SmartXide DOT Laser Therapy

Today is Wednesday, 11/26/08. I had the SmartXide...

Today is Wednesday, 11/26/08. I had the SmartXide Dot treatment on Monday, 11/24/08. I'm 55 years old, with some acne scarring, uneven coloring, patches of large pores, some small broken capillaries around my nose. I would love to see my coloring evened out & the scarring diminished.

My doctor numbed me, but there was still quite a sting. The burning sensation was more of an issue for me than the stinging, but that subsided a few hours later. I am very fair and I turned pretty red all over. I had my neck done and it was actually less painful than my face. I thought it would be the opposite. The doctor told me that the neck area is less sensitive than the face.

I can see though that it might take longer for my neck to get back to its normal color. Some parts of my face are starting to go back to normal color, but some parts are still red. My neck however is one big reddish-pink area! It's hard to imagine that my red neck will be back to normal by tomorrow.

Right now I look pretty awful, but that's not stopping me from getting out and doing some shopping! I pack on the sunscreen and put on some big sunglasses and wrap a light silk scarf around my neck so the demarcation line is not so stark.

Later today I visit my doctor, who'll check on the progress of my SmartXide treatment. We'll see--right now the jury is still out on whether it was worth it since it's too early to tell.

I'll check in later with an update!

This thread is from a while back, but if anyone knows: did the dots from the laser go away? and how long for the redness to subside? and how long after the wrinkles come back (after the swelling) do they go away (from real collagen remodelling)?
from what I have read, my situation was atypical. My redness lasted for several months but was actually the beginning of hyperpigmentation. I had this treated by another M.D. with hydroquinine products and chemical peels and after about a year, it was under control and the darker blotches are gone. But I now live in hi-spf sunscreen. Not sure about your question regarding the dots. After treatment, my dots dried up, turned to scabs and fell off. But they did did leave very tiny indentations in my skin that remain to this day. They are hard to see with the naked eye but they are visible if you point them out--so they are there. I hope this doesn't scare you--it seems like my experience was atypical from what I have read. Smartxide and the inexperienced doctor I chose were all wrong for me!
I'm so sorry. At least you have to point out the problems only. :) I am not being overly lighthearted, just trying to say that's a good thing!!!!! I am happy for you about that.
On about the second or third day after DOT, I look like a tomato set out in the sun too long. No later than the fourth day, I can see my face shape returning. By the fifth day the redness is fading but I'm still peeling pretty bad. You really have to give yourself close to a week with this. It's not an overnight process.
i am male nearly 71 i have wrinkles in my lips & my jowls hang down i have seen a cosmetic specilist he said he could vastly improve this & my own docter said it would be ok, do you think that i am being silly.?

I just had the Dot laser today at noon. The numbing injections were slightly painful and the treatment was a little uncomfortable however I can see under eye emprovements and forehead smoothness. For about an hour after the treatment, the burning was bad but all pain is gone in 3 hrs. So glad to have done it. i do have some red dots that my dr explained before and should be gone soon.

Of course you are not being silly. If you feel younger than you look, why shouldn't you try some restorative work? For serious sagging though, you'll probably need a face lift.

I had the DOT Laser on Friday September 10, 2010. I had my face, neck and chest done. After they cleansed my face, and put the numbing cream on, the doctor started the Laser treatment. Yes, it had a sting, but it was tolerable. My neck was tender when the Laser was active. My skin felt hot and like a sunburn. The procedure took about 30 minutes. Immediately after the doctor had finished, the assistance places ices water bath gauze on the treated area which felt awesome. This took 20 minutes and was to cool the skin. I drove myself home! I never had to put the "frozen pea" packs on not even once. I had NO discomfort what so ever. I have taken daily pictures, and see a HUGE difference in my skin already. It is now Sunday, and I took a shower, cleansed my face, and did the proper skin care for post treatment with Aquaphor cream. I WOULD DO THIS AGAIN and probably will at some point. I will go to work on Monday looking like I have a sunburn/suntan like when people ski and the goggles outline their eyes after a day on the slopes. It's not freaky or scary, or gonna stop traffic and make people run. I had my procedure done at BodyAZ in Phoenix. They are amazing and I trust them completely. The cost of this is on special right now so if your in Phoenix and want to have this done.... CALL THEM. Tell Helene, Rhonda sent you. (special ends soon) This is without a doubt the best thing I have done for myself. I am 46 and have already been told I look 12 years younger!!!
Rhonda, Thanks for sharing your experience, I am going to do the dot laser in two weeks, I would like to kown how you are recoveing now? I am an Asian, do you know any Asian has done this and how is the result? Thanks
Had my Dot Laser yesterday...I was chocked at the pain and swelling, terrible! Swollen, red, brown scabs etc. Don't know about any results, too early to tell. The procedure was a lot more painful than what the Doc told me. Have had 2 vaginal births, no pain meds, fallen off horses, several rooth canals etc. I would NEVER do this again!!!!
I have my dot therapy done 4 days ago, and my skin starts peeling off yesterday, but the new skin is still very very red,the make up doesn't stay on. I don't know if the skin will turn back to my normal complexion, I have very fair skin. Now I am starting to worry that the redness will stay on which really looking abnormal to me. I was expecting to see the normal skin color once the dead skin peels off, how come it doesn't happen? The degree of redness is so serious that I can't imagine it will subside in short time. Anyone out there have the same experience like me?
Juliew--The smoothness that I first saw is not quite the same--I had my dot therapy done around 11/20/08. My crepey wrinkles are back, but not as bad as before. I still can see little indentations in my skin that I know are from the dot therapy because they are so evenly spaced, just like the dot laser. As time goes by I do see them diminish. I have to admit that the dot therapy is not the cureall I had hoped for, but I do see imprvement to my skin. It is tighter, smoother and less blotchy. I have to keep reminding myself that it is not a face lift nor is it Fraxel which requires several weeks of downtime. Having said all of that, I am fgiving it one more shot in March when I have a second & last dot therapy. Hope this helps.
Had dot therapy wed. I'm 45 years old and a sunworshipper and smoker all my life. 2 days later I am swollen and have "hatch" marks as well as the dots on my face, which makes me look very strange! The procedure was uncomfortable, but I had numbing cream on for an hour prior, and a valium also. I used cold packs throughout the last 2 days. Much as I hate the greasy feeling, I have had the aquifor on my face night and day since the evening after the procedure. During the first day it felt too "hot" to put anything on it other than ice packs in a soft cloth. I am hoping that I will not need or want another treatment, it was quite expensive, $1,200. I was told the treatment will not show it's full effects for at least 3 months, as additional self made collegen keeps the healing process going under the skin.
Can anyone who has had the dot therapy help answer my question? I had the procedure done 2 weeks ago and my skin looked great the first few days after I could wear makeup, but now the crepey wrinkles are back and I still see very little dots after I put my sunscreen on. I am wondering if my skin will look slightly worse before it gets better? I have read everyone saying about a month or so. I want to call the dr and ask if this is the case but dont want to offend them for they are friends of ours! I am 40, so I thought my wrinkles were not that deep? Thanks I would appreciate some feedback, for I dont know if it was worth the money and frustrated by what I see in the mirror.
Hey, julie! I too am 40 and just got the laser dot therapy done last week. I feel exactly as you do- looked great for a couple days and now I look the same. The four brown spots that were on my cheek are STILL on my cheek! Shouldn't those, at least, have disappeared? Anyway, it's been a while since you had it done now. Did you ever see a difference? Do you think maybe your doctor didn't do it on a hard enough strength? I would lOVE your feedback! Thanks!!
A Belz--I had mine done in Nov. & will get second in March '09. I did not experience scarring but I treated my skin very gently afterwards and kept it from drying out too soon. I think it is important that the first 3-5 days you keep the skin moisturized. On the first pm of the treatment, I did not wash or touch much because of the burning sensation. I very gently washed the next morning and began to let my skin air dry a bit. That was when I noticed one of the scabs was drying up and tearing away from raw skin and a little blood oozed. I gently wet my face and applied the creams provided by Smartxide and topped that with Aquaphor. This is just me but I think that's why i didn't scar. I do not see thinning as much as more sensitivity. But despite this, I see improvements in tone and texture
A Belz, I have done the Smartxide fractional CO2 laser treatment twice and I am contemplating doing it a third time. Each person is different in terms of the results they will see and how aggressive their doctor will be with them. I have olive toned skin and am not a candidate for a full CO2 laser treatment or dermabrasion. I was looking to address acne scars and I got what I consider pretty good results. I had tried a half dozen or so other treatments (IPL, Fraxel, microdermabrasion etc.) with not so much as one scar disappearing. Some treatments actually made things worse. Smartxide gave me 20-30% improvement the first time around and I am currently sitting with a 40-60% improvement. Its hard for me to tell what level I am really at currently as I have a hard time remembering what it used to be like before I started this process until I see pictures. All I know is my skin is night and day and very livable now. I love the freedom I have to not wear make-up. I am swimming, skiing and opening doors without thinking about how my skin looks. I know my skin now looks terrific! It has been liberating for me. My skin has not thinned and Smartxide actually corrected some pigment/scarring left over from my five fraxel nightmare treatments years earlier. If your doctor is competent you won't have any scaring from Smartxide. Good-luck, Allison
Hi Allison, reading your message makes me feel positive about getting this treatment? How are you fairing now. I am asian and i think i would be considered olive skinned. I went to see my doctor and he recommended dot therapy for me. the thing is...is that ive heard so many different stories. I am so scared it's going to end up not right. I've heard that dot therapy isn't supposed to be used on darker skin tones. maybe i can send you a picture of me and you can tell me what you think? I have a lot of ice pick scars...my doctor considered me mild to moderate but not that bad. i've just had them forever that i want to get rid of them. Especially when people make comments about them and I am so self conscious about my skin. I am contemplating getting this done in january 2010. i used to be accutane patient so i am waiting for 6 to 12 months to pass. i hope you will respond. thanks!
I am to have the Smartxide procedure done shortly. My doctor told me that this is a one time thing and now I am reading of patients that are needing more and more treatments. Can anyone relate to this? Also, I have read from some of your replys that the skin gets thinner from the treatment and that there may be scarring. I am getting a little worried at this point after hearing these comments. What can you tell me in reference to these questions that I have? I am not sure I want to have this done now.
I had a photo facial laser treatment done 2 years ago. I did not see any results and would not do it again. But I have pretty coarse skin so it might work better for you. For the Smartxide, I did not get sedated, just a numbing creme. And it was unpleasant, but I was able to take the pain. Everybody is different. Like I've said in previous postings, the worst time was the first hours after the lasering. My skin felt like it was burning. Now that I know what to expect, I am pretty sure that I will do a follow-up treatment in March. It's been almost 30 days since my first Smartxide & I do like what I see. Next time, I'll be more realistic about expectations for down time. BTW, Sandrasue, when I say down time I mean time where I wouldn't want to be seen by some people. This was the only thing holding me back. I never felt sick or so much in pain that I had to stay home. Just wanted to clarify my experience for you. Thanks & good luck on the photofacial!
Iracalriley, Thanks for the information. I am looking at another surgeon in town that does sciton profractional laser. Have you heard much about this laser? They will not sedate me, just use a numbing cream. Thanks for answering my questions. Sandrasue
Iracarley, Thank you for the information. I have cancelled by appointment. I received my preop in the mail. The doctor was going to sedate me and he called it a "pulsed co2 laser resurfacing." I called their office and asked if this is the same as dot therapy, and they said yes. He even gave me the brochure from SMartxide Dot Therapy. It makes me too nervous. I have four young children and I don't have a lot of down time. Thank you for sharing your story and keep us posted on how you are doing. Do you know much about photo facial procedures? I am looking for something that is no so abrasive.
Dear Sandrasue, I looked pretty bad. I have to admit it sort of surprised me. I had some swelling and puffiness & I was very red. Really a good comparison is like a very bad sunburn. That's also how to describe my skin's sensitivity afterwards. I was given a DOT aftercare kit kit made by DOT. The first day I didn't wash at all because skin was so sensitive, again like a bad sunburn. For about 1-2 hours after the treatment, your sking feels hot & the doc told me to "bring down the temperature of your skin" with icy cold plastic bags. This part is kind of scary too because it IS burning. But it does cool down and then you don't have to ice down as often that day. My doc also advised to put Aquaphor on it. I hesitated to do that at first because it's so thick & greasy. But by the second day, I could feel my skin drying & scabbing. In a couple of spots I could see raw skin and so I started to use the Aquaphor to keep skin moist and slow down the drying. I think this was a good move because I believe it helped prevent scarring--that's just my opinion. The second day I washed VERY gently with a DOT kit cleanser, applied kit balm. By the 3rd day the dots turn to little brown scabs and the red skin starts to turn brownish. As for results, I think it is still too early to tell what the full impact will be. I had this done on 11/24/08. It's now 12/20/08 and I can tell that I am still healing. There is still a patch of redness under both eyes & around my nose. Small brown freckly patches have been definitely reduced. While it's hard to be sure I do think that the texture of my skin is a little better--pores a little tighter. I went to an open house at the medspa where I had this done and was able to talk to the Smartxide DOT representative. He took a look at my face & treatment log (strength of laser used on which parts of my face) & he said that he felt that I was healing on track and that I would be seeing changes in my skin for another couple of months. In fact, he suggested that I wait until March to have a second follow-up DOT instead of now in December. That way I could see what one treatment had accomplished. So I am taking his advice. The best advice I can give you, assuming you have a good doc, is to take care of your skin once you have the DOT and don't rush it. Let it heal up and keep it moist with what your doc gives you. It took me a good 5-6 days before I felt that I looked normal. That didn't stop me from going out, but I know I looked really weird. Hope this helps, glad to share.
Allison--Here's something below that I posted under laser treatments (I think.) Let me know how the next treatment goes--good luck! I have some light (not too deep) acne scars and patches of large pores. I'm very light skinned with blotchiness & redness around my nose. I think you could say my skin is coarse & thick. I just turned 55 so my skin is getting drier but I have a huge problem with whiteheads & blackheads! Although my skin still looks pretty good for 55, it was starting to get crepey with tiny little surface wrinkles. So any or all of these things would be nice to get rid of with the Smartxide. Monday Dec 8 made 2 weeks since I got lasered. It wasn't until this past Friday that all of the tiny dot scabs had fallen off. I still continue to show some redness, actually light pink, on my neck, but it feels so smooth & soft! Now let's see if it tightens up any. Now to my face. The doc told me that she used a really high setting near my eyes to try to help with my sleep creases, so I'm still redder there than anywhere else. But I'm able to cover it up just fine. Where I really wanted to see some change was in the texture of my skin and I think I'm seeing that. Even though the little scabs have flaked off, I see some very fine peeling going on, but when I step back from the mirror my skin looks much smoother and less blotchy than what I recall. I'm really excited about this and hope that I continue to see improvements. As I said in earlier postings, I think it's going to take at least a month to truly see the results. SO far I like what I'm seeing and I have my next appointment late next week!
Iracalriley, I am having dot therapy in january. I was wondering what you looked like as soon as you got home. Were you swollen? Also, what were you instructed to do for your face. Did you wash daily? if so, what did you use for skin products? Overall, are you happy with your results? I have a lot of pores and bad texture along with wrinkles. I am a little bit nervous to have this procedure. My surgeon said the worst thing that would happen would be scarring. Thank you