdan about your concerns?
I have an appt w/ him next week, so I'll bring it up then. I understand he wanted to leave enough skin for me to close my eyes, but I feel that some extra skin (and possibly fat?) could have been removed. It's a little depressing to see the hooding returning though. :(

Did you decide to choose Dr. B as your surgeon?

7 weeks post op ~ Had a follow up appt w/ Dr. B...

7 weeks post op ~ Had a follow up appt w/ Dr. B today. He says to give it time, and he will assess at 6 months post op. So I guess if nothing happens in the meantime, I will update again in April 2012.

Hello DFW Mommy,

How are you? I would like to ask how your eyelids are healing. Can you post pics of eyes open and closed when you have time? I'm thinking about having the surgery this spring and am very nervous...

Thanks
Ok thanks
Hello,

Just read your update. Did Dr. B say that he would remove more skin for you if you are not satisfied @ 6 months?

Added pics taken at 3.5 months.

Added pics taken at 3.5 months.

Hello there, how are you? I am ready to schedule my surgery for April and am very excited yet nervous about the swelling that will be present after surgery. Do you have any photos of day 1 or around the time within the first week after surgery that you could share?
I definitely will give updates of my surgery. Your postings have been so helpful. Thanks again!
Thank you for posting the photos. Your eyes look great and the eyelids healed so nicely.

6 month post op ~ Well, 6 months came and went,...

6 month post op ~ Well, 6 months came and went, and the eyelid fairy never paid me a visit.....my eyelids look exactly the same now as they did 4 months ago. Dr. B was willing to waive the surgeon fee for a revision, but I would stilll be responsible for the hospital and anesthesia ($1,600). I've wiped out my savings to get my Mommy Makeover and bleph done ($15,435 total; $12,245 went to Dr. B)....and I don't know about you folks, but I don't have an extra $1,600 laying around to get my eyes fixed (again). And that would be extremely selfish of me to spend more money on myself when I need to start saving for my kids' college education. Just my two cents. *SIGH*

sorry, i never saw this post....day 1 was pretty gross, so i don't want to post that pic...i still had the tape and thread...i think the thread was removed at 1 week post op. good luck on your surgery, and please share your results! :)

Uploaded 6 month post op pics (no makeup) with...

Uploaded 6 month post op pics (no makeup) with different angles.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Dr. B is willing to work things out with me. :)

Dr. B is willing to work things out with me. :)

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Let me start out by saying that the problem with...

Let me start out by saying that the problem with my blepharoplasty started out with miscommunication. I should have been more specific with what I wanted. Dr. B’s approach is to leave his patients looking natural. In my case, my results look very natural; however, I preferred more skin to be removed. Most Asians undergoing blepharoplasty prefer the 90’s “westernized eyelid” (e.g. largest crease possible), which may appear to be unnatural. I wanted something in between. Dr. B has done nothing wrong…we simply had a difference of opinion. But the fact that he is willing to make things right just goes to show you what an awesome doctor he is.

Hello,

May mom has been advising me on foods that I should avoid while healing. Did you avoid any such food (shellfish, beef, soy sauce, etc.)? Also, Dr. B said that it was not necessary to treat the scar in the eyelids but I was wondering if you did any treatments? Your scar healed so well...actually, its non visible from the pictures. I would like to have great healing results as you did. Sorry for asking you so many questions. Your post has been a tremendous help in my journey of finding a great caring doctor. I had a very bad experience with my previous surgeon.
hi there! i'm so glad that you are having such a good experience with dr. b. i did not use anything on my eyelids.....just a little aquaphor in the beginning. dr. b said my scars have healed very well...they're almost invisible. :)

haha...asian moms are so funny!!! here are their old wives' tales: shellfish will make your scars itch, beef will make your scars dark. i didn't deprive myself of any foods. so don't worry about it!
Hello there,

I had my surgery this morning and everything has been great so far...very glad I chose Dr. B. Good to hear that you and Dr. B are able to work things out regarding your revision. :)

I had my revision done on 6/05/12. I'll update...

I had my revision done on 6/05/12. I'll update this review in about 6 weeks. One thing hasn't changed, though...I still think that Dr. B is the BEST surgeon out there! :)

I agree
I absolutely agree with you regarding the pain free post surgery. My recovery has been great although my crease is becoming lower than what i would have like as the swelling subsides. I can't wait to see your photos!
How was your surgery? Pics please :-)

Updated w/ my 6 week post revision pics. For some...

Updated w/ my 6 week post revision pics. For some reason a little over three weeks ago, I had a problem with my left eye again (what is it with my left eyelid???)...it became itchy and swollen. I think it may have been due to my using mascara again or a new makeup remover, but I gave it a couple of days and it didn't get any better. So I contacted Nicole, and Dr. B was able to see me almost immediately. He suspected it was an infection and prescribed me some antibiotics. Problem fixed. :)

Hello there, How are your eyes doing after the second surgery?
thanks for asking...my eyes are doing well. i will post some updated pics soon. btw, how are your eyes doing? do you like them better now that more time has passed?
you look amazing! are you still happy w/ the results now that it's been almost a year? have you noticed further changes during the last year? thanks!

It's been almost 5 months since my revision, so...

It's been almost 5 months since my revision, so I'm updating w/ pics. Everything has been going well so far.

I highly recommend DR RICHARD GALITZ. My upper Bleph is PERFECT ..... They are located in Aventura Florida.
Hi there, I had similar problem. Hooding on my upper eyelids. You should be glad your doctor was conservative. My eyes are still settling but I feel you my PS took too much skin. Your revision looks fantastic!
Hi Sunshine555, sorry to hear that your experience didn't go too well. I, too, am glad that my doctor is conservative. Every time I go to any Asian place (store, restaurant, etc.), I see the older ladies with their obvious eyelid jobs and am thankful that mine doesn't scream "she had plastic surgery!". I hope yours get better as time goes on.
Dallas Plastic Surgeon

What can I say about Dr. Michael Bogdan that hasn't been said already? He is absolutely the best!!!