Second Time’s a Charm with SmartLipo

I’ve had SmartLipo twice. Originally I was...

I’ve had SmartLipo twice. Originally I was one of its main critics but after the second time I am much happier with it.

There’s a catch. First of all, SmartLipo is new so everyone needs to consider that. No matter what they say about testing and FDA this and that, no doc is experienced yet and no one knows how it will turn out. This is why I had it done twice.

The first time, I had the “normal” SmartLipo. You get lasered and the fat is supposed to liquefy and go back into your body naturally. With this method, I didn’t have success. I waited the 3-6 months recommended by my doc before I went back and showed them that the fat was still there. They measured and everything and I had lost a tiny bit but the doc wasn’t happy with it (neither was I). So I got it done a second time and this time they suctioned the liquefied fat out like traditional liposuction. Obviously with this method I have seen results and I am happy with it. I wasn’t charged for the second procedure because my doc didn’t like the first job he’d done. This is where it pays to have a good, honest doc by the way! He could have insisted that I pay again but he didn’t ever mention it.

When I was getting it done again I did a few searches and found that a lot of people have had a similar experience with SmartLipo. Those who didn’t have suction are not as happy as those who did. So if you’re thinking about getting this, I recommend asking your doc about suction. You can tell him you don’t want to wait for your results and he will usually do it then.

i had smart lipo done i houson 4 wks ago and am stiil the same, really upsetting as it cost me 15,500. what a waste. they too 8400cc from my inner thighs, abdomen, flanks and arms. still inpain most of time and they forgot to take out three of the stiches and am just discoveing them today.
I am about to have smartlipo for the second time this week. Any advice on what I should expect or ask my PS about? I noticed almost a year later my stomach in bigger on one side then the other. My back looks good, but flank area the same.
thanks but I want to make sure the doctor is good, so am looking for personal recommendations. I have had it done previously but the doctor (although bma registered) did not do a good job
Hi Val, You could always try our London doctor directory. It links to UK surgeons as well as reviews of UK docs on RealSelf. Hope this helps, --Sharon
does anyone know I good doctor in London. I had smart lipo done last year (with suction) but the doctor took a fraction of what was there (100 ml, then 280 ml the second time) I need at least 700 ml taken out. My waist is still 32 in and my hips are 35 in. It is impossible to buy clothes and I am really disappointed that after two operations (with the same doc) it is exactly the same Many thanks to anyone who responds
I am considering SmartLipo, mostly on my abdomen, but I am still planning on having kids in the next few years (hopefully) and was wondering if the removal of fat cells from this area by SmartLipo would cause a problem with elasticity? Any thoughts? Also any recommendations for a Dr. in SoCal?
Hi Jypcy, Have you checked out our Doctor Recommendation forums? We also have a few So. Cal Smart Lipo docs active on RealSelf. Here's a link to the directory - California SmartLipo. HTH, --Sharon
Thanks a bunch. All the best, Nilda
Yes. I would doubt they would use the bipolar unless you are getting treatment on your face. Most practitioners are using Unipolar 95% of the time. This is the benefit of the accent.
Thank you. So I suppose what you are saying is when the accent tightening treatment is done I should ask for the treatment to consist of the unipolar device only and not to use the bipolar part of the treatment. Right? Thanks for you time and consideration. Nilda
Unipolar penetrates deeper than bipolar. Both will stimulate collagen production but deeper penetration can address deeper cellulite pockets etc.
Thanks. Do you mean using the unipolar setting only not the bipolar to tighten skin pre and post smart-lipo? I appreciate you sharing with us. Best, Nilda
The word on Ultrashape is that at best it can remove about 1cm of fat per treatment of a small area. Each treatment takes about 1 hour. Due to the length of treatment, the costs will be fairly pricey. There is no way to predict the number of treatments you will need. In the end you may be able to get Smartlipo in one treatment for the same result you can achieve with many treatments of Ultrashape. If you want a definitive result for the money, smartlipo is the way to go. If you want the latest in laser lipolysis, look for someone who has the Smartlipo MPX. It has two wavelenghts for enhanced lipolysis and skin tightening.
I don't know anyone in Miami but {edited} in Coral Springs and Port St. Lucie is a real expert. Over 11,000 lipo procedures and one of the most experienced smartlipo providers in the county. Editor note You must contact users privately to share this information. To contact a user privately click on their username.
May i have this Dr name i live in FL and plan to do smartlipo asap.. Both in coral springs and St. Lucie wich has the most experience? Editor note: You must be contacted privately to receive the information you requested. This requires free registration for an account.
{edited} Editor note: You must contact users privately to share doctor names. To contact another user click on their username.
Has anyone done or seen anyone who has done Ultra Shape? It is not done in the US (Yet) but is being reviewed by the FDA
I live in Monmouth County, N.J., am 58 and have "the pouch" due to genetics and 2 c-sections. Anyone have smart lipo done locally, and what kind of results achieved?
Cherry Can you tell me where you got the treatment done in Dallas? plz thanks
HI !!! well considering all of you girls so far ...i can tell all of you that definitely you MUST get fat suction with smart lipo ...since the all dr.s always mention about re touches not "traditional " one wich the cannula its use and also total anesthesia ...and remember the recuperation its longer so...in overall what ever procedure you get ,you always have to eat healthy and exercise also weight training its important lots of water and good sleep!!!! yes another good point would be the dr,'s experience too...and of course you can despite using garments and very light exercise at the beginning ...well good luck for all of you ...and i will get mine august 15 th i will read and write back then ! from Miami!
Hi Gina, I am glad I finally found someone nearby. I also live in Miami and I started reasearching about smart-lipo as I am thinking about doing my love handles next month but I would like to hear from someone who actually went through the procedure already. If dont mind, please e mail me with the name of dr who did yours. Also I went to a consultation and this doc uses a laser and ultra sound in conjuction. According to him, the result is much better when both are used as ultra sound helps in tighting the skin. I am looking foward to hearing about your experience soon, thanks
I live in miami too, can you please pass on the name of the doc that you did the procedure with??? How were your results??
Hello, I am also considering getting a smartlipo done and I am in the Miami area. Do you mind sharing with me some of your reasearch with doctors in the area? thanks
HI there! I am also in Miami and consideringhaving the procedure done. I hear there is a wonderful place in Aventura, but that is far for me since I live in Kendall. I'd love for you to email the research that was sent from the other Miami Smart-Lipo ladies. Thanks so much!
I had smart lipo about 2 months at ago and I was very happy with the results, I had my flanks, upper and lower abdomen, inner thighs and fat transfer to my butt l. After the surgery I was really happy with the results , but as time went by I started eating all the wrong foods and next thing I noticed I got on the scale and I had gained 10 PBS and it went back to my stomach. So I am considering getting a 2nd smart lipo done, anybody experienced this before?. I feel so stupid, I got my body perfect and then I go and destroy it by putting all those fattening foods on my body.