Dreams and Nightmares Come True - South Hadley, MA

So, this is day one and it has been a crazy roller...

So, this is day one and it has been a crazy roller coaster of a process to get here. I am 24 years old and have a mess of a mouth (pictures to come). My mouth is extremely over crowded, I have an over bite, and a cross bite. I have a child's size jaw (according to the bite molds I had to due), but an adult sized and number of teeth. I was surprised when my orthodontist said that even with all this I was eligible to have MOST of my work done via Invisalign. This was extremely important to me considering my age and my upcoming wedding (in July of 2013). There was, however, one condition. I needed to have teeth pulled. Four in fact. All my pre-molars. I have a fear of needles/sharp objects. All I have to say is: thank god for conscious sedation. I didn't have to be put under, couldn't feel a thing, and luckily don't remember a thing about the event of having four extractions!

Anyway, so it's been three whole days since my four favorite teeth were forcibly torn out of my head. But, in exchange I have shiny new liners. OUCH! I expected the pressure, but not the PAIN that comes with pulling off or putting on a liner. My canine tooth is right beside the fresh whole from having my extraction, and it feels like the liner is trying to yank it out too. I'm hoping the pain subsides with wearing, but oh-boy is this going to work doubly as a diet - I'm avoiding eating to avoid the pain!

Anyway, this is the start of a long road as I have approximately 50 aligners top and bottom. When all is said and done, I will need wire braces for a short while (few months) to correct anything the Invisalign cannot. Wish me luck on this ride.

Day Two is much, much better. The pain is still...

Day Two is much, much better. The pain is still there, but slowly subsiding. I took a trip to my dentist today to make sure my extraction points are healing well since I was so worried about getting "dry socket". The internet can be a blessing and a curse in all the information and scares it can provide.

Anywho, I wanted to explain the title of my review a bit more. Before this process I have always had very crooked teeth and also had a habit of grinding my teeth quite ferociously in my sleep. As such I would have nightmares about losing teeth. They'd all crack and crumble and fall out. They were rather vivid. So, the experience of having not just one, but four teeth pulled has been a living nightmare for me. I had to spend three days with four missing teeth and no Invisalign to cover the gaps. ICK!

The additional details on my treatment are as follows: I have 50 aligners (which were call given to me on my first visit). I have to wear each aligner for two weeks. I have eight attachments on my upper and seven attachments on my lower. On my 30th or so aligner, I will have to go in to have at least one more attachment placed.

I've added some pictures this time around, these were taken yesterday and I apologize for the saliva, but I can't seem to stop drooling like a fool just yet. Still waiting to get used to the liners, I suppose.

P.S. - It is scary as all get out to post pictures of my teeth. I have avoided smiling for all of my teen and adult life in order to avoid showing my teeth. Now, here they are for the world to see. I hope this is all worth it in the end and I can look back on these pictures and fondly since this smile will be exchanged for a much straighter, healthier one.

The pain is pretty not existent. I'm getting...

The pain is pretty not existent. I'm getting better at removing the aligners, but also have an "Outtie" (a little hook-tool designed to help remove the aligners) on order. I have too many attachments and it's tearing my nails apart to try and pry off the aligners a few times a day.

By the way... THE SMELL! Oh, gosh, I wish someone had warned me about the smell. When I take my aligners out in the morning, I brush my teeth before I enjoy coffee or breakfast because I can't stand the idea of eating with that nasty smell in my mouth. Without the aligners in, no matter how many times I brush, between the attachments feeling like chunks of scratchy food and the smell - I feel like my mouth is always dirty. I prefer to keep the aligners in as much as humanly possible without starving myself. I've become quite self-conscious about the smell and am going to invest in a stock of Listerine strips to be able to scarf on before I have to talk face-to-face with anyone.

So, I got used to Tray Numero 1, only to have to...

So, I got used to Tray Numero 1, only to have to switch. I found that alternating cleaning the trays with dental aligner some days and a half-and-half mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water on others really helps to eliminate the smell. As for Tray 2, its a bit achy but nothing too bad thus far. It's actually kind of nice to feel the tension and pressure since the other aligner had become so comfortable/loose. I have noticed a little blood from one or two of my more crooked teeth (a wonky tooth that sticks backward into my mouth on the top, and on the bottom my right canine). It's annoying only because the little spots of blood get stuck in the tray and when noticed by others is a bit embarrassing. I find more often than not, the blood mostly appears in the morning after I'm done grinding my teeth throughout the night.
Springfield Orthodontist

Referred by several friends and acquaintances in the area