Some of it too good to be true

Me: $6390 Marc: $3,000 3/4/09: Hi everyone! After...

Me: $6390 Marc: $3,000

3/4/09: Hi everyone! After reading just about every post on this site, it was finally my turn to take the plunge. As I sit here typing, it has been about 5 hours since my arms and abs were done. I will have the inner and outer thighs and banana roll done on Saturday. This is how it began for me:

It was late December and Fox 10 here in Phoenix did a piece on Smart Lipo. It caught my attention because I was so sick of the bat wings that had been growing in over the last two years. I Googled around for further information but didn’t go any further than that. A couple of weeks later I was listening to KEZ while getting ready for work and Lisa Briggs, the morning producer of the Beth & Bill show, did a little spot on {edited - provider information is located above the review} stating she just had Smart Lipo on her arms and she was ecstatic about her results. Wow, what a coincidence that she had done this just soon after my learning about this procedure!

I went back to Googling around for further information and found RealSelf as well as several videos of Drs performing the procedures. I then told my fiancé about it as I waved my “bat wings” at him! LOL Unknown to me, that night he stayed up reading all about Smart Lipo and the following morning stated he was going to call the place for a consultation because he was interested in getting rid of his jowls, chin, and neck fat. Five days later while I was at work, he went to the consultation and was immediately sold on the idea of going through with this.

My fiancé didn’t even give me the chance to “interview” other facilities because he really liked Ms. T., the aesthetician / sales person, so much that he signed us both right up without consulting with me! Unbelievable, huh? I wonder how many other men go to the consultation and then text their wives or girlfriends to tell them they’re doing this. Seriously, that’s exactly how I was told! I was at work at the time (a call center) waiting for the next inbound call when I received my fiancé’s one word text, “Done”… which meant he had signed the financial agreement and put the deposit down! He’s truly nuts! LOL So, you can see why I’ve been a little anxious about everything. One moment having my “bat wings” reduced was just a thought and then moments later, I find out I’m really going to lose them! He says I need to have my wings clipped so I don’t fly the coop! HA HA HA!! He’s just so terribly funny, isn’t he?!

I wasn’t too happy that I was signed up sight unseen. How odd is that?! My fiancé just told them my upper arms and thighs needed to be done and we’d get a package deal for the both of us totaling $6,000.00 for his jowls, chin, and neck and my upper arms and saddle bags. Anyway, being that I was at work when I received the news that this is what was going down, I called the facility and told them I still had to have my consultation and get a feel for the place. My consultation was set for that Saturday.

At my consultation on Saturday I introduced myself to Ms. T. as a “44 yr old 5 foot 3 inch 122 lb fat thin person.” Most would never consider me to be fat or even overweight, but not many have seen me in shorts or a bathing suit either. I’ve spent the last couple of summers here in Arizona in jeans and I’d like to wear shorts and not be so self conscious about how I look.

I have a long history of anxiety disorder and explained that though I don’t need to take meds any more, I still need a lot of reassurance and special attention when it comes to something like this because I knew the procedure was going to cause much anxiety and I feared the worst. I was also diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis when I turned 40 just over 4 years ago. When I became hypothyroid, I gained 15 – 20 lbs that all seem to have taken up residency on the front of my thighs!! Ms. T. suggested that inner and outer thighs be done as well as my upper arms. I expressed my concern about the possibility of gaining weight elsewhere if my problem areas are reduced of fat cells. Will I get fat in my buttocks and abdomen? I have always had a flat stomach, even after giving birth to four children, and I didn’t want to suddenly grow a pooch!! Well, along with the inner and outer thighs, I suggested that I have my abdomen done as a preventative measure as well as the banana roll done. Banana roll?! I was laughing so hard when Ms. T. told me that’s what that part of your buttocks is called!! We decided that a man had to have come up with that one! LOL Pretty silly! Well, when all is said and done, it will be so wonderful not to feel the weight jiggling on the front of my thighs and arms anymore!

After the consultation, I felt more confident about what Ms. T. told me about the Dr. and facility, BUT I was little concerned that I had yet to meet the Dr. himself. I had done some research on the Dr. and felt confident about his background but I still felt that I should meet him prior to the procedure to get a feel for his personality as well as wanting him to see what he has to work with and get HIS opinion. Ms. T. was very accommodating and scheduled me to meet the Dr. a few days later.

Dr. P. looked me over and explained things clearly to me as well as reassured me that he is well qualified being that he does approximately 80 procedures monthly as well as train other Drs. in the Smart Lipo procedure. I did express some concerns, thanks to all of the posts I’ve read. I advised the Dr. that I do educate myself as much as possible before doing anything, especially something like this. I have never done any elective surgery and I wanted to be absolutely confident that what I was doing was the right thing for me and that I’ve found the right Dr. for the job. I was concerned with the fact that 5 areas were going to be done in one day and many members as well as physicians here have suggested 2-3 areas at one time is the safest way to go. I also had concerns about the lidocaine and epinephrine being that I am sensitive to many medications and I feared a chance of a bad reaction or worse, overdose. And lastly, 4-5 litres of fluid/fat are the max that should be removed and I swear my thighs could easily be 2 litres each! Well, Dr. P. assured me that first and foremost, he always puts the safety of his patients at the top of his list and uses the minimal amount of lidocaine, just enough to deaden any pain. He also asked me if I have had any dental work done, which I have had some fillings over the years. That lidocaine w/ epinephrine is the same anesthetic used for the Smart Lipo procedure. He also laughed stating that all of the areas to be done would not even amount to 2 litres of fluid/fat. Well, I was completely at ease by this point and anxious to have the procedures done.

In preparation over the last week I tried taking the Arnica Montana but unfortunately, I have a drug sensitivity to that stuff. I took three tablets under the tongue at work last week and a few minutes later felt that old familiar gripping feeling of anxiety. It only lasted a few minutes though. I took 4 tablets before jumping into the shower that night and as I was washing my hair I felt the panic coming on. My heart was racing and I had to rinse off fast and get the heck out of the shower, get dressed, and run out to the living room to tell my fiancé I was starting to have a panic attack. I was sure this was going to be a full blown attack and went hunting for my Klonopin which I haven’t needed to take since I took a plane back East two years ago! Well, I somehow managed to calm myself sans medication after about ten minutes. I Googled for more information on the Arnica Montana and did find that it can cause racing heart and heart irregularities so for those of you who have anxiety disorder and/or are sensitive to meds, I advise you to avoid Arnica Montana and resort to drinking Pine Apple juice or Coconut water. My fiancé is having no side effects at all from the Arnica.

Today, 3/4/09 @ 7:30 am was the big day! (It’s now about 6.5 hrs from when procedures were completed) I was so nervous! I packed a little bag with my prescriptions (valium, hydrocodone, and cephilexin), pj bottoms, button down shirt, Starbucks cup filled w/ pineapple juice, and a 32 oz bottle of G2 Gatorade. We drove from Chandler to Scottsdale and arrived at 7:30 am. Miss M. advised against taking the hydrocodone due to the fact that many people get nauseous from it. So, I took her advice and just took 5 mg of valium which made me feel more relaxed after about 10 minutes. I was escorted to a room where I changed into the little paper undies and strapless bra (how sexy!!) and posed for pictures. I had taken before pictures and measurements at home which I will post in the next few days. Ms. M. weighed me in at 124 lbs and took my measurements, oxygen saturation, blood pressure, and heart rate. My blood pressure was normal but a bit higher than usual as well, my heart rate was up a bit…hmmm, wonder why?! LOL

Dr. P. arrived with his purple marker and started to circle all the areas he was going to be working on. While he was mapping the areas, I explained that I had been reading a lot about Smart Lipo and that patients and Drs alike suggested doing no more than three areas at a time. And being that I’m small, wouldn’t it be safer for me to do this in a couple of sessions vs. the one. Dr. P. suggested we see how things go and we can determine if he should break the procedures up as he goes along.

I had suggested breaking up the procedures into two different days to Ms. T. a week prior and her response to me via email was, “We will have to do an entire set-up for the second procedure which means purchasing a second laser thread for you. Remember, on Saturday when we discussed how helpful it was to do the procedure all at once.” I called her to find out what the cost was going to be and found that it would be an additional $1,500!! When I mentioned this to Dr. P and Ms. M, they both stated they wouldn’t add any additional cost to what I’ve already paid. What a relief it was to hear that!

I kissed my fiancé adios and off to the surgical room we went. Lying on my back Dr. P. started with my forearms injecting a shot of lidocaine in each arm and then piercing a small hole where he would insert the canula. The lidocaine shot only stung for a ½ second, much like at the dentist. The canula was inserted into my arms (only 1 hole for each arm just north of my elbow) and abs (3 holes) and I could feel light pressure of the tumescent fluid going in. There were some slight burning sensations as well. After a couple of minutes I began to shake uncontrollably. I thought I was having a panic attack because this is what used to happen years ago when I had a bad attack. I was totally freaking out even though I had taken 5 mgs of valium when I got there and another 2.5 mgs when I got on the table. Ms. L. and Dr. P. calmly told me that it was not a panic attack, it was a side effect of the epinephrine which everyone experiences and not to worry and to just relax as best as I could. The shaking eventually subsided after about 10 minutes and I began to relax a bit more. I was so panicked that I asked if we could please put off the thighs and banana roll for another day. Dr. P. and Ms. M. had a brief side discussion and both agreed that letting me split the procedures up was probably the best thing. PHEW!! What a relief, let me tell you!

The remaining time spent was sucking out the fluid and fat and doing the lasering and there was little to no pain. I did feel a little pinching and poking in the abs but nothing that I couldn’t handle. And when I let out a little grunt or groan, he’d move the canula in a different direction. I was told that working towards the middle of the abs towards the belly button does have more of the pinching feeling.

During the lasering, a little pair of glasses to block out the light were put over my eyes. The lasering probably lasted all of ten or so minutes. When the Dr. was done, the glasses were removed and the nurses sat me up and gently pressed on my lower abs to help draw out any remaining fluids prior to placing gauze bandages over the three holes. They did the same to my arms and then wrapped them tightly in ace bandages. I noticed the collection tank of the fluid and fat and was told that there was 1000 cc’s. I was then escorted to the bathroom where I got rid of those sexy paper underpants and bra and put my real underwear on. I needed assistance getting the bra clasps together because I couldn’t get my arms to do anything. LOL The compression garment that they had for me is one that goes around the waist from boobs down to lower abs and does this wrap around with Velcro. It was laid out on the table and I had to get back on the table and lay down on it so the nurses could wrap me up. The size small ended up being a bit too big but they did what they could to make it work. I had purchased an XS Spanx which I bought from Amazon and was expecting that the next day.

After I finished dressing, I met with Ms. A. to schedule a date to get the inner and outer thighs and banana roll done and confirmed once again that there would not be any added charges for breaking up the procedures. I decided I’d come back on 3/7/09 in the afternoon, just after my fiancé gets his neck done. With that, we made our way back home. On the way home, I made my fiancé pull off the freeway to find me a restroom because the bladder was now in overdrive. He figured he’d kill two birds with one stone so we stopped off at some fast-food place so he could eat and I could pee. Well, thanks to all of the reading I did before going through this that I saved myself from one hellacious panic attack! As I wiped myself I discovered that my entire pubic area had swelled up like a pillow from some remaining fluids. Yes, I was quite freaked out but luckily remembered other posters have described this same side effect. I ran out of the bathroom to tell my fiancé all about it and then went outside to call Ms. A. who calmly told me that this is what happens because of gravity and that I may be swollen there for a few weeks. My response, “So, I should stand on my head then?!” We both had a good laugh.

We made it home and I immediately went for the couch where I was able to lay on my stomach (hoping that any trapped fluids would seep out of those holes in my abs to reduce that swelling!) and I fell asleep for a couple of hours. When I awoke, I felt fine but still a little groggy. I went across the street to hang out with my neighbor for a little while.

3/24/09: What little bruising I had disappeared within days! Over the past 2.5 weeks I’ve been making sure the ace bandages are on my arms as I have discovered that leaving them off all day cause seromas to appear. Now that I’m wearing the bandages most of the time, I find that I am lump free!

Today was inner and outer thighs and banana roll day. I was incredibly nervous because I was fearing the uncontrollable shaking from the epi. This time instead of taking valium, I took 1 mg of Klonopin because I know that worked wonders on severe anxiety attacks that caused uncontrollable shaking. Guess what? The shaking was so minimal and I was so relieved. The legs had the worst pain of all, though tolerable. When I squealed that the pinching was too much, Dr. administered more of the tumescent fluid and then was able to continue the procedure which didn’t hurt. When it came time for the lasering, I was quite relaxed and thought I could probably nap through the rest of the procedure. I ended up asking for my cell phone and texted my co-worker and my husband to let them know I was almost done! My Dr found pretty funny that I was texting. I liked that the Dr and nurses had great sense of humor and we laughed a lot during the entire procedure. That made me feel a lot more comfortable and relaxed.

I have had no real pain medication at all. I did, however, take one aspirin for a headache and thought it would be a good idea to help prevent clots. I had knee surgery in Nov 2007 and Dec 2007 and my surgeon had me take aspirin for two days following the surgery to prevent any clots. He also had me doing foot flexes to keep the circulation in my legs going. I decided to follow that advice. I have also taken my vitamin K and C as well as drink cranwater. (1 part 100% cranberry juice that you can buy at Trader Joe’s and 7 parts water). The cranwater helps to flush fat and water out of your system. I’m peeing up a storm!

It’s now midnight and I’m sitting up in bed, needing to make that trip to the bathroom again, but that’s ok. I know that I’m flushing out all of this residual fat and fluids so I hope to keep the swelling to a minimum. I was told I could go home and take a shower without any soap and continue to work some of the remaining fluids out of my incisions. So, I did just that because by the time I got home, my bandages were quite saturated and the bloody fluid was dripping all over the travertine in my bathroom. So, I was better off standing in the shower to remove the bandages and then rinse off.

It was so nice to just stand in the shower to warm up a bit. I proceeded to gently work out the fluid for about 15 minutes until it seemed that it was very minimal dripping from the incisions. I patted off with an old towel that I didn’t care about getting blood all over. What I used for bandages were the Walgreens 4” x 4” sterile gauze pads 30 count and Walgreens sterile large bandages (12 count). I first opened the bandage and laid it on the counter and then opened the gauze pad which I folded in half one way and then folded in half the other way to form a thick square. It was the perfect size to place in the center of the bandage. I then applied a very tiny bit of Neosporin in the center of the pad and then applied the bandage gauze pad combination to the incision site. My little invention works PERFECTLY!! I cannot use the medical tape because I end up with red raised marks on my skin but these bandages do not cause any reaction at all. When the incisions stop draining, I will do as I now do with my arms and abs and that is us the Walgreens clear round bandages (60 count) and apply a dab of vitamin E to the little pad and apply to the incision site. I’m hoping the vitamin E will help the redness of the incision disappear.

When I got home today, I was a little tired but not so tired that I couldn’t make steamed zucchini with stewed tomatoes, onions, and Italian spices. The Dr stated I wasn’t to eat any carbs today to veggies were all I bought this morning in preparation for my meals after I returned home from the procedures. The zucchini was so yummy and I topped it with a little bit of freshly grated parmesan cheese for flavor.

I rested with my feet up on a pillow on the couch most of the day with little intervals of walking around the house doing some laundry and dishes. Later in the evening I noticed I had to change two of the bandages on the upper left of my thigh and banana roll. The freaked a bit because one of them drained a lot of very dark blood! I went hunting around for the Dr’s phone number but it was nowhere to be found and oddly enough, I wasn’t given ANY paperwork when I checked out today!! I am very disappointed about that. BUT thank goodness my neighbor is an RN so I called her over and she checked out my drainage and took my blood pressure. BP was on the high side but that was caused by anxiety. She said the drainage was fine and she continued to apply pressure to the site stating that it looked good as it was clotting there. She suggested I take another Klonopin just to help me relax which would bring down the BP. I applied my new bandages to the two sites and all is well.

Walking around is just a tad painful but it just feel like someone punched me in a couple of places. LOL When I go to the bathroom, I have to almost do the squat thing as you would do when going in a public toilet. It’s really not too bad.

I know I have written a novel here but I wanted to give you as much detail as possible. I will try to get my pictures up in a day or two. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

It's been a few years since the procedures. I'm...

It's been a few years since the procedures. I'm still glad I did it but looking back, I would have found a more reputable facility and plastic surgeon. My husband's procedure was a complete waste of money. He was left with lumps under his chin that finally went away but left extra skin, so... he still has that double chin thing going on that he paid to have corrected in the first place! No one ever did a thing about it either.

When I read stories about Sono Bello Scottsdale, I see different Dr. names all of the time. My guess is, no one ever stays at these places. I know the entire staff was fired back in 2009 for being on their phones even during procedures. Get this, even Dr. Ian Parker was on his phone during my surgery! He even left the room to take phone calls! How insane is that? Not too professional. Even the office manager, Terri, who was listed as the Aesthetician somehow got the boot too. My guess is for her unhanded ways of selling.

My results were just ok and I am probably more pleased with how my arms turned out than anything else. My thighs seem to be the same as prior to the smart lipo but at least I don't have the chance of getting saddlebags, I suppose. I started out wearing a petite size 4-6 and I currently wear a petite size 4. I'm probably 10+ lbs less than I was and I haven't execised in a year either. LOL I did, however, get married to my very longtime fiance this year and I looked awesome in my strapless wedding gown. When I see those pictures I think how glad I was to have had my arms done! I was about 108 lbs on my wedding day (I'm 5' 3") and looked and felt totally awesome!!

Now, as far as the thighs go, I still don't wear shorts too much. I've power walked almost every day for at least a year soon after that smart lipo and I still didn't like how my thighs looked. Months after the lipo, I went back for a consult because of the complaint regarding the outcome of my thighs. The side by side pictures of before and after DID appear a little different, but nothing to really be happy about. They offered free visits for some veloshape but I didn't see any results from that. I am still disappointed that I didn't confront them about my results and here I am three years later, still angry that we spent a lot of money and we're only happy with my ONE area (arms). My husband got screwed for sure.

5 Years Later.... :(

I've been seeing the commercials lately for Sono Bello.... still advertising body contouring. They tick me off... so I googled them and found a plethora of negative reviews on the Bell Rd., Scottsdale, AZ location and I have to agree with every one of them!

OK... so, I'm just months away from the big 5-0 and I wonder if I'm heading towards the "change" in life or what, but give me a break! I've NEVER been a fat person, nor am I fat at this moment. Though I FEEL absolutely huge... for me. But I'm exactly the weight I was on weigh-in day prior to the Smart Lipo. OK... my life has been a little more sedentary than it was since I had been working out daily for a while up until 3 year ago. Long story... death in the family... family bs... no time for anything but lawyers and sociopaths... LOL

Long story short, I think I look exactly as I did prior to the Smart Lipo procedures!! I am not happy!! So, I am convinced that anything that comes easy just isn't worth it and won't be long term. I know if I head back to the gym and get back to my daily regimen, I'll feel better, tone back up, and lose the 10-15 lbs I gained since my wedding back in March 2012.

I would highly suggest that anyone thinking about spending too much money on this "non-invasive" procedure hold on tight to your money! And if you really really need to do this, go find a REAL certified plastic surgeon who specializes in just that... plastic surgery. Do your research! Avoid any high-pressure sales! No REAL plastic surgeon will pressure you into anything and they won't sick their office staff into pressuring you either.
Sono Bello: Dr. Ian Parker

Dr. is quite experienced and very accommodating with a great sense of humor. He listens to your concerns. He and his staff make sure you are always comfortable and keep you informed with everything that is going on. BUT he spends time on the phone WHILE performing surgery... or even leaves you in the room waiting while he chats on the phone outside the room.

I enjoyed reading your review. Sorry you weren't happy with all of your results except your arms. Hope all is well. Bb
i agree with you..credentials are everything!!!
how did you get lipo with an autoimmune disease i cant becuase of mine did you not use a board certified surgeon
Im having my flank and abs done on thursday August 13th. very nervous. I have some health condition and am concerned about them. I was just told my thyroid is hyper and am concerned about the numbing ingredients. I plan to fly to Utah a week after my procedure and am concerned about recovery. I'm not young, Im 58. any advice can also reach me at lauraleeky1951@yahoo.com
Catylilme, I saw your post regarding the pain and lumps and what had happened at the center. I didn't have any complications at all but did have lumps and a some pain as expected over several weeks. I still have numbess in the back of my arms but that too is expected for a while. I had my one-month follow-up and my arms had improved but my thighs had NO improvement at all! My Dr. had not taken any fat from the problem area (front of thighs) so of course, I had no improvement because that's where the fat is! I have a follow-up with the Dr. himself in a couple of weeks and will discuss what he can do to rectify this. I refuse to do the procedure again as the pain and shaking was really too much for me. I will eventually hire a personal trainer and see if a rigorous excercise program will help. I do lots of walking but apparently that doesn't work, so I figure a trainer will know exactly what excercises I should be doing to target my problem areas. My diet is very good and I TRY to stick to the Fat Flush Diet Plan as best as I can. Will post more after follow-up with the Dr. I say thumb's up for my arm procedure and thumb's down for the inner and outter thighs.
Amy Joy, glad to hear from you.Went away over the Easter weekend. Have you had any recent photos??? So keen to see your progress!!!!
Where are you Amy-Joy?????
i'm right here jolene... http://www.realself.com/review/smart-lipo-saddlebagspiece-o-cake-0 hope that helps.
Hi Catylilme, Glad to hear you got those procedures split up! Were you able to request the split talking to Dr. P about it? My arms are much better but they're still healing. I still feel s tiny bit of lumpiness and can see very very faint bruising and same goes for legs. I still have tender areas on my legs especially inner knees. There's been this pain and burning feeling in the upper back of my thighs (banana roll) and that's been a little annoying. After my arms were done, I made sure I was raising them up over my head and doing arm bends to keep them from getting stiff. I had heard other people say they couldn't raise their arms at all for a while. Doing those excercises in the shower helps because of the hot water aids in loosening up the muscles. I still do these excercises while sitting at work... :)
Hi sashaperez, I have been reading "The Fat Flush Plan" by Ann Louise Gittleman and that's where I got the cranwater from. Sorry it's been a while since I posted last, but by the time I get home from work, I'm toast. redsoxgirl1970, I'm a native Bostonian! :) I scared myself silly too but thankfully I know how to find the information I need and ask the right questions. It's your body, so don't let anyone MAKE you do something you don't feel comfortable doing. If you don't feel quite right about the Dr. or staff, then make sure you find a different Dr. I'm glad I know how to speak up about things when I'm uneasy about something. I didn't feel right about having lots of procedures done on in the same visit and by letting the Dr. know how I felt about it allowed him to actually make the decision to break up the procedures into two visits three weeks apart. Catylilme, did you have all of your procedures done on the same day? I'm sorry I wasn't able to get back to you before hand. I hope all went well. For those thinking of having multiple procedures on the same visit, my recommendation is to NOT do more than two areas at a time. Though many places are touting this procedure as "non-invasive", I highly disagree. It's very taxing on the entire body so don't let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise. Just having my arms and abs done on the first day was enough to offset my system that on day 2 I had an out-of-the-blue anxiety attack while in the shower. I haven't had panic attacks really in years but the arnica sent me into one a week prior and now this. All that bruising and upset in fluids is trauma to your system and your body has to repair itself. If this were truly a non-invasive procedure, you wouldn't need antibiotics now would you?! Think about it... :) Well, I'm looking at my calendar now and I'm 45 days post-op for the arms and abs and 26 days post-op for thighs. My arms and abs are looking awesome and I'm still hoping for more and more improvement. I need to get on the Wii Fit more!! My knees look better but my pet-peeve fat is still on the front of my thighs! My follow-up visit is next Saturday and if I don't see any improvement by then, someone is going to hear all about it. Don't tell me how I'm going to be at least two dress sizes smaller when my pre-op size 4 wasn't the issue. My PANT size was 4-6 pre-op and my realistic goal of 3/4 is what I wanted. I don't see that happening as my "trouble" areas were not smart lipo'd. I'm very disappointed with what I see in my thighs. I still wear the pre-op pant size 4-6 and I'm @ 122 lbs which is my pre-op weight, though I was up 2 lbs on the day of the arm procedure. I've been trying to get below 122 but it just never happens!! I'm being very impatient, I know... but... I'm just ticked because I made it so very clear that the fronts of my thighs had to GO!! I told the them, "I don't want to feel the fat wiggling on the front when I walk." ARGH!! So, now I'm trying "The Fat Flush Plan" with the hope of flushing my system of the unwanted fat that was left behind. I was able to drop a couple of lbs and I do feel so much better when I'm not eating junk. I do quick walking laps around the building at work during lunch and breaks too. I just have to keep moving and keep motivated!!
I loved your detailed, cute, funny story!!! Quick question about the cranwater -- where did you here this from? Just Curious??
Love the details. I'm going in to get my upper/lower abs and hips done on 4/30/09 and have been scaring myself silly reading all the bad posts. Your post has actually calmed me. I'm going out to buy the Arnico tomorrow and the gauze pads invention you mentioned. Please keep us updated!! Thank you so much for writing your post and adding the pictures.
Hi Jolene, I haven't worn shorts in public for the last two years, let alone a bathing suit! Right now, I can't see any difference in my legs except that the bruising is finally beginning to lessen. The bruising was so horrid that it really looked like I had been in a bad accident. I've been wearing the spanx-type garment for the last week and all I can wear over those are dress pants which are looser than jeans. My jeans fit fine without the garment but with the garment on, forget it! I am a couple pounds heavier than my pre-op weight which is ticking me off... but I was fairly warned by those on here as well as by my Dr. to NOT step on a scale for a while. Geez, you'd think after a week, my weight would begin to drop off. But NOOOO!! I'm very interested to see how smart lipo performed on the inner & outer thighs can improve the fronts of my thighs because right now, I see no improvement there at all... Honestly, no fat was removed from the fronts where the fat is most abundant! This will be discussed at my one-month post-op appointment because I spent over $6k to get what I asked for as well as what I was told I was going to get. Amy Joy, my top bruising was soooo minimal that it was gone in about a week. My abs barely bruised at all. The legs are looking far better as far as bruising though ;) The bruises are still painful and after sitting for a while (like at work), I have to stand slowly because it feels like I'm stretching out muscles that are really stiff. After walking for a bit, everything stretches out again. I can't cross my legs very much because of the bruising on the inner knees. I've been itchy but I'm sure it's from this garment that I'm wearing all day long. The arnica gel is drying out my skin too. It's time to get on a workout plan again. I keep procrastinating!! ARGH!!
hey spunky...don't lose hope. i hear that before you look better, you actually have to look worse. my doc said that your top bruising and swelling is at 2 weeks, and then it should go down from there. this is day 6 for me and my bruises and swelling are no fun at all...actually looks like i didn't have anything done accept get beat up. if your arms are showing improvement, believe that your legs will too. my doc also said that the lower down on the body the procedure is done, the longer it takes to heal. hope these words are encouraging. i won't lose hope if you don't. take care...
Totally loved all the detail. When signing up for this kinda thing you want to know the whole truth. Would love to see more pics... I am really hoping to see a HUGE difference, do you think I am setting myself up for dissappintment??? I am fairly tinly on the top of my body but have a sagging large butt and thunder thighs!!! So i am so out of proportion. Wont wear shorts, skirts, costume, only long pants!!! Please give me your honest opinion. Thanx a million xxxxxxxx
Day #7 post-op: I am sooooo bruised! The bruising has been pretty bad. Last night my legs were just hurting all over and trying to find a good position to sleep in was a pain in my butt! I prefer to sleep on my side with one leg atop the other BUT with the bruising on the inside of my knees, that's not happening any time soon. I have been wearing the stretch pants they gave me called Barely There but there's a seam on the inner thigh of these things and that's not helping the severe bruising I have. So, last night I opted for the good 'ole ace bandages instead. I've been using the arnica gel a few times a day hoping that will reduce this horrid bruising but I suppose that will take quite some time. I'll try to get a pic or two up to show you all just how bad this really looks! What we go through for beauty?! This morning I was standing in front of my three-way mirror feeling so disappointed with how my legs are looking. They don't seem any different, except a little bit of fat reduction around my knees. I made it crystal clear to Ms. T and Dr. P that my biggest pet peeve was the fat on the FRONT of my thighs yet the procedures didn't even touch that stuff!! I don't know what the heck the inner and outer thigh area has to do with the stuff on the front of my thighs, but I'm telling you, I will not be too happy with this whole thing if I'm still stuck with same ugly thighs I had when I went in for the two consultations. The only reason I have given smart lipo a thumb's up thus far is because my arms are looking better and better each day. Thank you, Mimijess, STM and sanjosewoman for your thoughtful posts. ;)
You look amazing! Hopefully, I will have a good result like yours. Thanks for detailed informations and the wonderful pics. Have a good evening!
Really great, thoughtful post. Thanks for sharing your story - the pics look great!
Day #3: The bruising isn't getting an worse and the swelling is apparent THOUGH I can still pull on an old pair of jeans and they don't feel snug, so there's a plus! I recall the nurse telling me that 1300 ccs of fat and fluid were removed which to me just doesn't seem to be any huge amount. I'm telling you, I feel as though the Dr. could have sucked out another 1300 ccs!! Now I play the waiting game, right? They gave me a pair of Spanx-like stretch pants that are a size L and they don't have quite enough compression. Obviously, I started out as a size 4/6 so these Large stretch pants aren't going to cut it. I called the Dr's office and they're giving me a smaller size. Hopefully, my fiance remembers to stop by to pick it up on his way home today because I refuse to do that 90 mile round-trip! Other than that little inconvenience, I've been feeling quite fine having just taken my Yorkie, Spunky, out for a walk to the front gate to pick-up the mail. I'm thinking of breaking out the Wii fit soon! :)
awesome post thanKS!!
ok, first of all....YOU CRACK ME UP! the details and the humor were great! i go in tomorrow for my outer thighs (saddle bags). should i be nervous? please post pics...that would be awesome. i'm mostly scared about all of the medication i have to take, and the bruising and swelling afterwards. i was told to buy maxi pads for the draining...just stick them under the garmet and they will stay put and absorb the yucky stuff. is there anything else you can tell me to prepare me for tomorrow morning? thanks so much! you should be a writer or a comedian. loved reading your description of smart lipo. talk to you soon.
Hi Amy Joy! Thank you for the review of my review! LOL I do like humor and I tend to find it in all things, even when it may not be so humerous at the time. :) I do laugh at myself.. A LOT! I will tell you the truth... You DO NOT need all that medication that most people here have mentioned. I was given prescriptions for valium, hydrocodone, and cephalexin (antibiotic). I took the antibiotics starting 1 day prior to the procedure and 4 days after to prevent any possible infections, though the risk of infection is very low. The valium I took for the first set of procedures made me feel doped up and I didn't tolerate the epi well. The nurse advised against taking the hydrocodone because many people get nauseated from it and end up vomiting sometime during or after the procedure. There is no reason for the hydrocodone in the first place! There is relatively no pain, except a little pinching here and there, but all of the areas are so numbed from the lidocaine that you feel nothing for at least the rest of the day. My recommendation is take no pain meds with the valium, otherwise, you'll be really really dopey... unless that's how you wish to feel!! LOL My Dr was impressed as to how well I handled the procedure yesterday on just 1 mg klonopin. I have a long history of anxiety and klonopin was the only med (besides xanax) that could stop the shakes I'd get with a panic attack. The shakes from the epi were similar since the shakes from an anxiety attack are also caused from an epi rush. If you get a script for klonopin, that would be your best bet, though most people on here don't seem to have any problems with just taking valium. No need for maxi pads! I mentioned the Walgreens bandages and gauze pads in my initial review, and that's ALL you'll need. The best thing I did when I got home was jump into a nice warm shower and allowed the incisions to just drain. I did as the nurses had done and applied pressure around the areas and just let the fluid run out. After about 20 mins, I got out, dried off, and applied my Walgreens bandages w/ gauze pads and some neosporin and went out to kick my feet up and watch tv. I did have to change some of the bandages a couple of times before I went to bed last night, but when I woke up, all had stopped draining. I took another shower, dried off, I applied a spot of neosporin to the center of the clear round bandages and popped those on all 10 incision sites. I also took pics so I'll get those up in a bit. As far as preparation for your procedure, what I did was pack a carry bag with a bottle of G2 Gatorade and a vitamin water, my klonopin, ipod, camera, and sweatpants. I didn't use the camera or the ipod, but I did try texting some people while I was on my tummy during the lasering of the banana roll! I had seen all of these videos of patients texting and talking on the phone so I thought I'd give it a shot!