So Much for No Pain! - Johannesburg, South Africa

Well I had it done, after so many years of wanting...

Well I had it done, after so many years of wanting to have thinner inner thighs, I finally took the plung, Yesterday! 4 hours later, and awake during the entire process. The most painful bit about the proceedure was the anaesthetic injections. On a scale of 1-10 I would put them at a 6 for the 3 other areas I had done and at an 8 for the inner thighs. After that the rest of the proceedure was about a 3 on the pain scale.

After I was finished, I stood up to get changed and felt extremely light headed, and faint. Infact I did faint. But I have had this problem with prior surgeries.

Last night at home, I must say I felt good, not too sore, again I would rate the pain at a 6, and say it was similar to being punched in various areas. I took half a sleeping pill and slept well last night.

Today, as I write I am in pain. I would rate the pain as a 8. I have had 2 caesars which I would also rate a 8, and I had a tummy tuck 6 years ago, which I can say was a 10 or even highter. I am trying not to take too many pain meds because I am also feeling very dizzy and light headed.

My drainage is terribly annoying, and so far I see no improvement, infact I look bigger than when I went in. Obviously from the swelling. I will post a pic of myself and my brusing when I take the garment off

I am excited to see the changes take effect.

It has been nearly 1 week since my lipo. I am...

It has been nearly 1 week since my lipo. I am still swollen all over, but my main concern are my inner thighs, they are bigger than ever. Like balloons! I hope and pray that I am not one of the unlucky people who do not see any changes.

I am one month post op, I have noticed slight...

I am one month post op, I have noticed slight changes, but NONE on my inner thighs! Very dissappointed.

Looking at that pic I have just noticed, I can...

Looking at that pic I have just noticed, I can also see how the one leg looks bigger than the other

Well people have a look at my photos and tell me...

Well people have a look at my photos and tell me what you think. I am horrified with the final results. After 2 attempts at laser lipo (with the same doctor), my leg is now totally disfigured.
Dr Gordon Cohen, Melrose Aesthetic Centre -Johannesburg

I have just changed my recommendation to DEFINITELY NOT

It is very important to find the right Dr. (not easy in South Africa) Drs buy these very expensive machines to make money and claim to be the best. The hand that administer any procedure is more important than the equipment........
Well this is why there are warnings in the US for Laser Lipo as it uses heat to destroy and burn the fat along with other tissues fibres. look for an ultrasound based treatment such as Vaser that wont cause this much pain and you will get the result you want
hi all im a 22 year old lady engaged no kids but planning to have soon, I would really like to know more aboput the Laser lipo I am thinking of doing it please advise if I should go through with it......

Hi Toxic,

Welcome to RealSelf! I don't think anyone can really tell you whether you should go through with a procedure or not. However, if you have any specific questions we do have a facility where you can ask questions and fully board certified doctors provide the answers. If you'd like to ask any questions then please use this link.

Hope this helps!

Look for www.vaser.za.com which will give you a better option than laser. speak from personal experience
hi there anon35,

Thanx a lot for the info..I will be trying the lipo very soon..
Cant wait.
thanx again.
Hi Vixen25,

See the Special page on the website. If the R 240 special is not available any longer, just ask, maybe they will still give it to you.

www.ultraslim.co.za

Hey there anon35, could you plz send me that specials page for the laser lipo worth R240 for the 1st session, and where did you have it done. I am so interested in it. thanx a lot in advance.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Oh thanks I wil do so, since its a lot cheaper than vaser lipo...
Yes, I lost 8cm on my waist on the first session. Although I think they measured incorrectly, I could still definitely see a difference. On my second session I lost 2 cm on my thighs (saddle bags). Next session I want to focus on my love handles / back.

Two of my friends also lost 1.5 cm to 2 cm per thigh per session. Another friend lost 2 cm on her waist per session (but she suffers with insulen problems).

And for R 240 for the first session I think it is worth a try - see the specials page.
I have never heard of it, did you try Ultrasound Lipo anon35? Did you experience good results with it?
Have you tried Ultrasound Liposuction? Some clinics do Ultrasound (to crack the fat cells), Radio Frequency (melt the fat), Myostimulation (exercise the muscles) and photon light treatment (tighten the skin) all in one treatment. See www.ultraslim.co.za
Well I have lumps and bumps and creases from 2 attempts at laser lipo in South Africa with Dr Cohen. I am so upset about the fact that if I want to get this repaired I will need to go through the entire process again for the 3rd time.
Well why dont you do vaser lipo and not laser lipo?
I am a South African now living in the US and I am 2 weeks post lipo surgery (laser-assisted lipo). I had heard about 'tickle' lipo in the US - it sounds like the surgery you had where you receive multiple local anasthetic injections - but not a general anasthetic.

The first thing my surgeon told me is that 'tickle' lipo is only feasible when the patient wants a SMALL area lipo'd.

If you are having lipo in several areas like I did (upper and lower abs, flanks, saddle bags and under chin) there is no way the surgeon can be aggressive in his treatment - unless you are under GENERAL anasthetic. It sounds like you had too many areas done for the surgery to have been as effective as it could have been under general anasthetic.

Having said that, you are being a little impatient and I urge you to wait a while (up to a year I believe) to make your final analysis. I went for my first post-op exam the other day and the surgeon told me I was still swollen everywhere - because your body has undergone major trauma. I wear my compression garment 24/7 (except for when I shower) and I massage the lipo'd areas twice a day for at least 20 mins (using cocoa butter lotion and Vaseline - but you can use your own choice).

I would be more than happy to answer any other questions you may have and to share the wonderful advice I have received from my surgeon's office - including the reasons people get lumps and bumps - and what do do about them.

Lastly, the more you put into your aftercare (exercise, eating healthy, massage, compression garment) the better result you will achieve. There is no magic potion and having spent so much money on a procedure, you owe it to yourself to following Doctor's orders!
Hi joburg1000, I'm so happy for you that you had the procedure. You looked very bruised though which I am sure will subside soon.

I am due in for a consultation on 1 March and will hopefully have the procedure shortly thereafter.

Have noticed any difference in terms of your size?
Which doctor did you use?
Any pre/post treatment advice?
Hi there size 8, to answer your questions.

1. I notice very slight changes, alot more slight than I would have liked. The main reason I wanted it done was because of my inner thighs. I have notice NO change there at all, so so far I am very dissappointed. But I read on his website that changes will be seen after 6 weeks. So I have around 1 and a half weeks left, before I complain. (I am going to post pics now you you can tell for yourself)

2. I used Dr Cohen in Melrose.

3. Yes, you leak alot, more than I was told, so definitely take backups ie a towel for the drive home.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Hi, its 3 yrs later, how are you thighs now? is it any better or back to normal?

Hi joburg -- Welcome to RealSelf and thanks for sharing your experience so far. How are you feeling today? I hope your pain and swelling improves soon. Please keep us posted.