SmartXide Dot Therapy Laser Great So Far

I'm 36 years old with fairly good skin. I decided...

I'm 36 years old with fairly good skin. I decided to do this for preservation & maintenence. I had some age spots and a few chicken pox scars and a slight amount of tiny wrinkles. I've had three children with serious weight gain and loss associated with that. I was concerned with the laxity of my skin. The Dr. said that this would restore my skin to my early 20's.

The numbing cream was applied for almost an hour. Then she came in and wiped it off and cleaned my face with alcohol and something that smelt like acetone. I was immediately taken to the laser chair where they allowed my hubby to hold my hand during the procedure. He started and about a quarter of the way through I could not handle the pain so the Dr. gave me a shot of Versed(sp?). The smell of burning flesh is pretty bad. I don't remember anything after that. When I regained my conciousness I was at home and 2 hours had passed. Wheww..

For the next 3 hours my face burned like HECK! I thought I made a really bad decision. The 4th hour it just stopped burning. I was so thankful. I immediately started to swell. My face was a hot pink color and swelling rapidly. The grid marks started to appear 6 hours post laser. I kept my face moist with the cream/salve and iced it on a hourly basis with the cold packs the Dr. provided. I must say that frozen peas in a zip-lock bag works wonders also.

I'm taking Zovarax to make sure I don't get a fever blister. It's important to finish the whole bottle of that. The Dr. told me that if you've EVER had a feverblister you really need Zovarax. I was also told not to let my face dry out.

It's 48 hours post laser now and I am in NO PAIN. None what-so-ever. My face is starting to itch and it's driving me crazy. There appears to be the formation of crusting in small areas. I guess the peeling will begin. The swelling is still pretty bad but seems to be dinimishing a bit. I'll update more later.

I am completely healed now and it's 3 weeks post...

I am completely healed now and it's 3 weeks post SmartXide.  Please know that everything you read regarding healing is on a individual basis.  I thought I would be wearing makeup and shopping by day 5.  That was NOT the case.  Although I had minimum pain the healing process was VERY uncomfortable, time consuming, and not for those who are not EXTREMELY dedicated to spending most of your waking hours to sanatizing, sterilizing, etc.  You must drink tons of water.  I thought I would drown myself but know that's one of the reasons I healed so well.  It's so important that everything is as clean as humanly possible.  I even washed my cream jars/bottles before each use.  I sterilized all towels/cloths and bedding.  I only used Organic skin care and vinegar for the face soaks.  I used Avalon Organics and Alba NON-Petroleum Jelly instead of the horrible CP3 creams I was given.  Those were full of damaging chemicals.  Don't want to make that mistake and poison your skin after suffering through the healing process. Also you MUST AVOID the sun all together.  This is a must!  You can't even drive without wearing a scarf & hat.  I was told if you get any sun at all you will get brown spots.  It's 3 weeks out and I feel like a vampire but a pretty one.  I realize now how hard it is to avoid the sun.  If you are considering this just know that it is not like getting a microderm abrasion or light peel.  It's serious.    There are many risk but for me I lucked out and didn't have any complications.  Good luck.  I also wanted to add that my tiny  wrinkles & fine lines are back after all the swelling went down.  I was told it takes 3-6 months for the collagen to completely fill in so we'll see.  I will update this periodically with photos and anything I can think of that may help others.  :-)

My Dr. was excellent.

Thank you for sharing your story. Your results are amazing. I have my first appt in a couple of weeks and I can hardly wait. I'm so excited!
Your post was so helpful . I kind of massage face when I cleanse it is that bad ? Also how many times did u cleanse it and what day did you start applying lotion ?
thank you for your posts. did your wrinkles/lines ever disappear?
I didn't have much for wrinkles, but what small amount I did (have around the corners of my eyes) was lessened. That is the only improvement I saw from the whole procedure. It would be the only area I would recommend a person have treated. I wouldn't recommend treating the whole face to anyone.
If you get ANY sun on the treated areas you will have pigment problems. I was so happy now have regrets because my skin tone is worse than I could imagine. It is great short term but unless you never see the sunshine dont do it.
Danish,

From your pictures it appears that you had the treatment done to your entire face, so I'm unclear about what you mean by only the treated areas having pigment problems? If you got any sun, wouldn't the entire face change color since you had the entire face lasered? When you go out in the sun are you wearing sunscreen? How long after your treatment did you go out in the sun again? I'm looking into getting SmartXide done and one of my concerns is what will happen to my skin once I go back out in the sun again. Any feedback would be great!! Thanks!
Can you post updated photos of the skin tone you have now to show us how it has changed for the worse?
Hi Danish. Now that some time has passed, I'm wondering if you've had any problems with hyperpigmentation? I'm already planning on moving my treatment to October to further reduce sun exposure immediately after the treatment but wanted to see if you noticed any pigmentation issues the following summer. I am super vigilant already with the sunscreen and big hats, but I do end up outside often walking the dog or at the pool with the kids in the summertime. I would appreciate any information, and thank you for your very informative initial postings on the procedure!
I had it done in Columbus, Ohio.
It says you had this procedure done in Dallas, Texas. That's where I live and I was wondering if you could please inform me the name of your doctor that did this. Thank you
Day 6 is your day to shine and by Day 7 you are completely healed. Just remember to wear your sunscreen. I can definitely see a new younger side of me. All the hard work has paid off. I just wish the days of healing would have been described better in documentation. What a week this was, and tomorrow I am going in to get a moisturizer mask.
I received the Dot Therapy treatment yesterday, Feb. 22, 2010 and the burning on day 1 was my chief complaint. Every two hours I had to apply creams and sprays. This morning, day 2, I woke up with extreme redness and swelling. I am cleansing mildly, taking ibuprofen, drinking lots of water and using my post op creams and sprays. My question is, how long will the swelling continue. It would be nice just to deal with one problem at a time. Burning and Swelling are not a great mix. I have seen before and after pictures and can't wait to get to the point where I start to look normal again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
It's me again. I can answer my own question. I'm on Day 3 and the swelling tremendously subsided. I'm very dry today and can't seem to keep any moisture on this sandpaper of mine. I'm looking forward to what Day 4 will bring. I slept pretty last well last night. I got a full 8 hours in and only got up once to spray spring water on my face.
I'm at Day 5, and the grids are for the most part gone from my face. My face is still peeling. This takes longer then I ever expected. It doesn't shed by sheets. Little by little. I like what I see underneath and I think I might actually get out of the house tomorrow (day 6). Day 4 was a breeze. I washed my face at least 3 times a day and very gently tried to loosen up the skin that was trying to peel. I never experienced any itching on my face, neck or chest. I'm thankful for that. After washing you skin may feel very tight, but as soon as you moisturize your face will feel fine and not so tight.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Did you get the procedure done in Dallas, TX? If so, who was your doctor? Since you had such great results, I'd like to know if you wouldn't mind sharing where and by whom you had the procedure done.
Great news...I'm so happy this worked for you,,I hear so many stories of women deformed and you are so pretty I felt the need to let you know.... So many have avoidable complications,,But it sounds like you did your research and are doing all the right things.. I didn't want to insult with the sterile sterile comment but so few doctors warn of this and many people end up with infections from simply using a clean towel ect... With MRSA,staph,fungal ect becoming somewhat of an epedemic it can be leave disfiguring scars if contracted and a few simple tips can help avoid it... Yet so few stress this to patients.... The vinegar water are great depending on skin type/healing and some docs don't trust you will do it right....But sounds like you know what your doing... Congrats on your success...
Also with 3 kids I doubt your towels are washed seperate and on sanitary... I started after reading the 12 germiest places on MSNBC Doctors forget because they work in sterile offices...Our homes may be clean but far from sterile... Everything that touches your face needs to be sterile sterile sterile...Pillowcases towels ect...Hands lotion bottles ect Clean laundry is not really that clean and with staph fungal ect so easy to catch...It's actually in the top 12 of germiest things clean,,,,untill it goes in the dryer.. Be careful with deep micro holes in your face... If anything feels off or you are prone to Candida or yeast ect..Let your doc know... Good luck
Danish Please see my pics I did Fractionated for the same reason and had nice skin before... Please don't do this again it's not safe and you are too pretty without severe issues that need repaired..you don't need it.. My face used to be smooth now it looks like I had severe acne...It's horrible.. Unless you are already suffering a deformity...It's way to risky... I had this in a great Plastic surgeons office
I am SO SORRY that you didn't have positive results. I had SmartXide which is somewhat different from Fraxel. It is less intense and with a much faster healing time. My face has healed perfectly with no adverse reactions what-so-ever. I'm a clean FREAK and sterilize each laundry load except hand wash items. I also washed every single lotion jar and tube of cream. I use ORGANIC skin care which I am 100% positive is the reason I healed so quickly. I also used organic vinegar and water soaks which my Dr. said NOT to do. I'm a rule breaker I guess but know my body and researched this in depth. Good luck to you and I hope with time you are able to come out of this and heal properly. :-)
So you JUST got this done, and it's your first treatment?? How many are you going to get? I am seriously considering SmartXide, but the pics are scaring me a little. do you have any before pics or any as of today?? So curious and want to make the right choice!!1
I do have pics that I will add. Everything is completely healed. ALL of my dark spots are GONE. It removed every single age spot on each side of my face. With saying that, NONE of my tiny wrinkles are gone. The Dr. said I have to wait 3-6 months for the collagen to build up and fill those in. This makes sense but I was under the impression I would see immediate results. I DID see them immediately but when the swelling was completely gone the wrinkles came back. Hope this helps and later this evening when I have a minute I'll download more pics. Thanks :-)