Mini-Lift but Maximum Scars - South Africa

I am in my mid-40’s and had a mini face lift...

I am in my mid-40’s and had a mini face lift performed by Professor Donald Hudson at Renaissance Surgical Clinic, Cape Town, South Africa.

During my consultation appointment:
At my consult I told Dr. Hudson that I wanted the most minimal of mini-lifts, simply to tighten slight jowls at my jawline and address a tiny turkey neck.

He assured me that I would look totally natural, just refreshed. Dr. Hudson said that he would use the most modern techniques and that my incisions would be hidden in my hair and ear anatomy such that they would be imperceptible when I needed to return in two weeks.

Nightmare surgery:
My surgery was literally a waking nightmare. I experienced anesthesia alertness. I awoke on the operating table, hearing and feeling everything, although I didn’t feel pain. I could not move or scream out. I have since learned that anesthesia alertness may be caused by improper anesthesia protocol.

After surgery:
Mr. Donald Hudson was to remove my bandages one week after my surgery. During that appointment, he peered beneath my bandages and quickly re-bandaged me before I could see my incisions. He said that the plan had changed and I would now leave the bandages on until I returned home.

A week later I was home alone and removed the bandages. I will never forget that moment. I looked in the mirror was near fainting as I saw the barbaric Frankenstein-style scars on my face. I felt shock, repulsion, and the darkest despair.

My surgical results:
- Dr. Hudson destroyed my natural hairline at my temples. Prior to surgery we had agreed that there would be a small incision hidden in my hair. Once I was anesthetized I guess he did what he wanted.
- Dr. Hudson placed wide ugly scars on some of the most visible parts of my face. His suturing on my FACE was like the suturing a medic might do to save a soldier’s life on the battlefield while under heavy fire. One would get better looking incisions in any emergency room surgery. These ugly red scars matured into ugly wide bright white scars at one-year post surgery.
- He removed too much skin on the left side of my face making later revision almost an impossible challenge – even for the top facial plastic surgeons in the world.
- Dr. Hudson put incisions prominently directly in front of my ears and did all that was possible to make them easily seen and closed under tension to cause hypertropic scarring.
- Just below my earlobes, Dr. Hudson simply “tacked back” vertical folds and pleats of my excess skin.
- I was left with chronic pain in both ears which competent surgeons later told me was caused by incorrectly placed deep anchoring sutures.
- Dr. Hudson convinced me to have a “very small amount of fat grafting.” He injected sausage-shaped rolls of fat below each of my eyes. He also injected fat into my lower nasio-labial folds which is well known, by competent surgeons, to cause a bottom-heavy facial appearance.
- I developed a hematoma on my left cheek following surgery. I told by the physician I saw on an emergency basis that I was lucky that I narrowly escaped skin necrosis which would have necessitated a skin graft on my face. Hematoma may be caused by rough and improper treatment of the delicate tissues during surgery.

How I was treated when I complained:
I had one single phone conversation with Dr. Hudson shortly after he disfigured me. I had emailed him detailed photos of each of my areas of complaint to look at during our phone conversation. Dr. Hudson, in a haughty and superior voice simply denied, one-by-one, each of my complaints.

I was stunned because I had never imagined that Dr. Hudson would be so irrational and brazen as to totally contradict the photographic evidence. Dr. Hudson insisted that I had a perfectly acceptable surgical result. Then Dr. Hudson said, in a boastful voice as if suggesting that my concerns were trivial, “I am hanging up now. I’m going to go operate on children.” And he hung up on me.

I reported my surgery to Julie Colman, the Renaissance Surgical Clinic Manager. I thought that she would want to know about what had happened to protect other patients and their clinic reputation. She couldn’t have shown less concern for me or my complaint. Julie Colman said that the clinic “merely offers a surgical facility” and bears no responsibility for physician standards of care.

Finally, I reported my surgery to Dr. Des Fernandez, the head physician at Renaissance Surgical Clinic, where Dr. Hudson performed my surgery. Mr. Des Fernandez looked at my photographs and stated that I had a perfectly acceptable surgical result. He sent me an email enthusiastically approving of the scars.

Consumers should be made aware of the substandard level of clinical care that is considered acceptable at Renaissance Surgical Clinic. Potential patients need to be forewarned about how they will be treated by Renaissance should they have the need to report a problem with the care received.

Revision surgery:
As I began to seek out surgeons for revision surgery, I came to understand that, because of the severe errors Dr. Hudson had made, only a handful of top facial plastic surgeons in the world with successful revision experience would be qualified to attempt to perform my surgery, and even for them it would be risky and challenging. I consulted in person with 15 surgeons in person and at least 6 more by phone. I heard the same comments over and over, along with expressions of sympathy:

“The scars border on medical malpractice.”
“You got an old fashioned facelift using out-of-date-techniques - performed poorly.”
“Everything he did to you made you look worse.”
“He calls this a mini-lift?!”
“Do you think that the surgeon who did this to you was fit to operate?”

I had revision surgery one-year after my surgery. My revision surgeon is well-known as one of the top facial plastic surgeons in the world. I am thankful for his great talent and for the professionalism and kindness of his entire team. Given the challenges my revision surgeon had to work with, my results are not perfect, but I know that all that could be done was done. The pain in my ears that I had suffered for an entire year was gone when I woke up from the revision surgery. I know I still have a tough road ahead, and my appearance will never be as it was, but I am lucky to even have the opportunity to rebuild my life.

The total cost of my revision surgery and a subsequent hair transplant to fix my hairline was approximately $30,000 USD; 269,295 ZAR; 18,829 GBP. These costs do not include what I paid Dr. Hudson for the surgery.

Giving back:
I hope that by sharing my story other potential patients are spared this physical and emotional pain and suffering and financial devastation.

I wanted to share a few very hard-earned tips for...

I wanted to share a few very hard-earned tips for investigating potential surgeons:

-- Start with a list of about the top dozen surgeons in your particular niche of surgical interest, not the top in your town, the top PERIOD. This is the #1 tip. Drill down from there. If you don’t know enough about this surgical niche to know the names of the top surgeons in this procedure, or if you think cannot afford them, then you are not ready to proceed. The best don’t necessarily cost more - - and there is NOTHING in the world more expensive than bad surgery. If necessary, wait. Continue studying. Save up more money.
-- Independently identify previous patients of the surgeon and contact them directly. Ideally meet them in person to see their results. Do not limit yourself to the referral list of patients supplied to you by the surgeon.
-- All the obvious stuff: check all professional titles/certifications/degrees, search court records, read every single on-line patient review...
-- Find examples of how the surgeon treats patients when things don’t go well. Even the most skilled surgeon has to deal with patient follow-up issues on a routine basis. How is a patient treated with he or she complains?
-- Study many before and after photos from any surgeon you are considering. Look at the photos with a critical eye - look for the incision sites/scars, does that patient actually look better to you, do you like the surgeon's aesthetic...?
-- Know that as a consumer, you are up against a huge marketing machine. In terms of Internet research, know that the level of online disinformation is high. There are fake-positive-reviews written by marketers. Actual real-negative reviews may be supressed and/or buried. There are companies that can be hired to assist businesses in this effort. Even so, the truth is out there! Be sure to connect with other actual consumers. There is power in numbers!
-- Try to find evidence of whether the surgeon is a decent human being. I know this is really challenging but, believe me, this will matter if anything goes wrong!*
* By digging around, I was able to find out that the revision surgeon I selected does charity work (but doesn’t promote this vs. all the PS's who use pro bono work as a marketing tool). Also, I found out that he did some extensive urgent surgery for one of his previous patients who developed an infection following surgery by another surgeon and he never billed her or her insurance. He did not take her type of insurance, and he never even mentioned it to her until she asked him about it much later. Learning these things about my revision surgeon helped so much in terms of being able to trust him after I had been treated so horribly, basically like a piece of garbage, by my original surgeon.

Here is something that I would like to share with...

Here is something that I would like to share with every patient who is considering a "Mini Lift:"
** There is no such thing as a "mini lift." **

What I mean is that, by clinical/medical standards, there is no procedure defined as a “mini-lift.” Mini-lift is primarily a marketing term. The physicians will all differ on what they define as a mini-lift. Many will go further and make up branded names for their own version of mini-lift.

If you get a botched so called "mini-lift" and go in to consult with top facial plastic surgeons to consult regarding a revision, you will quickly learn that you were sold a bill of goods. The "real" surgeons will roll their eyes at the term mini-lift. In the world of plastic surgery, you the ubiquitous botched mini-lift patient are almost a joke in terms of your gullibility.

The term "mini-lift" is, in essence, a meaningless moniker and I feel that it does patients a disservice. This term MINIMIZES the risk, the scarring, the recovery process. Nothing about what you are about to embark upon as a "mini-lift" patient is mini or minimal. The line between mini-lift, face-lift, mid-face-lift, lower-face-lift, etc. is just a blur.

Finally, please consider the scars. See photo number 4 that I have posted above. Regardless of the type of "mini-lift" you have, your PS will make these incisions at the ear (certainly not barbarically like in my photo, but still they must be made). Yes, an extremely small number of PS's will make these scars imperceptible on some patients. Even the top PS's cannot control the portion of scarring that is due to a patient's skin type - ex. forming keloids. Most patients WILL have some visible scarring. The party line among PS's is that most patients won't have visible scarring from a facelift or mini-lift - - That is just untrue. Try talking to other patients.

Please think long and hard about how you will feel about having obvious PS scars on your ears. Before you proceed with a mini-lift, you owe it to yourself to spend just one single day pretending that you had to hide your ears. Imagine needing to be conscious of your hair covering your ears at all times. Imagine needing to keep people at a certain distance. Imagine worrying about wind, light, etc.

All unscarred skin is beautiful. Natural aging faces are beautiful. Please think long and hard and consider EVERY alternative to surgery. If you do proceed do so only with the greatest caution.

I have received private messages asking my opinion...

I have received private messages asking my opinion regarding the other surgeons who work at Renaissance Surgical Clinic: Dr. Des Fernandes, founder of Environ Skin Care, Dr. Theo Rousseau, Dr. Stuart Geldenhuys and Dr. Nerina Wilkinson.

Here is my response:
- I do not have any first-hand knowledge regarding the clinical skill level of thes surgeons other than Dr. Hudson.

- After seeing my horrific photos, Dr. Fernandes, the principal owner physician of the clinic wrote this to me regarding Dr. Hudson: "I think his credential speak for themselves and there is no doubt that he qualifies to operate at the Renaissance Surgical Clinic." Is this the level of skill YOU are looking for in your surgeon?

- I emailed my complaint to every single one of the surgeons at Renaissance Surgical Clinic. Not ONE of these physicians replied to say they were sorry that this had happened to me or that this atrocity is not representative of their standards of care. They each chose to support a butcher rather demonstrating ethics and honor and standing up for a patient.

My question to you if you are considering one of the physicians at this clinic:
- Knowing my experience, do you want to take this risk with your health, appearance, emotional well-being, and finances?

- How will you be treated if something goes wrong with your procedure?

- The RealSelf forum gives patients the ability to learn the TRUTH about the real personality behind physicians and clinics. We now have the knowledge we need to reward skill and humanity in our physicans. With a botox seller on every corner, why reward this treatment with your hard earned money? Just say NO to those doctors who treat patients simply as a source of cash to be used and thrown out like garbage!

It has been a year since I last checked in here...

I haven’t looked at my review on this for about a year now. I posted my review since I felt it was my responsibility to help others avoid being victimized. Once my review was posted my focus needed to turn toward my own physical, emotional, and financial recovery. I am so grateful to everyone who posted well-wishes. Thank you all.

First, I want to say that I am saddened to hear of the other patients that have added comments about their own “nightmare” results from Renaissance Surgical Clinic. Thank you for your bravery in speaking up. I know how emotionally painful it is to re-open the wounds and share your story – but if only other patients before us had shared their horrible experiences at Renaissance then we could have been spared. If you have the strength, please consider posting your own reviews with photos to further document your experience.

It lifted my spirits to read the comment from “skinjazz” below who had actually been scheduled to see a physician at Renaissance and then found this review.

I want to update that during the months since my last post I have still never received any contact from Dr. Hudson, Dr. Fernandez, or any of the other surgeons or management of Renaissance Surgical Clinic. Never have any of them contacted me to apologize, investigate, inquire about my revision surgery, or to ask me whether they could help with reimbursement for my >$30,000 in revision surgery costs. AS OF TODAY, 3-10-14, I PLEDGE TO THE REALSELF COMMUNITY: If anyone from Renaissance ever reaches out to me to follow up on my horrific experience, behavior that would be expected from any responsible medical providers, then I will post an update to inform readers. If I do not post such an update then you can assume Renaissance took my payment, disfigured me, treated me like garbage when I complained, and they never even looked back! Keep that in mind when you are selecting a provider. How do YOU want to be treated if things go wrong?

I see that there are two posters, “Lynn Green” and “ugly like you,” that made comments illogically critical of me and enthusiastically supportive of Dr. Hudson, the surgeon who disfigured me. I clicked on these two usernames and saw that neither has ever posted anywhere else on RealSelf except on my review. Based on this, I am assuming that these fake posters are in all probability Dr. Hudson, or another physician or staff at Renaissance. Thank you to the poster “tweep” who is a voice of reason and logic and doesn’t let these fake posters get away with anything!

The potentially fake poster, “Lynn Green,” wrote this statement about Dr. Hudson: “This brilliant surgeon has done amazing work and he needs to be acknowledged for that.” When I read that it made my skin crawl. No way would anyone; including any other PS, ever refer to Dr. Donald Hudson a “brilliant surgeon.” That comment sounds so much like the verbiage that Dr. Hudson used to brag about his own brillance during my pre-surgical consultation with him. I suspect that this fake poster is Dr. Hudson. It is nauseating to think that Dr. Hudson may be on this site pathetically bragging about himself in the third person.

For everyone who has asked about how I’m doing… Well, I cannot say that I will ever be the same, but I am better. Life goes on and you either find a way to go on, or not. I am so extremely lucky to have found the talented and kind revision surgeon who gave me the ability to go on. My results from the revision were as good as could be expected considering what the surgeon had to overcome. I know that there are so many victims who could never afford the level of care I was able to receive and I count my lucky stars for this second chance.

What stays with me most from this experience, beyond the remaining physical scars, is the enduring visceral lesson in nature of evil. The net profit Dr. Hudson would have gained from my surgery would be perhaps equivalent to one mortgage payment, or the cost of a designer handbag. For that tiny bit of dirty money he would permanently disfigure someone and then treat them like garbage. What more apt example of “the banality of evil” could there be?

Good luck to you all! Be extremely careful out there!

"CRUCIFY" a "BRILLIANT" surgeon??!!

I do not check back to the site on a regular basis but just visited and noticed that the poster “Lynn Green” claims that my 100%-true-and-honest-fully-photo-documented-review attempts to “crucify” a “brilliant” surgeon. Wow! What a sad and sickening statement. Delusional much?

“Lynn Green” you said something else that is a huge RED FLAG. You wrote: “When I was in hospital, the patient in the bed next to me had a face lift performed by Professor Hudson and she too looked amazing.” So this patient you claim to have seen supposedly “looked amazing” while in the hospital immediately following facelift surgery? Hmm, well that seems pretty likely. Yeah, Lynn I guess Hudson must be extraordinarily “brilliant.”

Lynn Green, may I ask why are you wasting time writing on my post?

If you actually are scheduled for facial surgery with Dr. Hudson within weeks then PLEASE take this time now to focus on the simple pleasures that you are about to lose:

Stand with a friend, acquaintance, family member, partner, coworker, stranger in the wind blowing your hair in direct sunlight and just enjoy the wonderful sensation of the breeze and heat on your neck, ears, face. Feel absolutely no need to hide scars or be self-conscious.

Do you hair in any style that suits you a ponytail, chignon, bun… or just jump out of the shower, beach, or pool without any worry or stress. Feel no shame. Hide no scars.

Wear earrings!

Tuck your hair behind your ear without giving it a moment’s thought.

Dance carefree cheek to cheek with your partner. Let him/her whisper sweet nothings in your ear.

Go to the hairdresser without worry about the shocked eyes of the shampoo girl.

Ride in a convertible with the top down. Feel free!

Go out and spend the money you didn't have to use on revision surgery to do something nice for yourself.

At the end of the day experience deep gratitude that you did not waste a moment of time preoccupied with scars. Not a moment wasted hiding scars, worrying about scars, covering scars, regretting scars, or looking at scars.

If you are wasting time on my post because you are actually having second thoughts about this “surgeon,” despite your defensive bluster, then there is a very simple solution. There is not space in this forum for me to write out a lengthy essay on the questions for you to ask Dr. Hudson in consult. There are many clinical articles and book chapters on advanced/modern facelift (rhytidectomy) techniques and techniques for minimizing facelift stigmata that are written for a physician audience and available on the Internet.

Use the clinical articles to develop a list of questions to ask Dr. Hudson. Ask him point-by-point about each modern technique you read about (when I say “modern” I don’t mean cutting-edge, I refer to techniques used in this century). What he will say in response is that he does not need to use this-or-that modern technique because he gets such good results without it. That is code for, “I do not know how to do that technique.” To other questions he will respond, “Yes, I use that technique” (He boldly lied to me so I have no reason to doubt that he would lie again.). Your response to that can be to print out large copies of my photos and point to the area in question and ask, “Well, then can you tell me why you did not use that technique with this patient?” Dr. Hudson did NOT just make a “mistake” during my surgery. He did not just have a “bad day.” He systematically point-by-point failed to follow minimal proper accepted modern surgical techniques.

Lynn Green if you or another person you know really did have acceptable surgical results from Dr. Hudson then please create your own post with documenting photos. Why are you instead only writing on my review??

You know, it is the mark of a small mind and a small heart to blame the victim. As humans in an uncertain world we all share our vulnerability to being harmed. It does not make you any safer to attack me. You too are vulnerable. I have shared my 100% true and honest experience and posted fully documenting photos. I experience no personal gain from having to force myself through the emotional strain of openly sharing what has been a devastating personal experience.

If I were selecting a surgeon among the tens of thousands clamoring for cosmetic business I certainly would not select one that clearly has performed sub-par work and has treated a patient like trash. However, every individual has the freedom and the right to choose what is best for them. All we can do on this site is share our individual experiences and lend a voice to a tool that can be used to empower consumers with knowledge and education that has previously been hidden from view.

It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others.
Publilius Syrus

And Lynn Green, all you have to say when someone graciously shares their misfortunes with you is, “Thank you.” Nothing more.

You’re welcome.

Why do you not post your own photos?

My review has picked up a "troll."

"Lynn Green" you claim that you are a patient that had surgery with this surgeon. Why would you not post your own review rather than continue to attempt to attack me and twist my words? Please post clear sharp detailed photos of your surgical results. Let readers see for themselves. There is no need to wait until later in the healing process. Simply post photos now and then update them at a later date.

I have described my experience with this surgeon and clinic. I have posted clear, sharp, detailed photos of my results, including one-year post-surgery. I have given a detailed account of how I was treated before, during, and after surgery.

My experience and photos speak for themselves. If a potential patient would like to have surgery with the physician that produced these results, then they know which surgeon to choose. If not, then they can avoid this surgeon and clinic. It is that simple.

A question for trolls

I have a question.

There are multiple examples of patients that have posted physician reviews on RealSelf with photos of poor results. As RealSelf readers have seen, in some cases the patients are then verbally attacked in the comments section of the review by one or more very active and mean trolls. I think that everyone would agree that, as consumers, when we read these comments we tend to make the logical assumption that the trolls may be affiliated with the surgeon or clinic.

My question is for the trolls that are affiliated with a surgeon or clinic (or that are the surgeon). If your goal is to make more money for your business, is troll behavior helping or hurting?
If a potential patient finds the negative photos and review and then ALSO sees that the previous patient has been viciously attacked by trolls in the comments section, do you think that the reader would then be MORE or LESS likely to feel confident about trusting this surgeon for their own medical care?
Donald Hudson

Professor Donald Hudson claims that he is the head of the department of plastic surgery at the University of Cape Town. He promotes himself as a pioneer in mini-facelift surgery. He claims that he taught his advanced surgical techniques to most all of the other plastic surgeons in town. During my pre-surgery consultation, Dr. Hudson pumped himself up and he even criticized another local plastic surgeon for his old-fashioned surgical techniques. I am sad to say that at the time I was naive. I was actually impressed by Dr. Hudson's monologue of his own accomplishments. I failed to grasp how inappropriate that behavior was. No truly competent plastic surgeon brags like that during a patient consultation. It was a sign that there was something very wrong with this person. I missed that red flag and I will regret this lapse in judgment for the rest of my life.

Thank you for your post. It's so hard to find brave people like yourself who speak out against malpractice in South Africa. It's also so hard to find people who will tell you that they have had plastic surgery done thus making it so hard to find a good doctor. Many thanks and hope your scars fade completely. Xxx
Why don't you just sue your surgeon? If a surgeon delivers a result like yours, sue. Sue him, sue the hospital. Make them (and their insurance) pay. It won't fix the mess, but at least you don't have to carry the financial burden of more surgery. Did you at least report him to the board of surgeons? To the medical council? Too many surgeons have "God Complex", and won't admit their mistakes. They are pompous and arrogant and because no one holds them accountable, they become a law unto themselves. Only by forcing them to face up to their failures, will they learn to be more circumspect.
So it's 4 weeks since I had my face lift, fat transfer and neck lift with Prof Hudson and I am more than happy with the results and have absolutely no regrets. My family and friends tell me I am looking amazing. The little bruising I had around the neck area disappeared in the first couple of weeks, there is still some swelling behind my ears, which is normal, and the incisions are healing well. I will give it a few months and then put up my own review with photos. Following my tummy tuck with Prof Hudson, I decided to have a face lift performed by him and I know I made the right choice. I don't care what anyone else says, he is a brilliant surgeon. Now that I have had my face lift, I am able to go back and have another look at this post with different, experienced eyes. All new scars look pretty scary in the beginning and we are told that complete healing takes at least a year. If you look at the photo of this poster at one year, she has healed as well as her body can heal. Do some research and you will find that the way our body scars is more about our genetics than about the skill of the surgeon. A thin white scar is not the fault of the surgeon but in fact a pretty normal result for most people. This poster even said so herself that "most patients WILL have some visible scarring". Scars need to be managed and looked after to improve their quality as well, so the patient needs to take some responsibility for the outcome. I understand that this poster wasn't happy but do believe that she put up the photos before she gave her body a chance to heal. When I first read this post I almost felt sorry for her because her expectations did not seem to be met, but since her last posting, I feel that she is a bit of a drama queen and quite fancies herself as one of the script writers for a new reality soap opera entitled, "The Wives of Cosmetic County". I mean really, being worried about dancing cheek to cheek and allowing the wind to blow through your hair while riding in a convertible with the top down, in case someone sees your scars. I think it's a bit of an obsession with scars, when I am quite sure other people would not even notice. A little bit of make up carefully placed over the scars would easily cover them, if necessary. Anyway, we have both had different experiences, and because mine was so positive I will definitely be doing my own review, but in all fairness, I will give it a few months for natural healing to take place. Maybe there are some people out there who, like me, believe that there are always two sides to every story.
Thank you so much! Since doctors in SA do not advertise, this is the most beautiful review! Thinking I had contacted them for a surgery? Hmmm I guess I'm only going to do this in America. It is hard to find a good surgeon when you can't check their review! Take care of you and hope you find a surgeon that can review your surgery and assist you look better. May God protects you!
Pattysky you really naughty now. No plastic surgeon are perfect but Dr Hudson is very close to perfection.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I can assure you that I am not a fake poster and I am definitely not Professor Hudson in disguise. I don't understand the logic in assuming I am a fake poster, just because I recently posted on this website? I came across this website purely by accident, while I was searching to see if Professor Hudson had added anything to his website. I was absolutely shocked and saddened by this attempt to crucify this brilliant surgeon, and yes, he is brilliant. I know other people who have had very successful operations performed by him, including a family member, and on the strength of that I had a tummy tuck some time ago. My results are amazing. It has changed my life in such a positive way that I have booked a face lift with Professor Hudson for this month. When I was in hospital, the patient in the bed next to me had a face lift performed by Professor Hudson and she too looked amazing. I contacted her in London recently to check on her progress and she is very happy with her results. I have absolutely no reservations about having a face lift performed by Professor Hudson. I have also since chatted to other surgeons who have worked with him and everyone has very positive things to say about him. He has vast experience and he is well respected. As far as I am concerned, your situation is unusual and certainly not the norm and I want people to know this. I know that some cynical people out there will think that Professor Hudson has in some way put me up to this, but I can assure you that my reason for doing this is merely to let people know that I am one of hundreds, if not thousands of patients who have been operated on extremely successfully by Professor Hudson, over many years. I cannot comment on your experience but it honestly seems as if you are talking about a totally different person. In my dealings with the Professor, he was at all times a perfect gentleman and took the time and trouble to explain the procedure and the possible risks involved in any surgery. The person described in this posting could not be further from the truth. He is quietly spoken, caring and totally unassuming. He has worked at Groote Schuur Hospital for many years and anyone who knows what it is like at a government hospital will know that if you work there, you must be caring and compassionate. The Professor not only performs cosmetic surgery but many of his cases are reconstruction on various cases such as people who have been involved in car accidents, burn victims and patients who have had cancer. I have been to this hospital and seen his work. It's a well known fact that people do not often hear about or talk about the success stories, especially when it comes to plastic surgery but when something goes wrong, the vultures all come in for the kill. I have done a lot of research into cosmetic surgery and the reality is that if you look at how many Hollywood stars have been "disfigured" by so called top American Plastic Surgeons, common sense will tell you that there are no guarantees when having a face lift or any other cosmetic procedure. If you go ahead with it, you must know that no matter how good the surgeon is, you will be cut and you will have scars. How well or how fast your body heals, depends on the individual but it is common knowledge that the body takes at least a year to heal. We live in a world of instant gratification and some people expect a miracle recovery, which isn't going to happen. What patients also need to realise is that doctors are not machines, nor are they God and all doctors have made "mistakes" at some stage of their careers. They are human beings who have gone into this profession to help people. Sometimes things do not work out as planned. So, anyone thinking of having cosmetic surgery must know that you can do all the research and think you have found the best surgeon in the world, but be aware that it may not turn out the way you expected.
The fact is, Lynn, your favorite surgeon is a victim of his own arrogance and conceit. This big stain on his reputation will no doubt linger on page one of Google for a very long time. And in my mind, it is something he more than deserves, as it is a mere consequence of his untoward actions towards pe.ces, coupled with his failure to rectify the situation in the form of a retund, a referral or even an apology. His behavior after her surgery was pretty disgusting, and he even denied that the problem existed (which is a clear sign that he has a personality disorder as well). All of this is HIS FAULT and therefore he must accept full responsibility for the presence of this review, rather than seeing himself as "victimized" by an ex-patient of his online. If Prof Hudson isn't as stupid as I suspect he might be, this will hopefully teach him a LESSON and show him that he can no longer get away with doing things like this. And he should be WELL aware that any future unhappy patients who come across it will no doubt be emboldened by this lady's post and end up writing their own experiences down too. The test of a surgeon's character is his behaviour after a surgery "goes wrong", as you so glibly put it (things do not just "go wrong", BTW - these doctors are being paid huge amounts of money to do these surgeries PROPERLY - in what other profession can you muck up like this and get away with it?) Also, I take issue with your assertion that plastic surgeons "are human beings who have gone into this profession to help people". The vast majority go into this profession to make MONEY. This can be readily seen on medical student internet forums, where new graduates discuss their desire to "make money in plastics". That - alongside the prestige, power and validation they seek among peers and patients - is a primary motivator. Even darker desires exist among several of them. They are - after all - human, as you say. And human nature is inherently selfish and greedy.
Dear Tweep. You speak with such authority about Professor Hudson, so please explain where you fit into the picture. Have you met him? Been operated on by him? Or are you merely going on what one patient says about him? Everyone knows there are doctors who go into the profession for the money, but seeing as Professor Hudson does a lot of work at a government hospital, it is pretty clear that he is not one of them. I stand by my opinion that he is not the man described in this post, that he is a brilliant surgeon and I have the greatest respect for him.
Have you looked at her pics and seen those SCARS?? A monkey could have sliced her up better than that! Wow.....
Agreed...that's why research is so important...I would stay away from surgeons in busy New York or California and stick to the top doctors in rural areas that charge less, and LOVE what they do...also for a facelift I would go to a Facial plastic surgeon...just FACES. Any doctor that performs a medley of different surgeries is a big red flag.
If Dr Hudson is so brillant...go get your face done by him Lynne :) We await your after pics :)
you must be Dr. Hudson in disguise, I dont see any other way. " I ve seen what Dr. Donal Hudson has done to his patient. it was horrifying. period
Lynn is the wife or Dr. Hudson himself. no other way. I saw the patient. she was mutilated by this doctor.
This breast operation below was not done by Prof Hudson but does highlight that even the best surgeons make "mistakes". Having cosmetic surgery is risky business and the final result is down to many factors, not only the skill of the surgeon. If you have had a successful face lift performed by Prof Hudson then please share your story. This brilliant surgeon has done amazing work and he needs to be acknowledged for that.
For 3 years I've kept quiet about my "nightmare" at Renaissance Clinic. In light of being a rather vocal activist , to end up not saying anything to anyone, including family and friends is beyond irony. But when you have been disfigured as a result of surgery, and the fault lies solely on the surgeons shoulders. You feel too mortified , shocked and ashamed. So I will keep it brief, there is a very publicity driven female surgeon who has her name splashed all over the media. A friend of mine referred me to her as I was a cup size A in my late forties and wanted an "B" cup. I never wanted big breasts, what I wanted was some breasts as mine had shrunk after having children. My husband was with me the whole time during my consultations. I had a few, I wanted to be very sure there was no misunderstanding. So you can imagine my distress when I realized I was given a " c cup" . She said that the anetheaist , suggested to her I would look better with a " c cup". So that's what I ended up with and some. My one breast was a lot lower due to the pocket incision being to big. To add insult to injury , the surgeon said she would insert my own body fat above the lowered breast to make it look full on top. We were in disbelief , my husband is in the medical field and wanted to expose her and bring her lack of professionalism to the public. But I,m far to conservative , proud and shy of personal publicity. I ended up going to see a surgeon in Somerset West, who specializes in reconstructive surgery. He was visibly shocked when he saw what she had done . What a remarkable , kind , professional surgeon. I,m so sorry I never went to him in the first place. So if there is anything I share from this experience, is rather go to a reconstructive surgeon, and run a mile when you spot a doctor with an ego, it will cost you twice as much in the end. I did however let him, know that if he has more of her botches to fix and there is someone out there who wants to go legal and needs an affidavit . I will come forward.
Hi Who is the doc in somerset west? I am looking for a sergeon.
Tweep, the scars you see on the images provided by this patient is fresh scars.She did not even give it a chance to heal properly before she complained!Facial scars heal better and quicker than any other scar on the body.PLease correct me if I am wrong.Plastic surgery is not a perfect remedy for old age.Yes, it helps but you seldom get a 100% result.You get good surgeons and bad.I went for surgery around the world.America, Japan, Thailand, England.And Prof Hudson is one of the best surgeons alive.The worst surgeon in South Africa is Keith Cronwright from Claremont Cape Town .He damaged my chest with liposuction done in his office with a primitive apparatus.In general South African surgeons offer the best value for money.My operation with Prof. Hudson is February and I will keep you posted with the results ...if you interested.
When is your surgery in February? Please let us know how it goes. I am sure it is going to be a great success. You seem to have a very good attitude. Good luck.
You i sooooo shocked to see that Keith damaged your chest hey because i had a tummy tuck & breast augumentation by him in 2009 & everything was perfect. Im so scared to go back to him for breast lift now that you've mentioned the damage. Eish
I have just read the above post and will comment asap.
Well, Prof. Hudson is not only one of the best cosmetic surgeons in South Africa but highly regarded in the world of cosmetic surgery.I think that the complainant is psycological not fit for surgery and there is something she hides. Why not show your face? Prof Hudson will operate me in January 2014 and I can not wait!
Unless you haven't taken the trouble to scroll to the top of the page, she has graciously provided several pictures of her face so that others can (hopefully) be better informed. On the off chance that you're a real poster and not a shill for Dr Hudson, I genuinely feel sorry for the fact that you are prepared to risk having such bad results. I would not wish the experience of botched surgery on anyone. You clearly haven't had surgery with Hudson anyhow - so who are you to sound off about how good he is? The photos certainly suggest otherwise. The worst part about the review was the appalling treatment she received afterwards, so I guess you can look forward to great aftercare. And, if you're getting a facelift, I suppose you can also prepare yourself for incisions which may look as if someone smashed you on side side of the head with a glass bottle. If this so called doctor happened to be a professional fish gutter, I'd say the boy done good. However, if this is the work of one of the "best cosmetic surgeons" in SA, I'd like to see what the worst ones are churning out. Finally, I'd like to wish you the best of luck with your surgery. I think you'll need it.
Please let us know how your surgery went with Prof Hudson. If you had your operation in January, it's early days but your experience would be helpful. Thanks.
Well said! Omg I would run for the hills away from that butcher! lol :)