Just Had It Done, So No Comments on End Result, Just Comments on What to Expect - Solana Beach, CA

I was numbed up by cream and then waited on hour....

I was numbed up by cream and then waited on hour. I hate pain and usually use a dental block for restalyne in that area.-but only need numbing cream for this. Pain was tolerable a 4 , much less so than I thought it would be. HOwever, the aftermath is what hurt most, Massaging my sore swollen face five times a day was miserable and I broke down and took pain pills...The massaging would leave my face bright red for hours also-not a good look at work. I hope it goes well and that I keep up my end of bargain, Will update as I go along..FYI I am 51 and holding,,or trying to!!

It has been roughly two months since the initial...

It has been roughly two months since the initial procedure and 1 month since the secondary follow up. I have to say that I am not noticing much difference. I think maybe it needs more time, but as of today there is not much to cheer about. The second procedure was similar to the first except I did not have the soreness afterward and was able to massage face much more easily. I will wait one month and post pictures. I was hoping for something more dramatic I guess. Not disappointed, but not impressed either.

Today is march 10. So about 3 months out and I am...

Today is march 10. So about 3 months out and I am noticing a difference. Subtle, but I can see a fullness that was not present in November. This is not a huge difference, but it is one I notice and even my husband noticed. Friends have said to me ( who do not know backstory), " have you changed your makeup?you look good.". This may or may not be all the change I get, and if it is, I think money would be better spent on Restalyne Volume' or just go all out and get a fat transfer. I will keep updating as time goes on. If I get a little more volume I will be pleased, but at $1000 a vial ( I had 2) I think bang for the buck may lie elsewhere . will add photo later today..IPAD giving mr difficulties....To be continued....

*10 months since first done

CLose up-you can see there is filling in cheek area..Lighting is good for this photo-I don't look so glamorous usually LOL..

AUG (11 months out)

I have only done 2 vials and will stay at that. I plan on waiting 18 months before doing more Sculptra as I want to ensure my results are stable and everything is okay.
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Referred to me by a plastic surgeon and she is the best. Knows facial structure, trains others in injections, understands facial symmetry. Love the Dr. SHe is a nationally trainer for Sculptra, so my fears were allayed by her experience.

I am waiting for the FDA 5 year post approval results to be reported. The court order was done on July 28, 2009. Don't know how much time they gave them to gather the poor recruits but I am expecting the results to be published late this year. Should be very interesting. Sculptra's going down!
what was the court order for? Who qualifies to be recruits? I wanna know about this stuff! Amazing that none of us get to be privy to this info PRIOR to treatment. That is sick. Just sick.
I am a little confused. Different people are listing their procedure at different prices...some are significantly different. Why is that?
I think it depends on location, practitioner, qualifications etc. I have not had anymore done and don't intend to. I have had a lot of people post to me that they have had negative results. I am using VOLUMA instead.
hey embeau -- you always look radiant to me and I would love to look like you instead of me! Now....I am thinking of doing voluma but I HATE how pillowy so many celebs start to look since I truly believe even the best surgeons cannot fully know how something will turn out. These fillers have been around for a while, but they have not been followed or studied over years, or have they? What if, for example, you have stuff put in your cheekbones. Then you live life talking, chewing, smiling, etc. and the stuff shifts, gradually as the face and underlying tissue does, with age? Then if you tend to gain weight say around your sinuses, or in your jowls, you have extra fat that shouldn't be there and looks "wrong" as it did with Madonna or Courtney Love. I have noticed the BIGGEST issue on all the "pillow faces" is that too much fat, filler, etc. remains or ends up around the nose, beneath the eyes, not necessarily the eye hollows. Has anyone noticed how this does NOT look good? Like, there is extra fat around the nose but it doesn't stay around the temples and jaw, which makes for a non-natural look, overfilled in one area and underfilled in the areas it's most needed. I wonder if it's because the jaw is a very muscular area, something I learned in nursing school, so filler can be shifted or metabolizes quickly in that area, while of course around the nose is far less muscular so it won't go as quickly. I am looking into this but I would HATE to look unnatural and would rather just be saggy and natural if those are my only two choices. I want something long-term, but not if it won't look like I was born with it. ANY suggestions, from anyone?
You are definitely on to something. I have had Sculptra and it is dissolving in such an odd way as you have described. I would rather have been saggy and natural. I would only suggest doing HA type fillers as these are safe to the body and can be dissolved if results are not appreciated
I agree that puffy look is unattractive (marie osmond for example) but I am attributing that to full face fat transfers. Obviously any filler can look overdone, but when someone does the fat transfer, Dr's put in way more initially too account for the natural loss of fat after the transplant. My goal has not been to look twenty, it has been to not look haggard. My face thinned out so rapidly and all I would hear is "you look so tired"..No, I am not tired, I am OLD...LOL..
That was exactly how it happened for me. We are the same age, by the way. Only Sculptra worked out for you, definitely did not work for me. I try to warn people because it is a gamble. If I knew it was a gamble, I would have chosen something much safer.
I am just curious as to why sooo very many people with even the right doctors (which I can only assume Madonna would have researched as carefully as she planned her every career move) seem to end up with an overly puffy face -- I mean, of course, lumps and weird stuff would be way worse, but still! -- and again, I am referring to the famous people we have seen who probably have done various fillers like all of us, over the years. I cannot comment about fat transfer but I have seen friends who have NEVER done fat transfer, only fillers, and YES! It did end up staying in certain areas for insanely long, namely alongside the nose, while it disappeared always from the strong jaw areas (temple to chin) far faster. So then they are continually playing a horrible game of catch-up, having to keep filling the temple to "match" the other areas. Filler can only look right if the whole face matches up. When I see older eyes and jawline with youthful botoxed forehead or one area filled to look healthy or younger but not the other areas that "should" be, that seems to be why it doesn't look natural. That's my big concern here. If I ever were to do fat transfer I would probably only get my temples done, I have already decided. It stays way too heartily alongside the nose, although I suppose I would have to figure out what in the world to do to match the forehead. Does anyone get what I am worried about here? I mean, how to make it look natural and real (which btw Embeau yours looks GREAT) and what to do when it doesn't? ARgh. I think it's all too much of a gamble at this point. Fat transfer goes badly, ulthera doesn't really work well enough, and fillers are unpredictable. In the end I guess I would go with the temporary stuff which is cheaper at first but the most costly possible long-term since you have to keep going in forever. Yikes.
you look great embeau. It looks like your cheeks have filled out really nicely. Would it be possible to see a picture now from inside your car (like the before picture)? I just had sculptra done to fill in my cheeks but I haven't seen a difference yet. Or maybe it's just too subtle....Would give me hope to see a side by side of your results three months out. Thanks so much for posting. I really appreciate it!
I am a 61 year old woman with, luckily, good skin. However many (30) years ago, due to a really bad tooth abscess I had to have a lot of my cheekbone surgically removed. I was told that when I was older that this side of my face would "cave in". I was lucky in that it didn't happen until about 18 months ago & I started to look asymmetrical. I have read with great interest all the comments on how many vials & how long does it take to really see results. I have an excellent Dr here in the UK who I researched really, really, thoroughly b4 I went ahead. She is quite adamant that the rule of thumb is that you need 1 vial for every decade of your life & don't expect to see much in the way of improvement until at least 6 months after the 1st injections. That has proved exactly right in my case. I have so far had 5 rounds of injections into my face & it was only about 2 wks ago that I really could see a difference. Sculptra is not the treatment to choose if you want fast results. If you can't be patient then I'd advise having fillers to give an instant improvement. Hope this gives hope to any older ladies who may have been told that you only need a couple of vials to see a difference. You won't.................remember the rule of thumb..........1 vial for every decade of your life & a 6 month wait in most cases to see the real benefit
Wow, thanks for that invaluable info!!
I can see a slight decrease in volume at times when the swelling is down. Swelling is off and on, okay one hour, awful the next. The product seems to migrate downward as it dissipates. You have excellent results, I believe my injector does not understand individual facial structure as the placement makes me look older than before. I am 52 and always looked younger until Sculptra.

my sister had sculptura done 2yrs ago and her face looks bad. She is 54 . She said the liquid from the injections is traveling throughout her body.

Wow, you are gorgeous. So glad it worked out for you. How many vials did you have?
Hi searching4 (that photo does an exceptional job due to lighting!) it was mostly to show the fill in the cheek area compared to beginning photo. I had 2 vials spaced three months apart (october and early January). Have your results improved?
No, because even though a teeny bit of volume went down, the product is going down unevenly. Also, my ps injected terribly, he was trying to create high cheek bones rather than follow my natural contours. And just as bad, I have daily swelling and redness that goes off and on. Sculptra ruined me.
Out of interest - how long did it take for you to start seeing the results?
6 months is when I began to see results....I have not had any reactions-I feel for everyone that has though..no one wants a bad outcome..
I'm really happy for you! I'm hoping maybe I'm just an early developer and it will settle down. Would love to hear from anyone else as to how long it took them to see results.
I saw results around 4 months but around 8 months the swelling and burning began and so did more growth
I see a very noticeable change in your chin area. Definitely looks fuller and very natural. Very nice result.
thank you- I will post new photo soon...

Looking forward to seeing your new photos, embeau! :)

Over the last few years I've had several Sculptra treatments with 2 different doctors. Both were highly skilled, the last one I used was just cheaper .... the first few treatments with the first dr. produced rather bloated effects on my cheeks (think I did a total of two vials with her) I asked the next dr. to focus on uplifiting my jowls by adding volume to my temples instead of my cheeks. This worked much better as I no longer resemble a chipmunk but still benefit (around the mouth and jowls) from the Sculptra. I'll continue doing this treatment until I'm brave enough to do a facelift! If only it could be used on my neck, I'd never have to consider surgery :) BTW, I'm almost 60.