Botox: Help - South Africa

I had my botox done on 6/12/2012 on the 7/12/2012...

I had my botox done on 6/12/2012 on the 7/12/2012 left eye was looking smaller and felt heavy. I panicked and rubbed it. By the 8/12/2012 my left eye was completely shut I can not move my eyelid at all. It is now 16/12/2012 and no improvement.

I phoned my doctor and he said it shouldnt last more than 2 weeks. This is the 3rd time I had botox done and the first 2 times i was really happy with the outcome. My doctor did my forehead and i think he injected to close to the eyelid. He said it wont last longer than 2 weeks because he did not inject the muscle for the eyelid but rather the muxcle for the frown.

He does not want to prescribe me any medication. So I went to go and see a nother doctor and he prescribedt to help with the process. He prescribed me a antibiotic called CCiploxx 500 some panafcort which is a cortisone and some eyedrops called Betnesol -N.

How long will I have to look like a stroke victum. Its almost the festive seson and I look terrible. Please help. Both the doctors I went to see have been doing botox for close to 10 years if not more. I am the first person they have come across with such a droopy eyelid.

Thanks Smanthajane! So glad to hear things have inproved for you. Hope you have a complete recovery very soon! SLOW...but sure! It drives me crazy that when you have a mishap with botox it last for months but when it turns out nicely it only last about 6 weeks for me! GO FIGURE! Best wishes to you!!
Hi Samanthajane: How is your eye now that a couple of months have gone by? Just wondering how long it took for you to get back to normal. Thanks!
It is now 13 weeks and my eye has opened up only 70% after being completely shut. Luckly I can see now but it still looks funny. My one eye is smaller than the other I dont know how much longer it will take to heal or to become 100% back to normal. All I can say is the eye drops did not work, nothing worked.
Botox takes approx 3-4 months to wear off for most (sometimes longer if youve had it before). So you should be back to your "old self" in a couple of months. As a former nurse (who has worked in cosmetics), i can advise that your former doctor was being misleading by prescribing eye drops. What are they supposed to do? Your muscles were injected with a paralyzing agent, eye drops wont make a difference; nor will meds such as antibiotics. I mentioned previously that my dr had gone under the eyebrow for the first time last time i had botox (Dec 2012). Since that time i have had nothing but moderate pain in my left eye (never experienced before) - a pain i now live with daily. So much so that i recently had an MRI of the head (at my expense) to see if anything else could have been causing the pain. Came back clear. Botox is great when it works, but when it doesnt, it can be the pits.
I experianed exactly the same. My botox is now just bordering over 3 months. I find when I message my brow erea it seems to help a little. I also found that when I read books and excerced my eyes to such an extend that I am tiered and cant keep them open anymore that also helped and it has improved. I could not open my eye for months and when it started opening it I had blury vision and could not see well. I went even as far as taking a strong holding plaster to stick my eye up so that I could see. I also suffered severe headaches, but it has now all gone away. So now my eye needs to open about 2mm more and it will be normal again. prior to this botox I had botox done 2 years ago and it worked perfectly then I went in December 2 years later and it was a disaster. The worst thoughts do cross your mind and often I would cry thinking Im never going to be normal again. But luckly its not permanent and time is the greatest healer. It does suck when you dont get the result you want and I must say Im rather scared to go back should the need accure.

My goodness, judging from your picture that really does look like an extreme case. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Thank goodness it is just the one eye, but still. :(

Have you noticed any changes today? Would love to hear how you are doing.

How awful for you. Ive been having botox on/off for 10 years. Ive never had such an issue, except for some bruising near my eye once. Ive gone to several different medical practitioners in that time, depending on where i happened to be living, or where i was working. But i always go an see a medico. I think your doctor really messed up; i've always been under the impression that, once injected, the effects are there for a few months. You should find it improving over the course of that time though. I guess that's a risk we always take when getting the procedure done. My doctor injected me only the other day, and he went under my eyebrows, something he'd never done before (i was upset he hadn't asked my permission to increase the dosage first) - i was VERY nervous, to say the least, but, touch wood, no side effects. Your droopy eye lid is likely a result of too much botox (some dr's i imagine would inject more to charge more - always ask how many units and why there has been an increase, if any - ask for the least amount possible to obtain the best results), or injection into the wrong (part of the) muscle. Id be quite upset if i were you, as that will likely be noticeable for a while to come. I'd go to someone else next time. PS: why have you spent $2000 on the procedure - that would be an obscene amount of botox being used. For 56units (up from 40u), i just recently spent $840 (usually around $800 for the 40u). $2000 could inject quite a few people!, who had really bad wrinkles. Judging by your photo, you're not old, and so wouldn't need more than average. I'd ask how many units was used. Average is between 40-60 units.
My eye seems to have opened about 2mm since my update, all the medication and eyedrops seem to help a little. I have noticed that under my eyebrow it looks swollen, so I started massaging it in an upward position and for some reason it seems to have helped a little. My doctor who did the botox is a quilified plastic sergeon and as I said this is the first time he has also seen this after all the years he has done Botox. This is my 3rd session. I just wish it wouldget better as I look terrible and wish there was more that I could do. Its not easy focusing through just one eye.
No Im not that old, Im only 30 years old. I paid R2000.00 which is about $250.00. I am not to impressed with my doctor. This is my 3rd session and Im the second patient in the last 12 years that he has seen this happen. He said it should start clearing afer 2 weeks as he injected the frowning muscle and not the eyelid muscle. But never the less its the festive season and I look like a stroke victim. It is frustrating to try and see through one eye. I just wish there was something to use that could counter act the effect.