Soliciting Suggestions for Optimal Healing Beginning One Day Post Active FX

It is too early to tell the pros and cons. I...

It is too early to tell the pros and cons. I chose to undergo the procedure (yesterday), despite having very good skin, because I found that on the few occasions that I wear base to cover redness the base sometimes cakes in otherwise invisible lines on the lower portion of my cheeks.

I was sent home with a tube of Aquaphor with a f/u appt in two weeks. Is there anything that I can do, e.g. supplements, topicals (tea tree, grean tea, vitamin e?) nutrition to speed recovery and avoid some of the horror stories (e.g. white bumps, discolorations, pin pricks not healing)?

I had the treatment Monday and it is now Saturday...

I had the treatment Monday and it is now Saturday.  I am almost completely healed with little to no peeling and redness.

The treatment was uncomfortable.

The first day or two I thought there was no way that I would heal within the week. However, by the fourth day I saw major improvements and today I can barely see any signs of the treatment-- except smooth new skin as a result of the peel.

I chose the procedure because my skin texture had changed. So far it looks like the procedure addressed that. I'll keep you posted how long it lasts.

It is premature to state whether I recommend the provider or procedure. I am one day post Active FX

I had my procedure done 2 days ago and I am a fright to look at! I can't believe I will heal in a week. I am also doing vinegar/water soaks 4 times per day and using steroid cream under the aquaphor after the soaks. Anyone else using these post procedure?
I had ActiveFX on my face 16 days ago. The redness seems to be getting slightly worse around my mouth and eyes now and I'm concerned with hyperpigmentation developing. (I've been COMPLETELY out of the sun) I have some Obagi Clear that I was using for brown spots. Does anyone know if using it now (16 days post-laser) is OK - and if it will prevent the development of hyperpigmentation? Thanks!
Our doctor is indeed very good. I had great results with my face -- smoothed texture, reduced pore size, initial tightness around my eyes. I went back two months later for my neck, and then another two months for my decollete area, and a re-do on that area the following month. I've found that sun-induced hyperpigmentation is more difficult for ActiveFx to remove, but it's great for texture and very fine lines. I haven't had tons of tightening, but I don't tend to produce a lot of collagen at once -- guess I'm stubborn. That's why I just had my eye area re-done. As for your itching and dry skin, if you don't have a tendency to break out or get clogged pores (which I do in a heartbeat!), then I wouldn't worry about the Aquaphor. But what I'd do is soak a clean washcloth and really get my face wet so the dry bits gets fully hydrated. Then quickly/topically dry off the skin only such that you can pat on a layer of the Aquaphor to seal in the hydration. Someone somewhere suggested placing clean, very wet washcloths in ziplock bags in the fridge and using them for itching relief whenever you need them. They worked for me for my full-face treatment. What day did you have your treatment done? -Tracey
great idea about the washcloths, both soaked and cold. Come to think of it, I'll use my icepacks from the Monday, 05.18.2009, which is the day I underwent my procedure. I'm pleased to hear you have great confidence in our Doc. I don't have any reason to doubt him. Some of the posts on this site are terrifying!! Hope your results exceed your expectations. Margaret
My gawd woman.............who's paying for this indulgence? How much has all this cost you? Please share!!!!!
_I'M_ paying for what you've termed "indulgence", what I call repair/upkeep. Face was $1500, neck $250, decollete $250. This doctor in KOP is awesome, and believes in fair pricing, not ripping people off. He's not in this business for the money, but to help people. To quote him, "As you get older, you get more spiritual."
As for avoiding any discolorations, stay out of the sun, and wear sunblock constantly -- every day, all day, whether you're going outside or not. But do not go outside during your healing period if at all posible. If you do have to go outside, wrap up your face with scarves, under a hat, and wear sunglasses. After 3 days of recovery you can try applying a mildly formulated sunblock (not a chemical sunscreen). I LOOOOOOVE EltaMD UV Shield SPF 45 Oil-Free and EltaMD UV Physical SPF 41 (with the light tint). They're elegantly formulated, and your doctor sells them (if it's my doctor as well). But still cover up -- don't just rely on the block. And don't go outside frivolously. You have new, baby skin that can become hyperpigmented easily by any slight sun exposure, especially with some types/heritages of skin. Also, I've found that giving in to temptation and scritching at the skin when it starts to flake off can reveal overly sensitive/not-quite-ready-to-peel areas that can turn darker red and take longer to heal. So DON'T SCRITCH! Those areas sting when applying moisturizers afterward to, so it becomes doubly bad.
Grrr...our posts must have crossed. Yes, itchy, itchy, itchy...I'll try not to scratch but it is not easy... Thanks for the sunblock recommendations. I'll check them out. Best, margaret
I should also note what I *have* used as well as what not to use. Post -recovery, I've used (and am currently using) Hyulunia's hyaluronic acid, Olay's Regenerist, and Creme de la Mer as moisturizers post-recovery. I just had my eye area re-done on Monday, May 18. We can heal together. If you'd like, I can email you photos.
Thanks so much for your input! My D.O. is indeed in KOP-- probably the same provider. My impression is that he is very experienced. In fact he stated that he had provided over 4000 procedures, and counting. I hope to edit my eval after a few weeks. I think it premature to give any rating but this site requires one to register-- too bad. Consider those, like me, that have just undergone the procedure and can't yet fairly judge. Sounds like you are a fan of the procedure or you wouldn't have gone back for a second. Is there anything you recommend for the itching? I was told NOT to use a sunblock for several days b/c of the active ingredients. I need an intensive moisturizer b/c I have dry skin which is even more dry after the procedure. Do you think your suggestions are moisturizing enough for dry skin? Thanks again for the feedback. I anticipate we will heal together beautifully and be pleased with the results--I just hope it happens fast. Best, Margaret
Do not use the Aquaphor after the first day. It will be too occlusive and clog your pores. I've had 5 ActiveFX procedures, so I have personal experience, but I'll mention that I have extremely oily skin as well. After day two, use a VERY PLAIN, sunblock-free, AHA-free, retinoid-free moisturizer AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T STING. If anything stings, immediately wash it off with the mild cleanser. As for the Aquaphor, if it's the only thing you can tolerate, use the lightest layer possible. You may find that you don't even really need a moisturizer. I believe I go to your physician in KOP. Good luck! You'll be fine.